Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again 08:51 - Feb 7 with 2350 viewsDanTheMan

Some outstanding advice here, with the genius insight that she was able to do it three decades ago.

I'm glad at least at the end of the article they point out how absolutely ridiculous her amazing financial advice is.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 09:17 - Feb 7 with 1979 viewshype313

"Kirstie Allsopp, daughter of an Eton-educated Baron, tells young people struggling to buy a home to just look in cheaper areas and give up the gym and Netflix

She says she gets 'enraged' when young people can't buy their first home, something she did - with family help - aged 21

Setting aside the daughter-of-a-Baron thing, Allsopp says she was earning £11,500 a year and average UK house prices were £51,000 - so about 5 times her salary

Today, average house price is close to £260,000 - so about *9 times* average salary

(and she still got family help)"

She's got a staggering amount of lack of self awareness.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 09:36 - Feb 7 with 1928 viewsJ2BLUE

Surely even the dimmest people would know that was likely to go down like a lead balloon? It's almost like she said it to create a bit of controversy. No idea who she is to be honest? Does she have a film/book/tv show coming out soon?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 09:42 - Feb 7 with 1913 viewsKeno

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 09:36 - Feb 7 by J2BLUE

Surely even the dimmest people would know that was likely to go down like a lead balloon? It's almost like she said it to create a bit of controversy. No idea who she is to be honest? Does she have a film/book/tv show coming out soon?

she is the annoying chunky one on programme's like location location location location

I'm not sure whether Phil (Spencer not Ham) is "insert appropriate euphemism" but he is ok, she is just like a female version of Frimmers

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 09:48 - Feb 7 with 1879 viewsMattinLondon

The sad thing being that a lot of people who brought their first house before the mid 90s share her views on the property ladder.
I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 09:53 - Feb 7 with 1851 viewsLeoMuff

embarrassing really, does she not realise even a quick Google tells me her dad is a baron who was chairman of Christies, and attended a school which on day rates alone is upwards of£30k a year in fees, family help indeed.

Just ridiculous

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 10:33 - Feb 7 with 1788 viewsmonytowbray

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 09:48 - Feb 7 by MattinLondon

The sad thing being that a lot of people who brought their first house before the mid 90s share her views on the property ladder.

There are people who got homes in the early 00s who still spout this crap too.

Blubfish was one of them.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 11:01 - Feb 7 with 1732 viewsTrumptonBlue

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 09:42 - Feb 7 by Keno

she is the annoying chunky one on programme's like location location location location

I'm not sure whether Phil (Spencer not Ham) is "insert appropriate euphemism" but he is ok, she is just like a female version of Frimmers

A distant relative of mine was on Location etc once. His verdict on Spencer? "He's a dick."
I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 11:45 - Feb 7 with 1671 viewsbluelagos

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 11:50 - Feb 7 with 1647 viewsJ2BLUE

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 11:45 - Feb 7 by bluelagos

Even over a decade that is barely anything. Not to mention the amount of times people may have stayed in and argued over a Jimmy Carr joke on there instead of going out for smashed avocados on sourdough and a double Frappuccino with extra shots.

Truly impaired.

Thought for the day on 11:50 - Feb 7 with 1649 viewsSwansea_Blue

There are about twice as many UK second homes owned by people living in England as there are homeless people in the UK.

(Edit - I know that's not directly related to affordability, but it should be an important part of the housing discussion).
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 11:53]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 11:52 - Feb 7 with 1632 viewsbluelagos

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 11:50 - Feb 7 by J2BLUE

Even over a decade that is barely anything. Not to mention the amount of times people may have stayed in and argued over a Jimmy Carr joke on there instead of going out for smashed avocados on sourdough and a double Frappuccino with extra shots.

The things she suggested it was quoted would take 37 years to save the deposit for an average house. Of course in 37 years time the average house would be somewhat more expensive too.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Thought for the day on 11:58 - Feb 7 with 1606 viewsleitrimblue

Thought for the day on 11:50 - Feb 7 by Swansea_Blue

There are about twice as many UK second homes owned by people living in England as there are homeless people in the UK.

(Edit - I know that's not directly related to affordability, but it should be an important part of the housing discussion).

Think you may have just stumbled on a solution for homelessness Swansea, Good work. I think I may have a solution for hunger. I'm thinking the 1% sliced very thin on some pan tomaca with toast may be start
I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 12:00 - Feb 7 with 1595 viewsKeno

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 11:52 - Feb 7 by bluelagos

The things she suggested it was quoted would take 37 years to save the deposit for an average house. Of course in 37 years time the average house would be somewhat more expensive too.

Surely she should be suggesting that you send your grandparents and parents to a 'special Swiss clinic' and then you'll be able to buy your house from the inheritances

**Obviously dont try this kids, especially my kids**

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 12:05 - Feb 7 with 1586 viewsMattinLondon

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 10:33 - Feb 7 by monytowbray

There are people who got homes in the early 00s who still spout this crap too.

Blubfish was one of them.

That’s a shame…thought he had more sense than that.
Thought for the day on 12:07 - Feb 7 with 1581 viewsWD19

Thought for the day on 11:58 - Feb 7 by leitrimblue

Think you may have just stumbled on a solution for homelessness Swansea, Good work. I think I may have a solution for hunger. I'm thinking the 1% sliced very thin on some pan tomaca with toast may be start

I have a solution for hunger.

I am now on the lookout for between 3 and 4 billion volunteers to work up the case study for me.
I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 12:13 - Feb 7 with 1563 viewsDarth_Koont

I understand her point of view.

Only in that, this stuff has been reinforced by every single government and the vast majority of the media for 40-odd years. Probably didn’t even register a second thought at the Sunday Times.

All so remarkably short-sighted and self-interested. And above all what we keep voting for against most of our own interests.

Pronouns: He/Him

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 12:27 - Feb 7 with 1499 viewsgiant_stow

Its a shame she didn't use her platform to argue the opposite. Maybe we shouldn't be surprised though as she is part of the industry which survives on this sort of bs.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Thought for the day on 12:46 - Feb 7 with 1452 viewstractordownsouth

Thought for the day on 11:50 - Feb 7 by Swansea_Blue

I'd completely ban buy-to-let. I wouldn't do it retrospectively but ending it for future purchases would massively slow the ballooning prices.

That would have to be combined with a council house building programme. It's difficult to do from a political point of view because it would take more than one parliamentary term to implement, but if it could be done it would be massive.

Also Allsop's point is economically completely stupid - even if substituting these items could buy a house, it would destroy local coffee shops, pubs and gyms. As for "just move somewhere else" I'm sure these people will be the first to complain when there's a lack of teachers, nurses and care workers in the South East because they've all been priced out of the area by their rich mates.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 12:52 - Feb 7 with 1426 viewsitfc_bucks

See, my wife and I did this and bought our first house, 8 years ago.

We even managed to buy it in Buckinghamshire, a nice little 3 bed place.

We also earnt the best part of £90k/year between us.

Anyone on average earnings never stood a chance.
I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 13:04 - Feb 7 with 1387 viewsitfcjoe

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 12:52 - Feb 7 by itfc_bucks

See, my wife and I did this and bought our first house, 8 years ago.

We even managed to buy it in Buckinghamshire, a nice little 3 bed place.

We also earnt the best part of £90k/year between us.

Anyone on average earnings never stood a chance.

My wife worked offshore earning good tax free money and I was a fair way above the average wage living with my parents which meant we were able to save a deposit quickly.

If you aren't in a position where you can save almost at the very minimum the best part of grand a month you just are never going to make it, £150 a month will go absolutely nowhere, and just gets eaten into as things happen.........and then when you are so far away from achieving something it makes it very difficult to continue saving

If you need £25k to pay a deposit, kit out house and cover fees etc of a build which probably isn't far off the minimum for a first time buyer - until you can get even half way to that sort of figure you will just continue to be a bit frivolous (AKA actually try and enjoy your one and only lifetime on this planet) if saving slowly.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 13:10 - Feb 7 with 1343 viewsDurovigutum

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 09:48 - Feb 7 by MattinLondon

There's a very distinct window between 1994, when the last of the ERM 15% interest rate mortgage holders had thrown in the towel, and about 2002. If you bought in this period (like me) you are likely to be set for life property wise and unless you have engaged with the market recently (as I did when I persuaded myself moving somewhere larger was financial suicide and a vanity project, even though I could "afford it") then you should keep your opinions to yourself as they are not valid. Even with that engagement I'd not listen to my house buying advice, I've been predicting a house price correction since 2004 and I'm still convinced it must arrive at some point....
Thought for the day on 13:18 - Feb 7 with 1299 viewsDarth_Koont

Thought for the day on 12:46 - Feb 7 by tractordownsouth

I'd completely ban buy-to-let. I wouldn't do it retrospectively but ending it for future purchases would massively slow the ballooning prices.

That would have to be combined with a council house building programme. It's difficult to do from a political point of view because it would take more than one parliamentary term to implement, but if it could be done it would be massive.

Also Allsop's point is economically completely stupid - even if substituting these items could buy a house, it would destroy local coffee shops, pubs and gyms. As for "just move somewhere else" I'm sure these people will be the first to complain when there's a lack of teachers, nurses and care workers in the South East because they've all been priced out of the area by their rich mates.

Agreed. The whole thing is as socially and economically illiterate as when ToiletBloo said it.

The big issue is of course that for Allsop and others that last 30 years of wealth creation around property has been spectacularly good. And it’s pressure on buyers (and other home owners) to not just prop up that wealth but keep adding to it.

Buy-to-lets, people buying up the social stock without replacing it, financial deregulation to encourage crazy lending and borrowing, plus largely stagnant wages and a limp, low-productivity economy have created a perfect storm for a majority of people under 40. Ludicrous that we’ve sleepwalked into this.

Pronouns: He/Him

I see Toilet Blue has been writing for the Sunday Times again on 13:23 - Feb 7 with 1266 viewschicoazul

Yes she’s an idiot but frankly she is right. People should choose their parents much more carefully.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Thought for the day on 13:38 - Feb 7 with 1184 viewsLeoMuff

Thought for the day on 13:18 - Feb 7 by Darth_Koont

Agreed. The whole thing is as socially and economically illiterate as when ToiletBloo said it.

The big issue is of course that for Allsop and others that last 30 years of wealth creation around property has been spectacularly good. And it’s pressure on buyers (and other home owners) to not just prop up that wealth but keep adding to it.

Buy-to-lets, people buying up the social stock without replacing it, financial deregulation to encourage crazy lending and borrowing, plus largely stagnant wages and a limp, low-productivity economy have created a perfect storm for a majority of people under 40. Ludicrous that we’ve sleepwalked into this.

Not sure if we have sleep walked, every knows about this but the voting public who own homes rather like yearly increases, it is simply a huge vote loser to lower house prices or fix this mess -peoples sense of economic well being depends on it, hence interest rates going up .25 % when inflation is 6-7.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Thought for the day on 13:39 - Feb 7 with 1167 viewsJ2BLUE

Thought for the day on 13:18 - Feb 7 by Darth_Koont

A mate of mine got a £15,000 loan recently while paying off a previous one. A 30 second glance at his finances should have been enough for any responsible lender to say no way.

Lending is out of control again.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024