Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Carefully crafted round pegs into lovingly prepared round holes 12:51 - Feb 21 with 942 viewsCoastalblue

Maybe it happens at all clubs and I'm just not very aware of it, but we seem to have had a habit here, stretching back as far as Baltacha in my experience, of signing a decent player and then not playing them to their strengths.

Hammering a square peg into a round hole and then wondering why they don't seem to perform how they did elsewhere seems to be a bit of an Ipswich trait.

I wonder if we're seeing the end of this, at least for a time? Seeing Jackson being asked to do things he's good at has clearly benefitted him and us, rather than asking a percieved better player to do something less natural because, well he's the better player and you always play your best players.

Even Cook, who knew how he wanted to play and had the opportunity to sign players to slot into that formation still seemed to be buying guys for their perceived quality rather than how they would fill a role in the team.

I really hope McK will be able to look and identify people to fit what he wants at the end of the season and progress the team that way. I get the feeling he may well do that.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Carefully crafted round pegs into lovingly prepared round holes on 13:01 - Feb 21 with 861 viewsBlueBadger

Re: your final paragraph, didn't you mean to write 'Ashton' instead?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Carefully crafted round pegs into lovingly prepared round holes on 13:03 - Feb 21 with 852 viewsCoastalblue

Carefully crafted round pegs into lovingly prepared round holes on 13:01 - Feb 21 by BlueBadger

Re: your final paragraph, didn't you mean to write 'Ashton' instead?

That did cross my mind, but I though it would set off a BCFC bot alert.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Carefully crafted round pegs into lovingly prepared round holes on 13:05 - Feb 21 with 829 viewsBlueBadger

Carefully crafted round pegs into lovingly prepared round holes on 13:03 - Feb 21 by Coastalblue

All gone quiet on that front, hasn't it?
I'm not expecting them to surface again until we're mathematically out of the chase for a playoff spot.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Carefully crafted round pegs into lovingly prepared round holes on 13:07 - Feb 21 with 819 viewsGuthrum

Part of the craft of fine woodworking is to look at things like the grain of a bit of timber, which determines not only what it is like now, but how well and easily it could be shaped into something else.

It's not just a matter of seeing who already fits a particular role, but also identifying whether they might be developed to do something different. I do mean developed, not just told to go, play there and get on with it.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Carefully crafted round pegs into lovingly prepared round holes on 13:16 - Feb 21 with 755 viewshomer_123

Carefully crafted round pegs into lovingly prepared round holes on 13:07 - Feb 21 by Guthrum

Part of the craft of fine woodworking is to look at things like the grain of a bit of timber, which determines not only what it is like now, but how well and easily it could be shaped into something else.

It's not just a matter of seeing who already fits a particular role, but also identifying whether they might be developed to do something different. I do mean developed, not just told to go, play there and get on with it.

You mean 'coached'?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Carefully crafted round pegs into lovingly prepared round holes on 14:00 - Feb 21 with 648 viewsHighgateBlue

Yes, I agree with all of this. Cook also had a very rigid number of square and round holes. McKenna seems able to decide which shaped holes he's going to need for each game, and select the appropriate pegs for the job!

He's flexible, thoughtful, and seemingly can coach too. Correct strategy for each game, implemented. Not: the strategy I always deploy, and then bodge it with what's available.
Carefully crafted round pegs into lovingly prepared round holes on 14:15 - Feb 21 with 593 viewsChurchman

Carefully crafted round pegs into lovingly prepared round holes on 13:03 - Feb 21 by Coastalblue

Spare us the BCFC bot alert!

I’ve never understood the round pegs in square holes thing. All managers do it and it drives me nuts. Getting somebody to ‘do a job’ in the odd game because of say injuries is one thing. Setting a team up that way is another.

Freddie Sears on the wing is one that used to particularly annoy me. Freddie was a decent little player, but he was no winger and it did us and his career no good.
Carefully crafted round pegs into lovingly prepared round holes on 15:01 - Feb 21 with 488 viewsFreddies_Ears

Carefully crafted round pegs into lovingly prepared round holes on 13:16 - Feb 21 by homer_123

You mean 'coached'?

It surprises me how few managers seem to be able to improve players - I mean, if I practice something long enough, I tend to get better at it. Yet, McK has certainly achieved that already - there have been clear signs of several players doing something a bit different, and how that gives them confidence when it works (note how several players, incl CB and CM now have a habit of turning when receiving the ball with back to goal, to make room and time for the next decision or pass). In Jackson's case, McK seemed surprised that he can cross with either foot (tbf, McK is hardly alone in that), and quickly sought to make use of that by combining it with his pace.
Login to get fewer ads

Carefully crafted round pegs into lovingly prepared round holes on 15:06 - Feb 21 with 468 viewsNthQldITFC

Carefully crafted round pegs into lovingly prepared round holes on 13:07 - Feb 21 by Guthrum

It is also very much like making love to a beautiful woman - although the woodworking is much easier to get into for the older gent, and there ought to be considerably fewer scratches and bruises involved.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024