Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... 22:29 - Feb 13 with 8091 viewsTresBonne

He's growing in confidence. A goal would do him the world of good in the coming weeks.

Must be so refreshing for him to have a manager who believes in him & coaching staff who can improve him.

JD's resurgence is a prime example of why you never write off a player. He could potentially do the same. KJ did very well on MK, his best performance in a while. Only 2 seasons ago he scored the same amount and assisted more than Norwood in this division.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 22:47 - Feb 13 with 4377 viewsChrisd

Let’s wait and see over a series of games, instead of basing it on one encouraging appearance. Ultimately, he’s in the side to score goals and if he’s not doing that then there will be questions over his selection.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 22:49 - Feb 13 with 4374 viewsBondiBlue

Jackson hitting form would be lovely but he'd be most useful if we're playing on the counter, which i don't imagine we will be much, apart from rothetham away.

Poll: Which would you accept?

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 01:22 - Feb 14 with 4170 viewspatrickswell

We can only hope that McKenna’s supportof him has the same effect that Cook’s support had on Donacien, but I think he mentally checked out of this club two years ago.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 04:08 - Feb 14 with 4146 viewsBigCommon

Think some people are missing the point, regarding our forwards roles, under KM.. Imo, they are used as a foil/distraction, as much as anything else.. Occupying defenders and pulling them around to allow other players such as Chaplin , Burns, etc to ghost in unmarked..Or creating clear channels for the likes of Morsy, Cellina or even Woolfy, at times, to drive into. It's a role that requires a lot of, unselfish, effort. Hence , the majority of the time, in most games, a fresher , replacement, striker is brought on at around 70 minute mark... Often like for like. But, as we saw on Saturday, 2 brought on , fresh, to change formation ... My observation, is, that while most of the team are playing a neat, controlled, passing game, and letting the ball do the work (with the odd foray from our wingbacks). It is the forwards that are running themselves into the ground .And, perhaps, should not be harshly judged on their goals return, alone. But, more on, what the team creates, down to their efforts.. It's an incredibly, unselfish role. And perhaps explains, KM's liking for K.J. In that, he is probably showing the right strength of character, to be a team player, whenever called upon, without moaning , when not selected..... I won't be judging our forwards on their goals return, alone. Neither will I judge our defenders too harshly, if a mistake is made, when playing out from the back. Imo, it's the McKenna way. And as long as the squad are together and performing well and picking up points, as a unit. It doesn't really matter who scores, or who, even plays.... In fact, I quite like the unpredictable nature of KM's team selections... Under Cook, we had one main striker, one main focal point in attack and no in game management. It was easily sussed out.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 04:50 - Feb 14 with 4109 viewsHong_Kong_Bluey

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 22:47 - Feb 13 by Chrisd

Let’s wait and see over a series of games, instead of basing it on one encouraging appearance. Ultimately, he’s in the side to score goals and if he’s not doing that then there will be questions over his selection.

If you listen to the interviews, it would seem KM sees things differently.

I have no doubt he wants his strikers to score goals. It would be pretty daft to counterargue that. But KJ's position in the team as it was on Saturday was to run the channels and cause uncertainty in the defense, allowing space for our other forward players to move in to. Those forward moving players seem to include our defenders also when gaps open.

Sir Mick of Mills picked this up very early on Saturday, which enabled us to watch and see it happen in real time.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 05:12 - Feb 14 with 4087 viewsBondiBlue

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 04:08 - Feb 14 by BigCommon

Think some people are missing the point, regarding our forwards roles, under KM.. Imo, they are used as a foil/distraction, as much as anything else.. Occupying defenders and pulling them around to allow other players such as Chaplin , Burns, etc to ghost in unmarked..Or creating clear channels for the likes of Morsy, Cellina or even Woolfy, at times, to drive into. It's a role that requires a lot of, unselfish, effort. Hence , the majority of the time, in most games, a fresher , replacement, striker is brought on at around 70 minute mark... Often like for like. But, as we saw on Saturday, 2 brought on , fresh, to change formation ... My observation, is, that while most of the team are playing a neat, controlled, passing game, and letting the ball do the work (with the odd foray from our wingbacks). It is the forwards that are running themselves into the ground .And, perhaps, should not be harshly judged on their goals return, alone. But, more on, what the team creates, down to their efforts.. It's an incredibly, unselfish role. And perhaps explains, KM's liking for K.J. In that, he is probably showing the right strength of character, to be a team player, whenever called upon, without moaning , when not selected..... I won't be judging our forwards on their goals return, alone. Neither will I judge our defenders too harshly, if a mistake is made, when playing out from the back. Imo, it's the McKenna way. And as long as the squad are together and performing well and picking up points, as a unit. It doesn't really matter who scores, or who, even plays.... In fact, I quite like the unpredictable nature of KM's team selections... Under Cook, we had one main striker, one main focal point in attack and no in game management. It was easily sussed out.

Very good point that KM's post match comments confirm. BUT if strikers could also stick away some of the decent chances they've been getting recently, it wouldn't half help.

Poll: Which would you accept?

The issue is that we are averaging only 1 goal per game! on 05:28 - Feb 14 with 4041 viewsunstableblue

Bolton have scored 15 on their last 6!

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

[Redacted] on 06:02 - Feb 14 with 4019 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Login to get fewer ads

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 07:14 - Feb 14 with 3899 viewsFrimleyBlue

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 22:47 - Feb 13 by Chrisd

Actually you're wrong. Whilst it would be great for him to scre goals and of course you'd hope he does. He wasn't selected on Saturday for goals.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 07:15 - Feb 14 with 3912 viewsbobbyramsey

If that's the plan I suggest that it's not working.

We really need to start scoring goals.....
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 07:49 - Feb 14 with 3836 viewsChrisd

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 04:50 - Feb 14 by Hong_Kong_Bluey

If you listen to the interviews, it would seem KM sees things differently.

I have no doubt he wants his strikers to score goals. It would be pretty daft to counterargue that. But KJ's position in the team as it was on Saturday was to run the channels and cause uncertainty in the defense, allowing space for our other forward players to move in to. Those forward moving players seem to include our defenders also when gaps open.

Sir Mick of Mills picked this up very early on Saturday, which enabled us to watch and see it happen in real time.

If Jackson is running around creating space and closing defenders down terrific, but if he isn’t scoring goals when those opportunities arise that is what he’ll be judged on by fans and ultimately that’s what KM’s selection of him will be judged on too. If he is missing chances, especially if it is to win games, then I doubt very much if fans will be congratulating him for all efforts in pressing defenders. Saturday’s game at MK Dons would’ve been a prime example, if Jackson had a great chance at the end to win it, but he puts it straight at the keeper or wide would supporters be celebrating his running the channels? No and rightly so, because that is what he is paid to do, put those chances away. I don’t think there is a striker in work football that isn’t judged on their conversation rate and Jackson will be no different regardless of the role he is being asked to play by KM.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2022 8:15]

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 07:53 - Feb 14 with 3812 viewsChrisd

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 07:14 - Feb 14 by FrimleyBlue

Actually you're wrong. Whilst it would be great for him to scre goals and of course you'd hope he does. He wasn't selected on Saturday for goals.

Let’s see. If he misses a chance in injury time for us to beat Oxford or Plymouth to help us climb into the top 6, I’m sure you’ll be one of the first to complain. However, I just hope you remember prior to posting you reflect on the fact Jackson has done lots of closing down and running the channels the previous 90mins! 🙄 Let’s not forget Bonne’s 1 goal in 17, he works hard for the team, but many of us - me included - are more concerned by his lack of goals currently than his work rate.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2022 8:08]

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 08:05 - Feb 14 with 3767 viewsunstableblue

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 07:15 - Feb 14 by bobbyramsey

If that's the plan I suggest that it's not working.

We really need to start scoring goals.....

6 goals in 6 games!

Need to bang some in against Burton and Cheltenham

And maybe that means giving Jackson or Piggot a run of games

I’m still unhappy with Norwood and Bonnes sub display - it was woeful

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 08:24 - Feb 14 with 3708 viewsitfcjoe

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 08:05 - Feb 14 by unstableblue

6 goals in 6 games!

Sadly I don't think Pigott is going to be the answer for anything this season

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 08:38 - Feb 14 with 3632 viewsVeggie

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 07:14 - Feb 14 by FrimleyBlue

If that’s the case then it was a genius selection.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 08:55 - Feb 14 with 3515 viewshype313

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 08:24 - Feb 14 by itfcjoe

Sadly I don't think Pigott is going to be the answer for anything this season

Joe, why was Penny and Pigott doing warm up drills on Saturday even though they weren't in the 18? is that standard practice?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:11 - Feb 14 with 3446 viewstextbackup

I’m pretty confident that he could play 90mins in every remaining game and he’ll score no more than 2…

His pace is his biggest asset but doesn’t use it well at all.

I must say I don’t rate him in the slightest, never have, looks absolutely clueless

Toto of the striker world

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:14 - Feb 14 with 3441 viewsSouperJim

I wouldn't, he's crap.

Offers pace (which can be useful when the game is stretched or you want to create space for others), but little else. There were at least half a dozen occasions on Saturday where his touch was poor, he wasn't positive enough or made the wrong choice where I think any other striker in our squad probably would have done better (and certainly wouldn't have done worse).

He had one of our best chances from open play in the entire game, elected not to take the last defender on and hit a tame shot from distance.

Got nothing against the guy personally, but for me he's toilet.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:17 - Feb 14 with 3438 viewsSteve_M

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 07:49 - Feb 14 by Chrisd

If Jackson is running around creating space and closing defenders down terrific, but if he isn’t scoring goals when those opportunities arise that is what he’ll be judged on by fans and ultimately that’s what KM’s selection of him will be judged on too. If he is missing chances, especially if it is to win games, then I doubt very much if fans will be congratulating him for all efforts in pressing defenders. Saturday’s game at MK Dons would’ve been a prime example, if Jackson had a great chance at the end to win it, but he puts it straight at the keeper or wide would supporters be celebrating his running the channels? No and rightly so, because that is what he is paid to do, put those chances away. I don’t think there is a striker in work football that isn’t judged on their conversation rate and Jackson will be no different regardless of the role he is being asked to play by KM.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2022 8:15]

That's all hypothetical but Jackson had one chance on Saturday and hit it early but the keeper made a good save. For this season Jackson remains an asset because he works hard and is quick (see WImbledon when he stretched them down the left and played a part in our goal), I doubt he'll be here next season.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:27 - Feb 14 with 3389 viewsPhilTWTD

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 08:55 - Feb 14 by hype313

Joe, why was Penny and Pigott doing warm up drills on Saturday even though they weren't in the 18? is that standard practice?

Happens a lot with players who make the trip but don't get included in the 18.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:33 - Feb 14 with 3343 viewsChrisd

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:17 - Feb 14 by Steve_M

That's all hypothetical but Jackson had one chance on Saturday and hit it early but the keeper made a good save. For this season Jackson remains an asset because he works hard and is quick (see WImbledon when he stretched them down the left and played a part in our goal), I doubt he'll be here next season.

It’s not really because as a striker he will find himself in those situations and if he’s not you’d be wanting to know why he’s not getting himself in those positions. Bottomline, he’s in there to score goals and if he misses a few chances in important games he won’t be judged on how quick he is and how hard he has worked, that’s the long and short of it.

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:49 - Feb 14 with 3270 viewsSwansea_Blue

I've always thought there's a player in there, just not one that's going to score many goals. Which we will probably need from our main striker if we want to genuinely challenge. So I'd rather we work towards getting Bonne back in the goals, but that's obviously easier said than done. The other side of this is that I'd trust McK to know what's right for us for any given game (it's been a long time since we've been able to say that!).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:50 - Feb 14 with 3264 viewshype313

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:27 - Feb 14 by PhilTWTD

Happens a lot with players who make the trip but don't get included in the 18.

Bit of an odd one, can understand from a squad unity point of view, but having to go out and warm up in that cold weather seemed harsh!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:55 - Feb 14 with 3227 viewsGuthrum

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 08:05 - Feb 14 by unstableblue

6 goals in 6 games!

Don't entirely agree about a need for 'banging some in'. Two goals could be enough to get us the six points which are much more significant than anything else.

Adding to GD is nice, but there's no point in risking our ability to keep clean sheets (e.g. by all out attack) in a quest for bigger scores, when there's a relatively small chance* of that deciding whether we'd make the playoffs.

Sure, if we are 2 - 0 up at half time and playing freely, it's worth trying to get another one or two. But not in a tight struggle against an ultra-defensive team looking to hit us on the break.

* Has happened 4 times in the last 20 completed seasons, i.e. excluding 2020, when not all points were competed for, thus making final totals artificially closer. 2021, 2016, 2012 and 2002.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:56 - Feb 14 with 3224 viewsGuthrum

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:50 - Feb 14 by hype313

Bit of an odd one, can understand from a squad unity point of view, but having to go out and warm up in that cold weather seemed harsh!

Possibly better than sat shivering on the bench!

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024