Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday 10:52 - Feb 14 with 2019 viewsGeefunk

What do people think about dropping anderson and broad ? Its pretty major but seems to of gone under the radar, unless cricket is just under the radar?

The only possible way i understand it, is if they are a bad influence in the dressing room. I heard a very long time ago they and particularly broad were incredibly arrogant but then u would imagine most of "the best" are.

I feel it's a terrible decision, these are the absolute best bowlers ever in england and absolute total professionals. The way jimmy looks after himself and is top of his game at virtually 40 is ridiculous. This kind of skill, desire and hunger must have a place

Broadys interview saying he isnt sleeping properly and aches and it may be stress did make me laugh. Of course its stress but it means he has never suffered stress in his life if he doesn't know this. How has he never suffered stress opearting in the top level of sport for well over a decade - incredible !! I also love how he fights so hard when dropped.....this must be credit to his character even if arrogant

These 2 players are legends and i really hope they are not disgarded....

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 11:00 - Feb 14 with 1476 viewsGuthrum

Strauss' comments seemed to make it clear this was not a permanent exclusion.

My belief is the E&WCB are using this series, with a temporary Head Coach in charge, as a means of exploring future options. Anderson is 39, Broad 35. It is vital to deal with the succession issue before it becomes urgent due to injury or retirement.

I think they will have plenty of involvement during the English summer.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 11:00 - Feb 14 with 1462 viewsZx1988

I think there are arguments on both sides. I'm not sure Broad will have helped himself with his comments over the weekend, which suggests that he thinks he has a divine right to walk into the side.

There are clearly issues at the moment with the state of English cricket, and the ECB and the selectors do need to be trying to find the next generation of truly top-class cricketers who can pull English cricket out of the doldrums and get us back to competing with the top teams on an even footing. As good as they are, Jimmy and Stuart aren't going to be part of that longer-term plan, and we need to be seeing who is out there that can step up to the mark and be challenging their records in 10/15 years' time.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 11:01 - Feb 14 with 1450 viewschicoazul

I just think we need to move on from them. Yes they have been amazing and yes they still are but it feels retrograde to me to stick with them for another couple years. It may be that both of them sticking around is preventing 3 or 4 other bowlers from coming in and learning their trade.
Then again it’s not like our attack is the problem recently! But I think it’s the right call while painful in the short term.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 11:10 - Feb 14 with 1426 viewsWD19

To me it is a bit weird, albeit in keeping with the incompetence at the top of English cricket.

By all means drop or rotate one of them at a time to give younger bowlers a chance a chance in a second rate series, whilst transferring knowledge. If necessary even have a conversation with Broad & Anderson and say "Look, you are only going to play <half the games on the tour because of xyz, do you still want to go?"......

....but to totally drop both out of hand seems pointless and potentially counter productive. It smells like someone taking a modicum of revenge for something somewhere along the line.
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 11:17 - Feb 14 with 1390 viewsgordon

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 11:01 - Feb 14 by chicoazul

I just think we need to move on from them. Yes they have been amazing and yes they still are but it feels retrograde to me to stick with them for another couple years. It may be that both of them sticking around is preventing 3 or 4 other bowlers from coming in and learning their trade.
Then again it’s not like our attack is the problem recently! But I think it’s the right call while painful in the short term.

Don't really see how the 'we need to move on' rhetoric is consistent with picking Chris Woakes and Mark Wood, who are both only a couple of years younger than Stuart Broad, have worse fitness records and much worse records away from home. Albeit Mark Wood did well in Australia.
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 11:19 - Feb 14 with 1381 viewschicoazul

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 11:17 - Feb 14 by gordon

Don't really see how the 'we need to move on' rhetoric is consistent with picking Chris Woakes and Mark Wood, who are both only a couple of years younger than Stuart Broad, have worse fitness records and much worse records away from home. Albeit Mark Wood did well in Australia.

Thinking more about Jofra Robinson and Curran. I know Jofra is injured.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 11:29 - Feb 14 with 1352 viewsfranz_tyson

It’s not Jimmy’s and Broad’s fault, but no-one has really come through to usher them into retirement. Now, it’s a chance for the younger ones to be given full responsibility. How good are Jimmy and Broad abroad? They’re better in English conditions. For me, I’d like Anderson to get a chance in the summer just so say thanks and goodbye. But only if he can justify team selection. Broad might have a year or two longer.

Might seem disrespectful and unfair on them, but we can’t keep wheeling them out forever. It might just give a sniff to other bowlers to take their chance.

It’s a kind of a problem that they’ve become seemingly immovable legends and I think Strauss has dealt with that quickly and ruthlessly. It’s all on Strauss. And the door is still ajar at least for the summer.
If Jimmy/Broad had a great WI series and took a shed full of wickets - how would that feel towards English red-ball cricket 2-3 years from now? They wouldn’t be around and they might be inadvertently holding progression up.
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 11:34 - Feb 14 with 1326 viewsGeefunk

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 11:29 - Feb 14 by franz_tyson

It’s not Jimmy’s and Broad’s fault, but no-one has really come through to usher them into retirement. Now, it’s a chance for the younger ones to be given full responsibility. How good are Jimmy and Broad abroad? They’re better in English conditions. For me, I’d like Anderson to get a chance in the summer just so say thanks and goodbye. But only if he can justify team selection. Broad might have a year or two longer.

Might seem disrespectful and unfair on them, but we can’t keep wheeling them out forever. It might just give a sniff to other bowlers to take their chance.

It’s a kind of a problem that they’ve become seemingly immovable legends and I think Strauss has dealt with that quickly and ruthlessly. It’s all on Strauss. And the door is still ajar at least for the summer.
If Jimmy/Broad had a great WI series and took a shed full of wickets - how would that feel towards English red-ball cricket 2-3 years from now? They wouldn’t be around and they might be inadvertently holding progression up.

Yeah i get that but Jimmy is still our best bowler without question. And broady isnt far behind, it can only be a cultural decison i feel......

Jimmy - what a legend !!

Hope we see them again.......all the others except root and stokes are poor
Login to get fewer ads

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 12:24 - Feb 14 with 1259 viewsFtnfwest

It's obviously up to Strauss on this occasion but it looks pretty final to me. If they have limited (but lets face it still quality) time left then they should be used. With Anderson i could almost understand it as at his age at some point we need to be making room for younger players. The argument being are there any that are good enough. But by the same yardstick Broad has 4 years on Jimmy potentially and is still performing. As for his comments about being dropped, yes he has no entitlement to walk into the side, but he's got every entitlement to be unhappy about it as well. Wanting to 'play for the badge' etc seemed to be in pretty short supply elsewhere in the team during the ashes let's face it.
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 13:02 - Feb 14 with 1208 viewsBlueStreak

Play your strongest team, stuff the future for the time being and how about we win a couple of games for a change!
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 13:10 - Feb 14 with 1196 viewsbenrhyddingblue

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 13:02 - Feb 14 by BlueStreak

Play your strongest team, stuff the future for the time being and how about we win a couple of games for a change!

Totally agree. What we need after the Ashes is to try bounce back with wins no matter who we are playing. The bowling, while not on a level with the Aussies, was hardly the main problem in Australia; that was simply we couldn’t score enough runs. I thought Broad pretty well throughout and took wickets. Can understand why he is peed off.
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 13:14 - Feb 14 with 1190 viewsBlueStreak

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 13:10 - Feb 14 by benrhyddingblue

Totally agree. What we need after the Ashes is to try bounce back with wins no matter who we are playing. The bowling, while not on a level with the Aussies, was hardly the main problem in Australia; that was simply we couldn’t score enough runs. I thought Broad pretty well throughout and took wickets. Can understand why he is peed off.

Broad is 35, he potentially still has another 3 or 4 years as long as he stays fit and well. why try and get rid of him now.
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 13:16 - Feb 14 with 1180 viewsWD19

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 13:14 - Feb 14 by BlueStreak

Broad is 35, he potentially still has another 3 or 4 years as long as he stays fit and well. why try and get rid of him now.

Because you don’t like him because he was a handful that was beyond your competence to captain and his dad used to annoy you too. Maybe.
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 13:22 - Feb 14 with 1168 viewsRadlett_blue

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 11:17 - Feb 14 by gordon

Anderson hasn't a great record in Australia - bowling average 34 - but Woakes was far less effective than either Broad or Anderson in Australia. He's 32 & isn't a long term option in theory & I think he's been picked to help bolster the weak batting, especially as with Stokes only being an occasional bowler these days. On merit, you can see why Jimmy is miffed. Broad has never been quite as good as Anderson, especially overseas, but again, he did OK in Australia. This does smack a bit of Strauss wanting to appear like a new broom, as did Steve McClaren when his first act was to drop David Beckham.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 13:30 - Feb 14 with 1156 viewsChrisd

I put a thread up yesterday regarding this same topic, I really can't see the problem. Yes, I agree Anderson and Broad have been brilliant bowlers for England for such a long time, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the end of their international careers. The WI are a poor test side currently, so it seems the ideal opportunity to have a look at the younger talent coming through, what benefit would it be for Anderson and Broad to play apart from filling their boots with wickets? England need to be looking beyond these two and the only way they are going to do that is giving others their turn. Strauss appears to be prepared to make those tough decisions, which we were lacking before under the previous regime. However, I do hope Anderson and Broad are given tests in the summer if England are indeed looking to faze each of them out so we can show our appreciation to them both.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 13:32 - Feb 14 with 1149 viewsgordon

The other thing about Broad and Anderson is that at least they are both fully committed to Test Cricket, and not turning up three days before a series starts because they've bagged a handy T20 contract in India or wherever.
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 13:40 - Feb 14 with 1130 viewsgordon

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 13:30 - Feb 14 by Chrisd

I put a thread up yesterday regarding this same topic, I really can't see the problem. Yes, I agree Anderson and Broad have been brilliant bowlers for England for such a long time, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the end of their international careers. The WI are a poor test side currently, so it seems the ideal opportunity to have a look at the younger talent coming through, what benefit would it be for Anderson and Broad to play apart from filling their boots with wickets? England need to be looking beyond these two and the only way they are going to do that is giving others their turn. Strauss appears to be prepared to make those tough decisions, which we were lacking before under the previous regime. However, I do hope Anderson and Broad are given tests in the summer if England are indeed looking to faze each of them out so we can show our appreciation to them both.

The point of test cricket is that you play your best and try and win at all costs - these aren't friendly matches in preparation for something else, this is the pinnacle of the sport. The idea that If we had left Wood and Woakes behind to look at different options, that might have made a bit of sense, but taking Chris Woakes and Craig Overton instead of Broad and Anderson is utterly bizarre, from any perspective - they just aren't going to play more than a handful more tests between them for England anyway.
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 14:00 - Feb 14 with 1113 viewsChrisd

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 13:40 - Feb 14 by gordon

The point of test cricket is that you play your best and try and win at all costs - these aren't friendly matches in preparation for something else, this is the pinnacle of the sport. The idea that If we had left Wood and Woakes behind to look at different options, that might have made a bit of sense, but taking Chris Woakes and Craig Overton instead of Broad and Anderson is utterly bizarre, from any perspective - they just aren't going to play more than a handful more tests between them for England anyway.

Wood was our best bowler in the winter, why would he stay behind? Woakes I can agree with, he's far better in home conditions than abroad. The fact we are relying on a 39 and 35 year old to spearhead our attack is a huge concern and that's why the younger players need to be exposed to international cricket, especially against those weaker nations otherwise we are going to be really exposed even worse than in Australia in the winter. Can you imagine people's reaction? Why haven't we given others a go before now?! We rely too much on both of them there's no harm in easing others into the fold and having a look at what they can do. The door is very much open for both of them from what I understand.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2022 9:25]

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 14:52 - Feb 14 with 1058 viewsFtnfwest

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 13:14 - Feb 14 by BlueStreak

the fact that it's both of them together being removed suggests it's a bit 'political'. In other words strong personalities they're trying to remove. Trouble is, take those two away and there's very little personality/presence left in that squad!
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 18:38 - Feb 14 with 980 viewsstonojnr

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 14:52 - Feb 14 by Ftnfwest

the fact that it's both of them together being removed suggests it's a bit 'political'. In other words strong personalities they're trying to remove. Trouble is, take those two away and there's very little personality/presence left in that squad!

Id agree with that, as its something thats long been said about them that they have a very strong influence in the dressing room, especially over new players joining the squad who are slightly over awed by being in the same team as them, and its something the "management" (and Id include the captain in that though Root doesnt have a vote in selection anymore) I guess want to change.

though I think we'll have to wait for another tell all biography to spill the beans on it, Broad needs to watch he doesnt get too critical of the decision publically because he will simply end up in the same spot as KP did.
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 18:50 - Feb 14 with 965 viewsstonojnr

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 11:00 - Feb 14 by Guthrum

Strauss' comments seemed to make it clear this was not a permanent exclusion.

My belief is the E&WCB are using this series, with a temporary Head Coach in charge, as a means of exploring future options. Anderson is 39, Broad 35. It is vital to deal with the succession issue before it becomes urgent due to injury or retirement.

I think they will have plenty of involvement during the English summer.

Strauss is playing the administrators news management game there, he is technically only the caretaking director, so its not within his actual power to guarantee anything like that anyway,as it will be up to the new appointed director and selection panel to make that call, and if anything he has made the trickiest decision for them and taken it off the table from a new panel, who can simply endorse it and not be criticised for making daft decisions as their first decision.

because he knows even the most ardent of ECB supporting press pack would absolutely take him to the cleaners if he stated theyve basically just been forcibly retired, so he frames it as blah blah new opportunities blah blah fresh start blah blah door not closed.

and Id guess his hope is the new bowlers will do just enough to win a few games, so pesky questions about picking the "older" bowlers for a final hurrah in the summer get the "why change a winning team, no sentiment in cricket,we are planning for the future etc etc" line can be used.

personally Id have kept them in the squad for this tour, sure rotate them abit more for each match, but until such time their performances, or the performance of others make that choice for you, its senseless to leave your two best bowling options at home, and know that the bigger issue in the team is the batting.
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 11:35 - Feb 15 with 814 viewsgordon

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 14:00 - Feb 14 by Chrisd

Wood was our best bowler in the winter, why would he stay behind? Woakes I can agree with, he's far better in home conditions than abroad. The fact we are relying on a 39 and 35 year old to spearhead our attack is a huge concern and that's why the younger players need to be exposed to international cricket, especially against those weaker nations otherwise we are going to be really exposed even worse than in Australia in the winter. Can you imagine people's reaction? Why haven't we given others a go before now?! We rely too much on both of them there's no harm in easing others into the fold and having a look at what they can do. The door is very much open for both of them from what I understand.

I'd just assume that Broad would be more likely to be fit and in form for the next Ashes series than Wood, based on their past fitness records, and how old they both are.

And if I were Matt Fisher or Saqib Mahmood, It would surely be a help not a hindrance to have two of the best ever England fast bowlers on tour with them.

I'd definitely not select an attack of eg. Broad, Anderson, Wood and Woakes for these tests, but having at least one of Broad or Anderson there to play in 2 out of 3 tests, for example, really isn't going to hold the development back of any younger players.
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 12:43 - Feb 15 with 775 viewsChrisd

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 11:35 - Feb 15 by gordon

I'd just assume that Broad would be more likely to be fit and in form for the next Ashes series than Wood, based on their past fitness records, and how old they both are.

And if I were Matt Fisher or Saqib Mahmood, It would surely be a help not a hindrance to have two of the best ever England fast bowlers on tour with them.

I'd definitely not select an attack of eg. Broad, Anderson, Wood and Woakes for these tests, but having at least one of Broad or Anderson there to play in 2 out of 3 tests, for example, really isn't going to hold the development back of any younger players.

It's been quite an interesting read on social media since Broad's article went online and I certainly appreciate the angle you're coming from Gordon, there are many that are in support of your argument including Nasser Hussain, but I'd also say there are many that feel the time is right for a change, however good Anderson and Broad have been for England.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2022 12:51]

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 13:00 - Feb 15 with 746 viewsgordon

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 12:43 - Feb 15 by Chrisd

It's been quite an interesting read on social media since Broad's article went online and I certainly appreciate the angle you're coming from Gordon, there are many that are in support of your argument including Nasser Hussain, but I'd also say there are many that feel the time is right for a change, however good Anderson and Broad have been for England.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2022 12:51]

I think as well, the parsimonious way Anderson in particular has bowled over the last few years is a massive help to young players - if he ends the day with figures of 22-7-35-2, while he hasn't blown anyone away, it massively helps whoever is bowling from the other end because the pressure he builds makes it far easier to take wickets from the other end.
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 13:06 - Feb 15 with 739 viewsmylittletown

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 14:00 - Feb 14 by Chrisd

Woakes has a better Test record in England than either Anderson or Broad, and given that he is a genuine all-rounder, he would be your first pick for the English summer.
The fact that he has been selected for the WI tour leads me to believe that Anderson and Broad are finished, or at least no longer seen as front line, unless we have injuries.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024