Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Station Hotel Ipswich 21:55 - Mar 6 with 4801 viewsloftboy

Coming home from QPR yesterday I had a 45 minute wait for my connection to Lowestoft, went into the station hotel and had a couple of pints of Camden Hells, £6.50 per pint!! It’s cheaper than that in Camden.
Station Hotel Ipswich on 21:58 - Mar 6 with 3978 viewsSitfcB

Yeah probably the most expensive pub in Ipswich.

*not sponsored by Carlsberg.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Station Hotel Ipswich on 22:00 - Mar 6 with 3989 viewsJ2BLUE

Have a heart. They are probably just trying to rebuild after this:

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Station Hotel Ipswich on 08:13 - Mar 7 with 3473 viewsstringy

That's ridiculous - my brother emailed me last month when he found the first pint over £5 in one of his locals, and I grimaced at paying £6 in Cambridge for a pint of Adnams' Blackshore Stout, but that takes the hobnob
Station Hotel Ipswich on 08:27 - Mar 7 with 3410 viewsgtsb1966

I was in in a pub called The Wellington near Waterloo station last night and ordered a vegan burger and chips with a large glass of red twice and with the service charge, which I didn't see on the bottom of the menu, the bill was £52
Station Hotel Ipswich on 10:36 - Mar 7 with 3141 viewsbadadski

Station Hotel Ipswich on 08:27 - Mar 7 by gtsb1966

I was in in a pub called The Wellington near Waterloo station last night and ordered a vegan burger and chips with a large glass of red twice and with the service charge, which I didn't see on the bottom of the menu, the bill was £52

£5.30 for a shandy - pricing as off the scale.
Station Hotel Ipswich on 10:48 - Mar 7 with 3087 viewsstonojnr

Really ? Because the Camden brewery beer hall were charging 5.50 a pint, & 3 for a half a year ago. And prices will have risen since then, CO2 prices for pubs have soared for a start.

6.50 would be an average price for that kind of beer in alot of London pubs by now ime,definitely in restaurants maybe the more tourist area venues, but even two years ago I'd budget for £5 a pint of standard 4% cask ale in London and always add 10% for craft beer and avoid the more expensive bars.

For Ipswich it's expensive possibly but plenty are catching up, the Arcade had a couple of stronger abv craft beers on for £6+. The Spread Eagles tap takeovers are £5.50ish iirc, same at Three Wise Monkeys. And if you think you'll get a beer at the new Brewdog for much less than £6 you might be quite surprised.

Average cask beer price in Ipswich is over £4 now outside of a Wetherspoons of course.

But it's certainly escalating in prices around here to drink
Station Hotel Ipswich on 10:52 - Mar 7 with 3065 viewsBlueBadger

Station Hotel Ipswich on 10:36 - Mar 7 by badadski

£5.30 for a shandy - pricing as off the scale.

Thats expensive for a handy shandy, let alone a glass of it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Station Hotel Ipswich on 11:08 - Mar 7 with 3029 viewsLord_Lucan

I don't really register the cost of a pint in a pub as I never carry cash but I think it's usually about £4.50 ish isn't it?

I have though just looked at my bank after going to Soton v WHU last week with a customer and I might have to issue a profit warning, we only saw 10 mins of the game and spent most of it at the concourse bar

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

[Redacted] on 11:22 - Mar 7 with 2959 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Station Hotel Ipswich on 11:44 - Mar 7 with 2908 viewsbracknell_blue

Ah, the good old Welly. Used to drink there when I worked in Waterloo in the 80s. A colleague once went in and ordered 7 pints and paid for 6. When challenged by the barman he poured the beer from one glass into the others getting 6 full pints and one empty glass. "I paid for 6 because you only served me 6" is the sanitised version of the reply. I witnessed it and it was hilarious - the look on the barman's face was a picture.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Station Hotel Ipswich on 11:59 - Mar 7 with 2877 viewsLord_Lucan

Station Hotel Ipswich on 11:44 - Mar 7 by bracknell_blue

Ah, the good old Welly. Used to drink there when I worked in Waterloo in the 80s. A colleague once went in and ordered 7 pints and paid for 6. When challenged by the barman he poured the beer from one glass into the others getting 6 full pints and one empty glass. "I paid for 6 because you only served me 6" is the sanitised version of the reply. I witnessed it and it was hilarious - the look on the barman's face was a picture.

Ha ha

I used to drink in The Duke of Gloucester in Ipswich and the landlord was a nice bloke but ultimately a very tight scouser.

A pint was always a bit shallow so I used to always ask for "Nearly a pint of lager please"

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Station Hotel Ipswich on 12:04 - Mar 7 with 2856 viewsJakeITFC

I paid £14.95 for 5 pints (4x Heineken, 1x Moretti) in the Kings Arms in Fleetwood on Saturday, couldn't believe it.
Station Hotel Ipswich on 12:18 - Mar 7 with 2789 viewshype313

Station Hotel Ipswich on 12:04 - Mar 7 by JakeITFC

I paid £14.95 for 5 pints (4x Heineken, 1x Moretti) in the Kings Arms in Fleetwood on Saturday, couldn't believe it.

Was probably Fosters.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Station Hotel Ipswich on 12:27 - Mar 7 with 2755 viewsGuthrum

Station Hotel Ipswich on 11:59 - Mar 7 by Lord_Lucan

Ha ha

I used to drink in The Duke of Gloucester in Ipswich and the landlord was a nice bloke but ultimately a very tight scouser.

A pint was always a bit shallow so I used to always ask for "Nearly a pint of lager please"

In my student days several of us bought pewter tankards to drink out of (the rugby club had smashed all the glasses, so they were only serving in flimsy plastics). The barman used to fill them until the froth reached the top, but that meant you were only left with three-quarters of a pint of actual beer.

Mind you, it was about 80p, so not a disaster. And the eternally horrible "John Smiths Extra Smooth", barely worth drinking.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Station Hotel Ipswich on 12:42 - Mar 7 with 2703 viewsjontysnut

Station Hotel Ipswich on 11:44 - Mar 7 by bracknell_blue

I used to drink around Waterloo quite a bit at the same time - Kings Arms on Roupell St was a favourite.

A mate of mine used to ask if the barman get put a large scotch in his pint. If they said yes he reply 'well fill it up with beer then'.
Station Hotel Ipswich on 14:13 - Mar 7 with 2520 viewsfarkenhell

[Redacted] on 11:22 - Mar 7 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

I went on a stag do to Stockholm. I nearly cried when I received the credit card bill.
Station Hotel Ipswich on 15:09 - Mar 7 with 2457 viewsLord_Lucan

Station Hotel Ipswich on 14:13 - Mar 7 by farkenhell

I went on a stag do to Stockholm. I nearly cried when I received the credit card bill.

About 10 years ago I went on a two week holiday in Penang. Swear to God, as soon as I saw the prices of a pint I considered taking a 20 hour bus ride to Pattaya.

Station Hotel Ipswich on 15:22 - Mar 7 with 2409 viewshype313

Station Hotel Ipswich on 14:13 - Mar 7 by farkenhell

Likewise Copenhagen.

£80 to get into a club (but you did get a bottle of Vodka included..)

Only later was chatting with Danes that the Swedes go to Denmark for their booze run, like we used to do the Dover - Calais run, made me think how glad we didn't choose Stockholm...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Station Hotel Ipswich on 15:47 - Mar 7 with 2351 viewsRadlett_blue

Station Hotel Ipswich on 15:09 - Mar 7 by Lord_Lucan

About 10 years ago I went on a two week holiday in Penang. Swear to God, as soon as I saw the prices of a pint I considered taking a 20 hour bus ride to Pattaya.

Really? I haven't been to Malaysia for for 30 years & I loved Penang. The internet tells me it's only around £2:70 a pint. I know booze in Singapore has always been ruinously expensive.
Only €2 here in Tenerife, fortunately so I don't quibble over getting slightly less than a pint.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Station Hotel Ipswich on 15:53 - Mar 7 with 2329 viewsclive_baker

You've probably chosen the most unjustifiably expensive pubs in town there I'm afraid, and one of the more expensive beers within it I imagine.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Station Hotel Ipswich on 15:56 - Mar 7 with 2319 viewsJakeITFC

Station Hotel Ipswich on 15:53 - Mar 7 by clive_baker

You've probably chosen the most unjustifiably expensive pubs in town there I'm afraid, and one of the more expensive beers within it I imagine.

That has to be the most expensive pint in town (of a standard, non-craft offering).
Station Hotel Ipswich on 16:04 - Mar 7 with 2308 viewsLord_Lucan

Station Hotel Ipswich on 15:47 - Mar 7 by Radlett_blue

Really? I haven't been to Malaysia for for 30 years & I loved Penang. The internet tells me it's only around £2:70 a pint. I know booze in Singapore has always been ruinously expensive.
Only €2 here in Tenerife, fortunately so I don't quibble over getting slightly less than a pint.

100% the price was high, I can't remember but I think around £6 - £7, pretty sure it was January 2011. This was a hotel price but even when venturing out it was similar price. It's all a bit hazy but I think it was cheaper in George Town but it was a bit dodgy and everyone was advising us to go back to the tourist points

Must admit I wasn't keen on the whole place

Station Hotel Ipswich on 16:25 - Mar 7 with 2255 viewsjeera

Station Hotel Ipswich on 16:04 - Mar 7 by Lord_Lucan

100% the price was high, I can't remember but I think around £6 - £7, pretty sure it was January 2011. This was a hotel price but even when venturing out it was similar price. It's all a bit hazy but I think it was cheaper in George Town but it was a bit dodgy and everyone was advising us to go back to the tourist points

I went there 30 years ago and it was great.

Excellent food everywhere on the street and totally affordable. I loved you could wander down a side street and walk out into a mini-India and then to another which would be full of Chinese food and then another populated by Malaysians.

The restaurants could be a bit pricey but I had the best fish in one I'd ever eaten; black pomfret.

Didn't drink much in Penang but yes went out on the p1ss in Butterworth across the way there. A lot of Aussies around from the local base.

I spent a few days trying to chat up a local lass who worked at Fort Cornwallis in a kiosk but got warned off by a few blokes, one apparently a relative. One put a snake around my neck which pretty much did the trick.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Station Hotel Ipswich on 17:24 - Mar 7 with 2152 viewsRadlett_blue

Station Hotel Ipswich on 16:04 - Mar 7 by Lord_Lucan

Was supposed to be going back there on a cruise, but that was cancelled because of COVID. Was looking forward to seeing how much it had changed, but from my other experiences the main difference about Asia is the cities are now so much more crowded & hard to get around. I reckon I'd have been disappointed.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

[Redacted] on 20:15 - Mar 7 with 1948 viewsvictorywilhappen

Station Hotel Ipswich on 15:22 - Mar 7 by hype313

Likewise Copenhagen.

£80 to get into a club (but you did get a bottle of Vodka included..)

Only later was chatting with Danes that the Swedes go to Denmark for their booze run, like we used to do the Dover - Calais run, made me think how glad we didn't choose Stockholm...

[Redacted]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024