Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lots of little digs at Cook but 09:35 - Feb 20 with 11983 viewsChrisd

the clearance of the squad was very much needed and he certainly brought in players that had the potential to improve us, which KM is getting out of them now. PC might not have gone about it in the right way, but that squad needed clearing out and freshening up that was something that PC did get right.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2022 9:37]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 09:43 - Feb 20 with 5161 viewsjayessess

Isn't the reverse coming to light? The more we get into this season, the more obvious it is that we had the makings of a decent first team already in the building.

Woolfenden, Wilson, McGuinness, KVY, Dozzell, Downes, Edwards, Parrott, Jackson, Norwood. That's 10 outfield players currently in our squad or playing for teams higher in the football league.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 09:46 - Feb 20 with 5124 viewsFixed_It

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 09:43 - Feb 20 by jayessess

Isn't the reverse coming to light? The more we get into this season, the more obvious it is that we had the makings of a decent first team already in the building.

Woolfenden, Wilson, McGuinness, KVY, Dozzell, Downes, Edwards, Parrott, Jackson, Norwood. That's 10 outfield players currently in our squad or playing for teams higher in the football league.

In many cases no-one was questioning whether they were good players. But as a group they weren't functioning and change was needed.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 09:50 - Feb 20 with 5073 viewsBasuco

How can you say that? The squad that was bombed out achieved more than the new squad brought in, under PC. So how do you know that KM could not have improved what we had? That is pure speculation and cannot ever be proved, which team would perform better under KM is an interesting thought. The improvement of the current squad is outstanding and shows how poor PC and his coaching team were, tactically and motivationally. PC is very obviously struggling without the tactical knowledge and coaching ability of Leam Richardson, who is currently showing where the real brains of the partnership were.
Lots of little digs at Cook but on 09:52 - Feb 20 with 5059 viewsMullet

No it wasn't. If anything everything is vindicating the idea that "Demolition Man" was hubris and an act of ego of a man who couldn't manage effectively.

Let us not forget that when it suited these were "Ashton signings" for some of Cook's biggest supporters. It's clear Gamechanger brings excellent backing, but a lot of that was squandered through poor decisions and conflict in the club outside of the playing staff.

Many of the players flourishing were frozen out by Cook. This is not to say the bloke was some sort of malevolent force, but he was incompetent and wasteful with the opportunity here because he simply refused to evolve or work outside of his terms.

Revising that now is foolish.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 09:53 - Feb 20 with 5050 viewsgtsb1966

I'm still of the belief that Cook isn't a good coach. He has had the right people beside him throughout his managerial career. He came here and built a substandard coaching team. That was his downfall. A proper football coach comes in , works with the same group of players, totally different team. Nothing personal against Cook and I wish him well.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2022 9:53]
Lots of little digs at Cook but on 09:58 - Feb 20 with 4989 viewsChurchman

Yes, there did need to be a lot of change and some good players have been brought in. I never had a problem with what Cook was trying to do, especially after the last few seasons and what appeared to be the acceptance of mediocrity in the club. It had to be done.

It was the crude and wasteful way Cook went about it that raised my eyebrows. I get his frustrations with the players, but the bomb squad stuff was nonsense. I don’t think it was necessary to go so public or to replace the team in one transfer window either. With no pre-season it was little surprise we started so poorly.

By contrast, I notice how economical KM is with words and how he hasn’t prejudged anybody. That comes across in Jackson’s interview.
Lots of little digs at Cook but on 10:02 - Feb 20 with 4953 viewsPhuketPete

generally true although I think the clear out was "over-cooked". That said I'd give him an A for recruitment. But D/E for team management, player motivation, team strategy, team tactics, team selection, use of substitutes, under-estimating and losing good players and especially his choice of unproven sidekicks and coaches.

I also grant that PC was a decent bloke and I wish him well. He tried hard for us but thank goodness to Owners and Mark A for making the tough call just early enough to save the season, Touch Wood
Lots of little digs at Cook but on 10:04 - Feb 20 with 4936 viewsBasuco

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 09:46 - Feb 20 by Fixed_It

In many cases no-one was questioning whether they were good players. But as a group they weren't functioning and change was needed.

Unfortunately the change that was needed was Paul Lambert to Kieran McKenna, that team was sitting 2 points from the playoffs and KcK may have got us promoted, rather than dramatically fall away and continue that fall into the new season.
Login to get fewer ads

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 10:05 - Feb 20 with 4925 viewstractorboy1978

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 09:50 - Feb 20 by Basuco

How can you say that? The squad that was bombed out achieved more than the new squad brought in, under PC. So how do you know that KM could not have improved what we had? That is pure speculation and cannot ever be proved, which team would perform better under KM is an interesting thought. The improvement of the current squad is outstanding and shows how poor PC and his coaching team were, tactically and motivationally. PC is very obviously struggling without the tactical knowledge and coaching ability of Leam Richardson, who is currently showing where the real brains of the partnership were.

Whether we needed such a massive overhaul or not, I think it is absolutely indisputable our current squad is better than the one we had this time last season.

McKenna has been brilliant in every regard since coming in but the form we've shown over his 10 games is what we should have been seeing from the off this season given the ability within the squad.
Lots of little digs at Cook but on 10:18 - Feb 20 with 4810 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Regarding those players
Would only want Wolf, Downes(although prefer Morsey) Jackson and possibly KVY so we still have all but one and we have a great replacement for that one already.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 10:34 - Feb 20 with 4752 viewsWD19

That’s a bit one eyed.

Downes was never going to stay, and if we hadn’t had Cook we wouldn’t have got Morsy…….and Walton for that matter.

If we had kept Edwards we likely wouldn’t have Burns and Burns is going to win POTS.

I liked Wilson, but I like Edmundson more……etc etc.

The change was very much needed. Yes it was a bit frenetic because Cook had his brain scrambled by the takeover, but it had to happen if we were to move forward. The malaise in the club had permeated every player.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2022 10:35]
Lots of little digs at Cook but on 10:51 - Feb 20 with 4664 viewsjayessess

Getting good players to function as a group is what a manager is for, isn't it? If the job was just assembling a group of good players, any idiot with a bit of football manager experience could do it!

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:01 - Feb 20 with 4627 viewsjayessess

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 10:18 - Feb 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

Regarding those players
Would only want Wolf, Downes(although prefer Morsey) Jackson and possibly KVY so we still have all but one and we have a great replacement for that one already.

My point here is less about the Summer turnover (which by the time we got to about April was inevitable, given how Cook behaved) and more about the general way Cook handled March to May 2021.

He acted like he had a team of pub players, but it's becoming clearer and clearer that wasn't the case.

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:09 - Feb 20 with 4579 viewsFixed_It

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 10:51 - Feb 20 by jayessess

Getting good players to function as a group is what a manager is for, isn't it? If the job was just assembling a group of good players, any idiot with a bit of football manager experience could do it!

They had a losing mentality. It wasn't so much a good coach they needed, but a good psychiatrist!
The team needed breaking up - we needed a fresh start. The malaise had permeated too far.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:09 - Feb 20 with 4577 viewsWickets

My problem with PC is simply that he seemed too pig headed for his own good as it was as clear as day that he needed a decent assistant manager and coaching team .
Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:14 - Feb 20 with 4526 viewsSteve_M

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:09 - Feb 20 by Fixed_It

They had a losing mentality. It wasn't so much a good coach they needed, but a good psychiatrist!
The team needed breaking up - we needed a fresh start. The malaise had permeated too far.

Odd how by about November Cook was complaining about players not being good enough again don’t you think?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:16 - Feb 20 with 4500 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

With the backing of Gamechanger, ANY manager we appointed would have strengthened the squad. Quite possibly most would have done it in a more managed way.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:20 - Feb 20 with 4475 viewsLeaky

Of those you've listed Parrott & McGuiness were on loan. Downs wanted out probably Dozzell the same. Wilson would have been worth keeping though.
Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:23 - Feb 20 with 4448 viewsbracknell_blue

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 09:53 - Feb 20 by gtsb1966

I'm still of the belief that Cook isn't a good coach. He has had the right people beside him throughout his managerial career. He came here and built a substandard coaching team. That was his downfall. A proper football coach comes in , works with the same group of players, totally different team. Nothing personal against Cook and I wish him well.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2022 9:53]

I think that Cook is not that good a coach. His reputation was made with Richardson as his assistant. Without him, he is nowhere near as good, rather like Lamber without Culverhouse. It is not about 1 man, but the whole coaching/managing package. Hopefully this lesson has now been learned.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:24 - Feb 20 with 4422 viewsGlasgowBlue

But the current team that has win 7 out of 10 wasn’t functioning either. Cook is the constant in that.

2 points off the play off with plenty of games to play when Cook came in, and we went backwards.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:25 - Feb 20 with 4415 viewsWakh

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:09 - Feb 20 by Fixed_It

I agree, but. Ultimately he came in and made us even worse, something he seems to be replicating at Chesterfield.

Nothing against him but he made us worse, bought a new team that he no idea how to get the best out of. It was bizarre and embarrassed us and that alone, along with the way he openly dissed the players didn't sit well with me.
Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:26 - Feb 20 with 4412 viewsLankHenners

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:14 - Feb 20 by Steve_M

Odd how by about November Cook was complaining about players not being good enough again don’t you think?

That was the moment for me it seemed his days were numbered. He'd been given everything he wanted in terms of the playing squad but then claimed that the personnel were the problem, particularly in terms of conceding goals.

It was a nonsense claim at the time and looks even more daft now McKenna's achieved what he has with the defence, especially bringing in a player Cook didn't want who has been very very solid in the centre of the back 3.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:30 - Feb 20 with 4367 viewsWakh

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:20 - Feb 20 by Leaky

Of those you've listed Parrott & McGuiness were on loan. Downs wanted out probably Dozzell the same. Wilson would have been worth keeping though.

Whether they were on loan or not Cook got far less out of them than their current managers are.
Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:31 - Feb 20 with 4367 viewspointofblue

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:30 - Feb 20 by Wakh

Whether they were on loan or not Cook got far less out of them than their current managers are.

Cook got less out of them than even Lambert managed.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:33 - Feb 20 with 4356 viewsWakh

Lots of little digs at Cook but on 11:31 - Feb 20 by pointofblue

Cook got less out of them than even Lambert managed.

Absolutely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024