Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The rise of the anti-work movement 11:37 - Feb 11 with 1731 viewsBent_double

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20220126-the-rise-of-the-anti-work-movement

One for you, Bankster.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

The rise of the anti-work movement on 12:00 - Feb 11 with 1636 viewsDanTheMan

Funnily enough, as they note at the bottom, that subreddit absolutely imploded when Fox News absolutely screwed them over. And I have to give them credit, they did an incredibly good job at it, researching the perfect person from the mod team on /r/antiwork to choose to interview. That said it was apparently all OKed by the mod team even though the whole subreddit told them not to do the interview as it would only go badly.

Which it did.

As the person they decided to put in front of Fox News, they went with a trans-woman who works as a part time dog walker, who complained that they shouldn't have to work and that laziness basically shouldn't be seen as bad. Obviously they came across like a complete moron and any steam that subreddit was picking up was absolutely smashed by the humiliation.

Drama erupted and eventually they just locked down the subreddit. All the people who aren't insane went over to a subreddit called /r/workreform which is obviously a much more palatable idea than just "anti-work".

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

The rise of the anti-work movement on 14:07 - Feb 11 with 1503 viewsMoriarty

fka omuircheartaigh

The rise of the anti-work movement on 14:42 - Feb 11 with 1427 viewsDarth_Koont

Think this will, in theory, be solved by the growth of AI and automation.

I agree entirely that jobs with little intrinsic value and little opportunity to grow are bad for people. But more and more of these will be handled by AI algorithms and automation.

The valuable and productive jobs will all be about bringing human value to the fore and developing it. Both as the unmatched power and adaptability of the human brain to understand and solve more complex problems, as well as how we can deal with other human beings (empathy, warmth, friendliness, expressiveness).

Also, there probably won’t be enough work for everyone, and we probably want to free up people to look for and develop value, so a Universal Basic Income seems pretty inevitable at some stage.

I fear for the UK that seems a fair bit behind the times even compared to emerging economies like Estonia, Finland etc. These countries seem a fair bit further ahead in understanding the workforce of the future – educated, tech-savvy and creative.

Pronouns: He/Him

The rise of the anti-work movement on 15:29 - Feb 11 with 1352 viewsGuthrum

The rise of the anti-work movement on 14:42 - Feb 11 by Darth_Koont

Think this will, in theory, be solved by the growth of AI and automation.

I agree entirely that jobs with little intrinsic value and little opportunity to grow are bad for people. But more and more of these will be handled by AI algorithms and automation.

The valuable and productive jobs will all be about bringing human value to the fore and developing it. Both as the unmatched power and adaptability of the human brain to understand and solve more complex problems, as well as how we can deal with other human beings (empathy, warmth, friendliness, expressiveness).

Also, there probably won’t be enough work for everyone, and we probably want to free up people to look for and develop value, so a Universal Basic Income seems pretty inevitable at some stage.

I fear for the UK that seems a fair bit behind the times even compared to emerging economies like Estonia, Finland etc. These countries seem a fair bit further ahead in understanding the workforce of the future – educated, tech-savvy and creative.

The problem is, if you can make lots of money through AI and automation, why would you want to pay for people at all - especially if they're not working for you (as with UBI)?

In reality, without people there would be no market for those AI/automation-produced goods, so there ought to be self-interest there. But that would require a degree of long-sightedness I'm not sure all industrialists and investors possess.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The rise of the anti-work movement on 15:36 - Feb 11 with 1336 viewsDarth_Koont

The rise of the anti-work movement on 15:29 - Feb 11 by Guthrum

The problem is, if you can make lots of money through AI and automation, why would you want to pay for people at all - especially if they're not working for you (as with UBI)?

In reality, without people there would be no market for those AI/automation-produced goods, so there ought to be self-interest there. But that would require a degree of long-sightedness I'm not sure all industrialists and investors possess.

It’s got to come from government. In the same way that a government makes (or can make) universal education and universal healthcare part of society.

Which again is a big problem for us in the UK. I have no faith we have the government(s) who really understand the importance of free education and healthcare given their backsliding over the years. Something more long-sighted and indirect like UBI? No chance.

The rise of the anti-work movement on 17:43 - Feb 11 with 1198 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

"Supporters of the anti-work movement believe people should self-organise and labour only as much as needed, rather than working longer hours to create excess capital or goods."

It's a no brainer!!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The rise of the anti-work movement on 19:13 - Feb 11 with 1073 viewsDurovigutum

The rise of the anti-work movement on 15:36 - Feb 11 by Darth_Koont

It’s got to come from government. In the same way that a government makes (or can make) universal education and universal healthcare part of society.

Which again is a big problem for us in the UK. I have no faith we have the government(s) who really understand the importance of free education and healthcare given their backsliding over the years. Something more long-sighted and indirect like UBI? No chance.

It's an interesting topic. I agree that there is zero chance of this government, or even a UK government formed in the way we currently form our government, getting anywhere near UBI or a proactive direction of travel for the future.

I'm of the view that UBI is less important if we can sort out housing, but that's another 30 story of ignoring the facts that sits with the three blind monkey approach to the care crisis, energy and the environment - all which could now have better outcomes with small but compound actions.

I'm keen to see the UBI trial results.
The rise of the anti-work movement on 19:31 - Feb 11 with 1033 viewsDarth_Koont

The rise of the anti-work movement on 19:13 - Feb 11 by Durovigutum

It's an interesting topic. I agree that there is zero chance of this government, or even a UK government formed in the way we currently form our government, getting anywhere near UBI or a proactive direction of travel for the future.

I'm of the view that UBI is less important if we can sort out housing, but that's another 30 story of ignoring the facts that sits with the three blind monkey approach to the care crisis, energy and the environment - all which could now have better outcomes with small but compound actions.

I'm keen to see the UBI trial results.

We agree here totally.

Not sure in the other thread why we’re disagreeing as if it’s only a “pragmatic”, beige solution that we can hope for.

Political leadership is about making such cases and pushing for better policies. Blair was never interested in that and Brown didn’t have the time nor the credentials.

Login to get fewer ads

The rise of the anti-work movement on 22:21 - Feb 11 with 902 viewsSwansea_Blue

Rise? I’ve been anti-work (for anyone else) for decades.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The rise of the anti-work movement on 22:29 - Feb 11 with 889 viewsSwansea_Blue

The rise of the anti-work movement on 17:43 - Feb 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

"Supporters of the anti-work movement believe people should self-organise and labour only as much as needed, rather than working longer hours to create excess capital or goods."

It's a no brainer!!

Longer than necessary hours doesn’t automatically lead to over-production though. Depending on the business, it can just as easily lead to lower productivity. Payment by time is a stupid way of going about things. We all know people who work part time, who work smarter and faster and get just as much done as the full timers who plod through the day.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024