Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How the table could look after the weekend 12:47 - Feb 10 with 1678 viewsSamWhiteUK

Inspired some posts on Twitter of some other leagues, I put a tool together to look at the next matchday's fixtures and the league table as it stands, and to work out the highest and lowest possible position for each team.

A green or blue bar represents positions that can be reached with a goal difference swing of <4.

An orange or yellow bar represents positions that can be mathematically reached, but are less likely as they require a swing of >= 4 goal difference.

A red 'x' represents positions that, while reachable points-wise, are actually impossible due to other fixtures.

I made this a while ago when things were looking a lot more positive, but it's been parked for ages because it made for depressing reading. I've decided to bring it out mainly to obtain feedback, and who knows, maybe things could start to look exciting. It's just something that's fun to look at.

If you spot any errors, please let me know, or if there is anything you'd like to add. Some ideas I have had are

- Show at each position on the orange/yellow bars just how much GD swing is required for said position to be reached
- Show at the bottom what is causing any impossible positions (red 'x's)
- Show each teams next opponent - maybe at the top of each column, written vertically

Anyway, enough rambling, here it is. How the League 1 table could look after Saturday Feb 12th's fixtures (click to enlarge):

Credit BBC Sport for the fixtures and our very own Gav for the league table source

[Post edited 10 Feb 2022 12:51]
How the table could look after the weekend on 12:51 - Feb 10 with 1591 viewsSwansea_Blue

The only way is up, baby.

Edit - the needed GD swing would be good, as long as it doesn't make it too cluttered. Impressive work.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2022 12:53]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How the table could look after the weekend on 12:52 - Feb 10 with 1581 viewsPhantasm

This is absolutely class - would you mind sharing it and/or how much of it would be translatable to other tables/fixtures? I'd have one eye on (for example) Fantasy NFL permutations and so on.

Thanks in advance.

FWIW I'd have the 'Next Opponent' as a column at the end.
How the table could look after the weekend on 12:54 - Feb 10 with 1564 viewsSwansea_Blue

How the table could look after the weekend on 12:52 - Feb 10 by Phantasm

This is absolutely class - would you mind sharing it and/or how much of it would be translatable to other tables/fixtures? I'd have one eye on (for example) Fantasy NFL permutations and so on.

Thanks in advance.

FWIW I'd have the 'Next Opponent' as a column at the end.

Good isn't it? There are a lot of tools on this forum, but that's the best one I've seen!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How the table could look after the weekend on 12:56 - Feb 10 with 1551 viewsitfcjoe

This is good thanks, Experimental361 does something similar looking at probabilities of results and where teams could go to

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How the table could look after the weekend on 13:11 - Feb 10 with 1430 viewsSamWhiteUK

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I will definitely put the next opponent in. That was something I always planned to do, but I just never got around to it and I just wanted to get it out there.

Joe, that table looks really good and had I known about it I wouldn't have bothered!

I will take the points into my plans and try to post this before every game day. How often would people like to see this? Every day with a Town game? Every day with a fixture for any team? The way it works currently, is if all the games bar one are on a Saturday, the Sunday game won't be taken into consideration i.e. it's not a "round" of fixtures, per se. That's complicated, and even more so now there are teams like Wigan with loads of games in hand.

It wouldn't be too hard to adapt to other leagues - at the moment it works for the Prem, Champ, L1 and L2, as that's what TWTD has available.
How the table could look after the weekend on 13:16 - Feb 10 with 1403 viewsitfcjoe

How the table could look after the weekend on 13:11 - Feb 10 by SamWhiteUK

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I will definitely put the next opponent in. That was something I always planned to do, but I just never got around to it and I just wanted to get it out there.

Joe, that table looks really good and had I known about it I wouldn't have bothered!

I will take the points into my plans and try to post this before every game day. How often would people like to see this? Every day with a Town game? Every day with a fixture for any team? The way it works currently, is if all the games bar one are on a Saturday, the Sunday game won't be taken into consideration i.e. it's not a "round" of fixtures, per se. That's complicated, and even more so now there are teams like Wigan with loads of games in hand.

It wouldn't be too hard to adapt to other leagues - at the moment it works for the Prem, Champ, L1 and L2, as that's what TWTD has available.

I think before ITFC games is good - but do think that it would be worth trying to include a 'round' of fixtures as in a weekend, or a Tues&Weds midweek - if there are random games in hand out there I wouldn't worry about it too much as they are just outliers

How the table could look after the weekend on 13:21 - Feb 10 with 1370 viewsSamWhiteUK

How the table could look after the weekend on 13:16 - Feb 10 by itfcjoe

I think before ITFC games is good - but do think that it would be worth trying to include a 'round' of fixtures as in a weekend, or a Tues&Weds midweek - if there are random games in hand out there I wouldn't worry about it too much as they are just outliers

That's a good idea. I will try and post the morning of an ITFC game, and I will try and look up to the end of Sunday if it's a weekend, or the end of Friday if it's during the week. The only time this might cause an issue is if a team played, for some reason, on a Tuesday and a Friday, but I don't think that will ever happen? Or isn't likely? You perhaps know more than I about fixture scheduling.
How the table could look after the weekend on 13:23 - Feb 10 with 1359 viewsitfcjoe

How the table could look after the weekend on 13:21 - Feb 10 by SamWhiteUK

That's a good idea. I will try and post the morning of an ITFC game, and I will try and look up to the end of Sunday if it's a weekend, or the end of Friday if it's during the week. The only time this might cause an issue is if a team played, for some reason, on a Tuesday and a Friday, but I don't think that will ever happen? Or isn't likely? You perhaps know more than I about fixture scheduling.

I think midweek Tues&Weds works, as any games on Mon or Thors/Fri will likely be fill in games which may distort - just would be messy if one team has more than one game in a period

Login to get fewer ads

How the table could look after the weekend on 13:25 - Feb 10 with 1338 viewsSamWhiteUK

How the table could look after the weekend on 13:23 - Feb 10 by itfcjoe

I think midweek Tues&Weds works, as any games on Mon or Thors/Fri will likely be fill in games which may distort - just would be messy if one team has more than one game in a period

Yep, ok. Those games will just have to be missed (unless it's us playing, then I'll post an extra table with just that eve's matches)
How the table could look after the weekend on 20:42 - Feb 10 with 963 viewstextbackup

thats a really good tool/table mate.

if, like me, aged 37, you spend a few times a day looking at the table thinking "yeah but what if" this is handy

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024