Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Look at how Cardiff are playing at Anfield 12:18 - Feb 6 with 968 viewscbower

Men behind the ball. Trying to stifle Liverpool and maybe hit them on the break. This is precisely the kind of tactics we struggle against as we simply do not move the ball quickly enough and without Morsy (or even Aluko) in the centre of the park), there is nobody to carry the ball forward 20 or 30 yards, just sideways passers.

bluescouser

Look at how Cardiff are playing at Anfield on 12:27 - Feb 6 with 911 viewsjayessess

People often reach for this cliche when we struggle in this league, but very few teams actually sit back in a low block against us and it isn't the cause of our problems. Most teams, like Gillingham, push up very high and press us in possession rather than retreating. When we can't play through it we get stuck in our own half for long periods.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Look at how Cardiff are playing at Anfield on 12:38 - Feb 6 with 857 viewscbower

Look at how Cardiff are playing at Anfield on 12:27 - Feb 6 by jayessess

People often reach for this cliche when we struggle in this league, but very few teams actually sit back in a low block against us and it isn't the cause of our problems. Most teams, like Gillingham, push up very high and press us in possession rather than retreating. When we can't play through it we get stuck in our own half for long periods.

Either way, a strong high press or men behind the ball can only be overcome by crisp, quicker passing and somebody willing to play on the half turn and carry the ball forwards now and again. The point still stands, we are ponderous in our passing much of the time.

bluescouser

Look at how Cardiff are playing at Anfield on 13:00 - Feb 6 with 764 viewsLankHenners

It was poor all round yesterday and so not much point trying to single out specific players but I hated watching that midfield pairing of Evans and Carroll - far far far too slow and safe on the ball with Evans in particular very sloppy with his passing. Not completely surprised given the pair of them haven't played much recently due to injury problems but one thing Morsy brings is a willing to move forwards with the ball and run into spaces in the opposition half, all the while demanding he receives the ball.

Gillingham away it was easy as they were all over the place but at the moment we find it difficult against teams who are decently organised. In fairness to McKenna, it's tough to come in to a team halfway through the season playing inconsistently and try to improve the results whilst also implementing his own style and I doubt we'll see the best of what he can do until he has at least a pre-season and a summer window to shape his squad and drill his ideas in properly.

Having said that, I still find it bizarre that we're lacking someone in midfield who can take the ball under pressure, carry it forwards and look for positive passes and we've sent Harper out on loan.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Look at how Cardiff are playing at Anfield on 13:08 - Feb 6 with 717 viewscbower

Look at how Cardiff are playing at Anfield on 13:00 - Feb 6 by LankHenners

It was poor all round yesterday and so not much point trying to single out specific players but I hated watching that midfield pairing of Evans and Carroll - far far far too slow and safe on the ball with Evans in particular very sloppy with his passing. Not completely surprised given the pair of them haven't played much recently due to injury problems but one thing Morsy brings is a willing to move forwards with the ball and run into spaces in the opposition half, all the while demanding he receives the ball.

Gillingham away it was easy as they were all over the place but at the moment we find it difficult against teams who are decently organised. In fairness to McKenna, it's tough to come in to a team halfway through the season playing inconsistently and try to improve the results whilst also implementing his own style and I doubt we'll see the best of what he can do until he has at least a pre-season and a summer window to shape his squad and drill his ideas in properly.

Having said that, I still find it bizarre that we're lacking someone in midfield who can take the ball under pressure, carry it forwards and look for positive passes and we've sent Harper out on loan.

Harper did show he could turn and go forward but has rarely been given the opportunity to start alongside Morsy either in a midfield two or a three. Maybe Bakinson alongside the skipper is the plan?

bluescouser

Look at how Cardiff are playing at Anfield on 13:17 - Feb 6 with 660 viewsLankHenners

Look at how Cardiff are playing at Anfield on 13:08 - Feb 6 by cbower

Harper did show he could turn and go forward but has rarely been given the opportunity to start alongside Morsy either in a midfield two or a three. Maybe Bakinson alongside the skipper is the plan?

He was a bit inconsistent and struggled a bit in Cook's set-up as one of the '2' but I feel it's a bit harsh to not give him an opportunity here and bring Bakinson in. As you say, Bakinson might show a bit more than he has done so far if Morsy's alongside him.

Getting Morsy back in is the key anyway.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Look at how Cardiff are playing at Anfield on 13:31 - Feb 6 with 590 viewsIllinoisblue

Look at how Cardiff are playing at Anfield on 13:17 - Feb 6 by LankHenners

He was a bit inconsistent and struggled a bit in Cook's set-up as one of the '2' but I feel it's a bit harsh to not give him an opportunity here and bring Bakinson in. As you say, Bakinson might show a bit more than he has done so far if Morsy's alongside him.

Getting Morsy back in is the key anyway.

That might be one of the few things Cook was right about; the importance of Morsy.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Look at how Cardiff are playing at Anfield on 13:36 - Feb 6 with 555 viewsjayessess

Look at how Cardiff are playing at Anfield on 12:38 - Feb 6 by cbower

Either way, a strong high press or men behind the ball can only be overcome by crisp, quicker passing and somebody willing to play on the half turn and carry the ball forwards now and again. The point still stands, we are ponderous in our passing much of the time.

That willingness to play on the half turn and go past people or even just pass and move through their press is huge. You've basically got 5 players tasked with doing it in our system, the 3 centre midfielders and the 2 wing backs. Thompson, Evans and Carroll aren't doing it, Chaplin's erratic at doing it, leaving Burns as your only consistent option.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024