Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BDS does charity.... 10:51 - Feb 13 with 9183 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

It's your chance to show some love! Junior is making me walk a marathon with her at the end of July to raise some money for Macmillan who, sadly, far too many of us have had to call on. At great personal stress I have set up an exclusive twtd just giving page (you are all I have!!) so don't let me down you lovely peeps....lefties, righties and the bits in the middle, do your worst!!
Anybody know if you need to train before walking 26 miles???

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/bankster-debt-slave1?newPage=True

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

BDS does charity.... on 12:02 - Feb 14 with 3004 viewsPinewoodblue

BDS does charity.... on 22:48 - Feb 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

Very kind of you although it is still 5 months before my stroll. I will be sure to bounce it again nearer the time and let you all know how training/walking to various distant pubs is going.

45 years ago I took the place, at 24 hours notice, of an unwell colleague on a 10 mile charity run.

No training but fortunately no blisters. Don’t think I’ve ever had a better pint than the one waiting on the finish line.

Donated yesterday but for some reason it now shows as anonymous.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

BDS does charity.... on 17:52 - Feb 14 with 2929 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

BDS does charity.... on 10:31 - Feb 14 by WeWereZombies

I walked forty two miles in a day once but I was about thirty years younger then...although I drank more heavily in those days and was probably more unfit...there again I was married with two kids and the Lyke Wake Walk got me out of the house for the weekend...but you say you are walking this WITH your daughter. Brave man.

I was fine for the first thirty four miles but then it got dark and I wanted to give up, but as one of the last three of the dozen who had set off I was goaded on by the other two, bl00dy senior management. And there were no access points on the last eight miles to get to the support vehicle.

We did have a long lunch at The Lion Inn on Blakey Ridge and that, reinforcing Lagos's point, probably helped. I would advise getting a training regime in place so that you get used to walking, say ten miles or more, a couple of times a week. Having an outdoor job probably puts you at an advantage to others though.

I have been trying to kid myself about the outdoor fitness thing but the truth is that it is nearly all upper body stuff (hedges, raking etc) and I have legs like sticks!!
I am hoping though that the Altberg boots as recommended by you will come into their own.

BDS does charity.... on 19:49 - Feb 14 with 2901 viewsjeera

Not ignoring this Banksters. Just a bit short atm, but will contribute down the line.

It's looking good so far, nice one.

With still so much time to go too!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

BDS does charity.... on 20:15 - Feb 14 with 2888 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

BDS does charity.... on 19:49 - Feb 14 by jeera

Not ignoring this Banksters. Just a bit short atm, but will contribute down the line.

It's looking good so far, nice one.

With still so much time to go too!

Amazing isn't it.
Junior has me in training...tonight was abs work out night. Come July I'll be running it.........not!
Save your money for my August 'Go Fund Me' follow up to help pay for a relaxing spa weekend away.

BDS does charity.... on 08:15 - Feb 15 with 2816 viewsLord_Lucan

BDS does charity.... on 12:02 - Feb 14 by Pinewoodblue

45 years ago I took the place, at 24 hours notice, of an unwell colleague on a 10 mile charity run.

No training but fortunately no blisters. Don’t think I’ve ever had a better pint than the one waiting on the finish line.

Donated yesterday but for some reason it now shows as anonymous.

Ah. A Ted Danson anonymous!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

BDS does charity.... on 12:20 - Feb 15 with 2744 viewsgordon

BDS does charity.... on 10:08 - Feb 14 by Darth_Koont

Nice one, BDS!

I’d just say take it slow, enjoy and make sure you have the shoe/sock combo to avoid blisters.

Also: take good blister plasters!
BDS does charity.... on 19:44 - Feb 16 with 2567 viewsSwansea_Blue

BDS does charity.... on 20:15 - Feb 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

Amazing isn't it.
Junior has me in training...tonight was abs work out night. Come July I'll be running it.........not!
Save your money for my August 'Go Fund Me' follow up to help pay for a relaxing spa weekend away.

Abs? Just how are you planning to do this?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

BDS does charity.... on 19:54 - Feb 16 with 2558 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

BDS does charity.... on 19:44 - Feb 16 by Swansea_Blue

Abs? Just how are you planning to do this?

I thought maybe in a crop top!

Login to get fewer ads

BDS does charity.... on 20:43 - Feb 16 with 2534 viewsRyorry

BDS does charity.... on 19:54 - Feb 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

I thought maybe in a crop top!

Bikini, for double stakes

(and I mean you! not young Ms Bankster).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

BDS does charity.... on 21:47 - Feb 16 with 2526 viewsWeWereZombies

BDS does charity.... on 20:43 - Feb 16 by Ryorry

Bikini, for double stakes

(and I mean you! not young Ms Bankster).

I think you taking things a bit too far, Ryorry. Might I suggest a compromise:

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

BDS does charity.... on 22:16 - Feb 16 with 2510 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

BDS does charity.... on 21:47 - Feb 16 by WeWereZombies

Maybe not that colour but it would look good with boots.

BDS does charity.... on 22:17 - Feb 16 with 2500 viewsRyorry

BDS does charity.... on 21:47 - Feb 16 by WeWereZombies

Think the organisers would have something to say about that!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

BDS does charity.... on 23:58 - Feb 16 with 2489 viewsBigCommon

I may be stating the obvious , but one thing to be mindful of, are blisters.. If you intend carrying a small backpack with water/snacks. Then its worth having a change of footwear on board... Best of luck with it....
BDS does charity.... on 16:17 - Feb 17 with 2415 viewsSteve_M

BDS does charity.... on 23:58 - Feb 16 by BigCommon

I may be stating the obvious , but one thing to be mindful of, are blisters.. If you intend carrying a small backpack with water/snacks. Then its worth having a change of footwear on board... Best of luck with it....

Definitely a change of socks too given it will (hopefully) be warm.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

BDS does charity.... on 21:07 - Feb 17 with 2388 viewsSwansea_Blue

BDS does charity.... on 23:58 - Feb 16 by BigCommon

Nah, he'll be on a skateboard so no worries.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

BDS does charity.... on 16:11 - Feb 19 with 2239 viewsbazza

Good luck 👍🏻
BDS does charity.... on 18:25 - Feb 19 with 2206 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

BDS does charity.... on 16:11 - Feb 19 by bazza

Good luck 👍🏻

Thanks to you and everybody else too. Amazing support....best get a training walk in soon.
COYB!!

BDS does charity.... on 19:37 - Feb 19 with 2187 viewsbazza

BDS does charity.... on 18:25 - Feb 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

Thanks to you and everybody else too. Amazing support....best get a training walk in soon.
COYB!!

No problem, Good cause , oh, and probably best to train a little if you can. 😂
BDS does charity.... on 09:52 - Feb 22 with 2015 viewsBrockleyBlue78

Superb event and for a wonderful cause. As someone who has done a little walking (76 marathons in 104 days for example) here's some advice I've picked up over the years:

1. Training - do as much walking as possible. Not sure what you do for work but you'll be spending 8-10 hours on your feet. Get used to it. Start with short distances and slowly build up the volume. Ideally, the first time you walk 26 miles continuously won't be during the event. At least aim for 13 miles on back-to-back days.

2. Footwear - wear road running trainers. You won't be carrying weight and if you've trained well your ankles will be strong enough. Buy a size larger than normal as your feet will swell. Compeed are great if you suffer blisters. Training will help avoid blisters.

3. Clothing - synthetic sports clothing, nylon and polyester for example. Not cotton and no jeans. Dress for an hour or two into the walk, not your temperature at the start. You will warm up and don't want to be carry too many clothes. Make sure you wear the same clothes on the day that you train in. Joking aside, the ITFC game shirt is perfect!

4. Feet - socks, something like Feetures elite ultra-light are ideal. During at least one stop but preferably more, take off shoes and socks and give your feet chance to breath and dry out. Ideally, change socks half way through.

5. Weight - be as light as possible. Carry only the essential bare minimum - easy to do with the regular food and drink stops. Naturally this extends to your own body weight too. Don't carry too much water between stops - 250 to 500ml is plenty and drink loads at the stops.

6. Pace - walk your own walk, go at your pace and don't try to keep up with others - especially key at the start when easy to get carried away. Don't focus on time, focus on how your body and mind feel.

7. Rest - take advantage of the rest stops. Lie down as much as possible, failing that sit down - even if everyone else is standing. Elevate feet and legs if possible.

8. Food - if you've done good training, you can rely on your body's fat stores rather than gels and the like on the day. Go steady on gels as they can upset stomachs and led to spikes in energy. Plenty of fluids on the day (pee should be gin clear) including electrolytes. Flat coke is great.

9. Route - know the route well. It's flat, easy going and beautiful. Take the time to enjoy it.

10. Advice - enjoy it! The best way to finish like a young man, is to start like an old man (start slow and steady).

Blue army!
BDS does charity.... on 10:20 - Feb 22 with 2008 viewsWeWereZombies

BDS does charity.... on 09:52 - Feb 22 by BrockleyBlue78

Superb event and for a wonderful cause. As someone who has done a little walking (76 marathons in 104 days for example) here's some advice I've picked up over the years:

1. Training - do as much walking as possible. Not sure what you do for work but you'll be spending 8-10 hours on your feet. Get used to it. Start with short distances and slowly build up the volume. Ideally, the first time you walk 26 miles continuously won't be during the event. At least aim for 13 miles on back-to-back days.

2. Footwear - wear road running trainers. You won't be carrying weight and if you've trained well your ankles will be strong enough. Buy a size larger than normal as your feet will swell. Compeed are great if you suffer blisters. Training will help avoid blisters.

3. Clothing - synthetic sports clothing, nylon and polyester for example. Not cotton and no jeans. Dress for an hour or two into the walk, not your temperature at the start. You will warm up and don't want to be carry too many clothes. Make sure you wear the same clothes on the day that you train in. Joking aside, the ITFC game shirt is perfect!

4. Feet - socks, something like Feetures elite ultra-light are ideal. During at least one stop but preferably more, take off shoes and socks and give your feet chance to breath and dry out. Ideally, change socks half way through.

5. Weight - be as light as possible. Carry only the essential bare minimum - easy to do with the regular food and drink stops. Naturally this extends to your own body weight too. Don't carry too much water between stops - 250 to 500ml is plenty and drink loads at the stops.

6. Pace - walk your own walk, go at your pace and don't try to keep up with others - especially key at the start when easy to get carried away. Don't focus on time, focus on how your body and mind feel.

7. Rest - take advantage of the rest stops. Lie down as much as possible, failing that sit down - even if everyone else is standing. Elevate feet and legs if possible.

8. Food - if you've done good training, you can rely on your body's fat stores rather than gels and the like on the day. Go steady on gels as they can upset stomachs and led to spikes in energy. Plenty of fluids on the day (pee should be gin clear) including electrolytes. Flat coke is great.

9. Route - know the route well. It's flat, easy going and beautiful. Take the time to enjoy it.

10. Advice - enjoy it! The best way to finish like a young man, is to start like an old man (start slow and steady).

Blue army!

Agree with some, but not all, of that. Not sure of the exact terrain that 'The Dedham Vale Mighty Hike' is over but, if in doubt, ankle support is best. I have gone over on my ankle a few times but thankfully never sprained or strained one miles from anywhere, it is almost my biggest fear about walking on the hills - or was until my head injury four years ago. A fall may be my biggest concern now.

On socks, I favour anything that is a cotton or wool mix. And I always wear two pairs to lessen the friction on the skin, I guess my feet have toughened up a bit over the years but can't say they have a leathery look to them, I never get blisters.

As far as my top goes, I just wear whatever is at the front of the wardrobe when I get up in the morning. For me the hills are not a fashion parade to show off the latest in outdoor technology and I quite often don't meet a single soul anyway...

Agree on the training, light pack and pacing but rest is something I only do to eat or take photos these days (I used to stop every hour in my twenties but that was mainly to smoke...), I never lie down until I am getting into a sleeping bag at night, if I feel like it I just keep going and mainly I want to see what is up ahead and just keep going, even uphill on Munros - weirdly that is something I have found easier now I am in my sixties and could have something to do with getting my body weight down, or just having a set of muscles that have gotten well honed over the years.

But, as you say, we each have our own pace and it is best to be aware of your body and do best by that rather than trying to keep up with others. There are usually some problems and you will not enjoy every step but if sufficient planning goes into the walk then the overall experience should be very rewarding.

BDS does charity.... on 20:30 - Feb 24 with 1965 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

BDS does charity.... on 09:52 - Feb 22 by BrockleyBlue78

Blue army!

Thanks for all of those tips which I have only just seen. We are planning on a 15 miler to and along the coast path (perhaps ending at a pub!) very soon.

BDS does charity.... on 20:50 - Feb 24 with 1961 viewsWeWereZombies

BDS does charity.... on 20:30 - Feb 24 by BanksterDebtSlave

Thanks for all of those tips which I have only just seen. We are planning on a 15 miler to and along the coast path (perhaps ending at a pub!) very soon.

You may find this guidebook useful then:

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/suffolk-coast-and-heath-walks-second

BDS does charity.... on 18:20 - Mar 13 with 1875 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Just completed a 13 mile, 4 hour ramble with Junior. Holding up well so far but hope we have a cool end of July!

BDS does charity.... on 19:29 - Jul 1 with 1438 viewsjeera

Bump.

This still happening then?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

BDS does charity.... on 19:35 - Jul 1 with 1432 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

BDS does charity.... on 19:29 - Jul 1 by jeera

Bump.

This still happening then?

Apparently so.....despite recently hearing that Dedham has hills. Tonight's training mostly involves red wine and a dog walk.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024