Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts about trying Woolfenden in Centre Midfield in the Next 2 games? 19:53 - Jan 31 with 862 viewsHobokenBlue

Perhaps pretty unrealistic but I have thought about this over the last few weeks and the more I think about it, the more I quite like the idea....

With Morsy suspended and with Evans injured, the last 2 games have showed we have been seriously lacking in centre midfield. For me, Bakinson showed glimpses against Wimbledon and was poor (and tired) against Wednesday. I have never been a fan of El Miz and feel he didn't do much on Saturday and didn't really get hold of the ball and drive forward with purpose. Carroll has underwhelmed and seems too lightweight and Harper seems down the pecking order....

Woolfy has recently had a resurgence and arguably been one of our best players under KMac and seems very comfortable on the ball, can drive forward with purpose and often picks a nice pass. For me, all good traits of a defensive centre midfielder if he were to be tried in this position. As well as this he can tackle and would have more of a physical presence due to his size, which in this league, counts.

Of course you could argue he is playing well at CB so why changes things? Well, if we were to try it, why not against two of the weakest teams in the league where we should be the clear favorites to win both games, despite this change. Furthermore, I for one, would be interested to see Edmundson move to the centre of the back 3 and see how Burgess gets on with the left Centre back role (being a lefty as opposed to Edmundson). This again would add height and physicality to the Team which I think is seriously lacking, often against the 'scrappy' teams and who knows, we might have more chance actually scoring from a corner!

I'm not saying I think this will happen or if it did, he will be anything like Warky in terms of his play and positional flexibility and I accept the ridicule that comes my way for the suggestion but personally, being so underwhelmed with our available CM options for the Gillingham game, I would quite like Woolfy in the midfield mix!

(Go easy, it's my first ever post!)
[Post edited 31 Jan 2022 20:12]
Thoughts about trying Woolfenden in Centre Midfield in the Next 2 games? on 19:55 - Jan 31 with 834 viewsBlueBadger

In the nicest way possible - we've got several thousand central midfielders. No.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2022 19:56]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Thoughts about trying Woolfenden in Centre Midfield in the Next 2 games? on 19:56 - Jan 31 with 814 viewsfooters

McKenna doesn't want to change the backline and we have a surfeit of midfield options, so no.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Thoughts about trying Woolfenden in Centre Midfield in the Next 2 games? on 19:57 - Jan 31 with 796 viewsjas0999

No.
Thoughts about trying Woolfenden in Centre Midfield in the Next 2 games? on 19:59 - Jan 31 with 764 viewsNthQldITFC

It's a 'no' from me. Apart from anything else, he's needed at the back.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Thoughts about trying Woolfenden in Centre Midfield in the Next 2 games? on 20:00 - Jan 31 with 764 viewsGuthrum

Think I'd rather give Carroll/El Mizouni and Bakinson more game time to get themselves comfortable in the roles. Also not to upset a backline which is generally working pretty well.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Thoughts about trying Woolfenden in Centre Midfield in the Next 2 games? on 20:01 - Jan 31 with 746 viewsblueislander

In a word “bonkers”
Thoughts about trying Woolfenden in Centre Midfield in the Next 2 games? on 20:02 - Jan 31 with 731 viewsDinDjarin

Its a no from me
Thoughts about trying Woolfenden in Centre Midfield in the Next 2 games? on 20:03 - Jan 31 with 720 viewslowhouseblue

i'm a fan of wolfenden, but i don't think he has the presence or reading of the game to play further forward. he's great where he is.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts about trying Woolfenden in Centre Midfield in the Next 2 games? on 20:04 - Jan 31 with 718 viewsfooters

Thoughts about trying Woolfenden in Centre Midfield in the Next 2 games? on 20:01 - Jan 31 by blueislander

In a word “bonkers”

You are Mick McCarthy and I claim my five pounds, thank you very much.

Cheque will be fine.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Thoughts about trying Woolfenden in Centre Midfield in the Next 2 games? on 20:14 - Jan 31 with 624 viewsWickets

I do think in an emergency , this isn't one ! Woofie could do a half decent job as a holding midfielder and have said it before others disagree of course .
Thoughts about trying Woolfenden in Centre Midfield in the Next 2 games? on 21:05 - Jan 31 with 524 viewsSwansea_Blue

No. If we need an urgent fix, drop Celina deeper as we’ve got more options further up the pitch. He can dictate play from deeper no problem.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Thoughts about trying Woolfenden in Centre Midfield in the Next 2 games? on 21:15 - Jan 31 with 466 viewsCoastalblue

What's your favourite cheese?

Oh and I wouldn't be averse to the idea, if we had better options to replace him at the back.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024