Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RTs been taken off the air then 15:53 - Mar 2 with 3044 viewsBent_double

I was just sitting here, watching RT to get an honest, balanced view of what's going on in the world - especially how innocent civilians have been decapitated by the evil Ukrainian government and how NATO has caused all the problems in Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq and now Ukraine, just so they can launch an 'unanswerable' attack on Russia - and suddenly the channel disappears, scrambled or unavailable, apparently.

What is the world coming to? Where am I going to get a fair and balanced view on the current situation now, apart from TWTD of course...

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

RTs been taken off the air then on 15:57 - Mar 2 with 2307 viewsBrianTablet

It's being replaced by the launch of Woodbridge Estate Agent News.
Closely followed by Copdock Tesco Today.

Def info. Curbs told me.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

RTs been taken off the air then on 16:05 - Mar 2 with 2232 viewsBloomBlue

Maybe attend a Stop the War meeting ?
RTs been taken off the air then on 16:10 - Mar 2 with 2201 viewsDarth_Koont

RTs been taken off the air then on 16:05 - Mar 2 by BloomBlue

On a thread rightfully critical of RT’s bias and propaganda, you weigh in with your own smeary bias and propaganda.

Seems about right.

Pronouns: He/Him

RTs been taken off the air then on 16:22 - Mar 2 with 2154 viewsLord_Lucan

That's a mistake IMHO and will also lead to the BBC being taken off air in Russia - which I believe was still on as of this morning.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

RTs been taken off the air then on 16:22 - Mar 2 with 2140 viewsJ2BLUE

RTs been taken off the air then on 16:22 - Mar 2 by Lord_Lucan

That's a mistake IMHO and will also lead to the BBC being taken off air in Russia - which I believe was still on as of this morning.

Are you sure? They seem to be shutting down all outside news.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

RTs been taken off the air then on 16:29 - Mar 2 with 2094 viewsLord_Lucan

RTs been taken off the air then on 16:22 - Mar 2 by J2BLUE

Are you sure? They seem to be shutting down all outside news.

Well it was definitely on yesterday afternoon - according to shelagh fogarty

The version they would get isn't the same as in your living room, for example, it wouldn't broadcast "Putin is fecking bonkers and has sent indiscriminate missiles into a residential area of Kiev slaughtering 106 innocent people" but probably something like "A Russian missile attack is confirmed to have killed 106 people in Kiev"

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

RTs been taken off the air then on 16:39 - Mar 2 with 2059 viewsnoggin

RTs been taken off the air then on 16:05 - Mar 2 by BloomBlue

What's wrong with being anti war? I get the impression you see it as something to mock.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

RTs been taken off the air then on 16:57 - Mar 2 with 1991 viewsBlueBadger

RTs been taken off the air then on 16:22 - Mar 2 by Lord_Lucan

They've been banning foreign journos for quite some time now.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/31/banned-bbc-journalist-says-russia-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/04/russia-expels-dutch-journalist-tom

https://www.politico.eu/article/moscow-bans-deutsche-welle-from-operating-in-rus
[Post edited 2 Mar 2022 16:59]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

RTs been taken off the air then on 17:18 - Mar 2 with 1920 viewsDarth_Koont

RTs been taken off the air then on 16:39 - Mar 2 by noggin

What's wrong with being anti war? I get the impression you see it as something to mock.

Indeed.

It’s like mocking people who want gun control in the US. And saying that they don’t understand that guns are needed to protect or, even worse, accusing them of being on the side of the criminals.

RTs been taken off the air then on 17:24 - Mar 2 with 1889 viewsXYZ

RTs been taken off the air then on 16:29 - Mar 2 by Lord_Lucan

Well it was definitely on yesterday afternoon - according to shelagh fogarty

The version they would get isn't the same as in your living room, for example, it wouldn't broadcast "Putin is fecking bonkers and has sent indiscriminate missiles into a residential area of Kiev slaughtering 106 innocent people" but probably something like "A Russian missile attack is confirmed to have killed 106 people in Kiev"

The BBC have, I believe, recommenced broadcasting into Russia on short wave.

Old school.
RTs been taken off the air then on 17:40 - Mar 2 with 1828 viewsWD19

RTs been taken off the air then on 17:18 - Mar 2 by Darth_Koont

Indeed.

It’s like mocking people who want gun control in the US. And saying that they don’t understand that guns are needed to protect or, even worse, accusing them of being on the side of the criminals.

No, it is not like that at all.

I have seen nobody on here who is against stopping wars.

Some people just think that surrendering is not always the best long term exit strategy from conflict.
RTs been taken off the air then on 17:51 - Mar 2 with 1773 viewsDarth_Koont

RTs been taken off the air then on 17:40 - Mar 2 by WD19

No, it is not like that at all.

I have seen nobody on here who is against stopping wars.

Some people just think that surrendering is not always the best long term exit strategy from conflict.

It’s about stopping countries entering into conflict wherever possible. And certainly escalating them.

Once the invasion has happened is a different situation. Then there are certainly arguments for defending against attack. As there are arguments for a ceasefire as quickly as possible to prevent unnecessary deaths and to get to some political settlement somehow.

But I’ve certainly seen the arguments that military strength and interventions beyond the defensive are somehow an extra defence which I just don’t buy.

RTs been taken off the air then on 17:52 - Mar 2 with 1765 viewslowhouseblue

RTs been taken off the air then on 16:39 - Mar 2 by noggin

the problem is false equivalence. the false line that responsibility lies with nato and the west. real pacifists wouldn't parrot russian propaganda such as that.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

RTs been taken off the air then on 17:59 - Mar 2 with 1728 viewsDarth_Koont

RTs been taken off the air then on 17:52 - Mar 2 by lowhouseblue

the problem is false equivalence. the false line that responsibility lies with nato and the west. real pacifists wouldn't parrot russian propaganda such as that.

You parrot that line when it’s blatantly an exaggeration.

The anti-war movement in the UK is to lobby against the UK and its allies entering into the conflict because that doesn’t feel like any solution in the short or long-term either. Just like the Russian anti-war movement is aimed at its government and the real instigators of this.

You disagree with the philosophy but stop pretending that being critical and wanting to hold our own government and side in check from a belligerent response is putting them at the same level as Putin or somehow excusing his plans.

RTs been taken off the air then on 18:02 - Mar 2 with 1698 viewspositivity

RTs been taken off the air then on 17:59 - Mar 2 by Darth_Koont

The anti-war movement in the UK is to lobby against the UK and its allies entering into the conflict because that doesn’t feel like any solution in the short or long-term either. Just like the Russian anti-war movement is aimed at its government and the real instigators of this.

You disagree with the philosophy but stop pretending that being critical and wanting to hold our own government and side in check from a belligerent response is putting them at the same level as Putin or somehow excusing his plans.

have stop the war got a position on what they think the west should do right now? genuine question

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

RTs been taken off the air then on 18:11 - Mar 2 with 1660 viewsDarth_Koont

RTs been taken off the air then on 18:02 - Mar 2 by positivity

have stop the war got a position on what they think the west should do right now? genuine question

I believe they’re against escalation and foolhardy measures like a No Fly Zone. As far as I’m aware it’s to avoid more conflict at all costs and get to a political settlement as soon as possible.

I don’t know if that’s possible or not because of how far this has gone. But the standoff with NATO certainly suggests they don’t see a simple resolution by getting involved either. Unless we give into the more hawkish, belligerent voices.

At the core, there’s the principal belief that you never really win a war given the cost in lives. In that sense Stop The War and others are an important counter-balance to a prevalent opinion in the UK and the US that you can, indeed that wars are there to be won.

RTs been taken off the air then on 18:18 - Mar 2 with 1625 viewsfactual_blue

Mine arrived today.

I don't see how banning the Radio Times helps anybody. Particularly as Mrs Factual particularly enjoys the codeword puzzle, and I like reading the letters mad people send it.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

RTs been taken off the air then on 18:19 - Mar 2 with 1610 viewsNthsuffolkblue

RTs been taken off the air then on 18:18 - Mar 2 by factual_blue

Mine arrived today.

I don't see how banning the Radio Times helps anybody. Particularly as Mrs Factual particularly enjoys the codeword puzzle, and I like reading the letters mad people send it.

It's a radical publication, Facters. You only don't realise it because of how indoctrinated you are. There is a lot of pressure on the Government to defund the organisation that produces it.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

RTs been taken off the air then on 18:25 - Mar 2 with 1581 viewspositivity

RTs been taken off the air then on 18:11 - Mar 2 by Darth_Koont

I believe they’re against escalation and foolhardy measures like a No Fly Zone. As far as I’m aware it’s to avoid more conflict at all costs and get to a political settlement as soon as possible.

I don’t know if that’s possible or not because of how far this has gone. But the standoff with NATO certainly suggests they don’t see a simple resolution by getting involved either. Unless we give into the more hawkish, belligerent voices.

At the core, there’s the principal belief that you never really win a war given the cost in lives. In that sense Stop The War and others are an important counter-balance to a prevalent opinion in the UK and the US that you can, indeed that wars are there to be won.

ok, being against the no fly zone is pretty aligned with nato & the eu anyway

i think it's good to have them before we get to this stage, but right now they're better off channelling their energy and resources into humanitarian aid. just can't see what they hope to achieve

RTs been taken off the air then on 18:37 - Mar 2 with 1539 viewsDarth_Koont

RTs been taken off the air then on 18:25 - Mar 2 by positivity

ok, being against the no fly zone is pretty aligned with nato & the eu anyway

i think it's good to have them before we get to this stage, but right now they're better off channelling their energy and resources into humanitarian aid. just can't see what they hope to achieve

Sure, it’s difficult to see what anyone can hope to achieve. And certainly the message is an important counterbalance (or should be allowed to be without the misrepresentations) to those who think there’s something to achieve by going in.

Stop The War is also a movement that’s 20 years old. It exists to keep pushing that message of pacifism and non-intervention that we’re still struggling to learn from.

RTs been taken off the air then on 19:26 - Mar 2 with 1397 viewslowhouseblue

"wanting to hold our own government and side in check from a belligerent response"

which exact bit of the uk /nato response to date do you disagree with?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

RTs been taken off the air then on 19:26 - Mar 2 with 1397 viewsNthsuffolkblue

RTs been taken off the air then on 18:37 - Mar 2 by Darth_Koont

Sure, it’s difficult to see what anyone can hope to achieve. And certainly the message is an important counterbalance (or should be allowed to be without the misrepresentations) to those who think there’s something to achieve by going in.

Stop The War is also a movement that’s 20 years old. It exists to keep pushing that message of pacifism and non-intervention that we’re still struggling to learn from.

Whilst wanting peace is a great aim that I am sure the vast majority want, would the movement "Stop the War" promote unilateral nuclear disarmament? Isn't that something that Ukraine has done and quite probably emboldened Putin to invade? OK, I get the flip side that had they not done so and Putin had still invaded we might already be looking at nukes having been fired and this being even worse than it already is.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

RTs been taken off the air then on 20:09 - Mar 2 with 1323 viewsjeera

Although I wanted to see the channel removed here it wasn't a UK decision according to Ch.4 news earlier.

But an EU one or something.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

RTs been taken off the air then on 22:56 - Mar 2 with 1163 viewspositivity

RTs been taken off the air then on 18:37 - Mar 2 by Darth_Koont

apologies for the long quote, but this is exactly where stop the war should be channelling their energies right now:-

At Greenpeace we condemn the unprovoked and illegal war being conducted by the Russian government in Ukraine, and call on President Putin to immediately pull back his forces and cease military operations. Our thoughts are with the people caught up in the crossfire or driven from their homes.

As our screens are flooded with images of war, and in a week when the IPCC Climate Report has given an even graver verdict on the climate crisis it’s hard not to want to bury our heads in the sand. [2] But this is precisely the moment when we must come together and join as one united voice against injustice and for peace.

Here are some of the ways you can help Ukraine and the Ukrainian people right now:

1. Support organisations working on the frontline

Organisations working on the ground are best placed to help people affected by war, and these organisations are and will be in need of support as the crisis continues. The International Medical Corps is on the ground in Ukraine providing emergency medical relief services - you can support them here. Nova Ukraine is delivering aid packages to people with everything from baby food and hygiene products, to clothes and household supplies - you can support them here. The Committee to Protect Journalists is calling for support for journalists - accurate information is never more important than in a crisis - you can support them here.

2. Support refugees and people seeking asylum

War has and continues to destroy the lives of people across the world. Wars in the Middle East, Africa, South America and Asia have forced millions to flee their homes and seek refuge like we are now seeing in Ukraine. [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] We must open our arms to all people seeking refuge from war and oppression across the world. [8] [9] While the government must continue to do more to support refugees from Ukraine and other war torn countries, we can also help. There are many organisations here in the UK who continue to support refugees and asylum seekers, if you’re able to you can volunteer for Refugee Action here and the Refugee Council here, help house refugees with Room for Refugees here and Refugees at Home here. If you’re unable to help in this way you can make your voice heard against the war in Ukraine by joining a Stand with Ukraine protest.

3. Come together for peace and solidarity

In times like these we must stay together and close to people around us. But above all, we must remain hopeful that the solidarity between people across the world who are striving for peace will triumph over the destructive forces of war as it has done many times before. If you are looking for something to reignite feelings of hope online or in group chats, share the links above with your friends and family and let them know that we are not powerless in the face of this conflict and can still support the forces of good. You can also share this image and spread our message of peace.

The climate crisis and where our energy comes from has been a major talking point of the war in Ukraine and our government has started an urgent review of our reliance on Russian gas and energy. This is yet another sign that our over-reliance on fossil fuels is leading us to ruin. We must rapidly transition to clean, sustainable renewable energy so fossil fuels are no longer used as chess-pieces in war. [10]

At Greenpeace we will continue to show solidarity with the Ukrainian people and all those across the world who are facing oppression in the face of destructive wars that they want no part in. We will continue to promote peace and dialogue and our opposition to war in all its forms. People and the planet must come first as we build a peaceful, safer and more sustainable future.

In solidarity,

Pat Venditti on behalf of Greenpeace UK

RTs been taken off the air then on 23:08 - Mar 2 with 1129 viewsGlasgowBlue

They aren’t going to be very successful at lobbying if they shut the press and public out of their meetings.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024