Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? 03:50 - Feb 25 with 3780 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The Germans keeping Biden well and truly in check. If Afghanistan didn’t send enough signals, Putin surely now smells blood. The Ukrainian people at least will still put up a fight even if everyone else just stands by with a few tough words and some “sanctions”. It’s laughable really, what has Putin got to lose, he knows no one is actually going to do anything about this. NATO will just look weaker and weaker (and get a lot less American money in the future I might add).

Genuine question, what are the repercussions on an international stage nowadays, I mean outside of hosting a major global tournament.

Tick tock…. Taiwan

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 05:49 - Feb 25 with 2173 viewssolomon

It’s far from a done deal that Russia can ultimately win. Clandestine wars have been fought for some time by ours and other governments. From Vietnam to Afghanistan (not to mention other conflicts) large military powers have succumbed to guerrilla warfare which has stretched out over extended periods with funds from foreign governments , couple that with sanctions that bite harder as time goes by I would think the most vulnerable person (apart from the innocent Ukrainians)in this conflict is Putin himself.
So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 06:26 - Feb 25 with 2131 viewsgeg1992

I dont think Taiwan is comparable. Dont several countries including the USA have agreements to defend it?

Im so frustrated over the lack of action including not cutting Russia off from Swift. Putin is making a complete mockery of the West.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 07:27 - Feb 25 with 2014 viewsWD19

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 06:26 - Feb 25 by geg1992

I dont think Taiwan is comparable. Dont several countries including the USA have agreements to defend it?

Im so frustrated over the lack of action including not cutting Russia off from Swift. Putin is making a complete mockery of the West.

Hopefully a stray missile from North Korea will cut off the Russian gas pipeline to China. It’s difficult to see what else at this stage will have any impact on proceedings.
So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 07:54 - Feb 25 with 1958 viewsLord_Lucan

UK and USA have recommended Russia is removed from SWIFT but EU don't agree. This would be much more effective and damaging to Russia than any current sanctions.

UK also leading the backing up of Ukraine with defence supplies and intelligence

Yet of course UK is too soft and corrupt according to some.

As an aside............Russia public staging demonstrations and although Russia seems to be steamrolling through, things aren't going all their way.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2022 7:59]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:08 - Feb 25 with 1895 viewsChurchman

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 07:54 - Feb 25 by Lord_Lucan

UK and USA have recommended Russia is removed from SWIFT but EU don't agree. This would be much more effective and damaging to Russia than any current sanctions.

UK also leading the backing up of Ukraine with defence supplies and intelligence

As an aside............Russia public staging demonstrations and although Russia seems to be steamrolling through, things aren't going all their way.

The biggest objector to cutting them off appears to be Germany - surprise surprise.

https://www.ft.com/content/69f72de5-d727-496d-9f9d-316db7bdaf03

As for the Russians who are protesting about this, they are incredibly brave. I do fear for them.
So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:09 - Feb 25 with 1891 viewsgiant_stow

I think the Germans are wondering how they'll pay for the Russian gas without this payment system. Plus the Russians would probably stop supplying it in retaliation in any case. We in the west need a new source of energy incredibly urgently. Covid style reaction needed.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:10 - Feb 25 with 1874 viewsSteve_M

I'm not sure that that is actually true, the US sanctions on the Russian banking sector are punitive and probably more effective. (I read something informed on this yesterday and will try and find it in a bit).

SWIFT is just a messenger service.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:13 - Feb 25 with 1857 viewsblueislander

Germany will resist denying Russia access to Swift, as they are totally dependent on Russian oil and gas and have to pay for.the reverse of that is that if Russia can’t sell its oil and gas it will be greatly weakened economically.
Login to get fewer ads

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:16 - Feb 25 with 1839 viewsLord_Lucan

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:10 - Feb 25 by Steve_M

I'm not sure that that is actually true, the US sanctions on the Russian banking sector are punitive and probably more effective. (I read something informed on this yesterday and will try and find it in a bit).

I disagree with this. Cutting them from SWIFT is a sledgehammer.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:22 - Feb 25 with 1793 viewsChurchman

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:09 - Feb 25 by giant_stow

I think the Germans are wondering how they'll pay for the Russian gas without this payment system. Plus the Russians would probably stop supplying it in retaliation in any case. We in the west need a new source of energy incredibly urgently. Covid style reaction needed.

I agree with this. Is there political will in some European countries? I read something yesterday that suggested Germany has staked a lot on embedding itself with Russia on the energy front because it’s cheap and plentiful, but also seen a way of guaranteeing peace through economic ties. Former Chancellor Schroeder sits on Gazprom’s Board interestingly.

I don’t know whether to believe this, but it is also said that basically Germany feels a moral debt to Russia for the millions it killed there in WW2. If that’s the case, it’s rather ironic that proportionately they killed far more Ukrainians but would appear to feel no more obligation than 50 helmets.

I suspect their attitude mostly comes back to Russian energy, as you suggest. A rapid change is definitely needed.
So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:22 - Feb 25 with 1795 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

According to this the US are softer on the idea of a SWIFT ban

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/feb/24/what-is-swift-international-p

but hints here of a lack of unity at least in the G7 about the ban as you say

Shouldn't there be an acceptance in the west that sanctions of whatever nature will likely cause issues for us too and that this is a price worth paying? Or does it depend on the price?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:33 - Feb 25 with 1751 viewsVic

How on earth has Russia not been immediately removed from the presidency of the UN Security Council?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:35 - Feb 25 with 1743 viewsLord_Lucan

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:22 - Feb 25 by You_Bloo_Right

According to this the US are softer on the idea of a SWIFT ban

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/feb/24/what-is-swift-international-p

but hints here of a lack of unity at least in the G7 about the ban as you say

Shouldn't there be an acceptance in the west that sanctions of whatever nature will likely cause issues for us too and that this is a price worth paying? Or does it depend on the price?

The loon won't stop at Ukraine and attacking him militarily has the potential of a nuclear exchange.

We need to throw everything at him even if it means paying more for energy and consumables.

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:40 - Feb 25 with 1724 viewsVic

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:35 - Feb 25 by Lord_Lucan

The loon won't stop at Ukraine and attacking him militarily has the potential of a nuclear exchange.

We need to throw everything at him even if it means paying more for energy and consumables.

It won’t be any good people complaining ‘but look what the sanctions are doing to the innocent population’. Sadly they will and must suffer as a result of their leaders aggression, just as the population in general of Ukraine are about to suffer. You are right - we need to throw everything at this.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:44 - Feb 25 with 1702 viewsMullet

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:10 - Feb 25 by Steve_M

This exchange looks fairly reliable

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:48 - Feb 25 with 1672 viewsLord_Lucan

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:44 - Feb 25 by Mullet

This exchange looks fairly reliable

Does it?
[Post edited 25 Feb 2022 8:49]

[Redacted] on 08:50 - Feb 25 with 1658 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:52 - Feb 25 with 1652 viewsMullet

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:48 - Feb 25 by Lord_Lucan

Does it?
[Post edited 25 Feb 2022 8:49]

Certainly if the precedent is true. I'm no expert on US banking history, but the exchange seemed to clarify the discussion here.

Happy to be told what's wrong.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 09:13 - Feb 25 with 1581 viewshype313

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:08 - Feb 25 by Churchman

The biggest objector to cutting them off appears to be Germany - surprise surprise.

As for the Russians who are protesting about this, they are incredibly brave. I do fear for them.

Russia have the Germans by the throat and they both know that.

This is how I see it going forward.

The West will stop buying Russian oil & gas.
The price on the Middle East markets will rise.
China will buy Russia’s oil & gas.
The price will stabilise.
Short term all our sanctions will do is change the trading pattern of tankers & some pipelines will be constructed.
Long term the West will cut off ties to Russia and China and mark a return to a Cold War footing.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 09:20 - Feb 25 with 1539 viewsGuthrum

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:33 - Feb 25 by Vic

How on earth has Russia not been immediately removed from the presidency of the UN Security Council?

Both they and China have a veto.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 09:22 - Feb 25 with 1528 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Ukraine is certainly no Kuwait!!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 09:24 - Feb 25 with 1522 viewsGuthrum

Tho I have read suggestions that removal from SWIFT would be inconvenient rather than outright damaging. China has a rival system which Russian businesses could migrate to, plus there are other routes for money transfer and the option of using cryptocurrencies.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 09:24 - Feb 25 with 1518 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 08:16 - Feb 25 by Lord_Lucan

I disagree with this. Cutting them from SWIFT is a sledgehammer.

China have an alternative version.

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 09:26 - Feb 25 with 1514 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 09:24 - Feb 25 by Guthrum

Tho I have read suggestions that removal from SWIFT would be inconvenient rather than outright damaging. China has a rival system which Russian businesses could migrate to, plus there are other routes for money transfer and the option of using cryptocurrencies.

....and US wants to keep the dollar as the global currency.

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 09:38 - Feb 25 with 1437 viewsWD19

So no cutting off Russia from Swift then? on 09:20 - Feb 25 by Guthrum

Both they and China have a veto.

Set up Security Council 2.0 and leave them to it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024