Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lucky Generals 09:06 - Jan 26 with 2812 viewsjayessess

Is it fair to say that we've had a couple of decent slices of fortune during 3 of our 4 recent wins? Wycombe blazing a late chance over the bar, Accrington hit the bar twice, Wimbledon hitting the post?

There's a (probably apocryphal) Napoleon quote "I'd rather my generals were lucky than able" and maybe McKenna's a lucky general!

Or maybe you just notice the doses of good fortune more when you're well organised and defensively sound, meaning you don't concede 2 minutes later.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Lucky Generals on 09:07 - Jan 26 with 2121 viewshomer_123

As I said last night, under Cook and Lambert that wasn't a game we would have won.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Lucky Generals on 09:09 - Jan 26 with 2096 viewsFrimleyBlue

Lucky Generals on 09:07 - Jan 26 by homer_123

As I said last night, under Cook and Lambert that wasn't a game we would have won.

Under PC probably not
Lambert.. dunno. He never struggled against those sides. He just couldn't beat anyone top 8.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Lucky Generals on 09:10 - Jan 26 with 2073 viewsjayessess

Lucky Generals on 09:07 - Jan 26 by homer_123

I think that's the case for 3 out of our 4 wins under McKenna. We're resilient when the opposition have a spell. We find ways to get a bit more control in the game. We make good on bits of good fortune we do get.

Lucky Generals on 09:10 - Jan 26 with 2064 viewsSaleAway

I guess you can turn it around - in the past it always felt that we were unlucky... we'd concede from the first/only shot the oppo had in the game. Feels a bit more balanced now.

Whatever it is - 4 wins out of 5 feels pretty good.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Lucky Generals on 09:11 - Jan 26 with 2063 viewsKeno

It may be a case of “the harder I work, the luckier I get”

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Lucky Generals on 09:12 - Jan 26 with 2037 viewsjayessess

Lucky Generals on 09:10 - Jan 26 by SaleAway

I guess you can turn it around - in the past it always felt that we were unlucky... we'd concede from the first/only shot the oppo had in the game. Feels a bit more balanced now.

Whatever it is - 4 wins out of 5 feels pretty good.

Of course we did concede from the opposition's first shot on goal against Accrington (very much a half chance too) and turned it round!

Lucky Generals on 09:16 - Jan 26 with 2003 viewsDarth_Koont

Bit of both, I think.

We’ve ridden our luck certainly but have generally been more solid and compact in defence so don’t cough up as many chances. And by essentially moving a player from the attack to defence we’re getting bodies in the way/cutting down time and space when chances do arise.

Pronouns: He/Him

Lucky Generals on 09:20 - Jan 26 with 1973 viewsStirlingArcher

Wimbledon hit the post -

the only shot that hit the post, was after a handball... ?
Login to get fewer ads

Lucky Generals on 09:21 - Jan 26 with 1967 viewsjayessess

Lucky Generals on 09:20 - Jan 26 by StirlingArcher

Wimbledon hit the post -

the only shot that hit the post, was after a handball... ?

From a second half corner, Wimbledon had a headed chance, which Woolfenden blocked onto the post.

Lucky Generals on 09:22 - Jan 26 with 1961 viewsStirlingArcher

Lucky Generals on 09:21 - Jan 26 by jayessess

From a second half corner, Wimbledon had a headed chance, which Woolfenden blocked onto the post.

The one that hit Walton's heel?
technically a save
Lucky Generals on 09:27 - Jan 26 with 1937 viewsGuthrum

It might be a function of our defence/'keeper preventing, blocking or saving all but the most marginal shots on goal. Shooters are forced to aim for the very edge, thus increasing their chances of just missing.

Also, with our increased possession of the ball, opponents feel a pressure to maximise every chance they have, perhaps leading to rushed shots from further out.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lucky Generals on 09:56 - Jan 26 with 1878 viewsSteve_M

Maybe, but being more organised certainly helps. I like the way we can have a dodgy spell and reassert ourselves under McK.

On luck, a couple of bits for Cook I recall: Portsmouth missed a really good chance at 0-0 at Fratton Park, might have been different had that gone in and we probably scored with our first shot at Wycombe which changed that game around.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Lucky Generals on 10:03 - Jan 26 with 1839 viewssolemio

Lucky Generals on 09:11 - Jan 26 by Keno

It may be a case of “the harder I work, the luckier I get”

Thank you, Lee Trevino.
100% we’re having our seasons good fortune and luck period right now on 10:16 - Jan 26 with 1806 viewsunstableblue

And the good news is we’re getting wins from it. Add waltons heel getting a jammy goal line block yesterday.

We didn’t have this good fortune and we didn’t always have our talisman Burns.

The trick is to build a store of confidence in these good times, build some resilience into the team, and get a good points tally.

Then we’re a stronger team so we make our own luck.

But yes the gods are with us at present.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Lucky Generals on 10:33 - Jan 26 with 1755 viewsKeno

Lucky Generals on 10:03 - Jan 26 by solemio

Thank you, Lee Trevino.

I thought I was Gary Player?

Lucky Generals on 10:51 - Jan 26 with 1687 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

It feels like we’re developing a mental toughness and belief that we can get through sticky spells.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Lucky Generals on 11:35 - Jan 26 with 1616 viewssolemio

Lucky Generals on 10:33 - Jan 26 by Keno

I thought I was Gary Player?

It's often attributed to Player and even to Jack Nicklaus, but Trevino insists that they got it from him.
Lucky Generals on 11:40 - Jan 26 with 1589 viewsKeno

Lucky Generals on 11:35 - Jan 26 by solemio

It's often attributed to Player and even to Jack Nicklaus, but Trevino insists that they got it from him.

yes, I think a few golfers have tried to claim it but Trevino is actually who I think of

Lucky Generals on 11:46 - Jan 26 with 1581 viewsChurchman

There is no evidence that Napoleon said that. I believe Cardinal Mazarin said something similar and it was subsequently attributed to ‘The Ogre’.

Interestingly, he could have done with a competent Marshal or two at Waterloo, given the dogs dinner in particular Ney, Soult andGrouchy made of it.
Lucky Generals on 11:49 - Jan 26 with 1568 viewsKeno

Lucky Generals on 11:46 - Jan 26 by Churchman

There is no evidence that Napoleon said that. I believe Cardinal Mazarin said something similar and it was subsequently attributed to ‘The Ogre’.

Interestingly, he could have done with a competent Marshal or two at Waterloo, given the dogs dinner in particular Ney, Soult andGrouchy made of it.

According to the history book on the shelf is always repeating that Benny and Bjorn did well with Waterloo

Lucky Generals on 11:51 - Jan 26 with 1556 viewsChurchman

Lucky Generals on 11:49 - Jan 26 by Keno

According to the history book on the shelf is always repeating that Benny and Bjorn did well with Waterloo

Not forgetting Anni-Frid and Agnatha!!
Lucky Generals on 11:56 - Jan 26 with 1542 viewsBluroo

The better you are the luckier you get.

Had one of those Wimbledon efforts gone in last night, we'd still have won. Under Cook it might well have meant a draw or even a loss.
Lucky Generals on 12:02 - Jan 26 with 1524 viewsGuthrum

Ney and Soult performed badly (tho the former was more an assault leader than a tactician), but Grouchy seems to have done pretty much what was asked of him - follow the Prussians and engage them.

His limited forces and the river-crossing defensive position at Wavre rather prevented him from stopping Blucher leading all but a blocking force to Plancenoit. It took him all day to take the town. If he'd tried breaking off and marching to the sound of the guns, the Prussians would have been all over him in open country. Finally, if Napoleon wanted Grouchy as a reserve at Waterloo, he should have ordered that, rather than sending him elsewhere (and, initially, in the wrong direction).

Grouchy also manged to withdraw his troops in good order, as opposed to the complete collapse of the main French army.

A lot of the negativity towards Grouchy comes from Bonapartist apologists, casting around for excuses for their hero's own failures.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lucky Generals on 12:30 - Jan 26 with 1475 viewsChurchman

Lucky Generals on 12:02 - Jan 26 by Guthrum

Ney and Soult performed badly (tho the former was more an assault leader than a tactician), but Grouchy seems to have done pretty much what was asked of him - follow the Prussians and engage them.

His limited forces and the river-crossing defensive position at Wavre rather prevented him from stopping Blucher leading all but a blocking force to Plancenoit. It took him all day to take the town. If he'd tried breaking off and marching to the sound of the guns, the Prussians would have been all over him in open country. Finally, if Napoleon wanted Grouchy as a reserve at Waterloo, he should have ordered that, rather than sending him elsewhere (and, initially, in the wrong direction).

Grouchy also manged to withdraw his troops in good order, as opposed to the complete collapse of the main French army.

A lot of the negativity towards Grouchy comes from Bonapartist apologists, casting around for excuses for their hero's own failures.

I did hesitate to include Grouchy. The principle accusations if I remember rightly were that he failed to use his initiative to march to the clearly audible guns, didn’t stay close enough to Blucher, he didn’t move his army quickly enough possibly due to inexperience of independent command. I’ve not read enough about Grouchy so please correct me if I’m wrong - history tends to be written by the winners and the losers like to blame somebody else..

Ney in particular was certainly no tactician. A man of extreme bravery that couldn’t be questioned, but his decision making is mystifying both at Quatre Bras and at Waterloo in particular with launching heavy cavalry against squares time after time without artillery and infantry support.

He was left in overall command when Napoleon felt a bit peaky and it didn’t go well. Brave to the end, Ney refused a blindfold when executed at the end of the year.
Lucky Generals on 12:32 - Jan 26 with 1465 viewsjayessess

It was a great opportunity for me to work the word "apocryphal" into a post though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024