Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greetings from the Political Void 13:26 - Mar 10 with 3750 viewsDarth_Koont

Hooray for the “grownups”.

Pronouns: He/Him

Greetings from the Political Void on 14:50 - Mar 10 with 1932 viewsPassionNotAnger

Taking the words on the tweet purely at face value and without any research on accuracy:
Someone is moaning about the opposition (who have no ability to implement a policy) suggesting a fairer approach to immigration that the actual government who are failing to deliver something within their power?

Yep - let's definitely focus on the people who can't do anything rather than nasty incompetent scum who are CHOSING not to do the right thing.

Glad to see that twitter author has their priorities right, and lucky you are on hand to help spread their idiocy.
Greetings from the Political Void on 15:01 - Mar 10 with 1891 viewsCoastalblue

Greetings from the Political Void on 14:50 - Mar 10 by PassionNotAnger

Taking the words on the tweet purely at face value and without any research on accuracy:
Someone is moaning about the opposition (who have no ability to implement a policy) suggesting a fairer approach to immigration that the actual government who are failing to deliver something within their power?

Yep - let's definitely focus on the people who can't do anything rather than nasty incompetent scum who are CHOSING not to do the right thing.

Glad to see that twitter author has their priorities right, and lucky you are on hand to help spread their idiocy.

Is it not a case that we have a bunch of incompetents who care little for people, and the people you would expect to be challenging them on that also appear to care little?

British politics is enough to make you cry these days.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Greetings from the Political Void on 15:31 - Mar 10 with 1817 viewsPassionNotAnger

Greetings from the Political Void on 15:01 - Mar 10 by Coastalblue

Is it not a case that we have a bunch of incompetents who care little for people, and the people you would expect to be challenging them on that also appear to care little?

British politics is enough to make you cry these days.

I confess that I haven't studied what the oppositions official view on immigration is up to this point, I have obviously seen the issues being raised on the news and getting more prominence over the last few days (rightly) and seen some challenge of the government but hadn't really paid much attention to it.

I just find it mind-boggling that people are even thinking about passing/sharing the blame our governments reluctance to help those poor people. If we aren't doing enough it's the sole responsibility of this incompetent, heartless and racist government.
Greetings from the Political Void on 15:56 - Mar 10 with 1758 viewsGlasgowBlue

Every day you do the Tories work for them.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Greetings from the Political Void on 15:59 - Mar 10 with 1758 viewsKropotkin123

Greetings from the Political Void on 15:56 - Mar 10 by GlasgowBlue

I like your avatar.

Edit: Includes "I" to remove ambiguity
[Post edited 10 Mar 2022 16:38]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Greetings from the Political Void on 16:28 - Mar 10 with 1704 viewsDarth_Koont

Greetings from the Political Void on 15:56 - Mar 10 by GlasgowBlue

That’s more Starmer’s Labour Party if we’re being honest. They show no signs of doing anything else if they squeak into power.

Greetings from the Political Void on 16:28 - Mar 10 with 1682 viewsGlasgowBlue

Greetings from the Political Void on 15:59 - Mar 10 by Kropotkin123

I like your avatar.

Edit: Includes "I" to remove ambiguity
[Post edited 10 Mar 2022 16:38]

edit I've seen your edit
[Post edited 10 Mar 2022 16:42]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Greetings from the Political Void on 16:31 - Mar 10 with 1677 viewsCoastalblue

Greetings from the Political Void on 16:28 - Mar 10 by GlasgowBlue

edit I've seen your edit

I read it as 'I like your avatar' as opposed to 'like your avatar does'

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.

Login to get fewer ads

Greetings from the Political Void on 16:35 - Mar 10 with 1657 viewsKropotkin123

Greetings from the Political Void on 16:28 - Mar 10 by GlasgowBlue

edit I've seen your edit

Edit: Probably should have got rid of this too :)
[Post edited 10 Mar 2022 17:22]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

Greetings from the Political Void on 16:36 - Mar 10 with 1655 viewsKropotkin123

Greetings from the Political Void on 16:31 - Mar 10 by Coastalblue

I read it as 'I like your avatar' as opposed to 'like your avatar does'

Ohhhhh, haha, yeah. You are correct. Explains it. I'll edit

Greetings from the Political Void on 16:38 - Mar 10 with 1639 viewstractordownsouth

I think Labour have got it wrong on this issue and we should be doing much more to help Ukrainians. However, that last tweet works both ways. There are plenty of examples of wealthy Corbynistas who advocated for a policy programme and leader they probably knew deep down would never get into power, and by extension were happy to hand power to the Tories safe in the knowledge their wealthy backgrounds would insulate them from any negative effects - eg Owen Jones, Matt Zarb-Cousin.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Greetings from the Political Void on 16:45 - Mar 10 with 1611 viewsDarth_Koont

Greetings from the Political Void on 16:38 - Mar 10 by tractordownsouth

I think Labour have got it wrong on this issue and we should be doing much more to help Ukrainians. However, that last tweet works both ways. There are plenty of examples of wealthy Corbynistas who advocated for a policy programme and leader they probably knew deep down would never get into power, and by extension were happy to hand power to the Tories safe in the knowledge their wealthy backgrounds would insulate them from any negative effects - eg Owen Jones, Matt Zarb-Cousin.

Or maybe they believed in the leader and the policy programme in particular?

And I suppose the corollary question is why would you create or support a policy programme you don’t believe in?

The country is in a state because both the Tories and Labour are crap at fixing the stuff that needs fixing. And even crapper at advocating for it. Instead they follow the electorate wherever the right-wing media and people like Farage try to drag us.

Greetings from the Political Void on 17:21 - Mar 10 with 1539 viewstractordownsouth

Greetings from the Political Void on 16:45 - Mar 10 by Darth_Koont

And I suppose the corollary question is why would you create or support a policy programme you don’t believe in?

The country is in a state because both the Tories and Labour are crap at fixing the stuff that needs fixing. And even crapper at advocating for it. Instead they follow the electorate wherever the right-wing media and people like Farage try to drag us.

By all means fight for what you believe, but there has to be an element of pragmatism. Hypothetically, say I wanted the minimum wage to be raised to £13. And there was the option of Labour raising it to £11 or the Tories keeping it at £9 (numbers are just for argument's sake.) I'd try and get public support for the £13 but if it became clear it was not popular/workable, I wouldn't dismiss both parties as being the same and deny low-paid workers the £11 just because it's not the ideal scenario and then leave them with the same £9 under the Tories. For the likes of Jones and Zarb Cousin, it doesn't matter if their views don't win support because they don't have to live with the consequences of the alternative.

Greetings from the Political Void on 19:06 - Mar 10 with 1443 viewsSwansea_Blue

Greetings from the Political Void on 17:21 - Mar 10 by tractordownsouth

By all means fight for what you believe, but there has to be an element of pragmatism. Hypothetically, say I wanted the minimum wage to be raised to £13. And there was the option of Labour raising it to £11 or the Tories keeping it at £9 (numbers are just for argument's sake.) I'd try and get public support for the £13 but if it became clear it was not popular/workable, I wouldn't dismiss both parties as being the same and deny low-paid workers the £11 just because it's not the ideal scenario and then leave them with the same £9 under the Tories. For the likes of Jones and Zarb Cousin, it doesn't matter if their views don't win support because they don't have to live with the consequences of the alternative.

Quite. Take the cost of living and energy price crisis. Labour want to see a windfall tax on energy companies; a mechanism France has used to restrict energy price rises to 4%. Are Corbynites supporting that? I haven’t seen anything, just the usual attacks on Starmer. I suspect they’d rather criticise Labour because it’s not privatisation being proposed than get behind their call for a windfall tax, and therefore doom us all to the eye watering rises that will plunge many into fuel poverty.

It’s depressing stuff. Key is breaking the stranglehold this awful government has on the UK. Then there can be arguments and lobbying for going further. The only chance to break the stranglehold is the Opposition (or an alliance involving the Opposition).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Greetings from the Political Void on 19:12 - Mar 10 with 1425 viewsDarth_Koont

Greetings from the Political Void on 17:21 - Mar 10 by tractordownsouth

I think that’s @rse about face. Pundits and journalists who are pushing for policies that don’t benefit them, indeed may even punish them with taxes and spending going in the wrong direction for them, are a rarity.

Instead imagine the policies that the vast majority of the pundits, journalists, politicians and their donors would either benefit from or never really lose out on. Suddenly we’ve got the “pragmatic” policies you’re talking about with little but token efforts for the poorer in society and on universal public services.

I’m a great believer in behavioural economics and so take anything the established media and politicians say about what is viable or desirable with a massive pinch of salt. Self-interest has become entirely endemic unfortunately.

Greetings from the Political Void on 19:15 - Mar 10 with 1410 viewstractordownsouth

Greetings from the Political Void on 19:06 - Mar 10 by Swansea_Blue

Quite. Take the cost of living and energy price crisis. Labour want to see a windfall tax on energy companies; a mechanism France has used to restrict energy price rises to 4%. Are Corbynites supporting that? I haven’t seen anything, just the usual attacks on Starmer. I suspect they’d rather criticise Labour because it’s not privatisation being proposed than get behind their call for a windfall tax, and therefore doom us all to the eye watering rises that will plunge many into fuel poverty.

It’s depressing stuff. Key is breaking the stranglehold this awful government has on the UK. Then there can be arguments and lobbying for going further. The only chance to break the stranglehold is the Opposition (or an alliance involving the Opposition).

The bit I don’t understand is those who claim to have voted Labour for 50 years deciding to leave because Starmer is too right-wing, when his ideas are comfortably to the left of both Blair and Miliband.

Despite the understandable caution in opposition, I think the next Labour government will be quite radical when it’s in power.

Greetings from the Political Void on 19:20 - Mar 10 with 1389 viewsDarth_Koont

Greetings from the Political Void on 19:15 - Mar 10 by tractordownsouth

The bit I don’t understand is those who claim to have voted Labour for 50 years deciding to leave because Starmer is too right-wing, when his ideas are comfortably to the left of both Blair and Miliband.

Despite the understandable caution in opposition, I think the next Labour government will be quite radical when it’s in power.

Interesting. Based on what?

I think they want power but I don’t see anything but tinkering around the edges and keeping newspapers and donors onside. Because that’s literally the only thing they’re doing now.

Greetings from the Political Void on 19:26 - Mar 10 with 1369 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Greetings from the Political Void on 19:20 - Mar 10 by Darth_Koont

Interesting. Based on what?

I think they want power but I don’t see anything but tinkering around the edges and keeping newspapers and donors onside. Because that’s literally the only thing they’re doing now.

I think all the downvotes are somewhat harsh in this instance.

Most people probably agree with you that we should hold our politicians to higher standards. It’s just that those you are constantly defending clearly aren’t those who have demonstrated high standards.

I’d also question why you post a “but Labour” thread every day. You don’t have to vote for them, it’s not your team, there are other options!
Greetings from the Political Void on 19:49 - Mar 10 with 1341 viewsLord_Lucan

Greetings from the Political Void on 19:06 - Mar 10 by Swansea_Blue

I haven't read the thread, mainly because I can't be arsed.

Starmer said recently that he is against nationalising energy.

The one thing I can't get my head around though is why countries think it's wise to import energy if they can be largely self sufficient. Germany for example relying to a great extent on Russia is complete madness as even a fool would realise that the west is only a bad mood away from political issues with Russia, that and the fact that Russia will know they have you by the balls and can switch you off in an instant.

I am far from a knowledgable man on this subject but from what I understand we export a lot if not most of our energy.

It's complete madness!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Greetings from the Political Void on 19:59 - Mar 10 with 1316 viewsRyorry

Greetings from the Political Void on 16:45 - Mar 10 by Darth_Koont

"Labour are crap at fixing the stuff that needs fixing" because they aren't in power.

They aren't in power at least partly because you & those who think & write like you are constantly rubbishing them from your ivory tower of idealism, wherein nothing but your 100% perfect mythical utopian dream will ever suffice.

So nothing ever changes. Thanks a bunch.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2022 20:01]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Greetings from the Political Void on 20:00 - Mar 10 with 1298 viewsDarth_Koont

Greetings from the Political Void on 19:59 - Mar 10 by Ryorry

"Labour are crap at fixing the stuff that needs fixing" because they aren't in power.

They aren't in power at least partly because you & those who think & write like you are constantly rubbishing them from your ivory tower of idealism, wherein nothing but your 100% perfect mythical utopian dream will ever suffice.

So nothing ever changes. Thanks a bunch.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2022 20:01]

Thanks, caller.

Greetings from the Political Void on 20:01 - Mar 10 with 1296 viewsCoastalblue

Greetings from the Political Void on 19:49 - Mar 10 by Lord_Lucan

The one thing I can't get my head around though is why countries think it's wise to import energy if they can be largely self sufficient. Germany for example relying to a great extent on Russia is complete madness as even a fool would realise that the west is only a bad mood away from political issues with Russia, that and the fact that Russia will know they have you by the balls and can switch you off in an instant.

I am far from a knowledgable man on this subject but from what I understand we export a lot if not most of our energy.

It's complete madness!

I might be wrong, but was under the impression we don't own a lot of our power generation anyway? Which would be even more madness.

Greetings from the Political Void on 20:01 - Mar 10 with 1289 viewsRyorry

Greetings from the Political Void on 20:00 - Mar 10 by Darth_Koont

Thanks, caller.

And that's your best response - says it all.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Greetings from the Political Void on 20:06 - Mar 10 with 1272 viewsLord_Lucan

Greetings from the Political Void on 20:01 - Mar 10 by Coastalblue

I might be wrong, but was under the impression we don't own a lot of our power generation anyway? Which would be even more madness.

I really don't know much about it, I just assume I have power on demand and that's all I have worried about.

I guess the privatised companies own the energy they produce so can sell it anywhere???????

If that is the case it is also madness, I'm not against privatisation but you would think there would be a clause in the contract to say that you have to sell it back to UK PLC unless there was a surplus.

Wouldn't you?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Greetings from the Political Void on 20:10 - Mar 10 with 1262 viewsjeera

Greetings from the Political Void on 19:49 - Mar 10 by Lord_Lucan

It's complete madness!

It is insane any nation giving that level of leverage over themselves, yes.

Including us buying from elsewhere at potentially inflated prices that which can be produced on our own doorstep.

But first of all you have to get past those who are more concerned with who is making those proposals, because if it comes from one it'll be a good idea and what this country should be all about, but from another and it will be fanciful Marxism or some other old tosh.

Yes, the basics should be nationally owned which anyone would agree except for those who benefit from their privatisation. The needs of the nation should come before off-shore shareholders, private firms etc.

How any of our infrastructure is owned by other people's wealth is criminal.

Generally opposition to this seems to hark back to some 40 or 50 odd years ago when times were different.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024