Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have we given up ? 09:41 - Feb 1 with 1234 viewsOldFart71

In light of the recent goings is this a sign that although mathematically possible the club has given up on any hope of a top six place. I have a sneaking suspicion that the powers that be at PR have had a pow wow and decided that we won't be in the playoffs. Added to this maybe we are close to breaking Fair Play rules and should we have been in with a very good chance of the playoffs they would have pushed on. But now it's looking less likely they have reigned back and will assess what we have between now and the end of the season, get in who we need and go for it next season.
Have we given up ? on 09:53 - Feb 1 with 1168 viewswkj

I don't think so at all. KM has won 4 of 6 games in charge, which is very good. Yes, our losses stung, Bolton particularly. However, we're not in a situation where a January transfer window is going to improve our fortunes - solidifying and finding a formula is. KM clearly has an idea of the size of squad he needs in order to do just that.

He's going to struggle with Morsy being gone, as well as Evans. MC is the engine room of a team, and the entire partnership had to be temporarily replaced overnight. One established player in a partnership being out is something you plan for, two is what you hope never happens.

Once KM has a solid id on who his starting XI is, the better off we'll all be. Essentially, he's needed to go into this period of games needing to come away with a preseason-friendly level of understanding for his team - but with the pressure of getting results. Adding too many players into that equation will make KM's job much harder.

I believe we can still do what we need to in order to get into the top 6, but I am not expecting it from KM - I hope the board feel the same way.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Have we given up ? on 10:00 - Feb 1 with 1141 viewsitfcjoe

I don't think it is a case of giving up, more a case that we are not close enough or likely enough to get there to justify giving it a big (expensive) push.

Too much to do, that an expensive loan isn't likely to be the difference in 7th or 6th

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Have we given up ? on 10:09 - Feb 1 with 1087 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

We had a bloated squad at the start of the window, the last thing we needed was to add to it.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Have we given up ? on 10:10 - Feb 1 with 1076 viewsclive_baker

I don't think they're mutually exclusive. We wont give up on anything while they're still possible, but there is a consideration around expenditure which would be relevant wherever we were in the league. We're probably not close enough to the top 6 to warrant further investment at this stage, and I think those that have left were set to do so for a while, it was a case of when not if and had it not been now it would've been in the summer. Why not do it now and save probably £100k odd a month in the meantime.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Have we given up ? on 10:13 - Feb 1 with 1017 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

It's more being prudent than giving up.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Have we given up ? on 10:16 - Feb 1 with 997 viewsITFC_RDM

I just don't think they saw our chances of us making it into the playoffs, high enough in probability to risk further investment this season.

I do think they've left themselves light in midfield now, after having what seemed far too many. not just in terms of numbers, but quality as well.
Have we given up ? on 10:28 - Feb 1 with 933 viewsGuthrum

The fair play rules might well have been a consideration, but not, I think, any idea of giving up on the play-offs.

After all, who out of the usual matchday squad and first-line replacements have we lost? Nsiala probably didn't have a place for stylistic reasons and because we use a back three. Neither Fraser nor Harper had much game-time recently. Nolan was injured (and hadn't been universally praised when he did play). Holy was third choice, Barry and Coulson recalled. And so on.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Have we given up ? on 10:29 - Feb 1 with 922 viewschicoazul

Years ago.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Have we given up ? on 10:30 - Feb 1 with 917 viewsBlueandTruesince82

No we can't change the entire playing staff every 6 months. Now it's about adjustments to bring it all together.

We need to have a bit of patience now

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Have we given up ? on 10:39 - Feb 1 with 887 viewsChrisd

It would be encouraging to have a strong finish to the season, but realistically the top 6 does look out of reach. Sadly for us, there’s been too many displays like on Saturday that have caused us to trip up this season, simply too lacklustre and tepid for a side with promotion ambitions. We still have some very good players for this level and there are still plenty of games left, but the reality is there are better ‘teams’ above us and I can’t genuinely see them dropping the points we need to be able to chase them down.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Have we given up ? on 11:30 - Feb 1 with 780 viewsKentish_Tractor

Not mathematically impossibly but you'd have to be the most glass-full of supporters to believe it's do-able. 17 games remaining and we have to make up a minimum of 8 points, more likely 11 due to games in hand - and we still have to play 5 of the 8 teams above us including both the top 2.

Stranger things have happened but I personally have lost hope for it this season after Saturday.

The rest of this season should be used to work out the best 11 for our new formation and to fine-tune the squad so we hit the ground running next season.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2022 11:31]

Poll: How often are you refreshing TWTD today?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024