Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? 13:12 - Feb 23 with 4398 viewsAsa

Most of us can see that 7 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats is an excellent start (those two defeats away to two of the form teams at the time as well), but to be on the verge of a club record so quickly?

What's amazing to me is that it won't just be a record for clean sheets that could be broken Saturday, something that we didn't achieve with some of the best defenders in the world or even in a McCarthy side that might set up to be super negative. It's the fact that during those 5 clean sheets and 8 in his first 11, we've won so many games, we've played some lovely stuff and we've not been at all boring to watch or what you'd associate with a side about to potentially break a hundred and something year old clean sheet record.

To do that straight off the bat, with a new side, one that was underperforming, with an oversized squad and so on is absolutely remarkable.

To climb the table at the same time, seemingly create a proper team harmony, I don't think anybody could have done a better job and it bodes incredibly well for next season and beyond, if not this season.

[Post edited 23 Feb 2022 13:15]
Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 13:21 - Feb 23 with 3010 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I don't think he created the proper team harmony, I think that was already there. But yes, other than that I agree. And for a manager not only new to Ipswich, but being new to management, that's extraordinary.

There is the caveat compared to our past teams that he's doing it in the third tier, but even so it's still pretty impressive as you say.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 13:25 - Feb 23 with 2984 viewsGarv

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 13:21 - Feb 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

I don't think he created the proper team harmony, I think that was already there. But yes, other than that I agree. And for a manager not only new to Ipswich, but being new to management, that's extraordinary.

There is the caveat compared to our past teams that he's doing it in the third tier, but even so it's still pretty impressive as you say.

On your last point, I never quite get that. We're in the league for a reason, with players who are in the league for a reason. It's all relative.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 13:29 - Feb 23 with 2955 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 13:25 - Feb 23 by Garv

On your last point, I never quite get that. We're in the league for a reason, with players who are in the league for a reason. It's all relative.

We're a big fish in League 1 - by far the biggest supported club in terms of AWAY* fans, and probably the biggest in terms of money as well. When we were in the top flight we were a small fish punching above our weight. So it will be harder, even if the players were better.

*added for the angry people
[Post edited 23 Feb 2022 14:17]

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 13:31 - Feb 23 with 2942 viewsgordon

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 13:29 - Feb 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

We're a big fish in League 1 - by far the biggest supported club in terms of AWAY* fans, and probably the biggest in terms of money as well. When we were in the top flight we were a small fish punching above our weight. So it will be harder, even if the players were better.

Think Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday might have something to say about point one.
Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 13:33 - Feb 23 with 2929 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 13:31 - Feb 23 by gordon

Think Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday might have something to say about point one.

I don't know the complete figures, but we've just smashed the away supporters record (for all divisions outside the Prem). Either way the point still stands.

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 13:49 - Feb 23 with 2831 viewsclive_baker

For me it's not even about clean sheets, it's more the absolute amount of goals we've conceded. Obviously they're linked, but it's not like we're keeping clean sheets one week and shipping 3 the next. 4 conceded in 11 games is remarkably good. We're not far off 1/4 of a season under McKenna. It's partly due to us being better in possession, playing more football in their 3rd and dominating good possession, they can't score while we have the ball, but I also think we just look so much more solid when defending too. We're not impenetrable, we never will be, but from Walton all the way to the front players we're pressing with urgency, winning the ball back quicker, giving away far less cheap territory and set pieces. We're just a much better team than we were 2 months ago, and long may that continue. It might well be too late to salvage this season, but thats no reflection on KM and his team at all. It gives me a lot of hope going into next season though.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 13:53 - Feb 23 with 2815 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

I think in fairness he’s had a lot of credit on here. Really couldn’t have asked for a better start.

For me he’s restored some pride in the club. For years it’s been almost embarrassing saying you support ITFC with us sliding lower and lower league positions over the years, endless cup humiliations etc. Now for the first time in years, we are a team that nobody is going to look forward to playing.
Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 13:58 - Feb 23 with 2783 viewsquirkie

23 pts from 33 pts is 96pts over a full season.

If we don't go up this season then next season should be the one.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Login to get fewer ads

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:03 - Feb 23 with 2741 viewsBlueStreak

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 13:29 - Feb 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

Do your research before you make ridiculous claims we are by far the biggest supported club in the league ffs
Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:06 - Feb 23 with 2719 viewsChurchman

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 13:53 - Feb 23 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I think in fairness he’s had a lot of credit on here. Really couldn’t have asked for a better start.

For me he’s restored some pride in the club. For years it’s been almost embarrassing saying you support ITFC with us sliding lower and lower league positions over the years, endless cup humiliations etc. Now for the first time in years, we are a team that nobody is going to look forward to playing.

I think it goes hand in hand with the club moving forwards for the first time in 20 years too.

Ok, you can say what about when MM got the team from relegation candidates to the play offs. It was progress, but it always felt Mick was defying gravity. He was using his know how with limited resources to make the best of it. The club itself was still going backwards. People like Milne and Clegg, turnstiles, portacabin, Milton leaving etc etc. it felt second rate.

Now, we have structure, hopefully improvement in infrastructure coming and a proper team emerging. Basically, hope built on foundations. It’s how it feels to me.
Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:06 - Feb 23 with 2721 viewsIllinoisblue

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 13:33 - Feb 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

I don't know the complete figures, but we've just smashed the away supporters record (for all divisions outside the Prem). Either way the point still stands.

The point doesn’t really stand because your facts were wrong. This doesn’t really matter much in the big scheme of things but everybody knows Sunderland and Sheff Weds get bigger crowds than us.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:08 - Feb 23 with 2695 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:06 - Feb 23 by Illinoisblue

The point doesn’t really stand because your facts were wrong. This doesn’t really matter much in the big scheme of things but everybody knows Sunderland and Sheff Weds get bigger crowds than us.

My point was "We're a big fish in League 1." Are you denying that?

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:09 - Feb 23 with 2685 viewsHullblue

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 13:58 - Feb 23 by quirkie

23 pts from 33 pts is 96pts over a full season.

If we don't go up this season then next season should be the one.

I hope you're right, but I've done this same calculation so many times as an Ipswich fan. "If we play as well as we did in part A, B, C of last season we're bound to at least make the play-offs."

Cue huge disappointment!

So I'm not getting ahead of myself. But if we do fail to go up, then keep hold of McKenna this summer and have a successful transfer window (which will be tricky because we have a lot of decisions to make on players) then we'll surely be there or there abouts next season.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:10 - Feb 23 with 2676 viewsIllinoisblue

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:08 - Feb 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

My point was "We're a big fish in League 1." Are you denying that?

Undeniably true. Not true: “we’re by far the biggest supported club in League 1”

62 - 78 - 81

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:16 - Feb 23 with 2619 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:10 - Feb 23 by Illinoisblue

Undeniably true. Not true: “we’re by far the biggest supported club in League 1”

You said my point doesn't stand - and my point was "We're a big fish in League 1."

Regarding "biggest" I should've added "away from home". Regardless, that bit was only adding to the main point. I could just delete it, or edit it, but leave the main point and it not be affected.

Do you now agree my (main) point did stand?

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:16 - Feb 23 with 2617 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Hes had loads of credit.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:33 - Feb 23 with 2547 viewsIllinoisblue

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:16 - Feb 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

You said my point doesn't stand - and my point was "We're a big fish in League 1."

Regarding "biggest" I should've added "away from home". Regardless, that bit was only adding to the main point. I could just delete it, or edit it, but leave the main point and it not be affected.

Do you now agree my (main) point did stand?

If we must continue this, yes I agree your point about us being a big fish in this league is correct. But you’ve compounded your original factual error with another one. Yes we had one ridiculously good following at MK, but we’re not the best supported club away from home.

62 - 78 - 81

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:46 - Feb 23 with 2498 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:33 - Feb 23 by Illinoisblue

If we must continue this, yes I agree your point about us being a big fish in this league is correct. But you’ve compounded your original factual error with another one. Yes we had one ridiculously good following at MK, but we’re not the best supported club away from home.

Jesus, I give up.

Average away attendance;
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/attendances/away

Hold onto your hat before you click that link.

People call me argumentative but it's actually just down to twonks like you desperately trying to trip me up on minor points.

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:51 - Feb 23 with 2472 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:10 - Feb 23 by Illinoisblue

In fairness he did say in terms of away fans.

Not biggest over all

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 15:02 - Feb 23 with 2436 viewsEwan_Oozami

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:46 - Feb 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

Jesus, I give up.

Average away attendance;

People call me argumentative but it's actually just down to twonks like you desperately trying to trip me up on minor points.

Not quite sure that graph means what you think it means...then again, I'm not quite sure what it means myself!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 15:07 - Feb 23 with 2416 viewsclive_baker

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 14:46 - Feb 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

Jesus, I give up.

Average away attendance;

Think that's the whole attendance, of away games. So not 'away fans'. Of course that will contribute some of it, but Sunderland can't play themselves away can they, so they don't benefit from the impact of a 30,000 attendance in their away stats.

Inconclusive. Think you need to provide some firmer data to support your claims tbh

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 15:14 - Feb 23 with 2370 viewsPhilTWTD

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 15:02 - Feb 23 by Ewan_Oozami

Not quite sure that graph means what you think it means...then again, I'm not quite sure what it means myself!

It is a slightly oblique stat, but it does illustrate the point that more fans are at our away games than anyone else's.
Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 15:14 - Feb 23 with 2365 viewsIllinoisblue

Jesus, I give up.

Average away attendance;

Hold on to your hat and provide data that actually means something to reinforce your point.

62 - 78 - 81

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 15:18 - Feb 23 with 2343 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 15:07 - Feb 23 by clive_baker

Think that's the whole attendance, of away games. So not 'away fans'. Of course that will contribute some of it, but Sunderland can't play themselves away can they, so they don't benefit from the impact of a 30,000 attendance in their away stats.

Inconclusive. Think you need to provide some firmer data to support your claims tbh

Shut up, you're trying to wind me up now. I refuse to bite, other than to say Ipswich can't play themselves away either!

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 15:19 - Feb 23 with 2326 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Does McKenna deserve even more credit that he's been getting? on 15:14 - Feb 23 by PhilTWTD

It is a slightly oblique stat, but it does illustrate the point that more fans are at our away games than anyone else's.

Thanks Philip.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024