Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players you wish had made it at Town 18:01 - Jan 20 with 5267 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Don't think we've done this before.

Can players we signed or that came through the yoof set up who never did it despite our no doubt completely fair and reasonable expectations to the contrary

For me Luca Civelli, was super excited by him Big Jim was finding his feet as manager and Luca was exotic, South American, attacking, cost a million quid, all things that whet the appetite when a new signing is incoming.... Comparisons with Taricco (and Paz) would no doubt be made .... with this added Uruguayan flair we would surely PL bound once more, perhaps not that season but hive the lad 6 months to settle and the following season it was on.

Only for him to suffer tbe most horrific knee injury a month after his debut (a valentines day debut).

Gutted.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:04 - Jan 20 with 2819 viewshoppy

Jordan Rhodes... don't really know what happened to him, seemed to slip off quietly, never to be hardly mentioned ever again...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:06 - Jan 20 with 2802 viewstractordownsouth

Not sure if this counts because he did well when he was here but I do wish Jonny Williams had been able to stay fit and sign on a permanent.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:06 - Jan 20 with 2791 viewsHerbivore

Owen Garvan. When he first broke through I thought we'd unearthed a real talent, looked like he could be a Championship version of Gerrard. He never really kicked on.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:07 - Jan 20 with 2793 viewsGeoffSentence

With you on Civelli. His career was cut all too short for us. Looked like he was going to be a star until that injury which just dragged on and on and on.

Another one I wanted to succeed for us was David Healy, was lethal for Northern Ireland, was perenially linked with us time after time we failed to get him, and when we finally did, as much as I willed him to be as excellent as he was for his country, he was shlt

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:09 - Jan 20 with 2783 viewsChurchman

Stuart Slater. I remember seeing him play on tv for West Ham when he was very young and he was brilliant. It all went quiet for him at West Ham and when he came here, I thought perfect place to fire up his career. Came from Sudbury, talented, good passer away we go.

Shame that instead of a springboard for his career he fell off it. Hopeless.

Of Yoof players, the biggest disappointment was Bowditch. At 16 he looked the business. He managed a good lower league career in the end, but what a disappointment.
Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:09 - Jan 20 with 2770 viewsIllinoisblue

Scott Fraser

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:10 - Jan 20 with 2774 viewshoppy

Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:09 - Jan 20 by Churchman

Stuart Slater. I remember seeing him play on tv for West Ham when he was very young and he was brilliant. It all went quiet for him at West Ham and when he came here, I thought perfect place to fire up his career. Came from Sudbury, talented, good passer away we go.

Shame that instead of a springboard for his career he fell off it. Hopeless.

Of Yoof players, the biggest disappointment was Bowditch. At 16 he looked the business. He managed a good lower league career in the end, but what a disappointment.

Re Bowditch... just how many contract extensions was he given, in the hope he would come good? Wasn't he linked with both Liverpool and Arsenal at that young age?

Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:11 - Jan 20 with 2771 viewsMattinLondon

I’m pretty sure that Civelli had a good career in Argentina after he left us so that may well say a lot about Keane’s ability.

JET - had the ability but for some reason it never happened.
Billy Clarke - I wanted him to do really well especially as he overcame a serious injury but it wasn’t to be.

Liam Trotter - a completely wrong red card really set him back here. He did however have a fairly good career.
Login to get fewer ads

Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:12 - Jan 20 with 2760 viewsMattinLondon

Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:06 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

Owen Garvan. When he first broke through I thought we'd unearthed a real talent, looked like he could be a Championship version of Gerrard. He never really kicked on.

He was quite aggressive in his first few days but then got sent-off against Leicester (think it was them) and was never really the same after that.
Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:15 - Jan 20 with 2756 viewsChurchman

Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:10 - Jan 20 by hoppy

Re Bowditch... just how many contract extensions was he given, in the hope he would come good? Wasn't he linked with both Liverpool and Arsenal at that young age?

I remember watching an under whatever England game on tv and he was the best player by a distance. Banging one in from the halfway line Beckham style was the icing on the cake.

Hat trick on his debut, hurrah thought I. Oh well, some players just reach a level and that’s their lot.
Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:16 - Jan 20 with 2744 viewsMach_foreignBlue

David Johnson (from the Premier League days)
Gavin Williams
Luca Civellli
Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:18 - Jan 20 with 2739 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

A more recent one. But Teddy Bishop.

He made 33 appearances in 14/15 as an 18 year old and he was so so good. That performance at home to Boro, away at Blackpool. I genuinely believed we had a player who would go on to play at the top.

Injuries, tactics and managerial rotations just seemed to suck all that out of him. Gutted.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:19 - Jan 20 with 2730 viewsKeno

Phil Ham

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:20 - Jan 20 with 2728 viewshoppy

Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:19 - Jan 20 by Keno

Phil Ham

He was the talk of the town...

Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:46 - Jan 20 with 2628 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Adrian Paz!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:49 - Jan 20 with 2626 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Adrian Paz, FInidi George, Jaime Peters (after all the drama of getting a work permit for him especially), Tamas Priskin, Michael Chopra, Jordan Rhodes, Andre Dozzell.

Magic was going to build his team around Bowditch when he was first appointed wasn't he?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Players you wish had made it at Town on 18:55 - Jan 20 with 2585 viewsjaykay

danny haynes thought he would turn out to be a premiership top player

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Players you wish had made it at Town on 19:07 - Jan 20 with 2543 viewsRocky

Conor Hourihane
We let him go for free. What were we thinking?
Players you wish had made it at Town on 19:19 - Jan 20 with 2509 viewsGiant_Midget

Jonathon Parr, was player of the season at Palace a couple of years before joining Town. Felt like a ready made Cresswell replacement, first season he was okay, but the second season he didn't kick on and Mings took his spot.

Tommy Oar also felt like a great signing at the time, I don't think he even managed 10 appearances.
Players you wish had made it at Town on 19:24 - Jan 20 with 2497 viewsEnigma_Blue

Josh Carson. When he first burst on the scene he looked some player.
Rather wasted his talent.
Players you wish had made it at Town on 19:28 - Jan 20 with 2470 viewsWicklowBlue

Does Bullard count?

If not from the academy, Josh Carson...seemed like a great prospect but went off the rails. Still playing for Coleraine. Jack Marriott similarly.
Players you wish had made it at Town on 19:29 - Jan 20 with 2457 viewsTresBonne

Scott Fraser and Alan Judge, although you can't rule a good Fraser comeback soon
Players you wish had made it at Town on 19:33 - Jan 20 with 2443 viewsTresBonne

Players you wish had made it at Town on 19:19 - Jan 20 by Giant_Midget

Jonathon Parr, was player of the season at Palace a couple of years before joining Town. Felt like a ready made Cresswell replacement, first season he was okay, but the second season he didn't kick on and Mings took his spot.

Tommy Oar also felt like a great signing at the time, I don't think he even managed 10 appearances.

Haha Tommy Oar. Forgot about him. The one who terminated his contract due to being homesick from Australia, then went to play in the Dutch top flight.

Bantz.
Players you wish had made it at Town on 19:34 - Jan 20 with 2448 viewsfooters

Players you wish had made it at Town on 19:19 - Jan 20 by Giant_Midget

Parr was unfairly rated by some I thought. Sure, he wasn't box office but he was still a decent player for that level - and he was consistent. A good egg.

Then again some were criticising Mings and Cresswell on here, so there ya go.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Players you wish had made it at Town on 19:42 - Jan 20 with 2421 viewsistanblue

Teddy Bishop. Played 132 games so it's a bit strange to say he ''never made it'' but he fell well short of what promise he showed early on. I thought he was PL bound after his debut season but injuries have held his career back massively.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024