Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC's right-hand side right now! 21:07 - Feb 21 with 1546 viewsTresBonne

Think it's really interesting. Burns does track back, but is essentially playing as a right midfielder, with JD almost playing as a CB and a RB at the same time.

JD then also converts to an overlapping fullback in attack, but never seems to be caught out of position on the counter.

It's a massive credit to him, really. JD x WB down the right is immense. Don't think we've had such a good partnership since Murphy x Sears.
ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 21:23 - Feb 21 with 1459 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Different in terms of system and style but I remember Jermaine Wright would sometimes play as a slightly inset right midfielder so Fabian Willis could bomb forward from right back
ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 21:27 - Feb 21 with 1439 viewsDinDjarin

At times Saturday we were playing with Thompson and KJ left wing and just Burns right wing. Then KJ would pop up on the right so I guess he was told to switch and keep their defenders guessing.
ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 21:48 - Feb 21 with 1341 viewsslaughteredskipper

I love the partnership Burns and Donacien have both on a footballing front but also a lot of love there too! Loved their celebration after Burns scored on saturday!
[Post edited 21 Feb 2022 21:49]
ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 21:51 - Feb 21 with 1328 viewsBiGDonnie

I've just had a flashback to our years without a right back. I'm certain we didn't have a proper right back for about 3 seasons?

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 22:07 - Feb 21 with 1269 viewsmarchy

ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 21:51 - Feb 21 by BiGDonnie

I've just had a flashback to our years without a right back. I'm certain we didn't have a proper right back for about 3 seasons?

A lot longer than that I think! I seem to remember Mick coming in and immediately realising Carlos Edwards was no RB, saying we wouldn't see him there again, then parking Chambers out there for years...
ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 22:19 - Feb 21 with 1233 viewsBiGDonnie

ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 22:07 - Feb 21 by marchy

A lot longer than that I think! I seem to remember Mick coming in and immediately realising Carlos Edwards was no RB, saying we wouldn't see him there again, then parking Chambers out there for years...

Sounds about right. TBF both Chambo and Edwards had some stormers at right back over the years but it was a such an obvious weakness of ours for so long. None of that bs under KM.

COYBs

ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 22:51 - Feb 21 with 1143 viewsFrimleyBlue

ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 21:51 - Feb 21 by BiGDonnie

Didn't Skuse get a go at RB for a game to two at some point too?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 23:46 - Feb 21 with 1066 viewsBiGDonnie

ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 22:51 - Feb 21 by FrimleyBlue

Proper bad times!

COYBs

Login to get fewer ads

ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 00:17 - Feb 22 with 1034 viewsTresBonne

ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 22:51 - Feb 21 by FrimleyBlue

Don't forget that Kevin Foley fella too...
ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 02:10 - Feb 22 with 983 viewsBigCommon

ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 21:27 - Feb 21 by DinDjarin

At times Saturday we were playing with Thompson and KJ left wing and just Burns right wing. Then KJ would pop up on the right so I guess he was told to switch and keep their defenders guessing.

Perhaps to help alternate the sides from which we attacked, too.. Thereby giving Burns a little breather... I think there has been some clever using/sharing of energy throughout the team, since KM arrival.. We look fitter for longer. Are coming on stronger in the last quarter. And, as yet, are suffering very few injuries.(I hope I haven't jinxed that one)...
ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 03:41 - Feb 22 with 943 viewsIPS_wich

ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 02:10 - Feb 22 by BigCommon

Perhaps to help alternate the sides from which we attacked, too.. Thereby giving Burns a little breather... I think there has been some clever using/sharing of energy throughout the team, since KM arrival.. We look fitter for longer. Are coming on stronger in the last quarter. And, as yet, are suffering very few injuries.(I hope I haven't jinxed that one)...

There's been some criticism of Thompson based on the fact he's not offering us what Burns does down the right.

I think it's a bit unfair because: (a) Burns is clearly one of the best players in the whole league, so is hard to emulate; (b) Edmundson doesn't give Thompson the same sort of cover/support that JD can give to Burns.

We saw the issues Penney causes defensively by being more attack minded - so I'm pretty happy to trade off a lack of threat down the left for greater defensive solidity - especially if we have a forward like Jackson who uses the space behind the opposition full backs well.
ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 06:46 - Feb 22 with 860 viewsGlasgowBlue

Yes. Although we set up as three at the back, they often operate as a flat back 4. Thompson is a more traditional left neck who occasionally makes forward runs and Edmunson rarely wanders from the centre.

Janoi does two jobs as you say. He’s a right sided centre back in a three, and he’s also a marauding right back attacking down the wing.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

ITFC's right-hand side right now! on 08:22 - Feb 22 with 740 viewsSheffordBlue

I think Woolfenden's resurgence helps to allow this to happen. His ability to read the game can snuff out opposition attacks when JD has ended up out of position. If JD wasn't confident in people covering behind him he wouldn't be able to support Burns as much

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024