Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night 08:51 - Feb 23 with 1695 viewsJakeITFC

Properly good - playing football in an exciting and free-flowing style, lots of one touch passing, beating players and creating good chances as well as pressing in a way that didn’t give Cheltenham a second to breath.

Second half was obviously frustrating, we ran out of steam (and I thought we lost the plot a bit last 20 with the change of shape) but if that first half is a window of what’s to come then we have cause to be very excited about this Ipswich team going forward.
I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 08:57 - Feb 23 with 1644 viewsthebooks

For the first half of the first half we were good and a goal felt like it was coming, but then it petered out.

Thought the subs were wrong and KJ was probably the most dangerous forward.

TBH, Cheltenham played really well and frustrated us.
I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:00 - Feb 23 with 1622 viewsCaptainAhab

We were excellent in the first half, carving them open at will, some great penetrating football. How we didnt go in 2 or 3 up I'll never know. One of those nights I guess.
I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:09 - Feb 23 with 1574 viewsWD19

We were even more brilliant in the first half at their place. Maybe not so much in terms of patterns of play, but in terms of looking dangerous.
I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:10 - Feb 23 with 1561 viewsJakeITFC

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:09 - Feb 23 by WD19

We were even more brilliant in the first half at their place. Maybe not so much in terms of patterns of play, but in terms of looking dangerous.

I said to my friend after last night that it was probably a second half that would have suited Kyle Edwards, a shame he’s injured as we don’t really have any other natural wingers in the squad (bar Burns).
I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:13 - Feb 23 with 1537 viewsitfcjoe

It was almost a game where you felt sorry for the opposition in the first half, the best they achieved was a loose ball from a midfielder forward and I'd be surprised if they completed 10 passes in our half. Was a proper relentless performance and the best I've seen us probably since, in a totally different style, we just overran teams around November 2014.

A shame we didn't win, and a real frustration to drop points there, but I went away with many more positives than negatives from that game, and hope a sign of things to come.

We just ran out of ideas, and puff a bit in second half - and subs didn't help - both Bonne and Pigott needlessly offside a couple of times and the ball just bouncing off them when played to them - both look badly out of form

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:14 - Feb 23 with 1528 viewsclive_baker

First half an hour we were very good. I thought the last 10 minutes or so of the first half were less good.

2nd half looked jaded IMO in key areas, notably both wingbacks. Understandably enough given the fixtures coming Saturday - Tuesday, off the back of a big shift on a heavy pitch. But really seemed to run out of steam, lost our shape a bit and resorted to being more direct. Don't think Pigott offered anything at all, would've rather seen Aluko on for Carroll to try and dictate some play centrally with fresh legs. Disappointing 2nd half but it's a point, take it and move on.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:18 - Feb 23 with 1498 viewsITFC_Forever

First half we were so dominant, it seemed like a case of when, not if, we'd score.

Each time we attacked and didn't score, there was a confidence that there would be another chance along very shortly...

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:20 - Feb 23 with 1487 viewsbluefunk

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:14 - Feb 23 by clive_baker

First half an hour we were very good. I thought the last 10 minutes or so of the first half were less good.

2nd half looked jaded IMO in key areas, notably both wingbacks. Understandably enough given the fixtures coming Saturday - Tuesday, off the back of a big shift on a heavy pitch. But really seemed to run out of steam, lost our shape a bit and resorted to being more direct. Don't think Pigott offered anything at all, would've rather seen Aluko on for Carroll to try and dictate some play centrally with fresh legs. Disappointing 2nd half but it's a point, take it and move on.

Absolutely agree, we noticed that their manager sending instructions on at about 25 minutes, he moved them further up the pitch, so there was less space for us to pop the ball around, they then survived until half time, which I doubt they expected to do.
Login to get fewer ads

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:26 - Feb 23 with 1460 viewscaptainfantastic

1st half we pressed so intensely and really suffocated Cheltenham.

Naturally we ran out gas for the 2nd half.

In the 2nd half we lost the intensity and so Cheltenham could get more back into it. Around 60 the fans started to get agitated and this transcended to the players, we stopped playing our short passing/pressing game which played into Cheltenham's hands.

It makes you realise how good Man City/Lpool are that they can control a game for the whole 90.

Overall, its so pleasing to see a performance in that manner. We can keep evolving game by game with this style and no reason why we can't continue to improve week on week.

Last night was a big learning
[Post edited 23 Feb 2022 9:27]

Poll: player of the season so far?

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:30 - Feb 23 with 1431 viewstractorboy1978

It was another game that we looked worse in when we had two 'proper' strikers on the pitch. Admittedly we had less control second half anyway but we had even less control when we changed it. You can clearly see what McKenna's plan A is (fluid, interchangeable, direct, pacy front 3) and Bonne/Pigott/Norwood don't really fit it.
I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:39 - Feb 23 with 1377 viewshomer_123

Against a team determined not to ship 5 goals by homer_123 22 Feb 2022 23:08
I thought we did everything but score tonight.

For 30 mins Chelts couldn't get near us. We created opportunities against a back 10 to take all 3 points tonight.

Not quite clinical enough.

Hey ho...

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:43 - Feb 23 with 1364 viewsDJR

The game fits a pattern for virtually all the games I have seen this season, namely, we play well for a period or periods, but there is a period where virtually everyone goes missing. It seems to stem from midfield, and Morsy (for all his strengths) is equally guilty of becoming invisible. Quite why this happens, I don't know.
I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:44 - Feb 23 with 1342 viewshomer_123

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:43 - Feb 23 by DJR

The game fits a pattern for virtually all the games I have seen this season, namely, we play well for a period or periods, but there is a period where virtually everyone goes missing. It seems to stem from midfield, and Morsy (for all his strengths) is equally guilty of becoming invisible. Quite why this happens, I don't know.

We did more than enough to win last night - we didn't have our shooting boots on - for me, it was that simple last night.

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:45 - Feb 23 with 1328 viewsPinewoodblue

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:13 - Feb 23 by itfcjoe

It was almost a game where you felt sorry for the opposition in the first half, the best they achieved was a loose ball from a midfielder forward and I'd be surprised if they completed 10 passes in our half. Was a proper relentless performance and the best I've seen us probably since, in a totally different style, we just overran teams around November 2014.

A shame we didn't win, and a real frustration to drop points there, but I went away with many more positives than negatives from that game, and hope a sign of things to come.

We just ran out of ideas, and puff a bit in second half - and subs didn't help - both Bonne and Pigott needlessly offside a couple of times and the ball just bouncing off them when played to them - both look badly out of form

The one piece of the puzzle that is missing. A settled front three that demands, on merit, to be picked.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:50 - Feb 23 with 1283 viewsDJR

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:44 - Feb 23 by homer_123

We did more than enough to win last night - we didn't have our shooting boots on - for me, it was that simple last night.

I agree but I suppose it's just a bit frustrating that we dropped points when others above us did too. Still you can't win them all, and I will be content if we get 4 points from the next two games, which will keep us on course for two points a game.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2022 9:51]
I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:51 - Feb 23 with 1280 viewspointofblue

First half was good for 20 minutes then petered out. Sadly the second half started as the first half finished. For the first time I think McKenna got his subs wrong last night, possibly starting with the bench selection resulting in no Norwood.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:54 - Feb 23 with 1221 viewshomer_123

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:50 - Feb 23 by DJR

I agree but I suppose it's just a bit frustrating that we dropped points when others above us did too. Still you can't win them all, and I will be content if we get 4 points from the next two games, which will keep us on course for two points a game.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2022 9:51]

Agreed.

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 10:10 - Feb 23 with 1148 viewsMaySixth

Also, Duff did a tactical job on McKenna second half.
Closed down all pockets of space and let our defence have the ball a lot more.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 10:18 - Feb 23 with 1121 viewscaptainfantastic

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 09:45 - Feb 23 by Pinewoodblue

The one piece of the puzzle that is missing. A settled front three that demands, on merit, to be picked.

When you play high pressing, intense style, the front 3 needs to be rotated

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 12:40 - Feb 23 with 887 viewsIllinoisblue

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 10:18 - Feb 23 by captainfantastic

When you play high pressing, intense style, the front 3 needs to be rotated

Why?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 14:38 - Feb 23 with 773 viewscaptainfantastic

I thought we were brilliant in the first half last night on 12:40 - Feb 23 by Illinoisblue

Why?

Players get fatigued. Can't sustain it Saturday/Tuesday every week

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024