Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Post match thoughts 22:41 - Feb 22 with 3042 viewsGarv

- Thompson isn't a wing back. He just doesn't go far enough forward, last 10 mins you had Edmundson marauding forward and desperate for him for make a run forward but he was static. Penney is better suited and we're solid enough defensively to take the risk.

- Pigott did okay on Saturday, but not much more than that. He added nothing tonight. Find it hard to believe that if it was a choice of bringing him or Norwood on (had he been on the bench) that Pigott would have got on. Perhaps unlucky that he was the one that took it off Celina's toes 8 yards out, but it really sums up his situation. Bonne no better unfortunately.

- We didn't vary our game enough during the last 10-15 mins. Did we ever really try putting men in the box and chucking the ball in? Other than getting to the byline and cutting it back occasionally, we didn't cross it. Last 5 mins there was next to no one in the box.

- Missed Evans, both in open play and from set pieces.

- Aluko unlucky not to get on

- Not the end of the world, but one helluva frustrating night.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Post match thoughts on 22:45 - Feb 22 with 2477 viewsPablo_Counago

I think you've really hit the nail on the head here.

Pigott was thoroughly useless tonight and perhaps Jackson should have stayed on instead. Couldn't have done worse I'm sure...

That last corner we had was abysmal and made it seem like we had given up in the final 10 or so minutes.

As you said it was a very frustrating night. Burns unfortunately missing an absolute sitter and Chaplin very narrowly missing a header. Would be nice to see us take some time with our free kicks and plan our set pieces better going forward
Post match thoughts on 22:48 - Feb 22 with 2434 viewsIllinoisblue

Agree with all of that. Bonne was as ineffective as Pigott but has the goals in the bank to deserve some slack. Although not as if we’re creating multiple chances for either of them. We’re so so solid at the back - Cheltenham’s only chances were from our mistakes (Thompson slipping, Burns giving ball away) so doubly frustrating we can’t get it right at the other end.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Post match thoughts on 22:51 - Feb 22 with 2411 viewstractor_lady

Last ten minutes was Vincent Young playing left back! Who actually thought did better than Thompson despite not being left footed!
Post match thoughts on 22:57 - Feb 22 with 2360 viewshatch

Post match thoughts on 22:51 - Feb 22 by tractor_lady

Last ten minutes was Vincent Young playing left back! Who actually thought did better than Thompson despite not being left footed!

I was screaming fro KVY to come on for Thompson. Thought Thompson was woeful tonight when we had the ball - was at walking pace and didn’t seem to be capable of flying down the wing.

Seems to just want to sit in a left back role and have the game tick along around him rather than try and make anything happen.
Post match thoughts on 22:59 - Feb 22 with 2346 viewsurbanblue

We played the through balls ideal for Jackson after he'd gone off ..... !!!!
Post match thoughts on 23:02 - Feb 22 with 2323 viewsclive_baker

Thompson looked like he was running on empty from quite early in the 2nd half, I wasn't surprised to see him taken off. That mistimed tackle was very tired looking. I think he's an upgrade on Penney, but off the back of a big shift on a heavy pitch on Saturday, perhaps today was too much. It's a high intensity approach and tough to maintain for 90 minutes, especially at wing back.

Pigott I just really don't rate. He's an archetypal donkey centre forward, clumsy, don't think he suits us at all tbh and not a player that will elevate us above this level. Looks every bit the sort of journeyman that's spent his career in the lower leagues.

2nd half I thought we stopped doing the basics and started getting a bit desperate. It reminded me of when Iceland knocked England out of the Euros. We seemed to lose our heads a little, resorted to largely overhit long balls, allowed them to make it scrappy, fell into the trap of reacting to their shenanigans too. All felt a bit untidy and tired in the last half an hour.

Agree re. Aluko, I would've put him on for Carroll alongside Morsy when that change happened.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Post match thoughts on 23:03 - Feb 22 with 2308 viewstractor_lady

Post match thoughts on 22:57 - Feb 22 by hatch

I was screaming fro KVY to come on for Thompson. Thought Thompson was woeful tonight when we had the ball - was at walking pace and didn’t seem to be capable of flying down the wing.

Seems to just want to sit in a left back role and have the game tick along around him rather than try and make anything happen.

Yep first half everything came down the right second half Cheltenham marked Burns tighter and we were unable to press forward down the left as an alternative outlet. thought KVY did ok when he came on.
Post match thoughts on 23:04 - Feb 22 with 2298 viewsbackwaywhen

Post match thoughts on 22:45 - Feb 22 by Pablo_Counago

I think you've really hit the nail on the head here.

Pigott was thoroughly useless tonight and perhaps Jackson should have stayed on instead. Couldn't have done worse I'm sure...

That last corner we had was abysmal and made it seem like we had given up in the final 10 or so minutes.

As you said it was a very frustrating night. Burns unfortunately missing an absolute sitter and Chaplin very narrowly missing a header. Would be nice to see us take some time with our free kicks and plan our set pieces better going forward

Played like we were afraid to concede in final 10/15 mins , and when are we going to pose a threat at corners , very frustrating night given our first half domination…….. we move on but the pressure for points will build game by game as some of the others are not buckling ie Oxford and Mk even Bolton won again tonight , love it bring it on COYBs
Login to get fewer ads

Post match thoughts on 23:07 - Feb 22 with 2270 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Post match thoughts on 22:48 - Feb 22 by Illinoisblue

Agree with all of that. Bonne was as ineffective as Pigott but has the goals in the bank to deserve some slack. Although not as if we’re creating multiple chances for either of them. We’re so so solid at the back - Cheltenham’s only chances were from our mistakes (Thompson slipping, Burns giving ball away) so doubly frustrating we can’t get it right at the other end.

I think the distant memory of the Bonne goals counts for little at the min.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Post match thoughts on 23:09 - Feb 22 with 2227 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

KVY has a lot of experience at LB.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Post match thoughts on 23:11 - Feb 22 with 2202 viewsIllinoisblue

Post match thoughts on 23:07 - Feb 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think the distant memory of the Bonne goals counts for little at the min.

He looks like a different player, sadly. Whatever happens this season going to be an interesting summer for our strikers. Could easily make a case for replacing all of them.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Post match thoughts on 23:35 - Feb 22 with 2077 viewsBigCommon

As I scroll past the usual, meltdown hysteria., after Town drop points. I'm thinking how easy and utterly pointless it would be to start slating individual's performances...

Losing Evans pre match, was a blow.....

Looked to me that our game plan hinged on getting ahead, And then exploiting spaces in behind, as we did on Saturday... Alas, we were unable to get the early break through. They defended deep and rode their luck . And we failed to finish the chances we created... 17 attempts, with just 4 on target, suggest to me that we did enough apart from apply the finishing touch. (Which probably frustrates the back 4, who kept a record equaling 5 clean sheets in a row)..
A frustrating night. But not the end of the world. We haven't lost the match, or lost ground on the top 6...
Few lads looking a bit tired tonight, imo....
Need to pick ourselves up for Saturday....
[Post edited 22 Feb 2022 23:38]
Post match thoughts on 23:39 - Feb 22 with 2048 viewsPinewoodblue

Think KMc would have preferred to have changed all his front three but Thompson & Carroll didn't give him that luxury.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Post match thoughts on 23:42 - Feb 22 with 2014 viewsGarv

Fair point! Think the passage of play I'm thinking of was actually KVY. Point still stands re: Thompson though.

Post match thoughts on 23:45 - Feb 22 with 1990 viewsGarv

Post match thoughts on 22:48 - Feb 22 by Illinoisblue

Bonne doesn't tend to fall over the ball each time it comes near him, though. Pigott looks so so clumsy.

Post match thoughts on 00:55 - Feb 23 with 1818 viewspointofblue

Post match thoughts on 23:45 - Feb 22 by Garv

Bonne doesn't tend to fall over the ball each time it comes near him, though. Pigott looks so so clumsy.

No, Bonne just ends up continually offside which ends up in the same result - ball back to the opposition.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Post match thoughts on 06:33 - Feb 23 with 1636 viewsBlue_Heath

Agree, not been impressed with him since the start, although thought he looked better first half. He was right in front of me second half and at one point Edmundson went to play the ball down the line he put his hand up and said no. Clearly not suited to the role. The difference when KVY came on was incredible. Fair play to McKenna though he recognised this and made the change with a good amount of time left.

Left back and a striker priority positions this summer.
Post match thoughts on 07:25 - Feb 23 with 1546 viewsNthQldITFC

Just looking at the first half performance out of context (i.e. forgetting about league position, promotion, lack of goals etc.) then the control, co-ordination, speed of movement of players and ball, and utter domination of the opposition was really very, very good. Bodes very well indeed for the future.

As for the situation this season, having your two theoretically best main striker options seemingly freezing in front of goal is problematic. I'd much rather one of Bonne or Pigott was our go to effective #9 for the rest of the season, but perhaps it might soon be time for a less refined Norwood or even Simpson option up top for a run of games? Neither look like long term options to me, but if that's what it takes to get us over the play-off line this season, maybe it's a worthwhile compromise.

All the great build up play is fabulous, but we are really missing a physical, dominant finisher in the six yard box.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Post match thoughts on 07:37 - Feb 23 with 1500 viewshype313

Post match thoughts on 23:11 - Feb 22 by Illinoisblue

He looks like a different player, sadly. Whatever happens this season going to be an interesting summer for our strikers. Could easily make a case for replacing all of them.

Yep, agreed, don't think McKenna is really sold on any of them.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Post match thoughts on 07:43 - Feb 23 with 1484 viewsFrimleyBlue

Post match thoughts on 00:55 - Feb 23 by pointofblue

No, Bonne just ends up continually offside which ends up in the same result - ball back to the opposition.

Did laugh a little. Barely any offsides all game on comes Bonne and within 2 minutes, offside.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Post match thoughts on 08:07 - Feb 23 with 1421 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Post match thoughts on 22:57 - Feb 22 by hatch

First half Thompson was excellent, as were the whole team, and was passing quickly, probing and making runs. You must've been watching a different game or you've forgotten.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Post match thoughts on 08:21 - Feb 23 with 1397 viewsSteve_M

Post match thoughts on 07:25 - Feb 23 by NthQldITFC

Just looking at the first half performance out of context (i.e. forgetting about league position, promotion, lack of goals etc.) then the control, co-ordination, speed of movement of players and ball, and utter domination of the opposition was really very, very good. Bodes very well indeed for the future.

As for the situation this season, having your two theoretically best main striker options seemingly freezing in front of goal is problematic. I'd much rather one of Bonne or Pigott was our go to effective #9 for the rest of the season, but perhaps it might soon be time for a less refined Norwood or even Simpson option up top for a run of games? Neither look like long term options to me, but if that's what it takes to get us over the play-off line this season, maybe it's a worthwhile compromise.

All the great build up play is fabulous, but we are really missing a physical, dominant finisher in the six yard box.

Yes, had we scored in the first half - as we very much should have done - then we are all talking about another professional performance. We didn't finish the game well though, so I'm sure McK will work on that.

FWIW, I thought we needed Bonne or Pigott with Jackson playing off them. Then again, we probably didn't want him to play two (almost) full matches in a week.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Post match thoughts on 08:41 - Feb 23 with 1340 viewscaptainfantastic

Post match thoughts on 23:02 - Feb 22 by clive_baker

Thompson looked like he was running on empty from quite early in the 2nd half, I wasn't surprised to see him taken off. That mistimed tackle was very tired looking. I think he's an upgrade on Penney, but off the back of a big shift on a heavy pitch on Saturday, perhaps today was too much. It's a high intensity approach and tough to maintain for 90 minutes, especially at wing back.

Pigott I just really don't rate. He's an archetypal donkey centre forward, clumsy, don't think he suits us at all tbh and not a player that will elevate us above this level. Looks every bit the sort of journeyman that's spent his career in the lower leagues.

2nd half I thought we stopped doing the basics and started getting a bit desperate. It reminded me of when Iceland knocked England out of the Euros. We seemed to lose our heads a little, resorted to largely overhit long balls, allowed them to make it scrappy, fell into the trap of reacting to their shenanigans too. All felt a bit untidy and tired in the last half an hour.

Agree re. Aluko, I would've put him on for Carroll alongside Morsy when that change happened.

Thompson got injured at the start of the 2nd half. Was sat in-front of him when he wanted to come off when taking a throw-in. Carried on for about 10 minutes before being taken off
[Post edited 23 Feb 2022 9:33]

Poll: player of the season so far?

Post match thoughts on 08:48 - Feb 23 with 1314 viewstractorboy1978

Post match thoughts on 08:21 - Feb 23 by Steve_M

Yes, had we scored in the first half - as we very much should have done - then we are all talking about another professional performance. We didn't finish the game well though, so I'm sure McK will work on that.

FWIW, I thought we needed Bonne or Pigott with Jackson playing off them. Then again, we probably didn't want him to play two (almost) full matches in a week.

Yes, exactly that re your first paragraph. It would have been another comfortable win had we gone in a goal up at half time and they had to try and come at us.

We snatched at a lot of half chances/crossing opportunities last night when there was time to take a touch and show a bit of composure. And Pigott took an almost certain goal off Celina's boot in the second half.
Post match thoughts on 10:30 - Feb 23 with 1190 viewsAlanG296

Post match thoughts on 08:07 - Feb 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

First half Thompson was excellent, as were the whole team, and was passing quickly, probing and making runs. You must've been watching a different game or you've forgotten.

You must have been watching a different game or you've forgotten. Given our abysmal failure to score a goal when we dominated the first half with our attractive football, we were not excellent.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024