Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? 10:41 - Mar 7 with 1324 viewsJakeITFC

I've been thinking about this quite a bit over the weekend and on the drive back from Blackpool.

Saturday was another performance where I came away from the ground and thought this is again a team with a clear plan, a way of playing and a genuine progression from week to week with new ideas. We played some wonderful football at times on what was effectively a park pitch - one-touch football, trust in possession in all areas of the field, runners getting in behind. This is a reflection of a management team with an ethos and quality in terms of both being able to communicate that in such a way that the players can enact it, and in the players themselves in being able to carry it out.

It probably is the case that we don't get promoted this season, but it would be a big step change for us as a club to go into a summer without needing to make wholesale changes to the management team, playing squad or style of play. I'm still genuinely struggling to think of the last time that was the case - even at the end of the play-off season with Mick we kind of limped over the line and went into the post-season with hopes of building a more fluid side in attack.

The worry is around there will be some churn as an inevitability - can we keep Celina? Do we need to sell Edmundson or Woolfenden to finance this model? I hope that the upward turn at the end of the season makes the answers to these (and any other questions) a little easier to answer.
When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 10:47 - Mar 7 with 1281 viewsGuthrum

When was the last time we didn't suffer a New Year slump, for that matter?

I'd say the last time we finished seasons positively was in 2012-13 under McCarthy and 2010-11 under Jewell - in both cases because we'd escaped possible relegation, rather than pushing to go up.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 10:59 - Mar 7 with 1224 viewsKieran_Knows

Do we need to sell Edmundson or Woolfenden to finance this model?

This line here ... thing is, I don't mind that. Clear strategic recruitment, signing players with an up sell, rather than players coming here for a pay day. Is signing Edmundson for £1m(ish) and selling him on for arguments sake, £5m ... is that a bad thing? Puts funds back in and hopefully we can pick up another bargain, which might aid promotion along the way.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 11:07 - Mar 7 with 1204 viewsSomethingBlue

That's the thing — keep this squad together and tweak it slightly in places and it's quite clear to me that, now, we have a massive chance next season. Celina definitely stays if we go up but (and I know there are some people who strangely still don't get it) I would be moving absolutely everything to get him sorted for next year, it'll be tough but we need to be trying.

Still think this season is on but needs us to pull out a couple of big performances against good teams (Lincoln, we can say, are now better than their position) this week.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 11:14 - Mar 7 with 1164 viewsFixed_It

When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 11:07 - Mar 7 by SomethingBlue

That's the thing — keep this squad together and tweak it slightly in places and it's quite clear to me that, now, we have a massive chance next season. Celina definitely stays if we go up but (and I know there are some people who strangely still don't get it) I would be moving absolutely everything to get him sorted for next year, it'll be tough but we need to be trying.

Still think this season is on but needs us to pull out a couple of big performances against good teams (Lincoln, we can say, are now better than their position) this week.

I'm hoping that our revenue this season will put us in a strong position with regards allowed expenditure.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 11:23 - Mar 7 with 1142 viewsJakeITFC

When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 11:07 - Mar 7 by SomethingBlue

He really could be the difference maker next year, I agree that we should do everything we can to keep him. I guess the uncertainty around a lot of clubs in the Championship makes it a bit more possible (but ultimately will just be up to him I guess).
When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 11:30 - Mar 7 with 1113 viewsSomethingBlue

When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 11:23 - Mar 7 by JakeITFC

He really could be the difference maker next year, I agree that we should do everything we can to keep him. I guess the uncertainty around a lot of clubs in the Championship makes it a bit more possible (but ultimately will just be up to him I guess).

Turkey and the Middle East will be potential sticking points I expect, although I don't think he would be so much up for the latter. Anyway, done deal if we go up and I think we'll know in a week whether that's still realistic.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 11:54 - Mar 7 with 1066 viewsHipsterectomy

Season we had Keane for the last 2 games and won both, I think destroying Cardiff 3-0 in the last game at the Ninian. 12-13 I can remember a late run for the play offs but it always looked too much for us, though there was optimism for what was to come

And I guess the summer Mick left we had done well with Nash and Klug and were looking for a young, positive manager…

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 13:14 - Mar 7 with 925 viewstractorboy1978

When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 11:30 - Mar 7 by SomethingBlue

Turkey and the Middle East will be potential sticking points I expect, although I don't think he would be so much up for the latter. Anyway, done deal if we go up and I think we'll know in a week whether that's still realistic.

He needs to be playing every game between now and the end of the season. He's fit, firing and well in his stride now. We need to make him the main man and feel loved while we do everything behind the scenes to get a deal done. He's a player that is only getting better under McKenna.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2022 13:14]
Login to get fewer ads

When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 13:29 - Mar 7 with 887 viewsRobTheMonk

I'd be most worried about losing Walton at the moment. Just seems like a very calm, communicative presence at the back. I've said it before, but he looks too good for League 1 by quite some margin.
When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 13:47 - Mar 7 with 839 viewstractorboy1978

When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 13:29 - Mar 7 by RobTheMonk

I'd be most worried about losing Walton at the moment. Just seems like a very calm, communicative presence at the back. I've said it before, but he looks too good for League 1 by quite some margin.

Brighton tried selling him to any Championship club that would listen in January and he ended up here, so I'd say he's one of the safest bets to be here next season.

I honestly don't see anyone leaving that is contracted here that we want to keep. Unless of course a real top end Championship club come in for one of them. We are paying low-mid table Championship money on 3/4 year contracts for any of those you might worry about. Ashton is too savvy to let a Woolfy/Edmundson go unless an offer is outrageous.
When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 14:13 - Mar 7 with 796 viewsTractorCam

The relegation season ended on a positive note, albeit a single match vs Leeds.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 14:17 - Mar 7 with 786 viewsBlueBadger

When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 14:13 - Mar 7 by TractorCam

The relegation season ended on a positive note, albeit a single match vs Leeds.

Ah yes. The Improved Performances and the fitting out of the good ship HMS Pisstheleague,
[Post edited 7 Mar 2022 14:38]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

When was the last time we ended the season on a positive note? on 14:37 - Mar 7 with 754 viewsJackSted

Last season

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024