Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The difference in managers! 21:39 - Mar 5 with 1889 viewsVic

Maybe other mangers d changed things during a match to affect the way the team played, but they never explained it like KM does. I just love this little insight to his thinking as the game is play8ng out:

“We felt like we needed that extra little link through the middle of the pitch with Santi [Celina] and Conor [Chaplin] in those pockets and also we wanted to get Sam able to run off a little bit higher and make the box, which he’s starting to add more and more to his game.

“Ty [Bakinson] came on and made a really good impact, the players all slotted into their roles.

“Good to be able to change our balance and our attacking structure in between games because it gives us that threat and I thought the players showed really good understanding by the way they adapted to that change so quickly.”

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

The difference in managers! on 22:19 - Mar 5 with 1736 viewsbackwaywhen

We have certainly unearthed a gem in KM , which makes a pleasant change from some of the dross we have had in charge in recent years ….. COYBs
The difference in managers! on 22:26 - Mar 5 with 1713 viewsSwansea_Blue

The big difference between McKenna and all of our previous managers stretching back at least as far as Magilton is that he actually sounds as though he knows what he’s talking about. I can’t believe experienced managers like Mick and Cook didn’t understand the game, so why does McK stand out so much? Did the others just hold pressers in contempt? Were they poorer communicators? Or maybe they weren’t actually as good (easy to believe with Cook, less so with Mick)? No idea, but McK just gets it and can explain it.

The last time I heard something similar was in Rodgers’ time down here with the Swans. If he’s as good as that and we go on a similar journey, that’ll do me nicely.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2022 22:32]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The difference in managers! on 22:45 - Mar 5 with 1638 viewsBigCommon

I think he enjoys explaining it. It's the "School teacher" in him.. And he probably dumbs it right down, for the benefit of us mere mortals.... Can't wait until he gets one or two more, of his own players in the building.. I'm sure he gets frustrated , when a current player, can't quite do, exactly what he wants them to do.... Sam's "training ground goal", would have pleased him, I'm sure... When the training repetition comes off like that, in a match.. It can only galvanise, the players belief and confidence, in KM and what he's trying to do.. More so after a couple of dodgy results. Which could soon have players doubting themselves and their manager, should those dodgy results persist....
The difference in managers! on 23:11 - Mar 5 with 1562 viewsjeera

The difference in managers! on 22:26 - Mar 5 by Swansea_Blue

The big difference between McKenna and all of our previous managers stretching back at least as far as Magilton is that he actually sounds as though he knows what he’s talking about. I can’t believe experienced managers like Mick and Cook didn’t understand the game, so why does McK stand out so much? Did the others just hold pressers in contempt? Were they poorer communicators? Or maybe they weren’t actually as good (easy to believe with Cook, less so with Mick)? No idea, but McK just gets it and can explain it.

The last time I heard something similar was in Rodgers’ time down here with the Swans. If he’s as good as that and we go on a similar journey, that’ll do me nicely.

It's one thing having the knowledge isn't it, but quite another to be able to articulate it to others.

And if you can't do that verbally and you're also not fit enough to show them how it's done, then there's not much point.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The difference in managers! on 23:47 - Mar 5 with 1489 viewsChurchman

I think Mick and PC are quite ‘old school’ in their approach. Nothing wrong in that. They’ve been successful and it’s their way.

I get the impression with KM he really tunes in to players. I’ve noticed how people who’ve worked with him before make a beeline for him after games. He is very careful with his words and media savvy, which helps. You need that in 2022. Just look at how Klopp and Guardiola use it.

I’m sure he enjoys a good teacup hurl, but I get the impression he’s careful who is around when he does. Appearing even tempered is a great skill.

The players seem happy above all. KM is going to get it wrong sometimes. There’s lots to do and learn, but given the club is developing a modern structure he’s in a good place to do it, providing he and his family settle in the area. He’s made a great start.
The difference in managers! on 09:08 - Mar 6 with 1118 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The difference in managers! on 23:47 - Mar 5 by Churchman

I think Mick and PC are quite ‘old school’ in their approach. Nothing wrong in that. They’ve been successful and it’s their way.

I get the impression with KM he really tunes in to players. I’ve noticed how people who’ve worked with him before make a beeline for him after games. He is very careful with his words and media savvy, which helps. You need that in 2022. Just look at how Klopp and Guardiola use it.

I’m sure he enjoys a good teacup hurl, but I get the impression he’s careful who is around when he does. Appearing even tempered is a great skill.

The players seem happy above all. KM is going to get it wrong sometimes. There’s lots to do and learn, but given the club is developing a modern structure he’s in a good place to do it, providing he and his family settle in the area. He’s made a great start.

KM is the way forward.

MM's approach no longer works for the fans and that will be reflected in any job offers.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

The difference in managers! on 09:34 - Mar 6 with 1085 viewsGuthrum

Brendan Rodgers, who got his first full Manager's role at Watford, where a certain Mark Ashton was Chief Exec.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The difference in managers! on 13:00 - Mar 6 with 971 viewsTractorFrog

Mick McCarthy was not a bad manager. He vastly improved the team after Jewell and the team vastly declined when he was replaced by Hurst. McKenna is the first good manager we've had since Magilton, apart from Mick who was good too.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

Login to get fewer ads

The difference in managers! on 14:33 - Mar 6 with 901 viewsOldsmoker

I like the way he changes things too.
Other managers did change things at half-time.
MM always changed from Hoof to Hoof harder.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The difference in managers! on 15:05 - Mar 6 with 877 viewsFrimleyBlue

The difference in managers! on 14:33 - Mar 6 by Oldsmoker

I just want to see us out of league 1 as the potential of a side under KM in the championship is something I can't wait to see. The way he wants the side to play screams top level and some our play over the past 3 games is on par with what you watch at lunchtime on a Saturday.

When I watched Fulham yesturday there are alot of similarities. I think this is the first time in many seasons where I could actually see us competing in the championship rather than nervous that we'd become a yo yo side from league 1.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

The difference in managers! on 16:52 - Mar 6 with 829 viewstractorshark

The difference in managers! on 14:33 - Mar 6 by Oldsmoker

I think that’s a little unfair on McCarthy.

I’m a massive fan of McKenna and his brand of football is light years ahead of McCarthy’s, so I’m definitely not arguing against that.

But it’s harsh to suggest McCarthy wasn’t tactically sound. He was a good tactician, it’s just his tactics weren’t crowd pleasing and are certainly looking more and more outdated now.

McCarthy’s whole ethos was to stop the opposition and play percentage football. In fairness he was pretty successful at it with Ipswich. He took us to the Championship playoffs and you’d bite your hand off for that right now.

But much as it wasn’t pretty, he was far more tactically astute than Cook, Lambert, Hurst, Jewell, Keane and even Magilton.

And when you look at it like that, you can see why McKenna stands out as a shining light.
The difference in managers! on 17:54 - Mar 6 with 776 viewsOldsmoker

The difference in managers! on 15:05 - Mar 6 by FrimleyBlue

I just want to see us out of league 1 as the potential of a side under KM in the championship is something I can't wait to see. The way he wants the side to play screams top level and some our play over the past 3 games is on par with what you watch at lunchtime on a Saturday.

When I watched Fulham yesturday there are alot of similarities. I think this is the first time in many seasons where I could actually see us competing in the championship rather than nervous that we'd become a yo yo side from league 1.

I too see us competing in the championship under McKenna because he has what it takes to succeed. He's canny enough to put a team out that can stifle the opposition but still create chances for ourselves.
Under Cook, there were games where we didn't even have a shot let alone one on target. Those days are gone and it's the same players. There are many times in a match where I automatically think "that's going backwards" but instead the pass is forwards. That's McKennas influence right there.

The difference in managers! on 18:09 - Mar 6 with 731 viewsjeera

The difference in managers! on 16:52 - Mar 6 by tractorshark

I’m a massive fan of McKenna and his brand of football is light years ahead of McCarthy’s, so I’m definitely not arguing against that.

But it’s harsh to suggest McCarthy wasn’t tactically sound. He was a good tactician, it’s just his tactics weren’t crowd pleasing and are certainly looking more and more outdated now.

McCarthy’s whole ethos was to stop the opposition and play percentage football. In fairness he was pretty successful at it with Ipswich. He took us to the Championship playoffs and you’d bite your hand off for that right now.

But much as it wasn’t pretty, he was far more tactically astute than Cook, Lambert, Hurst, Jewell, Keane and even Magilton.

And when you look at it like that, you can see why McKenna stands out as a shining light.

People are sometimes very selective when they speak of Mick and have seemingly forgotten his game wasn't always like that.

I don't know what's going on with OldSmoker, who is usually a well-balanced kind of chap.

He's been a bit ratty since he moved home.

I think he misses the old kebab house if I'm honest.

The difference in managers! on 19:01 - Mar 6 with 678 viewsOldsmoker

The difference in managers! on 18:09 - Mar 6 by jeera

People are sometimes very selective when they speak of Mick and have seemingly forgotten his game wasn't always like that.

I don't know what's going on with OldSmoker, who is usually a well-balanced kind of chap.

He's been a bit ratty since he moved home.

I think he misses the old kebab house if I'm honest.

I think you're right.
However, most of my recent visits have been whilst I'm slightly tipsy.
I never get drunk 'cos I fall asleep first.
B4 I moved I was on the ground floor with a garden and now I'm on the top floor (4th) with a view of a tree with no leaves (It's winter).
The nearest convenience store is a mile away and the take aways are all hipster £7.50 burger bars.
The Jason Doner Van has moved as well. He was doing a tour of the major cities during lockdown and choosing the SW area with the least restrictions.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/meet-man-behind-legendary-jaso

This flat complex is for retired people and I'm 67. There are 15 women and just 3 blokes and I'm their 'young man' (Harry Enfield). I'm being sexually harrassed so I'm obviously taking it out on the people that I love - TWTD.

I'll try and behave from now on but that Sheila with the large chest might kidnap me and smother me to death in her flat (I wish).

The difference in managers! on 19:12 - Mar 6 with 659 viewsjeera

The difference in managers! on 19:01 - Mar 6 by Oldsmoker

I think you're right.
However, most of my recent visits have been whilst I'm slightly tipsy.
I never get drunk 'cos I fall asleep first.
B4 I moved I was on the ground floor with a garden and now I'm on the top floor (4th) with a view of a tree with no leaves (It's winter).
The nearest convenience store is a mile away and the take aways are all hipster £7.50 burger bars.
The Jason Doner Van has moved as well. He was doing a tour of the major cities during lockdown and choosing the SW area with the least restrictions.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/meet-man-behind-legendary-jaso

This flat complex is for retired people and I'm 67. There are 15 women and just 3 blokes and I'm their 'young man' (Harry Enfield). I'm being sexually harrassed so I'm obviously taking it out on the people that I love - TWTD.

I'll try and behave from now on but that Sheila with the large chest might kidnap me and smother me to death in her flat (I wish).

67 is still rather young so it's no wonder you're being targeted.

You probably still have your own teeth too.

I am sorry to hear you're inconvenienced by not having the varied world food choices you had on your doorstep before. I would be irritated by that too to an extent.

On the plus side, you've probably just added another 5 years or more to your life!

I remember a local pub, (new manager), in the village where I used to live introduced burgers at £7.50. I think it was just a week before realising people were used to paying that for a plate of something with chips. Not just a sodding burger in a roll with nothing else.

The difference in managers! on 19:24 - Mar 6 with 640 viewsOldsmoker

The difference in managers! on 19:12 - Mar 6 by jeera

67 is still rather young so it's no wonder you're being targeted.

You probably still have your own teeth too.

I am sorry to hear you're inconvenienced by not having the varied world food choices you had on your doorstep before. I would be irritated by that too to an extent.

On the plus side, you've probably just added another 5 years or more to your life!

I remember a local pub, (new manager), in the village where I used to live introduced burgers at £7.50. I think it was just a week before realising people were used to paying that for a plate of something with chips. Not just a sodding burger in a roll with nothing else.

Only 7 teeth left but the left side matches top and bottom so I can chew.
Got a fantastic NHS false teeth smile though.
I thought if I went for the white beard long-hair Gandalf look they'd be put off - but no.
The clean shaven look puts off the LOTR lovers but attracts the dominatrix types, so Gandalf it is then.
Telling them I support Ipswich doesn't seem to put them off either.
I need help.

The difference in managers! on 19:48 - Mar 6 with 605 viewsVeggie

The difference in managers! on 16:52 - Mar 6 by tractorshark

God it was awful to watch though. KM has the team playing some lovely stuff.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024