Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 03:09 - Feb 16 with 1615 viewsITFC_History

Great to see Bobby Robson in the studio as well as a quick interview with Kevin Beattie at half time. Never seen the highlights to this game so thought I put it up for those who were at the game like myself.

Even though we lost hopefully someone spots themselves from 24 years ago when a reporter asked some Ipswich fans for their thoughts.

[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 3:10]
Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 03:39 - Feb 16 with 1561 viewsburnbudgiesburn

That charlton youtube channel has been uploading some real gold recently.

1982/3 FA Cup 3-2 at Charlton, in full filmed by someone in the stand
1986/7 play offs 1-2 at Charlton in full, Coopers last match
Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 07:53 - Feb 16 with 1419 viewsLesta_Tractor

That away kit and win against nodge, twtd.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 08:42 - Feb 16 with 1365 viewsITFC_Forever

The noise in the build up to kick-off in the home leg was increadible, Rob C did a fantastic job of whipping the crowd up, not that they needed much encouragment.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 09:12 - Feb 16 with 1318 viewsAsa

Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 08:42 - Feb 16 by ITFC_Forever

The noise in the build up to kick-off in the home leg was increadible, Rob C did a fantastic job of whipping the crowd up, not that they needed much encouragment.

I remembered very little about that game. The one thing that stuck in my mind was hearing Carnival de Paris at half time for the first time.

It was the loudest I'd ever heard the PA and remember thinking how the ground would have been bouncing if we were ahead as the Charlton fans quickly joined in with the tune.

I remember loads about the second leg though unfortunately. First time at The Valley and have seen us lose there on every trip I've made since. The ones I didn't go to recently were the 3-0 win and Sir Noel Hunt Day. Typical!
Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 09:28 - Feb 16 with 1281 viewsChurchman

Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 09:12 - Feb 16 by Asa

I remembered very little about that game. The one thing that stuck in my mind was hearing Carnival de Paris at half time for the first time.

It was the loudest I'd ever heard the PA and remember thinking how the ground would have been bouncing if we were ahead as the Charlton fans quickly joined in with the tune.

I remember loads about the second leg though unfortunately. First time at The Valley and have seen us lose there on every trip I've made since. The ones I didn't go to recently were the 3-0 win and Sir Noel Hunt Day. Typical!

I’ve seen us win and lose there over the years. The first game I saw was the 3-2 cup game. Allan Simonsen played for them but we got over the line with a late goal from Wark, if memory serves me right.

The most depressing was the 3-2 relegation season freezing cold game. We should have won that and would have done had the Ref sent their player off for assault. It was even worse than the Selhurst Park 2-1 play off game. We were truly awful that day. A bloke looking like squirrel Nutkin called Jim Melrose embarrassed us. Sick to my boots that day.

Good days: 2000 last game of the season, Noel Hunt day, the game the season after and Marshall volleying one in about 1997, again around December time.

I didn’t go to this seasons debacle, thank goodness.
Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 09:36 - Feb 16 with 1257 viewsRadlett_blue

The 0-1 home semi final defeat was one of my most painful experiences at PR. Town had been in amazing form & we were super-confident. However, Charlton & Curbishley came with a plan, which they executed perfectly. It involved kicking Town, & especially Bobby Petta - who clearly didn't fancy it - off the park. Town eventually recovered from conceding an unfortunate own goal & began to get into their stride & then Charlton's Plan B kicked in - using every cynical, time wasting tactic known to man, so we never got enough momentum. Horrible to watch, but if you were a Charlton fan, you'd say it was a highly professional performance. Interesting that Charlton played very differently in the magnificent final against Sunderland.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 09:50 - Feb 16 with 1194 viewsTrequartista

Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 09:28 - Feb 16 by Churchman

I’ve seen us win and lose there over the years. The first game I saw was the 3-2 cup game. Allan Simonsen played for them but we got over the line with a late goal from Wark, if memory serves me right.

The most depressing was the 3-2 relegation season freezing cold game. We should have won that and would have done had the Ref sent their player off for assault. It was even worse than the Selhurst Park 2-1 play off game. We were truly awful that day. A bloke looking like squirrel Nutkin called Jim Melrose embarrassed us. Sick to my boots that day.

Good days: 2000 last game of the season, Noel Hunt day, the game the season after and Marshall volleying one in about 1997, again around December time.

86/87 at Selhurst: Melrose lunges in 2-footed on McCall then stamps on him. 2 red cards nowadays, nothing given back then. A few minutes later he’s scored 2 goals

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 09:56 - Feb 16 with 1168 viewswitchdoctor

yep..that’s me just after the 29 min mark..voodootastic..😂😂
Login to get fewer ads

Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 14:47 - Feb 16 with 1031 viewsMattinLondon

Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 08:42 - Feb 16 by ITFC_Forever

Definitely one of the most hostile and partisan atmospheres I’ve been in at PR. If we had scored then it would have been even better.
Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 15:17 - Feb 16 with 990 viewsITFC_History

Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 09:28 - Feb 16 by Churchman

Memory serves you well for the Wark goal. Took it mightily well I must say.

Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 15:32 - Feb 16 with 961 viewsITFC_History

Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 09:12 - Feb 16 by Asa

Like yourself cannot remember much about the first leg. I remember it being hot, David Sheepshanks in the North Stand before the game shacking hands with the home fans & a cracking save by Saša Ilić from a Jamie Clapham shot.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 15:38]
Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 15:35 - Feb 16 with 947 viewsChurchman

Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 15:17 - Feb 16 by ITFC_History

Memory serves you well for the Wark goal. Took it mightily well I must say.

Didn’t he just. Didn’t mess about with the penalty either. Thanks for posting that. I’ve not seen it before and remember none of it other than remembering the winner went in at our end.

The Valley was a barn of a ground in those days with that big old open terrace. I guess only the away stand remains of it.
Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 15:45 - Feb 16 with 915 viewsRadlett_blue

Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 15:35 - Feb 16 by Churchman

Didn’t he just. Didn’t mess about with the penalty either. Thanks for posting that. I’ve not seen it before and remember none of it other than remembering the winner went in at our end.

The Valley was a barn of a ground in those days with that big old open terrace. I guess only the away stand remains of it.

Indeed, the Jimmy Seed Stand was built in the early 1980s. My father, who was born in Woolwich, was a member of Charlton's record crowd of 75,031 in 1938.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 21:03]

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Full game of our first leg against Charlton at Home in the play offs from 97/98 on 17:33 - Feb 16 with 832 viewsLord_Lucan

I've always found this game weird as I went to both legs but the home game seems, in my mind, to be 15 years earlier than the away leg.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024