Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning 09:43 - Feb 6 with 2691 viewsunstableblue

First off it was a superb strike from Chaplin, and I thought Wolfenden and Walton had good games and deserved 7/10. But everything else about yesterday was poor.

And this BIG ISSUE of Town player performance returned. 4s out of 10 across the board.

Highlights show that had Gillingham had a bit more composure they deserved a draw.

Yes it’s a win, it’s 3 points, we stay in the mix and our new manager has a fantastic 5 wins from 7 games. A fantastic 2.14 ppg.

But play like that and MK will beat us, play like that and there really is no chance of the play offs, and importantly you start to question are we progressing as a team.

If it was a one off, then who gives a feck, but that is now poor team and player performances against Wimbledon, Sheff Weds (why do players keep saying that was a good display?!) and gillingham. Accrington was also flawed.

Gillingham were improved and had more solidity and a better press, but they weren’t that good. Our team just had no tempo, energy or desire… the McKenna ball we saw at Gillingham away included players believing and playing with a freedom and on the limit. Everyone was 7/10. Miles off yesterday.

McKenna should not have played evans and Carrol, too similar. El Miz was needed to replicate Morsys much needed and missed drive. We are also changing the front 3 a lot.

Poor Edward’s! He had a complete shocker yesterday as a sub.

It is all such a shame as the fans are ready to get vocal (the north stand was near silent at times) there are great attendances… with heaps of kids there yesterday, a great fan zone, and a redound desire for success. But a bit like Accrington it’s flat football being served.

Yes I know a win is a win. But performances and player displays are really going backwards. Including Burns who we would desperately miss, and I can’t see a replacement for, but who himself is off his game… albeit our right side is being targeted and well marked. We look slow, disjointed and mired in trying to play around our own penalty box.

Sorry to be a downer!!

Come on McKenna (who positively didn’t try and put a spin on a dreadful display) get the selection, system and players fired up and let’s put in a display at a buoyant Donny. Let’s get fired up for the 7000 away.

COYB
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 9:48]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 09:54 - Feb 6 with 2198 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

We looked dreadful playing out from the back yesterday and across the park passing was so slow and laboured. Also, as MM was saying on the radio, Edmundson looks all at sea in a 3 to such an extent that we are only effectively playing down one channel. Made more so by the amount of time Chaplin was spending on the right side as well.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 10:01 - Feb 6 with 2154 viewsunstableblue

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 09:54 - Feb 6 by BanksterDebtSlave

We looked dreadful playing out from the back yesterday and across the park passing was so slow and laboured. Also, as MM was saying on the radio, Edmundson looks all at sea in a 3 to such an extent that we are only effectively playing down one channel. Made more so by the amount of time Chaplin was spending on the right side as well.

Yes I heard Mick saying that, but I didn’t think Edmundson was poor in defence, it was his interplay with Thompson.

Edmundsons forward play and drilled pass to Chaplin got us the goal.

I think Johnson’s lack of attacking threat was also down to him and how unadventurous Carrol and Evans were.

I think our two centre mids were the heart of the problem.

Anyway on a positive and looking at the 6 game form table I wonder if Sunderlands implosion and Wycombes form may give us a glimmer of hope if McKenna can fix Ipswich with morsys return.

Something positive Nostradamus N2Blue continues form…. on 10:14 - Feb 6 with 2100 viewsunstableblue

N2Blues predictions are now 5 out of 5

And maybe 74 is enough with Sunderland and Wycombe form? And we can even handle an MK loss!!!

For 74 points: 11 Wins: (Accr, Wimb, Gills, Donc, Burton, Chelt, Plym, Camb, Shrew, Crewe, Linc) 6 Draws: (Morecambe, Fleet, Ports, Oxf, Wigan, Charlt) 4 Defeats: (Bolton, Sheff Weds, MK Dons, Rotherham)

But we’re going to have to play a lot lot better Tuesday!!

Something positive Nostradamus N2Blue continues form…. on 10:21 - Feb 6 with 2069 viewsN2_Blue

Something positive Nostradamus N2Blue continues form…. on 10:14 - Feb 6 by unstableblue

N2Blues predictions are now 5 out of 5

And maybe 74 is enough with Sunderland and Wycombe form? And we can even handle an MK loss!!!

For 74 points: 11 Wins: (Accr, Wimb, Gills, Donc, Burton, Chelt, Plym, Camb, Shrew, Crewe, Linc) 6 Draws: (Morecambe, Fleet, Ports, Oxf, Wigan, Charlt) 4 Defeats: (Bolton, Sheff Weds, MK Dons, Rotherham)

But we’re going to have to play a lot lot better Tuesday!!

Shame I didn’t have money on that run of 5.

I think 74 may not be quite enough, think it may be 76 but it shows we are still on track despite the two defeats.

The performances are disappointing but I believe we will get better and hopefully Morsy back will change things. I just hope we can get through Tues with a win. I’m not overly confident though.

Playoffs are still very unlikely. I give about a 15% chance but key game is Oxford. If we beat them the gap is 6 points. Making up 6 points in 15 other games is very achievable.

Don’t think we’ll finish above Wycombe, Sunderland or MK.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 10:24 - Feb 6 with 2056 viewsBiGDonnie

Each game is different. We're not going to be able to play brilliant football week in week out.
Took a while to get into the game yesterday but after the goal we were very comfortable. Gillingham have a new manager who has seemingly got them playing infinitely better than our last meeting with them.

Not necessarily from you, but there's so much negativity after a great start.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 10:43]

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 10:29 - Feb 6 with 2007 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 10:01 - Feb 6 by unstableblue

Yes I heard Mick saying that, but I didn’t think Edmundson was poor in defence, it was his interplay with Thompson.

Edmundsons forward play and drilled pass to Chaplin got us the goal.

I think Johnson’s lack of attacking threat was also down to him and how unadventurous Carrol and Evans were.

I think our two centre mids were the heart of the problem.

Anyway on a positive and looking at the 6 game form table I wonder if Sunderlands implosion and Wycombes form may give us a glimmer of hope if McKenna can fix Ipswich with morsys return.

We were definitely back to no link up in the middle again between front and back.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 10:41 - Feb 6 with 1932 viewsbilllm

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 10:29 - Feb 6 by BanksterDebtSlave

We were definitely back to no link up in the middle again between front and back.

Sadly no one else plays the morsy role at the club,
Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 10:46 - Feb 6 with 1901 viewsNthQldITFC

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 09:54 - Feb 6 by BanksterDebtSlave

I'm going to break my own rules and do an "I've been saying thus for ages post", but I wanted this three at the back system last year, only I saw it as Donacien on the right, Edmundson in the middle as an organiser with less responsibility for bringing the ball out, and Woolfy on the left, with Donna and Woolf the two who would bring the ball out. Seems like a better fit to me, unless they feel he's too right-footed for that role, but I don't.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 10:53 - Feb 6 with 1830 viewsjayessess

Is the short answer just that we really miss Morsy? Evans and Carroll are very similar, can't wriggle out of a pocket, can't go past people, play between the lines and on the half turn but not generally in very threatening ways.

Makes it relatively easy to stop us playing out, especially when Thompson isn't a great out-ball. When we did get the ball between the lines we had 3 forwards whose ball retention isn't good - Chaplin tries 5 bad things for everyone 1 that comes off, Norwood's hold up and link play has always been poor. Pigott is yet to have a good game for us of any kind.

Add that all up and where does the out ball go? Morsy plays and he's press resistant, he goes past his marker, drives into space, plays on the half turn, gives and goes, makes third man runs into the box. Plus he makes sure you win 50-50s and second balls. If the other team presses high then a player like that just makes everything easier and opens up space for everyone else to start looking forward not back.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Something positive Nostradamus N2Blue continues form…. on 10:58 - Feb 6 with 1792 viewsunstableblue

Something positive Nostradamus N2Blue continues form…. on 10:21 - Feb 6 by N2_Blue

Shame I didn’t have money on that run of 5.

I think 74 may not be quite enough, think it may be 76 but it shows we are still on track despite the two defeats.

The performances are disappointing but I believe we will get better and hopefully Morsy back will change things. I just hope we can get through Tues with a win. I’m not overly confident though.

Playoffs are still very unlikely. I give about a 15% chance but key game is Oxford. If we beat them the gap is 6 points. Making up 6 points in 15 other games is very achievable.

Don’t think we’ll finish above Wycombe, Sunderland or MK.

You could have retired N2!! I will continue to monitor your predictions.

I personally think Sunderland and/or Wycombe may drop out of the play offs and Sheff Weds will step up.

But given recent performances I’d say also that play offs are unlikely and Tuesday night will perhaps tell us more

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 11:01 - Feb 6 with 1762 viewsSimonds92

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 10:24 - Feb 6 by BiGDonnie

Each game is different. We're not going to be able to play brilliant football week in week out.
Took a while to get into the game yesterday but after the goal we were very comfortable. Gillingham have a new manager who has seemingly got them playing infinitely better than our last meeting with them.

Im not really negative about the manager, just that we've seen it all before as a club so i can't get too optimistic. Yesterday was like a carbon copy of the Lambert era, outplayed, slow and ponderous on the ball, nobody willing to play the killer pass but eventually winning due to having superior players. I don't think that as a group we can rely on them to go and win 7 from the next 10 which is what we need to do.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 11:55]
Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 11:12 - Feb 6 with 1707 viewsunstableblue

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 10:24 - Feb 6 by BiGDonnie

I personally get the negativity.

I’m always super positive about Town, and I am completely bought into McKenna, he sounds and feels like the progressive and technical manager we’ve been craving for years.

BUT, the performances are really going backwards after a promising start. There have been red flags all over recent displays and player performances. I think fans just want to see some incremental improvements. Maybe not even promotion. But players looked lost yesterday and devoid of the shape and tactics we had expected from McKenna.

The front 3 selection, the left side issues, the central mid problems (even with Morsy out)

Think we just need to see a good performance again; hopefully Tuesday.

One things that does get my goat, is the heaps of kids and new fans that came along Saturday, a cracking fan zone and build up… and we get a real lifeless display… Club and team need to seize the opportunity.

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 11:13 - Feb 6 with 1691 viewsunstableblue

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 11:01 - Feb 6 by Simonds92

Im not really negative about the manager, just that we've seen it all before as a club so i can't get too optimistic. Yesterday was like a carbon copy of the Lambert era, outplayed, slow and ponderous on the ball, nobody willing to play the killer pass but eventually winning due to having superior players. I don't think that as a group we can rely on them to go and win 7 from the next 10 which is what we need to do.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 11:55]

Think you’ve nailed it there

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 11:20 - Feb 6 with 1661 viewsITFCBlues

You missed Bolton off of your list.

We've played poor in the last 5 or so games now. Yes we've won alot, but we've also played alot of the divisions poorest sides so some perspective is certainly needed. We can't play this badly against the top 6 and expect to win, its not good enough.

There seems to be an obsession with possession, but what's the point of 71% possession like the first half and then doing nothing with it? All seems rather pointless to me. We've got to tweak things somewhat, especially in CM, you can't play Evans and Carroll, way too similar. El Miz should be starting Tuesday for me ahead of Carroll.

The current performances remind me of Lambert time here. Results against poor sides are really papering over the cracks. Yes, we're winning, but it's more down to us having more quality than actually building anything or being a cohesive team.

Early days under KM, but we seem to be going backwards currently rather than forwards, which is a concern.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 11:24 - Feb 6 with 1629 viewsDubtractor

Totally agree with this. Yesterday was always going to be a crap game - obviously it is disappointing that we couldn't get going, but a wins a win.

We've won 5 out of 7, with some mixed performances, but Keanish was on here yesterday talking about us starting to struggle under McKenna, and we may as well have stuck with Cook (he still hasn't got over it!). It took Cook 25 games to get to 5 wins FFS.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 11:27 - Feb 6 with 1610 viewsBiGDonnie

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 11:12 - Feb 6 by unstableblue

I personally get the negativity.

I’m always super positive about Town, and I am completely bought into McKenna, he sounds and feels like the progressive and technical manager we’ve been craving for years.

BUT, the performances are really going backwards after a promising start. There have been red flags all over recent displays and player performances. I think fans just want to see some incremental improvements. Maybe not even promotion. But players looked lost yesterday and devoid of the shape and tactics we had expected from McKenna.

The front 3 selection, the left side issues, the central mid problems (even with Morsy out)

Think we just need to see a good performance again; hopefully Tuesday.

One things that does get my goat, is the heaps of kids and new fans that came along Saturday, a cracking fan zone and build up… and we get a real lifeless display… Club and team need to seize the opportunity.

I don't get it and think it shows a level of immaturity. KM's had 7 games and won 5 of them, three without the captain and anchor in midfield.

Personally, I'm loving what I'm seeing and can see massive differences form under Cook and Lambert.

Gillingham were good yesterday and we were lucky with the injury they suffered, but we didn't concede and took our chance when we had it. After the goal we were much more comfortable.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 11:47 - Feb 6 with 1532 viewsRyorry

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 10:41 - Feb 6 by billlm

Sadly no one else plays the morsy role at the club,

As I said elsewhere, we need to bring in a second Morsy, and that we didn't do so in the window is its biggest disappointment for me.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 11:59 - Feb 6 with 1484 viewsChrisd

But as the OP suggests, it isn't just one game. NH has been in the job a matter of days at The Gills is he really going to have that much of an impact? At the end of the day, Gillingham are a side 2nd from bottom and low in confidence, new manager or not we shouldn't be wading through treacle against them. There is no doubt we struggled against them at times especially that 15-20 minute spell after HT and if I was one of their fans I'd be disappointed not coming away from PR with a point. Yes, our form looks good over the last 7 games, but when you actually pick away at some of those displays they have been less than impressive and the results have flattered us. I just haven't got the same level of optimism or confidence as some of our fanbase based on what I am seeing the team produce on the pitch at the moment.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 13:18]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 12:07 - Feb 6 with 1434 viewsRyorry

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 11:59 - Feb 6 by Chrisd

But as the OP suggests, it isn't just one game. NH has been in the job a matter of days at The Gills is he really going to have that much of an impact? At the end of the day, Gillingham are a side 2nd from bottom and low in confidence, new manager or not we shouldn't be wading through treacle against them. There is no doubt we struggled against them at times especially that 15-20 minute spell after HT and if I was one of their fans I'd be disappointed not coming away from PR with a point. Yes, our form looks good over the last 7 games, but when you actually pick away at some of those displays they have been less than impressive and the results have flattered us. I just haven't got the same level of optimism or confidence as some of our fanbase based on what I am seeing the team produce on the pitch at the moment.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 13:18]

It's a marathon not a sprint, we were always now building towards next season with Gamechanger & KM - as a couple of others have said, this season was too far already gone when KM arrived, and play-offs this season would be an unexpected massive bonus, rather than a realistic aim.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 12:12 - Feb 6 with 1394 viewsunstableblue

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 11:47 - Feb 6 by Ryorry

As I said elsewhere, we need to bring in a second Morsy, and that we didn't do so in the window is its biggest disappointment for me.

After a few wobbles at Hillsborough El Miz started to do a lot right. He should played with Evans or Carrol behind him

He brings energy and bite and breaks the lines.

Play him Tuesday and keep rest of the side the same, dependent on Burns

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 12:18 - Feb 6 with 1357 viewsbilllm

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 11:47 - Feb 6 by Ryorry

Deffinatly, let the Fleetwood kid slip away,
Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 12:23 - Feb 6 with 1335 viewsSimonds92

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 11:27 - Feb 6 by BiGDonnie

I don't get it and think it shows a level of immaturity. KM's had 7 games and won 5 of them, three without the captain and anchor in midfield.

Personally, I'm loving what I'm seeing and can see massive differences form under Cook and Lambert.

Gillingham were good yesterday and we were lucky with the injury they suffered, but we didn't concede and took our chance when we had it. After the goal we were much more comfortable.

I would personally say the immaturity comes from beating Gillingham 4-0 and suddenly thinking we're the best team in the league and then losing at Bolton and we're suddenly dreadful. We are somewhere in between which is why it's crazy to get carried away thinking the playoffs are easily achievable. It is technically possible because we do have a very strong squad but we're still yet to show up in a meaningful game for about 6 years.
Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 12:36 - Feb 6 with 1290 viewsunstableblue

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 11:20 - Feb 6 by ITFCBlues

You missed Bolton off of your list.

We've played poor in the last 5 or so games now. Yes we've won alot, but we've also played alot of the divisions poorest sides so some perspective is certainly needed. We can't play this badly against the top 6 and expect to win, its not good enough.

There seems to be an obsession with possession, but what's the point of 71% possession like the first half and then doing nothing with it? All seems rather pointless to me. We've got to tweak things somewhat, especially in CM, you can't play Evans and Carroll, way too similar. El Miz should be starting Tuesday for me ahead of Carroll.

The current performances remind me of Lambert time here. Results against poor sides are really papering over the cracks. Yes, we're winning, but it's more down to us having more quality than actually building anything or being a cohesive team.

Early days under KM, but we seem to be going backwards currently rather than forwards, which is a concern.

Good post.

I think the key thing for me is this isn’t criticism of McKenna it’s player performance. And Bolton was the start of a run of mediocre player displays - 4/10 or 5/10 across the board.

It’s continued now for a lot of game.

Let’s hope this is a blip and we can return to wins and also positive display as per Wycombe at home and Gills away. Which were excellent (albeit front 3 were ragged at times against Wycombe)

Morsy return should be a catalyst. But I do wonder how we will cope without Burns.

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 12:50 - Feb 6 with 1242 viewspointofblue

A bit like how people were concerned when we were winning match after match at the start of 19/20 because the performances were not good enough? We saw how that worked out.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 13:02 - Feb 6 with 1206 viewsjayessess

Where did McKenna ball go? The squad/club mega issue returning on 12:50 - Feb 6 by pointofblue

A bit like how people were concerned when we were winning match after match at the start of 19/20 because the performances were not good enough? We saw how that worked out.

I don't think anyone imagines we'll continue playing like this and still rip up the league. But it is important that we're getting more resilient and defensively solid and it is good that results are improving.

The context here is that we're 7 games into a new managerial reign, some things are looking more sorted, some things we've seen only in flashes. That's something to be positive about. The context then was a manager who'd been in post for 30+ games, had a settled squad with a lot of experience in the division above and there were warning signs that we weren't going to improve. I don't see what's happening now as analogous.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024