Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is the US… 09:20 - Jan 24 with 3536 viewschicoazul

….agitating for war with Russia? Russia is a basket case country run by a despot with an economy smaller than Italy. Why is Ukraine suddenly very strategically important? This all seems very odd.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Why is the US… on 14:07 - Jan 24 with 1159 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Haven't you asked the wrong question?

Why is Russia agitating for war with Ukraine?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Why is the US… on 14:21 - Jan 24 with 1123 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Why is the US… on 13:41 - Jan 24 by StokieBlue

I'll stick with evidence based arguments thanks.

Russia literally invaded Crimea 2 years ago. They have also done the same to Northern areas of Georgia.

This is the problem, you try and come across as informed and intelligent when you get even the basics wrong. You then lash out at others for daring to think evidence is more important than your thoughts and feelings on a subject.

Sometimes opinions are simply wrong and not all arguments are equal. Something you've yet to learn and accept.

SB

I bet he won't even answer these points, he'll just blather on about have the right to an opinion or something.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Why is the US… on 14:23 - Jan 24 with 1120 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Why is the US… on 12:06 - Jan 24 by chicoazul

Yet again you accuse someone whose arguments you find opaque of trolling. Not everything needs to be made black and white for you.

Black and White was a decent album including this...

...although better to be driven on frozen ground.

What was the quote btw ?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Why is the US… on 14:31 - Jan 24 with 1094 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

[Redacted] on 13:21 - Jan 24 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Why is the US… on 14:34 - Jan 24 with 1081 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anyway for now it's all quiet on the Eastern front....

Why is the US… on 14:47 - Jan 24 with 1051 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Well it has certainly been a slow burner....
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Donbas

Most recently....
A Russian government spokesman said that Russian military movements pose no threat,[515] but Russian official Dmitry Kozak warned that Russian forces could act to "defend" Russian citizens in Ukraine, and any escalation of the Donbas conflict would mean "the beginning of the end of Ukraine" — "not a shot in the leg, but in the face".[516][517] By this time, some half a million people in the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic and Luhansk People's Republic had been issued Russian passports since fighting broke out in 2014.[518] Russia refused to participate when Ukraine requested a Vienna Document meeting with France, Germany, and the OSCE.[519][520] German chancellor Angela Merkel telephoned Russian president Vladimir Putin to demand a reversal of the buildup.[521] United States White House press secretary Jen Psaki announced in early April 2021 that a buildup of Russian troops on Ukrainian border was the largest since 2014.[522]

In April 2021, Ukraine performed the first operational rollout of Turkish-made Bayraktar TB2 military drones in the region.[523] In November, a Bayraktar drone behind the line of contact was used to destroy a separatist artillery piece while it was firing on Ukrainian forces.[524] In November, DNR leader Denis Pushilin said Ukrainian troops regained control of the village of Staromarivka in the grey zone.[525][better source needed] The use of Ukrainian and Russian drones was criticised by France and Germany, while the United States pointed out that the Russia-led side has repeatedly violated agreements by the use of drones and howitzer artillery.[526] Russian agencies reported unease from the development, warning that further usage of the Bayraktar TB2 in the Donbas could "destabilize the situation" in the region.[527]

In December 2021, Ukrainian authorities said that Russia was sending snipers and tanks to the region.[528] On January 21, 2022, the Chairman of the State Duma, Vyacheslav Volodin, called for a discussion in the parliamentary body to recognize the independence of the Donbas region and its separation from Ukraine. [529]

[Redacted] on 14:55 - Jan 24 with 1029 viewsvictorywilhappen

Why is the US… on 14:34 - Jan 24 by BanksterDebtSlave

Anyway for now it's all quiet on the Eastern front....

[Redacted]
[Redacted] on 15:04 - Jan 24 with 1013 viewsvictorywilhappen

Why is the US… on 09:39 - Jan 24 by Guthrum

Because the Baltic States. Possibly eastern Poland. Maybe Finland, even. Where would you like Putin to stop? The borders of the USSR, or the preceding Russian Empire?

They'll tolerate him using influence and trying to destabilise, but not an all-out invasion. That has bad precedent.

That having been said, I'd still be surprised to see Russia invade. Would be a daft decision on Putin's part, given the inevitable backlash and strengthening of measures in other places he wishes to influence. Also a very blunt instrument for someone with his background and training.

If you're looking in pure military-strategic terms, it gives absolute dominance of the Black Sea, opening up the northern flank of the Middle East. It flanks Poland to the north and opens up a route (which was taken in 1943-44) into central Europe. Or south west into the Balkans.

[Redacted]
Login to get fewer ads

Why is the US… on 15:26 - Jan 24 with 988 viewsnoggin

Another 'No one cares' post from Chico.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Why is the US… on 16:44 - Jan 24 with 912 viewsBlueBadger

I always enjoy it when the self proclaimed anti-authoritarians turn out in support of Russia.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Why is the US… on 17:06 - Jan 24 with 880 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Sometimes I enjoy your irreverent tongue in cheek comments, this just comes across as 🎣

How’s the new job at the Russian troll farm by the way?
Why is the US… on 17:11 - Jan 24 with 861 viewsWeWereZombies

[Redacted] on 15:04 - Jan 24 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Finland did lose territory to the Soviet Union during the Second World War so you always have to wonder if those inscrutable Finns would welcome World War III as a way of taking back Karelia:

https://www.rferl.org/a/1103688.html#:~:text=Finland%20lost%20nearly%2023%2C000%

I've used a Radio Free Europe link just to balance out Chico's Russia Today line...and as balance for Bankster's, admittedly good, use of The Guildford Stranglers:

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

[Redacted] on 17:20 - Jan 24 with 830 viewsvictorywilhappen

Why is the US… on 17:11 - Jan 24 by WeWereZombies

Finland did lose territory to the Soviet Union during the Second World War so you always have to wonder if those inscrutable Finns would welcome World War III as a way of taking back Karelia:

https://www.rferl.org/a/1103688.html#:~:text=Finland%20lost%20nearly%2023%2C000%

I've used a Radio Free Europe link just to balance out Chico's Russia Today line...and as balance for Bankster's, admittedly good, use of The Guildford Stranglers:

[Redacted]
Why is the US… on 17:22 - Jan 24 with 824 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Why is the US… on 16:44 - Jan 24 by BlueBadger

I always enjoy it when the self proclaimed anti-authoritarians turn out in support of Russia.

Has anyone supported Russia in the thread?

[Redacted] on 17:29 - Jan 24 with 793 viewsvictorywilhappen

Why is the US… on 17:22 - Jan 24 by BanksterDebtSlave

Has anyone supported Russia in the thread?

[Redacted]
Why is the US… on 17:30 - Jan 24 with 795 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Why is the US… on 17:11 - Jan 24 by WeWereZombies

Love a bit of Sibelius...this fella knew a tune too

Why is the US… on 19:35 - Jan 24 with 718 viewsistanblue

It's a common tactic leaders use to deflect attention away from their domestic failings and lack of popularity. Biden and Harris are tanking in the polls and are thus aping for war to distract people.
Why is the US… on 19:40 - Jan 24 with 698 viewsfooters

Why is the US… on 19:35 - Jan 24 by istanblue

It's a common tactic leaders use to deflect attention away from their domestic failings and lack of popularity. Biden and Harris are tanking in the polls and are thus aping for war to distract people.

So Biden and Harris have asked Putin to threaten an invasion of Ukraine? Did they use the same telephone line Trump did?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Why is the US… on 19:45 - Jan 24 with 677 viewsboom_boom_boom

Yes i'm sure the Salisbury poisoning incident was deflecting attention too....
[Redacted] on 19:49 - Jan 24 with 668 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Why is the US… on 20:25 - Jan 24 with 634 viewsStokieBlue

Exactly the kind of idiotic and poorly informed view I'd expect from someone who goes around calling people soyboys.

I guess we can now also add "dictator apologist" to your list of talents.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Why is the US… on 23:01 - Jan 24 with 569 viewsOldsmoker

Why is the US… on 14:07 - Jan 24 by Cheltenham_Blue

Haven't you asked the wrong question?

Why is Russia agitating for war with Ukraine?

During the Soviet period, Ukraine was known as the USSR bread basket.
It has prime agricultural land as it's further south - more than Russia has.
Northern Ukraine, near the Russian border, is mainly inhabited by Russian speaking Ukranians. They are the majority.
A diplomatic solution would be to divide Ukraine in 2, North and South.
This would suit Putin.
The EU, USA et al don't really care and have other fish to fry so a stitch-up like this is quite possible.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024