Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To help Ukraine's children may I suggest a donation to SOS Children's Villages 11:47 - Mar 9 with 1945 viewsWeWereZombies

Have just made a donation to my chosen charity:

https://www.soschildrensvillages.org.uk/how-you-can-help/make-a-donation/emergen

I recommend them to the good folk of TWTD not only because they have had the support of the England football team but because I like their methodology. When, at the end of the Second World War, there were thousands of homeless orphans and also thousands of mothers who had lost children an Austrian had the idea of setting up homes where the grieving mothers could get some comfort by looking after motherless children. Seventy five years on they have 'villages' all over the World and I have been very impressed each time I visited a couple of them.

The only caveat is that when I started to support them fourteen years ago they were supported by Spurs as well as England - despite SOS having their United Kingdom office in Cambridge. Perhaps if enough Town fans make a donation there would be grounds for the appropriate switch to an East Anglian team as the league team that lends its name to what I consider to be a fine cause.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

To help Ukraine's children may I suggest a donation to SOS Children's Villages on 11:58 - Mar 9 with 1895 viewsPhilTWTD

On a related note, had an email from Anchor Freight:

Anchor Freight are opening its warehouse at 30A White House Road, Ipswich IP1 5LT again this Thursday (10 March) evening 6PM to 8PM to take in further aid donations for the Ukraine crisis.

Yesterday we despatched yet another vehicle (20 tons) to the hub we have set up on the Ukraine/Polish border (address details below) and this will be onward distributed directly into Ukrainian cities by our friend and former colleague Andrew Pituley, with is Ukraine network of vehicles.

Carl Day CEO of Anchor Freight said “We feel it is important that we control the supply chain right to the final mile, so to avoid donated aid ending up on the black market. The people of Suffolk have generously donated, and it is our responsibility that the aid gets to where it is needed.”

We are scheduling additional vehicle to collect the aid later this week and into next week, so we have the capacity to take more if people still want to donate. However, would kindly ask those who want to donate that they focus on the items that are more urgently needed such as:

Camping Equipment including tents
Sleeping Bags
blankets
Toiletries
Sanitary items
Nappies
Baby items (not food)
Bandages and dressing
First aid kits
Medical aid
Candles (not lighters or matches)

Please can we avoid food stuffs as that requires additional customs and health certification with traceability and makes sending the aid more complex and likely to delay transit of the aid.
To help Ukraine's children may I suggest a donation to SOS Children's Villages on 20:24 - Mar 10 with 1640 viewsBluesky

Hadn't heard of this charity before. Thank you. We will certainly make a donation.
To help Ukraine's children may I suggest a donation to SOS Children's Villages on 20:57 - Mar 10 with 1635 viewsDerryfromBury

To help Ukraine's children may I suggest a donation to SOS Children's Villages on 11:58 - Mar 9 by PhilTWTD

Anchor Freight are opening its warehouse at 30A White House Road, Ipswich IP1 5LT again this Thursday (10 March) evening 6PM to 8PM to take in further aid donations for the Ukraine crisis.

Yesterday we despatched yet another vehicle (20 tons) to the hub we have set up on the Ukraine/Polish border (address details below) and this will be onward distributed directly into Ukrainian cities by our friend and former colleague Andrew Pituley, with is Ukraine network of vehicles.

Carl Day CEO of Anchor Freight said “We feel it is important that we control the supply chain right to the final mile, so to avoid donated aid ending up on the black market. The people of Suffolk have generously donated, and it is our responsibility that the aid gets to where it is needed.”

We are scheduling additional vehicle to collect the aid later this week and into next week, so we have the capacity to take more if people still want to donate. However, would kindly ask those who want to donate that they focus on the items that are more urgently needed such as:

Sleeping Bags
blankets
Toiletries
Sanitary items
Nappies
Baby items (not food)
Bandages and dressing
First aid kits
Medical aid

Please can we avoid food stuffs as that requires additional customs and health certification with traceability and makes sending the aid more complex and likely to delay transit of the aid.

Dropped a few bits off this evening. Very professional and friendly set up. Well done to all the volunteer helpers, and a big thanks should go to the Carl Day of Anchor Fright.
To help Ukraine's children may I suggest a donation to SOS Children's Villages on 09:43 - Mar 11 with 1560 viewsWeWereZombies

To help Ukraine's children may I suggest a donation to SOS Children's Villages on 20:24 - Mar 10 by Bluesky

Hadn't heard of this charity before. Thank you. We will certainly make a donation.

Thanks for that, it always seems to me that they keep too low a profile but that may be to avoid 'compassion fatigue' amongst potential supporters. they send me updates on what they are doing every couple of months or so but do not fill up my inbox and I am grateful for that. Also, they may be treading carefully, especially in Africa, where charity and aid from overseas can be seen as a continuation of colonial mores and demeaning to nations which possess considerable mineral and agricultural wealth (but maybe not the best of distribution networks.)

The other feedback I get is that they work well with Médecins Sans Frontières and often are following them into disasters to provide the support when the emergency medical care has been carried out. This may not put them in the same level of danger as Médecins Sans Frontières (who have a reputation as the first to arrive and the last to leave) but their positions are not without risk.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

To help Ukraine's children may I suggest a donation to SOS Children's Villages on 10:36 - Mar 11 with 1555 viewsPhilTWTD

To help Ukraine's children may I suggest a donation to SOS Children's Villages on 11:58 - Mar 9 by PhilTWTD

Sleeping Bags
blankets
Toiletries
Sanitary items
Nappies
Baby items (not food)
Bandages and dressing
First aid kits
Medical aid

Aid has now reached Lviv.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/carl-day-a404bba_thankyou-aid-ukraine-activity-69

This post has been edited by an administrator
To help Ukraine's children may I suggest a donation to SOS Children's Villages on 15:10 - Mar 11 with 1491 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

To help Ukraine's children may I suggest a donation to SOS Children's Villages on 10:36 - Mar 11 by PhilTWTD

Aid has now reached Lviv.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/carl-day-a404bba_thankyou-aid-ukraine-activity-69

This post has been edited by an administrator

Thanks for the update, Junior will be pleased.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024