Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If anyone has five minutes ... 11:29 - Feb 26 with 821 viewsSomethingBlue

... then I'd be really glad if you would read my good friend's story of evacuating Kyiv.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/26/russia-ukraine-my-diary-of-evacuat

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

If anyone has five minutes ... on 11:42 - Feb 26 with 757 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I find it difficult to imagine what it must be like for people with friends and relatives there. I hope she stays safe.

Credit to Poland too: "Poland, which in recent years, has deterred immigrants, warned of a potential crisis like that in 2015, when a million Syrians came to Europe.

But the country is planning to open nine reception centres along its border with Ukraine, and ministers said they would take in “as many as there will be at our borders”

From: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/thousands-will-die-they-will-be-killed-from

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

If anyone has five minutes ... on 11:46 - Feb 26 with 738 viewsDarth_Koont

Terrible for her and you. Hopefully she’s getting safer and safer as she moves West.

It’s a powerful story. Even with the fighting more or less a backdrop just over the horizon, it’s striking how war cracks open ordinary people’s worlds far beyond talk of buffer zones and spheres of influence as if this is all a big game of Risk.

For many I am sure this is re-awakening the trauma of the past century in an incredibly traumatised region. And you can only hope she and they can return to their more recent lives.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2022 11:46]

Pronouns: He/Him

If anyone has five minutes ... on 11:51 - Feb 26 with 713 viewsbluelagos

Have seen refugees up close just three times in my life, and it is always a humbling experience, people fleeing conflict or mother nature with nothing but a bag and their hopes/fears for what the future will bring them.

One of the few heart warming responses has been ordinary Poles (and am sure Moldovans and Slovakians) doing all they can to assist those fleeing Ukraine.

Lets hope our government shows similar empathy towards these desperate people in their hour of need.

Cheers for sharing and I hope your friend can stay safe, sadly that's all any of us can do at the moment.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

If anyone has five minutes ... on 12:21 - Feb 26 with 655 viewsChurchman

Thank you for posting this. A must read.

We take freedom and safety so lightly in this country and others. It is a precious and fragile thing and animals like Putin will always be around to take it away.

We need to be doing far more for these brave, innocent people.
If anyone has five minutes ... on 13:10 - Feb 26 with 579 viewsIllinoisblue

My word, can you imagine. Having your ordinary life uprooted under fear of death. And multiply this for hundreds of thousands of people. And all for what?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

If anyone has five minutes ... on 15:14 - Feb 26 with 484 viewschicoazul

Best wishes to you and your friend, a harrowing read.

One thing related; why do we all call it Kyiv now? Not Kiev.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If anyone has five minutes ... on 20:15 - Feb 26 with 420 viewsEdwardStone

If anyone has five minutes ... on 15:14 - Feb 26 by chicoazul

Best wishes to you and your friend, a harrowing read.

One thing related; why do we all call it Kyiv now? Not Kiev.

Kyiv is the Ukraine spelling

Kiev is the Russian spelling

So probably best to us Kyiv

In the circumstances
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024