Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne 07:50 - Feb 27 with 3167 viewsAsa

1 goal in 20 is absolutely atrocious, made worse by the fact he’s not out of his depth. This is a guy who scored 11 in 12 or whatever it was to start the season.

He’s also not a guy that’s being hammered by fans like any other player would be during this run. He’s one of our own, he’s being backed by the fans and we all understand the personal circumstances that have most likely contributed to the start of the run, if not beyond.

It’s completely undone any chance of a permanent signing. We’d be insane to spend the money required to go and get him now and the worst part of all this is as annoyed as we are at his form or how it’s impacted our seasons he’s hurting on the very same basis of being a town fan as well as on the professional side.

His first half header summed it up yesterday. He was running towards the goal, facing the goal and when he went to connect he turned his head massively away from goal. Don’t think he could be expected to react to the save from Morsy and then he should have buried a rebound second half too.

Feel so much for the guy. Clearly a nice guy, clearly loves the club and clearly has the talent required but the last few months have seen his form dwindle to the point where he’s no longer winning headers, making runs or doing the basics.

Would love nothing more than for something to go his way between now and the end of the season in the hope he starts to get back to his best. Ordinarily we’d have little choice but to drop him but with Norwood doing nothing and Piggott just not working for us, let’s hope that if Bonne gets more opportunities something happens for him.
I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 07:52 - Feb 27 with 3147 viewsitfcjoe

It’s when strikers stop getting chances you need to worry, one will go in for him and hopefully he’ll be off and away

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 07:55 - Feb 27 with 3105 viewsAsa

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 07:52 - Feb 27 by itfcjoe

It’s when strikers stop getting chances you need to worry, one will go in for him and hopefully he’ll be off and away

I thought that previously but elaborating on your strikers post it seems very strange where we are.

We are dominating teams and carving them apart and the number of chances and big chances and corners that you mentioned are all there.

We managed a 1-0 win against Doncaster despite about 19 chances, couldn’t score against Cheltenham and managed to finally beat their (albeit inspired) keeper eventually yesterday wasting loads more chances.

Aluko has scored in one match, Morsy hasn’t scored yet, Celina hasn’t got anywhere near as many as I’d thought. Lots of fine tuning from McKenna that end of the pitch and I’m wondering if we are just unlucky.

We could have scored six yesterday, four Tuesday and five at Doncaster. So many promising signs now that we are a hell of a team apart from the summer focus which will no doubt be prolific players who can flourish in this system.

I agree, when we aren’t creating the chances we worry. Just bizarre that at the start of the season we were scoring for fun and not exactly creating chance after chance. We seemed to play some nice stuff until the final third but then be so clinical. McKenna has worked wonders but one striker in form (instead of 7 goals in 76 combined appearances) and we sit in the playoffs right now.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2022 7:57]
I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 07:56 - Feb 27 with 3100 viewsFixed_It

Actually, I think after the 20 games with only one goal is the time to worry. I really feel for him because he must be desperate to score.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 08:21 - Feb 27 with 2945 viewsChurchman

I agree with this Joe. One needs to go in off his rear end, knee, anything and he will stop thinking too much about it and score for fun. He’s a good player and he will be fine in my view.
I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 08:41 - Feb 27 with 2848 viewsOsborneOneNil

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 08:21 - Feb 27 by Churchman

I agree with this Joe. One needs to go in off his rear end, knee, anything and he will stop thinking too much about it and score for fun. He’s a good player and he will be fine in my view.

Well, he did score that ‘one’ at Gillingham…that didn’t get him up and running again.

Agree with Asa too, he’s stopped his other work, it seems. Doesn’t do much at all, real shame.
I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 08:43 - Feb 27 with 2835 viewstextbackup

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 08:41 - Feb 27 by OsborneOneNil

Well, he did score that ‘one’ at Gillingham…that didn’t get him up and running again.

Agree with Asa too, he’s stopped his other work, it seems. Doesn’t do much at all, real shame.

Are you surprised? He’s got his own fan base, from his club he’s supported since a kid, getting on his back.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 09:30 - Feb 27 with 2670 viewsTractorFrog

I would sign him anyway for next year, we know how good he can be and we also know that he would want to stay at the club until he retires. I think for next year we should keep Pigott (he will surely come good at some point), keep one of Jackson or Norwood, sign Bonne, and sign one new striker.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 09:40 - Feb 27 with 2625 viewsChrisd

Yes, he has fallen completely off the wagon after a brilliant start to the season. However, some of the chances he's missed, both in his purple patch and in his current barren run, have been really disappointing and cost us important points. In form or not, you expect him to put some of those away.

He's certainly not one I would be looking to sign in the summer, cheap or not.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2022 9:45]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 09:49 - Feb 27 with 2572 viewsBloomBlue

At the moment he's a L1 level player if he was Championship level striker he would he playing for QPR. Players at L1 level will be inconsistent. Pigott is another example, had a great season last season 20+ goals, barn door this season.
You have to accept that inconsistency at this level.
I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 10:13 - Feb 27 with 2494 viewsAsa

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 09:49 - Feb 27 by BloomBlue

At the moment he's a L1 level player if he was Championship level striker he would he playing for QPR. Players at L1 level will be inconsistent. Pigott is another example, had a great season last season 20+ goals, barn door this season.
You have to accept that inconsistency at this level.

There’s clear truth that nobody at this level is brilliant at everything all of the time. Take Burns. If his decision making and delivery was anything above random then he’d be a top end Championship player.

However with good strikers at this level they don’t go long without scoring. Ross Stewart went five or six and then started banging them in again. You can argue a Bonne may be able to go patches without scoring but his other work is vital but he’s stopped doing that too.

No League One striker is going to have a terrific all round game but plenty of players we can attract that we would expect to get 20-25 goals in this system and that has to be the summer prior. Sadly think Bonnes chance to be that man, something that looked very likely a few months ago, has now passed. Would have been proper Roy of the Rovers if he’d carried on even at 1 in 3 after that original purple patch but the over almost half a seasons he has a solitary unmissable tap in from a few yards out at Gillingham.
I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 10:17 - Feb 27 with 2469 viewsDubtractor

Just watching the highlights now - that missed header from the rebound of Morsy's shot. Goodness me, that's an extraordinary miss!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 10:25 - Feb 27 with 2436 viewsAsa

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 10:17 - Feb 27 by Dubtractor

Just watching the highlights now - that missed header from the rebound of Morsy's shot. Goodness me, that's an extraordinary miss!

He’s had a couple of those this season.

I gave him the benefit there. Happened very quickly and he was only a couple of yards away. I’m far more concerned with the second half one straight at the keeper from six yards when he had most of the goal to win at.

Would have loved him to have been the hero yesterday.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2022 10:25]
I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 12:24 - Feb 27 with 2248 viewsitfcjoe

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 10:13 - Feb 27 by Asa

There’s clear truth that nobody at this level is brilliant at everything all of the time. Take Burns. If his decision making and delivery was anything above random then he’d be a top end Championship player.

However with good strikers at this level they don’t go long without scoring. Ross Stewart went five or six and then started banging them in again. You can argue a Bonne may be able to go patches without scoring but his other work is vital but he’s stopped doing that too.

No League One striker is going to have a terrific all round game but plenty of players we can attract that we would expect to get 20-25 goals in this system and that has to be the summer prior. Sadly think Bonnes chance to be that man, something that looked very likely a few months ago, has now passed. Would have been proper Roy of the Rovers if he’d carried on even at 1 in 3 after that original purple patch but the over almost half a seasons he has a solitary unmissable tap in from a few yards out at Gillingham.

“ but plenty of players we can attract that we would expect to get 20-25 goals in this system and that has to be the summer prior.”

You would have said this last summer, and then we signed Pigott and Bonne and sure everyone thought we had recruited well and had done that. And now we sit here and say we will find them again this summer.

Fans on phone in saying sign Cole Stockton - if we’d have done that over Pigott last season everyone would have been very disappointed

I trust McKenna knows the type of striker he wants, and the profile of player he wants - but it’s not like there are any sure things sitting out there waiting to be signed. I’ve got Ross Stewart at 33/1 to be top scorer this season, that shows where he was rated in the summer

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 13:21 - Feb 27 with 2099 viewsElephantintheRoom

Perhaps he is in form now - ie showing how useless he is. QPR don’t want him after all. That run of goal scoring might have been a fluke. Even Chopra and Murphy got the mythical 20 goals a season once in their careers.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 13:54 - Feb 27 with 2043 viewsmarchy

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 13:21 - Feb 27 by ElephantintheRoom

Perhaps he is in form now - ie showing how useless he is. QPR don’t want him after all. That run of goal scoring might have been a fluke. Even Chopra and Murphy got the mythical 20 goals a season once in their careers.

Have a day off mate.
I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 14:09 - Feb 27 with 1995 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If Bonne can recover his early season form now, we will make the play-offs to put a different slant on this. Small margins make the difference to form too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 14:27 - Feb 27 with 1957 viewsAsa

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 12:24 - Feb 27 by itfcjoe

“ but plenty of players we can attract that we would expect to get 20-25 goals in this system and that has to be the summer prior.”

You would have said this last summer, and then we signed Pigott and Bonne and sure everyone thought we had recruited well and had done that. And now we sit here and say we will find them again this summer.

Fans on phone in saying sign Cole Stockton - if we’d have done that over Pigott last season everyone would have been very disappointed

I trust McKenna knows the type of striker he wants, and the profile of player he wants - but it’s not like there are any sure things sitting out there waiting to be signed. I’ve got Ross Stewart at 33/1 to be top scorer this season, that shows where he was rated in the summer

When you look at Michael Smith and Matty Taylor for example, as well as a couple of others, they are players that you know will guarantee you goals when you play to their strengths. The issue is Cook signing players that don’t fit the McKenna way.

Nobody would have thought Alfie May or Stockton would have done as well as they have, but certainly there will be players around that we can identify that we know will get goals. Bonne was one I’d have backed to get 20 goals and for half the season he was on course.

Stewart is another one that has surprised but, in a side like Sunderland, was in with a chance.

I’d imagine we will be shopping in the proven League One, but not quite lighting it up in the Championship market or using analysis to try and identify the next big thing. Piggott always seemed like it was a case of he got loads of goals last year and we could attract him - rather than being convinced he’d suit what even Cook wanted.
I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 14:59 - Feb 27 with 1896 viewsDarth_Koont

I’ve never known a player so out of form as Bonne on 07:55 - Feb 27 by Asa

I thought that previously but elaborating on your strikers post it seems very strange where we are.

We are dominating teams and carving them apart and the number of chances and big chances and corners that you mentioned are all there.

We managed a 1-0 win against Doncaster despite about 19 chances, couldn’t score against Cheltenham and managed to finally beat their (albeit inspired) keeper eventually yesterday wasting loads more chances.

Aluko has scored in one match, Morsy hasn’t scored yet, Celina hasn’t got anywhere near as many as I’d thought. Lots of fine tuning from McKenna that end of the pitch and I’m wondering if we are just unlucky.

We could have scored six yesterday, four Tuesday and five at Doncaster. So many promising signs now that we are a hell of a team apart from the summer focus which will no doubt be prolific players who can flourish in this system.

I agree, when we aren’t creating the chances we worry. Just bizarre that at the start of the season we were scoring for fun and not exactly creating chance after chance. We seemed to play some nice stuff until the final third but then be so clinical. McKenna has worked wonders but one striker in form (instead of 7 goals in 76 combined appearances) and we sit in the playoffs right now.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2022 7:57]

In and around the box our forward play has been fairly odd and inconsistent all season. About the only thing that works is the Donacien/Burns overlap or ball inside the left back.

That stuttering upfront was clearly a massive problem for Cook because his preferred style was much more about being on the front foot and getting players in the attacking third. It’s not as much of a problem for McKenna because he’s got an extra player or two attacking from deeper but also covering ourselves from the sucker punch (yesterday aside).

But we need to solve this lack of finishing edge over the remaining games. Especially if we’re going to get through the play-offs where scoring chances (and taking them) will likely be at a premium.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024