Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brøndby day out 10:58 - Mar 14 with 403 viewsSharkey

Following last week’s post about Portman Road, and why nobody would ever want to move, I found out yesterday that football grounds do not all actually fit into these two types.

1. Central, characterful, easy-to-get-to, surrounded by boozers.(e.g. Ipswich)
2. Soulless bowls in a far-off field . (Colchester)

I wen to see Brøndby play. Crowd = 24000. 15 minutes on a commuter train from central Copenhagen and then a good 35-minute walk from the station to the ground, through dull publess suburbs. Thousands and thousands walking , thousands and thousands cycling . ( bikes go free on the train, and there’s plenty of provision for them. There are in fact two stations, both about 30-minutes walk from the ground. The club was founded in the 60s by a Laudrup, and simply got bigger and bigger while never moving. The ground is an impressive, German-style concrete thing, certainly not short of character.

It was particularly spectacular after the game , with so many people starting that long walk ( or cycle) back to the station. No buses to be seen anywhere. An hour after the game ended the railway platform was still packed. It was a 4 pm kick-off, but it must be even stranger after an evening game. So much exercise to support one’s team.

I’d guess there were three thousand bikes parked around the ground . ( I remember in the 8O’ s not being allowed to wheel my bike to lock it outside Portman Road; when I asked what law I was breaking the policeman said (and I quote) ‘don’t be a tit’, which seemed a bit hypocritical , looking at his helmet.)

As a footnote, Jack Wilshere played 75 minutes but I did not realise this till I read a match report.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024