Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quitting jobs 07:11 - Jan 26 with 2901 viewsLesta_Tractor

Attempted to hand my notice in on Monday and my boss said that he won't accept my resignation, I don't want to burn bridges so what do I do now?

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Quitting jobs on 07:12 - Jan 26 with 2452 viewsEly_Blue

I guess that depends on his reason for not accepting it and your reasons for quitting?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Quitting jobs on 07:18 - Jan 26 with 2396 viewsLesta_Tractor

Quitting jobs on 07:12 - Jan 26 by Ely_Blue

I guess that depends on his reason for not accepting it and your reasons for quitting?

Just not enjoying it, the business analyst role has changed a lot with WFH and I'd like to move in to something more techy.

Quitting jobs on 07:19 - Jan 26 with 2391 viewshomer_123

Your employer cannot refuse your resignation. The choice to stay or go resides with you...the employee.

You'll have a contract that requires you to give notice (works both ways)...as long as you give the required notice that's it.

I doubt you have a contract that says you can never leave.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Quitting jobs on 07:27 - Jan 26 with 2334 viewshoppy

Quitting jobs on 07:19 - Jan 26 by homer_123

Your employer cannot refuse your resignation. The choice to stay or go resides with you...the employee.

You'll have a contract that requires you to give notice (works both ways)...as long as you give the required notice that's it.

Unless he works at Hotel California…

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Quitting jobs on 07:30 - Jan 26 with 2294 viewsSaleAway

I don't understand this.... how can he not accept it. You tell him you are leaving, and your notice period starts. This is how it works. He can offer you an incentive, or modification to role that might make you retract your written notice, but he can't stop you leaving. Unless of course you have some sort of fixed term contract ( like a footballer), in which case you would probably have to negotiate to end it early.

What sort of techy role are you looking at? Do you already have one lined up, or is this a step towards moving?

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Quitting jobs on 07:37 - Jan 26 with 2220 viewsEly_Blue

Quitting jobs on 07:18 - Jan 26 by Lesta_Tractor

Just not enjoying it, the business analyst role has changed a lot with WFH and I'd like to move in to something more techy.

So what were his reasons for refusing to accept it?

For example my boss didn’t accept the resignation of a girl in our team who was off on maternity leave and at the end of her year after having family problems she felt she couldn’t come back to work, he simply gave her more time and 4 months later she is back……. That’s the kind of boss I like to work for

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Quitting jobs on 07:38 - Jan 26 with 2218 viewschicoazul

Quitting jobs on 07:19 - Jan 26 by homer_123

This is entirely correct OP. Your notice period starts from when you hand it in not from when it is accepted. You’re not an indentured serf, you work your notice after handing your resignation in in writing. Make sure you date the letter it if s a letter, if it’s email it’s not necessary but you may as well. Enjoy your new job.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Quitting jobs on 07:38 - Jan 26 with 2217 viewsLesta_Tractor

Quitting jobs on 07:30 - Jan 26 by SaleAway

I don't understand this.... how can he not accept it. You tell him you are leaving, and your notice period starts. This is how it works. He can offer you an incentive, or modification to role that might make you retract your written notice, but he can't stop you leaving. Unless of course you have some sort of fixed term contract ( like a footballer), in which case you would probably have to negotiate to end it early.

What sort of techy role are you looking at? Do you already have one lined up, or is this a step towards moving?

Weird isn't it, I was expecting a bit of disappointment and maybe an attempt to convince me to stay...

I've been offered a BI Developer role at a nearby brewery 🍻

Login to get fewer ads

Quitting jobs on 07:40 - Jan 26 with 2174 viewsLesta_Tractor

Quitting jobs on 07:37 - Jan 26 by Ely_Blue

So what were his reasons for refusing to accept it?

For example my boss didn’t accept the resignation of a girl in our team who was off on maternity leave and at the end of her year after having family problems she felt she couldn’t come back to work, he simply gave her more time and 4 months later she is back……. That’s the kind of boss I like to work for

He's not convinced I really want to leave and thinks that any issues I have with the role can be addressed, he's also had glowing feedback from the stakeholders I've been working with so doesn't want to lose someone decent.

Quitting jobs on 07:46 - Jan 26 with 2122 viewsChurchman

I agree with the above posts and offer the following views:
1. I’d listen to what your boss has to say
2. If there’s a reason for what you’ve been told, have think about it. On the face of it you are valued and there’s leverage in that
3. Find out what your contract says about giving notice before you meet your boss if you can
4. Avoid being confrontational if you can - always leave amicably if at all possible. Don’t burn bridges unless you have to
5. As a rule it’s easier to get a new job while in employment.
6. Finally, if you are truly fed up, thought it through, can afford it, and it’s not a passing phase we all go through, make a move to do something different as soon as practicable. I did and the only regret was that I hadn’t done it sooner.

Just thoughts - good luck.
Quitting jobs on 07:48 - Jan 26 with 2108 viewswkj

Quitting jobs on 07:40 - Jan 26 by Lesta_Tractor

He's not convinced I really want to leave and thinks that any issues I have with the role can be addressed, he's also had glowing feedback from the stakeholders I've been working with so doesn't want to lose someone decent.

Make sure your resignation is filed with HR and that it complies with the required notice period. The only time an employer can really refuse a resignation is if there are disciplinary meetings planned - ie... if an employee is trying to circumvent being fired by resigning.

Otherwise, the decision is entirely in your hands.

https://www.gov.uk/handling-staff-resignations
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 7:50]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Quitting jobs on 07:56 - Jan 26 with 2049 viewsfarkenhell

Quitting jobs on 07:46 - Jan 26 by Churchman

I agree with the above posts and offer the following views:
1. I’d listen to what your boss has to say
2. If there’s a reason for what you’ve been told, have think about it. On the face of it you are valued and there’s leverage in that
3. Find out what your contract says about giving notice before you meet your boss if you can
4. Avoid being confrontational if you can - always leave amicably if at all possible. Don’t burn bridges unless you have to
5. As a rule it’s easier to get a new job while in employment.
6. Finally, if you are truly fed up, thought it through, can afford it, and it’s not a passing phase we all go through, make a move to do something different as soon as practicable. I did and the only regret was that I hadn’t done it sooner.

Just thoughts - good luck.

This is entirely sensible advice, particularly the bit about not being confrontational. Bear in mind that your boss is likely to be disappointed that you want to leave, this may have come as a complete surprise to him and it is perhaps understandable if not natural that his first response is to reject it.
Quitting jobs on 08:10 - Jan 26 with 1930 viewschicoazul

Quitting jobs on 07:48 - Jan 26 by wkj

Make sure your resignation is filed with HR and that it complies with the required notice period. The only time an employer can really refuse a resignation is if there are disciplinary meetings planned - ie... if an employee is trying to circumvent being fired by resigning.

Otherwise, the decision is entirely in your hands.

https://www.gov.uk/handling-staff-resignations
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 7:50]

Incorrect. An employer can never refuse a resignation as it says in the first line of the link you provided.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Quitting jobs on 08:26 - Jan 26 with 1843 viewsthebooks

I see this quite often on various message boards (Reddit’s antiwork, for example), and it makes me chuckle. No-one can “refuse” a resignation — I guess it stems from the whole sense of formality around the term (and the fact your boss is put out by it — I know I was pretty upset when one of my team said they were going for an interview someowhere else; you can take it personally!)

You can resign whenever you like. Put it in writing and copy in your HR department. You then serve your notice — that’s it.

All the advice around keeping on good terms, having a chat with your boss etc. is fine, but at the end of the day you’re leaving. There are few better feelings than resigning from somewhere you’re not happy, and it’s one of the few times a worker will have the upper hand over their boss.
Quitting jobs on 08:29 - Jan 26 with 1815 viewsJ2BLUE

I'd ask what makes him think you're giving him the choice?

Arrogant pr1ck.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Quitting jobs on 08:29 - Jan 26 with 1807 viewsJ2BLUE

Quitting jobs on 08:26 - Jan 26 by thebooks

I see this quite often on various message boards (Reddit’s antiwork, for example), and it makes me chuckle. No-one can “refuse” a resignation — I guess it stems from the whole sense of formality around the term (and the fact your boss is put out by it — I know I was pretty upset when one of my team said they were going for an interview someowhere else; you can take it personally!)

You can resign whenever you like. Put it in writing and copy in your HR department. You then serve your notice — that’s it.

All the advice around keeping on good terms, having a chat with your boss etc. is fine, but at the end of the day you’re leaving. There are few better feelings than resigning from somewhere you’re not happy, and it’s one of the few times a worker will have the upper hand over their boss.

Love antiwork. Such an eye opener.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Quitting jobs on 08:36 - Jan 26 with 1767 viewsEdwardStone

Quitting jobs on 07:38 - Jan 26 by Lesta_Tractor

Weird isn't it, I was expecting a bit of disappointment and maybe an attempt to convince me to stay...

I've been offered a BI Developer role at a nearby brewery 🍻

BI Developer sounds good

I was offered a PU Organiser role at a local brewery

I turned it down, I wasn't sure that I could fulfil the job
Quitting jobs on 08:38 - Jan 26 with 1752 viewsthebooks

Quitting jobs on 08:29 - Jan 26 by J2BLUE

Yeah, I love it, only just found out about it. I find it strangely reassuring and hopeful, despite the employer horror stories; it’s good that people are calling that sort of stuff out amd standing up for themselves.
Quitting jobs on 10:19 - Jan 26 with 1485 viewsLesta_Tractor

Quitting jobs on 08:36 - Jan 26 by EdwardStone

BI Developer sounds good

I was offered a PU Organiser role at a local brewery

I turned it down, I wasn't sure that I could fulfil the job

I know it's kinda geeky but I really enjoy working with spreadsheets and data visualisations

Quitting jobs on 10:22 - Jan 26 with 1458 viewseireblue

Get a new job, after a month into the new job, ask the old boss where is your pay check?
Quitting jobs on 10:22 - Jan 26 with 1457 viewsSwansea_Blue

Quitting jobs on 10:19 - Jan 26 by Lesta_Tractor

I know it's kinda geeky but I really enjoy working with spreadsheets and data visualisations

Do you want to do my business planning and target setting this year? I'll give you my house. Feck it, you can have my whole family too. I can't stand spreadsheet stuff!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Quitting jobs on 10:42 - Jan 26 with 1380 viewsvilanovablue

Did you put something in writing to your boss on Monday, if you did the clock is already ticking and there is nothing that they can do as others have stated.
Quitting jobs on 10:47 - Jan 26 with 1347 viewsDurovigutum

Quitting jobs on 08:29 - Jan 26 by J2BLUE

It reminds me why we shouldn't be attempting to model ourselves on the US employment "system".

It also baffles me that people with so few employment rights, who can be fired on the whim of a bad boss, think unions are a bad idea. The definition of Stockholm Syndrome?
Quitting jobs on 10:57 - Jan 26 with 1302 viewsElderGrizzly

You have a contract with a notice period. As long as your resignation is dated, you can move on after that period.

They can't legally 'refuse'
Quitting jobs on 11:05 - Jan 26 with 1253 viewsSwansea_Blue

Quitting jobs on 10:47 - Jan 26 by Durovigutum

It reminds me why we shouldn't be attempting to model ourselves on the US employment "system".

It also baffles me that people with so few employment rights, who can be fired on the whim of a bad boss, think unions are a bad idea. The definition of Stockholm Syndrome?

Odd that isn't it? I'm the same - I've always viewed unions with caution. Their hierarchy seem to attract a certain sort that annoy me. But I'm not a fan of organised groups, committees and don't feel the need to 'belong' to any group, so maybe it's just me.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024