Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town v Spurs December 1969 08:14 - Feb 19 with 1281 viewsThe_Major

Mention of the 62 Charity Shield match elsewhere reminded me of this, again versus Spurs at Portman Road, but with an even more bizarre camera angle. It's in the North West corner for some reason. Which is fine when there are corners etc at Churchmans, but for everything else, especially when the play is at the North Stand end, it looks very peculiar on TV. Its the third game on here so you'll have to spin forward towards the end. Contains probably only surviving film record of a goal by Charlie Woods.

Wonder why this was? In 62 footage it's the traditional camera level with the half way line. The only other late sixties footage I think I've ever seen is the McGarry 68 D2 Championship team v Birmingham, and that was in the usual spot as well (albeit obviously lower than today). But this odd.

As an aside, I've heard it said that the TV companies in later years loved to come to Portman Road, as it was near enough one of the only top flight grounds that enabled them to get that overhead behind the goal shot, as they would use a camera on a crane parked behind Churchmans. Most other grounds either had stands that were too tall, or were too hemmed in by streets.
Town v Spurs December 1969 on 09:15 - Feb 19 with 1206 viewswoodbridge_blue

Never seen this footage before, can't have been too many games with a strike force of Mick Hill and Ron Wigg?
Town v Spurs December 1969 on 09:23 - Feb 19 with 1188 viewsPJH

Cameras were in between Norty Stand and West Stand in the 1960's.
I remember John Camkin who was Coventry City director (maybe chairman) and also ITV commentator being up there the last game of 1966/67 for a 1-1 draw.

They were already assured of promotion before that day but he seemed to be looking down on everyone as we left the ground and, if not gloating, looking very pleased with himself.
Town v Spurs December 1969 on 09:32 - Feb 19 with 1164 viewsbluefunk

Town v Spurs December 1969 on 09:23 - Feb 19 by PJH

Cameras were in between Norty Stand and West Stand in the 1960's.
I remember John Camkin who was Coventry City director (maybe chairman) and also ITV commentator being up there the last game of 1966/67 for a 1-1 draw.

They were already assured of promotion before that day but he seemed to be looking down on everyone as we left the ground and, if not gloating, looking very pleased with himself.

I seem to remember that Anglia's Sunday coverage had a couple of grounds where they filmed from one end for a couple of seasons, as well as us - Hull City I think (for some reason they were covered by Anglia) were one of them
Town v Spurs December 1969 on 09:37 - Feb 19 with 1148 viewsBeckets

Town v Spurs December 1969 on 09:32 - Feb 19 by bluefunk

I seem to remember that Anglia's Sunday coverage had a couple of grounds where they filmed from one end for a couple of seasons, as well as us - Hull City I think (for some reason they were covered by Anglia) were one of them

Hull were on pretty regularly back in the days of Wagstaff and Chilton.
Town v Spurs December 1969 on 09:51 - Feb 19 with 1099 viewsbluefunk

Town v Spurs December 1969 on 09:37 - Feb 19 by Beckets

Hull were on pretty regularly back in the days of Wagstaff and Chilton.

I remember them at PR in an epic 5-4 Town win
Town v Spurs December 1969 on 10:19 - Feb 19 with 1065 viewsThe_Major

Town v Spurs December 1969 on 09:32 - Feb 19 by bluefunk

The Anglia region actually used to go as far north as Hull until 1974, believe it or not. Basically what happened is that Yorkshire got into a spat with Tyne Tees over who should have a transmitter in County Durham. The IBA solved the spat by giving the transmitter to Tyne Tees, and then allocating the Belmont transmitter in Lincolnshire to Yorkshire.

This meant Anglia, who were just sitting innocently on the sidelines lost a huge chunk of their area to Yorkshire. It's also why if you're in Kings Lynn, Hunstanton, or anywhere on that Norfolk coast West of Sheringham, your local TV bizarrely comes from Leeds instead of Norwich.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2022 10:21]
Town v Spurs December 1969 on 10:50 - Feb 19 with 1013 viewsBluespeed225

Town v Spurs December 1969 on 10:19 - Feb 19 by The_Major

The Anglia region actually used to go as far north as Hull until 1974, believe it or not. Basically what happened is that Yorkshire got into a spat with Tyne Tees over who should have a transmitter in County Durham. The IBA solved the spat by giving the transmitter to Tyne Tees, and then allocating the Belmont transmitter in Lincolnshire to Yorkshire.

This meant Anglia, who were just sitting innocently on the sidelines lost a huge chunk of their area to Yorkshire. It's also why if you're in Kings Lynn, Hunstanton, or anywhere on that Norfolk coast West of Sheringham, your local TV bizarrely comes from Leeds instead of Norwich.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2022 10:21]

It does! We go to Siffkey near wells every year, switch on the news ready for Becky to update me on the days events round here, got a story about traffic congestion in Cleethorpes.
Town v Spurs December 1969 on 12:20 - Feb 19 with 934 viewsPhilTWTD

Town v Spurs December 1969 on 10:50 - Feb 19 by Bluespeed225

It does! We go to Siffkey near wells every year, switch on the news ready for Becky to update me on the days events round here, got a story about traffic congestion in Cleethorpes.

I reckon you can probably get both, least you used to be able to. When I worked for Anglia 20 years ago Anglia covered as far as South Lincolnshire with some overlap with other regions. Some areas could get three regions, parts of South Essex if I remember rightly.
Login to get fewer ads

Town v Spurs December 1969 on 12:24 - Feb 19 with 912 viewsbluefunk

Town v Spurs December 1969 on 12:20 - Feb 19 by PhilTWTD

I reckon you can probably get both, least you used to be able to. When I worked for Anglia 20 years ago Anglia covered as far as South Lincolnshire with some overlap with other regions. Some areas could get three regions, parts of South Essex if I remember rightly.

Yep that true, when I first moved to Chelmsford we could get Anglia, London or Kent versions of ITV
Town v Spurs December 1969 on 13:10 - Feb 19 with 847 viewsrolph61

I have updated the Spurs forward Roy Wollcott’s Wikipedia page as it was his one and only league appearance for Spurs and the page initially said that Spurs and not Ipswich had won the game 2-0
Town v Spurs December 1969 on 13:47 - Feb 19 with 812 viewsThe_Major

Town v Spurs December 1969 on 12:20 - Feb 19 by PhilTWTD

Plus these days, some of the regions have merged, so you get the ludicrous situation of being in say, Penzance, but getting your local news from Bristol. This is equivalent to Ipswich getting their local news from Sheffield.

That's why BBC Suffolk is so important now, and Radio Orwell was in the past, especially in situations like yesterday. I don't even know where the Suffolk version of Heart is broadcast from these days - it's certainly not Electric House, in fact I think its Milton Keynes - but they're not going to warn you of a fallen tree blocking Nacton Road, are they?
Town v Spurs December 1969 on 14:22 - Feb 19 with 785 viewsTrequartista

The camera returns to its normal position for the visit of Liverpool in the following season, so i would think it was a one-off for whatever reason.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024