Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides 17:20 - Mar 12 with 1601 viewsChrisd

Since we’ve been in this league we just haven’t been able to consistently beat the better sides. I’m not sure what our overall record is, but I doubt it makes for good reading? Although it is still mathematically possible to reach the play offs, I just think we’ve got too much to do especially as other sides keep finding ways to win their games. I see Oxford now have won 5 of their last 6. There’s no doubt KM has done brilliantly since arriving at our club, but finding that formula to beat the good sides is something he and is coaching staff need to work out because we’ve been poor in our execution for the last 3 seasons and it makes all the difference in a promotion chase. Hopefully, next year will be the year!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:22 - Mar 12 with 1429 viewshomer_123

To me it looks simply like we need to find the back of the net. We are stupidly solid at the back and create enough going forward...just need to convert.

Fairly straightforward to me.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:22 - Mar 12 with 1431 viewsLeoMuff

Think if Morsy stays on we probably do, looked men against boys until then.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:25 - Mar 12 with 1391 viewsNthsuffolkblue

To be fair, the bigger issue has been failing to consistently win most of the matches we might be expected to win. 2 ppg is going to be automatic promotion form regardless of who we get them against. In time McKenna will get us beating some of the better sides too. In comparing the results against the top sides, it would need a comparison to what their results against the top sides is too. None will consistently win them, I am sure.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:25 - Mar 12 with 1389 viewsChrisd

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:22 - Mar 12 by homer_123

To me it looks simply like we need to find the back of the net. We are stupidly solid at the back and create enough going forward...just need to convert.

Fairly straightforward to me.

Defensively, I agree, we are rock solid. It’s going to come as a huge surprise when we concede that next goal. However, although we are creating chances, how many times did their keeper have to really work?
[Post edited 12 Mar 2022 17:31]

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:28 - Mar 12 with 1350 viewsgtsb1966

And we will no problem. We'll have a whole new striking option next season because there is no way Bonne and Norwood will be here next season and if we can't sell Pigott he'll go out on loan. A few tweaks here and there in the summer and we'll be the team to beat.....if we're still in this league.
We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:29 - Mar 12 with 1328 viewsChurchman

Last season and the season before we weren’t even competitive with the better teams, bar Hull away. Portsmouth for example won with comfort home and away. They weren’t alone. Only Rotherham have got away from us this season and it’ll be interesting to see where we are against them in a months time. With a bit of tweaking, I’m confident they’ll be chasing us next season.
We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:29 - Mar 12 with 1327 viewsGarv

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:22 - Mar 12 by LeoMuff

Think if Morsy stays on we probably do, looked men against boys until then.

Did after he went off as well for me. Fewer chances obviously but what a difference in quality.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:30 - Mar 12 with 1322 viewsChrisd

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:25 - Mar 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

To be fair, the bigger issue has been failing to consistently win most of the matches we might be expected to win. 2 ppg is going to be automatic promotion form regardless of who we get them against. In time McKenna will get us beating some of the better sides too. In comparing the results against the top sides, it would need a comparison to what their results against the top sides is too. None will consistently win them, I am sure.

That’s a fair point, however look at the current top 6 tonight, we haven’t won 1 game against any of them so far this season. I doubt very much if Rotherham, Wigan or the MK Dons have such a poor record against their promotion rivals.

Login to get fewer ads

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:32 - Mar 12 with 1309 viewsNthsuffolkblue

And, in answer to our own results:

Rotherham H 0-2; A to play
Wigan H to play; A 1-1
MK Dons H 2-2; A 0-0
Oxford H 0-0; A next week
Sunderland H 1-1; A 0-2
Plymouth H to play; A 1-2

A good number of those matches were before McKenna arrived but no wins from 8 attempts is not great. 4 wins from 12 will make those draws look great, though!

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:33 - Mar 12 with 1270 viewsSteve_M

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:32 - Mar 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

Wigan H to play; A 1-1
MK Dons H 2-2; A 0-0
Sunderland H 1-1; A 0-2

A good number of those matches were before McKenna arrived but no wins from 8 attempts is not great. 4 wins from 12 will make those draws look great, though!

Why are we ignoring Wycombe here?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:34 - Mar 12 with 1254 viewsChrisd

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:32 - Mar 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

Wigan H to play; A 1-1
MK Dons H 2-2; A 0-0
Sunderland H 1-1; A 0-2

Very true, but even under KM we can’t get those precious 3 points against our rivals. Is it becoming a mental block?

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:34 - Mar 12 with 1255 viewsLeaky

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:25 - Mar 12 by Chrisd

Defensively, I agree, we are rock solid. It’s going to come as a huge surprise when we concede that next goal. However, although we are creating chances, how many times did their keeper have to really work?

It will come with time. If not this season it will certainly be next. Some of the football we are playing is certainly up there with top six in there Championship teams
We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:36 - Mar 12 with 1245 viewsChrisd

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:33 - Mar 12 by Steve_M

Wycombe are 8th, not top 6.

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 18:17 - Mar 12 with 1089 viewsLankHenners

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:36 - Mar 12 by Chrisd

Wycombe are 8th, not top 6.

They were when we beat them, which makes a lot of these cherry picked 'results against the top x' arguments a bit pointless.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 18:26 - Mar 12 with 1041 viewsITFC_Forever

On the evidence of the two games against them, Pompey are not one of the better sides.

Just another bunch of sheethouses.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 18:38 - Mar 12 with 1009 viewsChrisd

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 18:17 - Mar 12 by LankHenners

They were when we beat them, which makes a lot of these cherry picked 'results against the top x' arguments a bit pointless.

Even if you do include the wins against Wycombe and the results against Wednesday, that’s 2 wins in 12 which is still a poor return for a team that wants to get promoted. This is my original point.

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 18:42 - Mar 12 with 985 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:33 - Mar 12 by Steve_M

Top 6 so same reason as Sheffield Wednesday ... and Portsmouth ... and ourselves ... and Bolton and Accrington.

EDIT: Which does contradict the OP of including Portsmouth.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2022 18:44]

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 18:47 - Mar 12 with 958 viewsChrisd

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 18:42 - Mar 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

Top 6 so same reason as Sheffield Wednesday ... and Portsmouth ... and ourselves ... and Bolton and Accrington.

EDIT: Which does contradict the OP of including Portsmouth.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2022 18:44]

Let’s be fair, Portsmouth have two games in hand,’IF’ they win those they’ll be ahead of us and in the top 6, but still a big IF. It’s not unreasonable to say that Portsmouth are one of the better sides in this league whether you like their style of play and management of games. So, not a contradiction whatsoever.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2022 18:50]

WRONG! on 18:51 - Mar 12 with 926 viewsunstableblue

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 18:26 - Mar 12 by ITFC_Forever

On the evidence of the two games against them, Pompey are not one of the better sides.

Just another bunch of sheethouses.

Portsmouth were terrible at Fratton Park.

But today they were good, as they needed to be to contain us, and at times threaten. They had several movement of real danger. The sh!thousery was latter stages.

They gave us a good game. And were streets ahead of the teams we’ve been playing recently.

I will say it again this is a difficult league with great competition and consistency at the top end, and it will be the same next season.

We’ll to have a terrific season to get automatic promotion next term.

But we need to get out of it.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 19:15 - Mar 12 with 868 viewsLeoMuff

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:25 - Mar 12 by Chrisd

Yep and that’s how you build a championship winning squad, make them hard to beat first then add the quality and goals. I think we will get there, we will I’m sure be looking at a striker or two in the summer, we are also missing our two best midfielders. We need to add more to the left going forward as well, but that could be coached as we were a lot better today that side

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 20:22 - Mar 12 with 806 viewsChrisd

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 17:25 - Mar 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

Had a quick look at Rotherham, Wigan and MK Dons' and compared their results against the 'current' top 6 and I included the result or results against us too. Forgive me, it's Saturday night the vision could be a bit blurry:

Rotherham - 5 wins - 17 pts
Wigan Athletic - 3 wins - 14 pts
MK Dons - 3 wins - 13 pts
Ipswich Town - 0 wins - 5pts

Further highlights to me this is what we need to be improving on more next season. Picking up more points and victories against our promotion rivals to hinder their progress.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2022 22:19]

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 20:50 - Mar 12 with 729 viewspointofblue

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 18:47 - Mar 12 by Chrisd

Let’s be fair, Portsmouth have two games in hand,’IF’ they win those they’ll be ahead of us and in the top 6, but still a big IF. It’s not unreasonable to say that Portsmouth are one of the better sides in this league whether you like their style of play and management of games. So, not a contradiction whatsoever.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2022 18:50]

They've played the same number of games as sixth place Plymouth, so a draw wasn't much use to them today.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 20:57 - Mar 12 with 712 viewsChrisd

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 20:50 - Mar 12 by pointofblue

They've played the same number of games as sixth place Plymouth, so a draw wasn't much use to them today.

Think they’d beg to differ.

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 21:04 - Mar 12 with 683 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 20:22 - Mar 12 by Chrisd

Had a quick look at Rotherham, Wigan and MK Dons' and compared their results against the 'current' top 6 and I included the result or results against us too. Forgive me, it's Saturday night the vision could be a bit blurry:

Rotherham - 5 wins - 17 pts
Wigan Athletic - 3 wins - 14 pts
MK Dons - 3 wins - 13 pts
Ipswich Town - 0 wins - 5pts

Further highlights to me this is what we need to be improving on more next season. Picking up more points and victories against our promotion rivals to hinder their progress.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2022 22:19]

That's fair comment for the difference between us and those competing for top two.

Would be interesting to compare the same for Plymouth, Oxford, Sunderland, Wycombe, Sheffield Wednesday and Portsmouth. I am sure ours is the worse record and you are right that we could do with beating these sides.

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 21:09 - Mar 12 with 669 viewspointofblue

We need to find ways to beat these better L1 sides on 20:57 - Mar 12 by Chrisd

Think they’d beg to differ.

Yes, I didn't look at Sunderland in fifth - should they win both games in hand they'll be two points off so wouldn't count themselves in contention. But they'll need to be more adventurous than they were today against a team missing their number one centre back (as good as JD and Wolf have been of late), number one central midfielder and most in form striker for the entire second half and, in the case of the first two, the majority, if not all, of the match.

Edited: didn't make sense
[Post edited 12 Mar 2022 21:26]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024