Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stockton 10:23 - Feb 27 with 2325 viewsAsa

Having seen him twice live this season, especially yesterday when Morecambe had almost nothing going forward, he seems like the perfect player for McKenna’s system as a focal point.

He can clearly score tap ins and make goals for himself out of nothing. But what was impressive has been his work rate, how many defenders he occupied by himself and his hold up play, intelligence and vision was great.

Bonus point also that he didn’t sh*t-house his way through the match.

I get that Pigott was as good for a similar side last season but Pig seems to be more of a get on the end of a barrage of crosses type at Wimbledon. Stockton has reminded me a little bit of Stewart and Counago at times in that he’d be quite happy to thrive in a possession based side.

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if he’s made his way onto the summer shopping list, although have a feeling we may target players even further along with the resources we have.
Stockton on 14:33 - Feb 27 with 2097 viewsMillsey

Said we should go for him in the transfer window and got put down by some know all lol
[Redacted] on 14:39 - Feb 27 with 2066 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Stockton on 14:49 - Feb 27 with 2020 viewsDarth_Koont

Yeah, he looked very good. Although generally he had a bit more space than our strikers as he got the ball when they were breaking forward. But agree that he looks useful and should be on our list somewhere – even if we scrape promotion.

Part of that I think is his confidence and fearlessness. On a related note, Pigott just hasn’t got that at the moment. He gets into good positions and then the ball gets stuck in his feet or he’s a little slow and the defender challenges him.

I’d like to think that he can still turn things around at Town. Pigott’s had lots of cameos but in another sense he really hasn’t had much time to settle. In fact, he’s looked no worse than our other forwards generally just never had a few goals or a standout performance to elevate him.

Pronouns: He/Him

Stockton on 14:59 - Feb 27 with 1965 viewsjayessess

Didn't think much of him really. Second half the game got stretched and he had a few nice touches but nothing terribly threatening and he did even less in the first half. Second top league one striker in a row who's spent most of the game in Woolfie's pocket.

We also don't have a great track record with this profile of signing.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2022 13:20]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Stockton on 15:10 - Feb 27 with 1919 viewsAsa

[Redacted] on 14:39 - Feb 27 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

On the basis of Morecambe having the worst minutes to goals against ratio, I’d hazard a guess that yesterday was one of the games of his life and not the norm.

If that had been Stockdale we’d have scored 9!
Stockton on 15:15 - Feb 27 with 1907 viewsITFC_Forever

27. Done little of note until this season.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Stockton on 15:25 - Feb 27 with 1876 viewsAsa

Stockton on 15:15 - Feb 27 by ITFC_Forever

27. Done little of note until this season.

Which is exactly why I’d have been underwhelmed if we’d signed him in the summer.

However, in his prime now and having proven he can do it at this level, then he’d be a decent option but I’d like to think we are looking more towards younger players with a higher ceiling.

But ultimately if he fits McKenna’s system we need to get out of the division by any means even if it’s players that can’t do it in the Championship.

Worth remembering Murphy had done very little until he was 31-32 and then just become an absolute beast at Championship level over the next few years. Sometimes it happens.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2022 15:31]
Stockton on 21:27 - Feb 27 with 1554 viewsBigCommon

Not knocking Stockton, he's done well this season and he looks as strong as an Ox... Couple of things that would concern me though.. Firstly, could he play in a KM system? Has he played in similar systems before? It's a bit of a punt, to assume he could, imo...(Although I'm not saying he couldn't).... 2nd, and more importantly for me. Playing in front of home crowds of less than 5k, for a newly promoted side, that aren't expected to achieve great things in L1. Is, imo, a different challenge, to playing in front of 20k plus, very expectant fans, every home game. Which, obviously , brings with it, a whole , different level of pressure... I'm pretty sure we'll see another striker in the Summer... I'm hoping its someone already proven, in the challenges, that need to be met.... It'll be a massive signing, in terms of importance, given that , the striker role, is probably the missing piece of the jigsaw, right now.. As good as he is at L1 level. I'd still consider Stockton as a bit of a "buy it and try it" kind of signing... Just my op'..
Login to get fewer ads

Stockton on 09:56 - Feb 28 with 1255 viewsVaughan8

I think we need to learn our lesson of signing people on one decent season.

Having watched him at Tranmere many times, apart from a purple patch towards the end of one season in the National League, he was largely useless.

Admittingly I'm very surprised he has scored so many this season and has had a good season. However, lets not forget he was behind Norwood (and andy Cook) at Tranmere.

I would say avoid!
Stockton on 11:22 - Feb 28 with 1117 viewstractordownsouth

Stockton on 15:25 - Feb 27 by Asa

Which is exactly why I’d have been underwhelmed if we’d signed him in the summer.

However, in his prime now and having proven he can do it at this level, then he’d be a decent option but I’d like to think we are looking more towards younger players with a higher ceiling.

But ultimately if he fits McKenna’s system we need to get out of the division by any means even if it’s players that can’t do it in the Championship.

Worth remembering Murphy had done very little until he was 31-32 and then just become an absolute beast at Championship level over the next few years. Sometimes it happens.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2022 15:31]

Wasn't that the same with Pigott though? 27 and only 1 good season of goalscoring.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Stockton on 11:25 - Feb 28 with 1100 viewshype313

He was ok, but he will be 28 by the summer, and his record isn't overly prolific.

Would imagine we would want a higher calibre of striker in the summer.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Stockton on 18:40 - Feb 28 with 807 viewsAsa

Stockton on 11:22 - Feb 28 by tractordownsouth

Wasn't that the same with Pigott though? 27 and only 1 good season of goalscoring.

Stockton wouldn’t be top of my list. We can do better.

But given a few have suggested him as an option was simply of the opinion that Stockton would do well, in my view, in our system from what I’ve seen of him with the likes of Celina (likely not here), Chaplin and Aluko (who hopefully stays) whereas Piggott - the same sort of pedigree doesn’t fit McKenna and I didn’t really feel suited Cook either.

There’s always a massive risk of the back of one good year and more players will be Parkins than Murphys but Stockton has impressed me enough I’d be inclined to think he’s a low level risk wages and transfer fee wise that he might be closer to the latter.

Saying that, with our funds and ambition I’d be very disappointed if Stockton was THE man come the summer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024