Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Inspired by the confessions thread.... 07:32 - Jan 19 with 1417 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Sh1t bands who started off ok......Coldplay! Parachutes was meh, Rush of Blood to the Head pretty good and then.....

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 07:35 - Jan 19 with 1394 viewsDubtractor

An obvious one but Kings of Leon are the best example of this.

Started off with some amazing albums, then went to absolute toot.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 07:37 - Jan 19 with 1376 viewsSteve_M

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 07:35 - Jan 19 by Dubtractor

Yes, that was going to be my pick. I saw them at Brixton in late 2003, think just after the second album came out, and they were superb. Probably still in my top three gigs.

Third album was alright, fourth just bland but some fairly decent songs. After that....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 07:42 - Jan 19 with 1365 viewsfab_lover

U2 ? Early stuff was amazing, up to "Achtung Baby" they couldn't put a foot wrong. Ignoring Bono and the posturing whilst maintaining a somewhat hypocritical tax position...as a band, they really fell off the Edge, so to speak.

The Stones have also only put out a handful (at best) of good songs since the 80s.

Dylan...well.

Nominations for any band / artist who had / have had a consistent level of quality over the years gratefully received.
Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 07:48 - Jan 19 with 1350 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 07:42 - Jan 19 by fab_lover

U2 ? Early stuff was amazing, up to "Achtung Baby" they couldn't put a foot wrong. Ignoring Bono and the posturing whilst maintaining a somewhat hypocritical tax position...as a band, they really fell off the Edge, so to speak.

The Stones have also only put out a handful (at best) of good songs since the 80s.

Dylan...well.

Nominations for any band / artist who had / have had a consistent level of quality over the years gratefully received.

Some good shouts....
The answer to your question is Radiohead, Pixies and possibly Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 07:50 - Jan 19 with 1341 viewsHerbivore

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 07:35 - Jan 19 by Dubtractor

Agreed. First album was excellent, really raw and punchy. Second album was also very good. Third album underwhelming, everything since has been bland stadium rock sh!te.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 07:55 - Jan 19 with 1323 viewsUB9Blue

Level 42 up to World Machine, this is the point that went mainstream pop
Depeche Mode
The Cure
Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 08:04 - Jan 19 with 1296 viewsHerbivore

I'm going to add ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead. Their first couple of major releases were superb but thereafter they turned to absolute toilet. I'm lead to believe a couple of their later albums are worth a listen but I can't bring myself to do it.

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 08:05 - Jan 19 with 1293 viewsDubtractor

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 07:48 - Jan 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

Some good shouts....
The answer to your question is Radiohead, Pixies and possibly Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

That chilli peppers admission should be in the confessions thread mate.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Login to get fewer ads

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 08:17 - Jan 19 with 1255 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 08:05 - Jan 19 by Dubtractor

That chilli peppers admission should be in the confessions thread mate.

Harsh but fair point.....Miss Slave told me to do it! (possibly)

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 08:18 - Jan 19 with 1254 viewsCopfordBlue

Some good shouts....

Radiohead and The Pixies sh1t bands who just started off well. Really?

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 08:56 - Jan 19 with 1197 viewsBlueBadger

Metallica.

Part of a handful of a bands who essentially created a whole new style of music.

Produced one ground-breaker in 'Kill 'Em All', two absolutely untouchable albums in 'Ride the Lightning' and 'Master of Puppets', one 'would have been great but has terrible production' album in '...and Justice For All' and redefined the genre again in '91 with 'Metallica'.

After that? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2022 9:09]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 08:58 - Jan 19 with 1182 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Biffy Clyro

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 09:07 - Jan 19 with 1150 viewsBlueBadger

Some good shouts....

The Red Hot Silly Crappers have always been sh1t mate.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 09:09 - Jan 19 with 1141 viewsDubtractor

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 08:56 - Jan 19 by BlueBadger

Metallica.

Part of a handful of a bands who essentially created a whole new style of music.

Produced one ground-breaker in 'Kill 'Em All', two absolutely untouchable albums in 'Ride the Lightning' and 'Master of Puppets', one 'would have been great but has terrible production' album in '...and Justice For All' and redefined the genre again in '91 with 'Metallica'.

They even did a remastered justice for all a couple of years ago, and inexplicably didn't make it sound any better.

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 09:17 - Jan 19 with 1099 viewssolemio

The Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 09:25 - Jan 19 with 1068 viewsEJP

Travis - 1st album was great, 2nd had the hits, then it all started to go downhill from there.
Same for Oasis.

And good shout earlier for Level 42.
Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 09:33 - Jan 19 with 1040 viewsGuthrum

Oasis. When they were still a full-blooded rock & roll band rather than a slightly odd tribute to late=Beatles whimsy, but without the humour.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

[Redacted] on 09:35 - Jan 19 with 1032 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 09:39 - Jan 19 with 1025 viewsGuthrum

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 07:37 - Jan 19 by Steve_M

Yes, that was going to be my pick. I saw them at Brixton in late 2003, think just after the second album came out, and they were superb. Probably still in my top three gigs.

Third album was alright, fourth just bland but some fairly decent songs. After that....

Saw them at a festival I think it was about five years or so after your Brixton gig. They were just tedious. Think I wandered off part-way through the set.

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 09:45 - Jan 19 with 991 viewspeterleeblue

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 08:56 - Jan 19 by BlueBadger

Metallica.

Massive Long time Fan Here.

I agree St Anger was a mis step into down tuned nonsense. However even some of those songs have been reworked effectively and put into the Live set today. I am thinking Frantic and All Within my Hands.

Hardwired to Self Destruct is a great return to form and stands versus any other Hard Rock Metal released in the last 5-6 years.
Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 09:49 - Jan 19 with 975 viewsHerbivore

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 09:25 - Jan 19 by EJP

Travis - 1st album was great, 2nd had the hits, then it all started to go downhill from there.
Same for Oasis.

And good shout earlier for Level 42.

I'm not sure Travis were ever really good.

Inspired by the confessions thread.... on 09:49 - Jan 19 with 977 viewsGuthrum

[Redacted] on 09:35 - Jan 19 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

There's the first album you've been crafting since perhaps your early teens, the tracks which got you noticed and signed by a label.

The second album is written on the road while touring the first one, perhaps with some material left over from its predecessor.

The third album is the first time you sit down to write from the perspective of having become stars, now separated from your early inspiration, living in a new and strange world.

By the fourth or fifth album, you're all tired, fed up with the record company pressure, perhaps fed up with other band members, maybe relying on drink or drugs to keep you going. And there's a good chance, unless a songwriting genius, you've run out of ideas or become totally introspective (producing tracks about how sh1t being a rock star actually can be).

The ones who get through that are either very close-knit units who stay united, or those who have established enough power over their label to take breaks and work at their own pace.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024