Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To those who say we need to be better 08:44 - Feb 9 with 1054 viewsITFC_Esquire

While on gut feeling from the last 2 games I can absolutely appreciate where you are coming from. I certainly left the gills game with a similar outlook. However, looking at the teams who are in the top 6 this year, it doesn’t take much to realise that in fact to get top 6 you don’t even have to be that good… This league is such that you just need to consistently do what we have since McKenna has come in - it might not seem like a Manchester City style title winning display, but this isn’t the premier league and we can’t expect that.

When reflecting on McKenna’s style it became apparent to me that while it appears we often struggle to carve opponents apart, we still create quite a few big chances in *most* of our games. Take last night for example: Bonne had a couple, Wolf had some headers, Norwood should have taken/squared his one and even Donacien had a decent chance from a header. All while limiting (an admittedly poor) side to next to nothing in front of goal. Yet still people complained and were unhappy about the performance.

I agree that at times, especially when you feel we are not getting the result we want, passing it around the back can be infuriating - but this allows us to limit the opponents to so few chances that over the course of the game you create more chances than your opponent and thus have a good chance of winning or at least drawing.

This got me thinking, how many big chances do we create/concede per a game at the moment and how has this changed since McKenna has come in

The 8 games McKenna has been here:
Big chances created 2.125 per game
Big chances conceded 0.625 big chances per game
Difference of +1.5

The 8 league games prior to McKenna:
Big chances created 1.875
Big chances conceded 2.125
Difference of -0.5

So overall we seem to be actually creating a similar amount of big chances per game (despite the appearance that we are not) and our control of games means we are offering teams far less big opportunities. While it offers hope for this season it should certainly be a good recipe for a season long campaign - although of course you have to maintain it!

There are some caveats to add here - McKenna has arguably had a slightly easier run than our 8 before him, we had a few games under interim in the games prior, cook was clearly not getting the best tune out of the players during this sample or he wouldn’t have been sacked and finally that we need to do it against big teams which barring Wycombe we have not yet proven ourselves. Regardless I thought it an interesting set of statistics.

Another caveat: I am (like most of us) a hopeless blue tinted goggles kind of guy.

COYB. KMcs Blue and White Army.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2022 8:45]

Poll: What’s your ‘Away Priority Points Balance’?

To those who say we need to be better on 08:47 - Feb 9 with 996 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Excellent post, cheers.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

To those who say we need to be better on 08:52 - Feb 9 with 968 viewsPrrrromotionGiven

The Gillingham performance really wasn't good enough and we looked second best at times. Nothing seriously wrong with yesterday, created loads and never in big danger defensively.
To those who say we need to be better (n/t) on 09:40 - Feb 9 with 878 viewsITFC_Esquire

To those who say we need to be better on 08:52 - Feb 9 by PrrrromotionGiven

The Gillingham performance really wasn't good enough and we looked second best at times. Nothing seriously wrong with yesterday, created loads and never in big danger defensively.

Definitely agree, but I guess that one of the upsides of this consistent marginal gains style of play is that in theory it can allow you to get results more regularly from performances like that. Exactly why people keep saying “we would have lost that game previously”. All about control.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2022 9:43]

To those who say we need to be better on 09:49 - Feb 9 with 802 viewsStewart27

Thank you for the great analysis.

Does go to show that playing the way we do, we are creating chances and taking enough of them to grind out wins, as we are no where near as vulnerable at the back.

I’d take 1-0 all day over going 2-0 up and throwing it away.
To those who say we need to be better on 09:57 - Feb 9 with 747 viewsITFC_Esquire

To those who say we need to be better on 09:49 - Feb 9 by Stewart27

Thank you for the great analysis.

Does go to show that playing the way we do, we are creating chances and taking enough of them to grind out wins, as we are no where near as vulnerable at the back.

I’d take 1-0 all day over going 2-0 up and throwing it away.

Especially when you couple it with the second best conversion rate in the league (admittedly not on last nights showing).

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/chancenverwertung/wettbewerb/GB3

To those who say we need to be better on 10:17 - Feb 9 with 715 viewsC_Jam_Blue

Good stats. Tends to confirm my belief that the one missing piece of the jigsaw at the moment is an in-form striker. Defence is solid, central mid with Morsey and Evans is pretty consistent with reasonable back-up from El Miz and Bakinson. Still early but I think left side is strengthened by Thompson and Burns provides flair on the right. In Celina, Chaplin and Aluko we have three strong creative players. We just need one of our strikers to step up. I still believe it will be Bonne despite his recent struggles but if he can not find that killer instinct very soon, Norwood or less likely Piggott will need to play out of their skins.
To those who say we need to be better on 10:43 - Feb 9 with 661 viewsGuthrum

To those who say we need to be better on 10:17 - Feb 9 by C_Jam_Blue

Good stats. Tends to confirm my belief that the one missing piece of the jigsaw at the moment is an in-form striker. Defence is solid, central mid with Morsey and Evans is pretty consistent with reasonable back-up from El Miz and Bakinson. Still early but I think left side is strengthened by Thompson and Burns provides flair on the right. In Celina, Chaplin and Aluko we have three strong creative players. We just need one of our strikers to step up. I still believe it will be Bonne despite his recent struggles but if he can not find that killer instinct very soon, Norwood or less likely Piggott will need to play out of their skins.

The saving grace is that we have goals pretty much all over the pitch - Aluko, Burns, Celina, Chaplin, Evans and now Bakinson, plus Edmundson has bagged a couple as a CB. 27 in total in the League.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

To those who say we need to be better on 11:17 - Feb 9 with 578 viewsITFC_Esquire

To those who say we need to be better on 10:17 - Feb 9 by C_Jam_Blue

I tend to agree. While I think Bonne will always have a miss in him, I think he offers so much more than just goals. He’s a presence up top and has the technical ability to link play which is pivotal if we want to continue playing as we do. Just look at that assist for burns vs. Wimbledon…
Additionally I think once he breaks his duck he will come good for the business end of the season. Or at least I hope he will. Seems to be honing his sights recently.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024