Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Endurance. 13:32 - Mar 9 with 1077 viewsjeera

Bit of Brasso and she's good to go.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Endurance. on 13:41 - Mar 9 with 1051 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Everyone should read 'Endurance' by Alfred Lansing.

One of the best books I've ever read (multiple times).

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Endurance. on 13:50 - Mar 9 with 1033 viewsleitrimblue

It's in incredible condition innit. Guess that freezing cold water would help in it's preservation
Endurance. on 13:54 - Mar 9 with 1016 viewsWD19

The Russians will have her up and patrolling the Black Sea before you know it.........
Endurance. on 14:20 - Mar 9 with 994 viewsSwansea_Blue

Stunning pictures aren’t they. I wonder if technology with advance enough to the point that someone tries to recover her?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Endurance. on 14:20 - Mar 9 with 995 viewsChurchman

It’s amazing. I never thought they’d find Endurance and if they did, that it’d be a pile of sticks.

The story of the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition 1914-16 is truly fascinating. Challenge, optimism, skill, mistakes, poor choices, good choices, bad luck, leadership, endurance, the most astonishing feat of navigation just about ever (Worsley), more suffering, survival and rescue.

What a story. All the people survived (RIP Mrs Chippy the carpenter’s cat and of course the dogs), primarily due to the incredible leadership of Shackleton. He’s somebody I’d love to have met. He’s actually buried on South Georgia where he died of a heart attack in 1922, 100 years to the day that Endurance was found. Weird!

There are plenty of books on it for those interested and the Branagh docudrama from about 20 years ago isn’t bad.
Endurance. on 15:30 - Mar 9 with 935 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Endurance. on 14:20 - Mar 9 by Churchman

It’s amazing. I never thought they’d find Endurance and if they did, that it’d be a pile of sticks.

The story of the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition 1914-16 is truly fascinating. Challenge, optimism, skill, mistakes, poor choices, good choices, bad luck, leadership, endurance, the most astonishing feat of navigation just about ever (Worsley), more suffering, survival and rescue.

What a story. All the people survived (RIP Mrs Chippy the carpenter’s cat and of course the dogs), primarily due to the incredible leadership of Shackleton. He’s somebody I’d love to have met. He’s actually buried on South Georgia where he died of a heart attack in 1922, 100 years to the day that Endurance was found. Weird!

There are plenty of books on it for those interested and the Branagh docudrama from about 20 years ago isn’t bad.

I assume based on absolutely no scientific knowledge whatsoever that the cold has helped preserve it?

It's a remarkable find.....up next Amelia Earharts plane

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Endurance. on 16:12 - Mar 9 with 892 viewsjeera

Endurance. on 15:30 - Mar 9 by BlueandTruesince82

I assume based on absolutely no scientific knowledge whatsoever that the cold has helped preserve it?

"the cold has helped preserve it" is what they said on the telly.

They even found some carrots perfectly preserved in the galley.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2022 16:26]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Endurance. on 16:22 - Mar 9 with 874 viewsChurchman

Endurance. on 15:30 - Mar 9 by BlueandTruesince82

They’ve got to find SMS Gneisenau first, sunk along with sister ship SMS Scharnhorst in Dec 1914 at the Battle of the Falklands. The wreck of Scharnhorst was found in 2019 upright and intact, bar the superstructure.
Login to get fewer ads

Endurance. on 17:35 - Mar 9 with 814 viewsFtnfwest

The book about his previous polar expedition is very good. Was the one that preceded Scott's and achieved substantially more than any previous expedition. They got within 90 miles of the pole before Shackleton called it a day. Often said thereafter that whilst Scott and his men achieved the 'glory' Shackleton and his at least lived..
Endurance. on 17:56 - Mar 9 with 790 viewsChurchman

Endurance. on 17:35 - Mar 9 by Ftnfwest

The book about his previous polar expedition is very good. Was the one that preceded Scott's and achieved substantially more than any previous expedition. They got within 90 miles of the pole before Shackleton called it a day. Often said thereafter that whilst Scott and his men achieved the 'glory' Shackleton and his at least lived..

Yes, I’ve read about that expedition. It was nearly the end of him. The trials of being a polar explorer were unreal. Nothing was known about diet really. They ate a lot of pemmican/biscuit (hoosh) and anything they could shoot - protein, few carbohydrates, few vitamins. In Shackleton’s case they also ate the dogs. So basically, their bodies after a while began to fall apart in those conditions.

I’ve skied in -30 degrees centigrade and walked about in it in proper gear. Not for long, I can tell you. I’ve no idea how those explorers did it in the kit they had in temperatures often worse than that and all the hazards with crevasses etc.

Of the explorers, Amundsen seems to have been the most up to date if that’s the right word, which is primarily why he made the South Pole and Scott died. Proper use of dogs and ski etc. Scott and indeed Shackleton had a tad of we are British, we will improvise about them. Fascinating people. Shackleton in particular fascinated me because he was a phenomenal leader, charismatic, brave, but also fundamentally flawed in so many ways.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2022 19:58]
Endurance. on 18:12 - Mar 9 with 781 viewsfactual_blue

I've just seen the footage on the BBC website.

Clearly faked.

It's a model in a tank of water.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Endurance. on 19:14 - Mar 9 with 724 viewsEireannach_gorm

... and he was born down the road from me.
Endurance. on 19:18 - Mar 9 with 712 viewsChurchman

Endurance. on 19:14 - Mar 9 by Eireannach_gorm

... and he was born down the road from me.

Tremendous👍🏻. He very much had an Irish/Anglo heritage and spoke with an Irish lilt. Depending on who he was trying to charm (and he was a charismatic man), he would describe himself as Irish, English or both. Handy eh.
Endurance. on 19:55 - Mar 9 with 674 viewsazuremerlangus

I have had the privilege to visit the great man’s grave twice (1997 & 2008) in his final resting place in South Georgia…

We had "suffered, starved and triumphed, groveled down yet grasped at glory, grown bigger in the bigness of the whole. We had seen God in His splendours, heard the text that Nature renders." We had reached the naked soul of man.

For a joint scientific and geographical piece of organization, give me Scott; for a Winter Journey, Wilson; for a dash to the Pole and nothing else, Amundsen: and if I am in the devil of a hole and want to get out of it, give me Shackleton every time.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Endurance. on 20:38 - Mar 9 with 622 viewsFtnfwest

Endurance. on 17:56 - Mar 9 by Churchman

Yes, I’ve read about that expedition. It was nearly the end of him. The trials of being a polar explorer were unreal. Nothing was known about diet really. They ate a lot of pemmican/biscuit (hoosh) and anything they could shoot - protein, few carbohydrates, few vitamins. In Shackleton’s case they also ate the dogs. So basically, their bodies after a while began to fall apart in those conditions.

I’ve skied in -30 degrees centigrade and walked about in it in proper gear. Not for long, I can tell you. I’ve no idea how those explorers did it in the kit they had in temperatures often worse than that and all the hazards with crevasses etc.

Of the explorers, Amundsen seems to have been the most up to date if that’s the right word, which is primarily why he made the South Pole and Scott died. Proper use of dogs and ski etc. Scott and indeed Shackleton had a tad of we are British, we will improvise about them. Fascinating people. Shackleton in particular fascinated me because he was a phenomenal leader, charismatic, brave, but also fundamentally flawed in so many ways.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2022 19:58]

Fascinating as well to try to read his/their minds when they called it so close. Of course it wasn’t just 90 miles, it was 180 in reality that they couldn’t have made.
Endurance. on 11:53 - Mar 10 with 441 viewsEireannach_gorm

Endurance. on 19:18 - Mar 9 by Churchman

Tremendous👍🏻. He very much had an Irish/Anglo heritage and spoke with an Irish lilt. Depending on who he was trying to charm (and he was a charismatic man), he would describe himself as Irish, English or both. Handy eh.

Hopefully, they can raise it ( improbable ) and put it here:
https://shackletonmuseum.com/

The Quaker Meeting House his ancestor, Abraham Shackleton founded is still used for meetings.
https://quakers-in-ireland.ie/quakermeetings/leinster/ballitore/

https://kildare.ie/ehistory/index.php/sir-ernest-shackleton-obituary-1922/
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024