Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... 08:23 - Feb 1 with 3128 viewsitfcjoe

....but I don't feel the matchday 18 or so is.

Realistically we've lost no-one who has contributed in the first half of the season, or you'd expect to do much between now and the end of the season

Walton signing was huge

Bit disappointed in the Bakinson for Harper move for the club long term as seems a very short term move to try before we buy TB whilst having RH needing to get involved

Think also a bit of a tacit admission at end of window when nothing happened that we know this season is unlikely to end in success, and that we aren't close enough to chuck something at it to get over the line.

Felt like it was more about trimming things and getting in a position for the summer window

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:28 - Feb 1 with 2257 viewsKeaneish

Yes, agree with all of that. I'm very underwhelmed by the business we have done. Not because we didn't bring a marquee signing in to make a push but more because the weekend showed we don't have the depth needed and our position, as you state, is now inferior.

Flip side to this is it may make the squad a fraction more competitive if those on the periphery feel like opportunities exist but from what i've seen (although early days), Bakinson and Thompson are downgrades on Coulson and Harper.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:29 - Feb 1 with 2248 viewsStadiumofdark

Yep, 3 or 4 points closer and I think we'd have seen 2 or 3 in to push on.

Looks like it's 100 points, 100 goals next season then (again)
Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:34 - Feb 1 with 2201 viewsITFCBlues

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:28 - Feb 1 by Keaneish

Yes, agree with all of that. I'm very underwhelmed by the business we have done. Not because we didn't bring a marquee signing in to make a push but more because the weekend showed we don't have the depth needed and our position, as you state, is now inferior.

Flip side to this is it may make the squad a fraction more competitive if those on the periphery feel like opportunities exist but from what i've seen (although early days), Bakinson and Thompson are downgrades on Coulson and Harper.

Both the signings have been very strange really. Coulson obviously fit again, why bring in Thompson? Bakinson been terrible, again, why bring him in when we got players of similar ilk in the squad?

As I've said in another thread, need to build a squad for next season now which should've meant using players who will be here next year.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:38 - Feb 1 with 2151 viewsChurchman

I agree with this. The question is whether the squad is stronger or weaker for having less players hanging around not getting a game. As for Harper and Fraser, neither has done it here for whatever reason. I hope that the loan for Harper gives him games, which he sorely needs, and he can show what he can do.

As for this season, it’s obvious that we are likely to finish short, but it could be argued that some squad rebalancing would have happened regardless. It was needed.
Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:39 - Feb 1 with 2138 viewschicoazul

Got to think something has gone on with Rakheem that the hierarchy aren’t pleased about. I know he had covid pretty bad. Maybe he’s a vaccine refusenik and the club only want vaccinated players? Very much speculation on my part.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:43 - Feb 1 with 2094 viewsBseaBlue

I'm really hoping it means we have a summer like the 'old days' where the bulk of our squad is in place with just a couple of quality additions.

Gaining momentum now ahead of next season is huge.
Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:49 - Feb 1 with 2044 viewsstopmoaning

I think signing Walton alone makes it a good window.

Beyond that, we’ve needed a smaller squad for years.
Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:51 - Feb 1 with 2020 viewsChurchman

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:28 - Feb 1 by Keaneish

If Thompson plays every week, he’ll be an upgrade on Coulson who spent 6 months largely shining the treatment table. Bakinson? I didn’t see the SW game so can’t comment, but he was condemned before he kicked a ball by many because of the obvious reason. Let’s see how he goes.

As a principle, I hate the loan system. I’d much prefer it if we built a team with our players rather than scrabbling around with other peoples.
Login to get fewer ads

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:57 - Feb 1 with 1974 viewstractorboy1978

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:43 - Feb 1 by BseaBlue

I'm really hoping it means we have a summer like the 'old days' where the bulk of our squad is in place with just a couple of quality additions.

Gaining momentum now ahead of next season is huge.

Problem is we have 4 loanees for a start (Bonne, Celina, Thompson, Bakinson), and how many of those are going to be permanent? Bakinson probably. Could easily be another 8-10 out and 8-10 in scenario.

I do agree though that we need to end this season with some visible base/spine to build on for next season with the play offs looking more and more difficult.
Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:57 - Feb 1 with 1965 viewsEdmundo

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:49 - Feb 1 by stopmoaning

Totally agree. We have to remember we are a L1 club. Less may well be more, as we only have to league to concentrate on, and slim playoff hopes. Why waste money on wages now, when prices are always inflated (Jan transfer window always). Astute business only.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:59 - Feb 1 with 1925 viewsmarkchips

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:49 - Feb 1 by stopmoaning

I think this is right. We have cleared out all of the old guard except for Jackson who will go in a few months and the schoolteacher can now blend the new players into a unit.
Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 09:01 - Feb 1 with 1880 viewsGeoffSentence

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:51 - Feb 1 by Churchman

If Thompson plays every week, he’ll be an upgrade on Coulson who spent 6 months largely shining the treatment table. Bakinson? I didn’t see the SW game so can’t comment, but he was condemned before he kicked a ball by many because of the obvious reason. Let’s see how he goes.

As a principle, I hate the loan system. I’d much prefer it if we built a team with our players rather than scrabbling around with other peoples.

Obvious reason?

Sorry to be dense, but I can't think of an obvious reason why some would condemn him before a ball was kicked.

Can you clarify what you mean?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 09:01 - Feb 1 with 1877 viewsitfcjoe

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:57 - Feb 1 by tractorboy1978

Problem is we have 4 loanees for a start (Bonne, Celina, Thompson, Bakinson), and how many of those are going to be permanent? Bakinson probably. Could easily be another 8-10 out and 8-10 in scenario.

I do agree though that we need to end this season with some visible base/spine to build on for next season with the play offs looking more and more difficult.

I'd been saying since last summer when we signed all those players that every year in this level is going to be 8-10 out and 8-10 in - it's just the way it is

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 09:02 - Feb 1 with 1849 viewsJon_456

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:51 - Feb 1 by Churchman

Who condemned him and for what reason?

If we've seemingly given up on this season, I'd much rather get Harper playing games for us instead of playing someone elses.
Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 09:08 - Feb 1 with 1768 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:39 - Feb 1 by chicoazul

Got to think something has gone on with Rakheem that the hierarchy aren’t pleased about. I know he had covid pretty bad. Maybe he’s a vaccine refusenik and the club only want vaccinated players? Very much speculation on my part.

He's barely played so the obvious answer is they don't think he's good enough, rather than making up conspiracy theories.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 09:11 - Feb 1 with 1752 viewsSwansea_Blue

We've got more marquees than an events company. Celine, Morsy, arguably Aluko. Maybe even Walton.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 09:26 - Feb 1 with 1640 viewstractorshark

I don’t think it was a terrible window.
My only gripe is I think Harper should have stayed over El Miz. I know Harper has been inconsistent but his performance against Cheltenham and his little cameo at Plymouth convinced me there is a proper player there. He just needs polishing but maybe the loan will do that.
I don’t think we’ve lost a lot in Fraser. I thought he was slow and inconsistent and the other 3 in his position were better. That’s not to say he won’t shine at Charlton but I don’t think he’s a loss to us.
Coulson is a good player but made of glass.
As for Bakinson, I think you’ve got to give him a chance. He was all right against Wimbledon and we saw with the likes of Aluko, it took a few games to get up to speed.
The same probably applies to Thompson who is highly rated.
As someone has said already Walton signing is probably the biggest deal. He’s certainly far more important to us than anyone who has left.
Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 09:29 - Feb 1 with 1624 viewsChurchman

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 09:01 - Feb 1 by GeoffSentence

Obvious reason?

Sorry to be dense, but I can't think of an obvious reason why some would condemn him before a ball was kicked.

Can you clarify what you mean?

His connections with Bristol City. An ‘Ashton signing’.
Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 09:31 - Feb 1 with 1618 viewsNthQldITFC

Agree on the Bakinson / Harper 'swap', and also concerned that Thompson means we're not going to see Edwards tried out at LWB. That is unless we end up buying both, or if they don't work out in the next month, our 'own' players get back in for some valuable experience before the end of the season.

Would also have liked to have seen a raw, but hungry and skillful target man brought in to develop. Can't say I'm overly convinced by any of our strikers if we go up into Div 2.

Hopeful that Baggott will get some game time if play-offs are out of reach, and would have liked to have seen Ndaba back for the same reason.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 09:35 - Feb 1 with 1553 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 09:11 - Feb 1 by Swansea_Blue

We've got more marquees than an events company. Celine, Morsy, arguably Aluko. Maybe even Walton.

When Morsy gets snapped up in the close season, assuming we miss promotion, is when we can all have a group cry!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 09:36 - Feb 1 with 1531 viewsSwansea_Blue

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 09:31 - Feb 1 by NthQldITFC

Agree on the Bakinson / Harper 'swap', and also concerned that Thompson means we're not going to see Edwards tried out at LWB. That is unless we end up buying both, or if they don't work out in the next month, our 'own' players get back in for some valuable experience before the end of the season.

Would also have liked to have seen a raw, but hungry and skillful target man brought in to develop. Can't say I'm overly convinced by any of our strikers if we go up into Div 2.

Hopeful that Baggott will get some game time if play-offs are out of reach, and would have liked to have seen Ndaba back for the same reason.

It's not too bad is it? The jury should still be out on Bakinson/Harper swap. Edwards certainly wouldn't be my first choice at LWB. Thompson over Coulson may be an upgrade, just in terms of reliability. Also, I know Thompson was pretty cautious and reluctant to take on his man, but you could see he was well-drilled on possession-based footie. Could easily end up being an upgrade.

It's only really losing Fraser where we've weekend, but he hasn't contributed for ages and was a hit or miss when he did.

I'm a bit gutted Hislop and batistuta didn't arrive again though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 09:39 - Feb 1 with 1484 viewsdavblue

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 09:26 - Feb 1 by tractorshark

I don’t think it was a terrible window.
My only gripe is I think Harper should have stayed over El Miz. I know Harper has been inconsistent but his performance against Cheltenham and his little cameo at Plymouth convinced me there is a proper player there. He just needs polishing but maybe the loan will do that.
I don’t think we’ve lost a lot in Fraser. I thought he was slow and inconsistent and the other 3 in his position were better. That’s not to say he won’t shine at Charlton but I don’t think he’s a loss to us.
Coulson is a good player but made of glass.
As for Bakinson, I think you’ve got to give him a chance. He was all right against Wimbledon and we saw with the likes of Aluko, it took a few games to get up to speed.
The same probably applies to Thompson who is highly rated.
As someone has said already Walton signing is probably the biggest deal. He’s certainly far more important to us than anyone who has left.

Harper going was a better choice for balance of the squad. Carroll, Harper, Evans are all pretty similar. El Miz is more like Morsy, if not an exact copy. Harper needs games as well, might well be the making of him, not in such high facilities, maybe appreciate what he has here as his career seems to be slipping fast atm.
Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 09:42 - Feb 1 with 1457 viewsFixed_It

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 08:39 - Feb 1 by chicoazul

Absolutely no need for that type of wild speculation though. It does no-one any favours.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 10:04 - Feb 1 with 1331 viewsArnieM

So who has sanctioned these “downgrades” then? McKenna or Ashton?

Not sure how Harper can be seen as an upgrade …he never was able to force himself into the side…likewise Coulson…. Always ( supposedly) injured…but signs his name to a Posh contract and is suddenly “ fit and raring to go”…. Explain that to me please coz I’m struggling to see how either of the outgoing players are a loss.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Looks like the squad is weaker since it was this time a month ago.... on 10:43 - Feb 1 with 1202 viewsGuthrum

I don't think we lost on Saturday because of a lack of squad skill or options, more that we were undone on a tactical and stylistic front.

SheffWed's close tackling, hunting in packs and running an effective offside trap denied us space and nullified our usual way of playing. You can't run into gaps if there aren't any and two opponents are right in your face as soon as the ball arrives, plus others well positioned to cut out passes. Our players are not that much better than others at this level they can overcome such things by sheer individual skill.

We only lost because one of Sheffield's breakaway counterattacks succeeded. Otherwise, the two teams pretty much cancelled each other out.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024