Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Conscription 09:28 - Feb 22 with 4285 viewsSimonds92

Is that something that could genuinely happen? Lots of stuff on social media a bit tongue in cheek but could they ever enforce something like that in modern day? Officially we don't have it but they could bring it back.
Conscription on 09:30 - Feb 22 with 3329 viewsWD19

Hypothetically, how else would we raise an army if we need one? Not sure Deliveroo could help with that one. I suspect we might discover quite a few 'conscientious objectors' in our midst.
Conscription on 09:33 - Feb 22 with 3305 viewsnodge_blue

Lots of stuff on social media - nothing new there!

Highly, highly unlikely. We won't directly ever fight Russia imo.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Conscription on 10:03 - Feb 22 with 3221 viewsGuthrum

The Army wouldn't want it. Tens of thousands of recruits - many of whom do not really want to be there - to house, train, feed and look after. None of them having had the time to thoroughly learn the technical specialities which are so important in modern warfare. More of an encumbrance than a help.

It might have been about the big battalions in Napoleon's time, but it's not any more.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Conscription on 10:09 - Feb 22 with 3183 viewsBloomBlue

No need that's why we have nuclear weapons, short sharp shock that will stop them
Conscription on 10:11 - Feb 22 with 3169 viewsbelgablue

If needs must etc... A few European Countries still have compulsory military service

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Conscription on 10:16 - Feb 22 with 3139 viewsChurchman

Conscription on 10:03 - Feb 22 by Guthrum

The Army wouldn't want it. Tens of thousands of recruits - many of whom do not really want to be there - to house, train, feed and look after. None of them having had the time to thoroughly learn the technical specialities which are so important in modern warfare. More of an encumbrance than a help.

It might have been about the big battalions in Napoleon's time, but it's not any more.

Agreed. It’ll never happen here. It takes far too long to train conscripts to be of any use anyway. In WW1 it was volunteers until 1916 when they had to introduce conscription. Prior to that, the nearest to conscription was the Press Gang for the navy in Napoleonic times. Even with that, if you were sober and warned, you could leg it.
Conscription on 10:17 - Feb 22 with 3136 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

No.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Conscription on 10:19 - Feb 22 with 3106 viewsghostofescobar

No. The slaughter of humans on a huge scale is no longer accepted. No one really knew the horrors of war in previous large scale operations. Wars are now about hardware, not humans. The reason weapons have developed at such a pace in recent decades is to continually reduce the need for human intervention at the sharp end.

GhostOfEscobar

Login to get fewer ads

Conscription on 10:28 - Feb 22 with 3052 viewsblueasfook

Conscription on 10:19 - Feb 22 by ghostofescobar

No. The slaughter of humans on a huge scale is no longer accepted. No one really knew the horrors of war in previous large scale operations. Wars are now about hardware, not humans. The reason weapons have developed at such a pace in recent decades is to continually reduce the need for human intervention at the sharp end.

Eh? The next world war will see the slaughter of humans on a scale never seen before.

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Conscription on 10:38 - Feb 22 with 2984 viewsjeera

Conscription on 09:30 - Feb 22 by WD19

Hypothetically, how else would we raise an army if we need one? Not sure Deliveroo could help with that one. I suspect we might discover quite a few 'conscientious objectors' in our midst.

Equipment:

Rifle
Rations
I phone
Selfie stick

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Conscription on 10:40 - Feb 22 with 2966 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Yes, but only for people who believe/spout nonsense on social media. Those guys can go OTT first, then we'll work out what to do next depending on how successful that was.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Conscription on 10:41 - Feb 22 with 2957 viewsghostofescobar

Conscription on 10:28 - Feb 22 by blueasfook

Eh? The next world war will see the slaughter of humans on a scale never seen before.

To clarify, I am talking about the slaughter of conscripted soldiers.

GhostOfEscobar

Conscription on 10:42 - Feb 22 with 2948 viewsbournemouthblue

I imagine it would be done in a pretty light way through national service?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Conscription on 10:44 - Feb 22 with 2937 viewsGuthrum

Conscription on 10:16 - Feb 22 by Churchman

Agreed. It’ll never happen here. It takes far too long to train conscripts to be of any use anyway. In WW1 it was volunteers until 1916 when they had to introduce conscription. Prior to that, the nearest to conscription was the Press Gang for the navy in Napoleonic times. Even with that, if you were sober and warned, you could leg it.

It took until 1916 for the volunteers of 1914 (the Kitchener Armies) to be introduced into the front line. Took that long to train them, particularly the more technical arms such as artillery.

That then had the effect of constraining tactics. Infantry weren't advancing steadily in lines on the Somme due to their commanders being fools, but because without long-service training and experience it was thought they couldn't handle anything more complicated. When conscription was introduced, due to recruitment numbers dropping, they were sent individually to already experienced units, rather than forming new ones as had happened at the start of the war.

In 1939, Britain began a limited call up of conscripts for training before the crisis had come to a head - four months ahead, as it turned out.

Conscription on 10:58 - Feb 22 with 2873 viewsWeWereZombies

Conscription on 10:16 - Feb 22 by Churchman

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Conscription on 11:04 - Feb 22 with 2848 viewsChurchman

Conscription on 10:44 - Feb 22 by Guthrum

It took until 1916 for the volunteers of 1914 (the Kitchener Armies) to be introduced into the front line. Took that long to train them, particularly the more technical arms such as artillery.

That then had the effect of constraining tactics. Infantry weren't advancing steadily in lines on the Somme due to their commanders being fools, but because without long-service training and experience it was thought they couldn't handle anything more complicated. When conscription was introduced, due to recruitment numbers dropping, they were sent individually to already experienced units, rather than forming new ones as had happened at the start of the war.

In 1939, Britain began a limited call up of conscripts for training before the crisis had come to a head - four months ahead, as it turned out.

Interesting. My grandfather volunteered in April 1915. He joined one of the three Royal Engineers Field Companies being raised in Norwich.

His initial training finished at a place called Sutton Vesey at the end of the year and he went to France Jan 16 from Southampton with the Northumberland Fusiliers (Tyneside Scottish) to whom his lot were attached (208 Field Co Norfolk). After more training and a spell in a quiet sector, his lot saw action on 1 July at Le Boisselle.

The four Fusilier brigades plus the Grimsby Chums and the Suffolks of 34 Div took a total pasting. One of the reasons they got massacred was that the artillery and mines at YSap and Lochnagar meant to have wiped out the Germans. The British had to carry all their own kit and in the case of the Tyneside Irish a lot of stuff for the REs too to ‘turn’ the captured trenches. You cannot run with that lot even if you wanted to.

Certainly, Haig and his subordinates didn’t trust the new army as you rightly suggest. Instructions were so rigid. Sadly any gains made could not be exploited. Naive mistakes were also made, such as an officer ringing somebody the night before to wish them luck right in front of the YSap mine. The Germans evacuated the area and suffered few casualties there.

The new army did learn, but oh the terrible cost.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2022 19:43]
Conscription on 11:24 - Feb 22 with 2773 viewsGuthrum

Conscription on 11:04 - Feb 22 by Churchman

Interesting. My grandfather volunteered in April 1915. He joined one of the three Royal Engineers Field Companies being raised in Norwich.

His initial training finished at a place called Sutton Vesey at the end of the year and he went to France Jan 16 from Southampton with the Northumberland Fusiliers (Tyneside Scottish) to whom his lot were attached (208 Field Co Norfolk). After more training and a spell in a quiet sector, his lot saw action on 1 July at Le Boisselle.

The four Fusilier brigades plus the Grimsby Chums and the Suffolks of 34 Div took a total pasting. One of the reasons they got massacred was that the artillery and mines at YSap and Lochnagar meant to have wiped out the Germans. The British had to carry all their own kit and in the case of the Tyneside Irish a lot of stuff for the REs too to ‘turn’ the captured trenches. You cannot run with that lot even if you wanted to.

Certainly, Haig and his subordinates didn’t trust the new army as you rightly suggest. Instructions were so rigid. Sadly any gains made could not be exploited. Naive mistakes were also made, such as an officer ringing somebody the night before to wish them luck right in front of the YSap mine. The Germans evacuated the area and suffered few casualties there.

The new army did learn, but oh the terrible cost.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2022 19:43]

My grandfather volunteered in 1914, was posted to the heavy guns (Royal Garrison Artillery) and was not sent to France until the autumn of 1916.

Served at Ypres the following year, as far as i've discovered in the Polygon Wood sector. Found a newspaper cutting listing him as wounded (which none of us had ever known about). Finished the war just across the Belgian border, near Mons, then was in the occupation forces on the Rhine. Failed to get his old job back at Ipswich Corporation, so re-enlisted and was sent out to what is now Pakistan. Finally got back to Ipswich and worked at the Corporation for the rest of his life.

Conscription on 11:30 - Feb 22 with 2745 viewsnoggin

Conscription on 10:09 - Feb 22 by BloomBlue

No need that's why we have nuclear weapons, short sharp shock that will stop them

Sounds so simple.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Conscription on 11:36 - Feb 22 with 2706 viewsjeera

Conscription on 11:30 - Feb 22 by noggin

Sounds so simple.

Luckily no other country has them so it will be fine.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Conscription on 15:09 - Feb 22 with 2495 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

No.
Conscription on 15:20 - Feb 22 with 2459 viewsJ2BLUE

Utterly pointless drafting me. Three hours into day one i'd be in tears wanting to phone my mum.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Conscription on 15:39 - Feb 22 with 2392 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Conscription on 15:52 - Feb 22 with 2359 viewsKropotkin123

Conscription on 09:30 - Feb 22 by WD19

For Queen and country hey? I'm okay thanks. Rather not fight for a country that doesn't even give me an equal vote.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Conscription on 15:55 - Feb 22 with 2335 viewsWD19

Conscription on 15:52 - Feb 22 by Kropotkin123

For Queen and country hey? I'm okay thanks. Rather not fight for a country that doesn't even give me an equal vote.

Conscription on 16:01 - Feb 22 with 2321 viewsKropotkin123

Conscription on 15:55 - Feb 22 by WD19

I was expecting the first picture to be a snowflake ❄️

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024