Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oxford win nothing less or season is over 21:51 - Mar 15 with 2150 viewsquirkie

Anything less than a win and we will be 8 or 9 pts away from 6th and that is not achievable to make up in 7 games.

No pressure then.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 22:08 - Mar 15 with 2061 viewsBobsthename

I’m thinking with our injuries it’s a big ask i personally think we will lose Oxford have showed some good form of late as we have but without Morsey,Edmundson two of our leaders it’s going to be hard.
Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 22:10 - Mar 15 with 2053 viewsSwansea_Blue

Need all wins now pretty much. We’ve got to make up a point a game on teams averaging 2 points a game!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 22:11 - Mar 15 with 2039 viewsFixed_It

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 22:08 - Mar 15 by Bobsthename

I’m thinking with our injuries it’s a big ask i personally think we will lose Oxford have showed some good form of late as we have but without Morsey,Edmundson two of our leaders it’s going to be hard.

Morsy is not ruled out yet. And besides - we are capable of getting a win there. No-one said it would be easy, but hopefully the team haven't given up yet even if some of our supporters have.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 22:14 - Mar 15 with 2014 viewsChrisd

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 22:10 - Mar 15 by Swansea_Blue

Need all wins now pretty much. We’ve got to make up a point a game on teams averaging 2 points a game!

The problem is the other teams around us aren’t faltering, even though we are hoping they will. Some of them are even showing better form than us in fact and we keep overlooking this point.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 22:18 - Mar 15 with 1978 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 22:14 - Mar 15 by Chrisd

The problem is the other teams around us aren’t faltering, even though we are hoping they will. Some of them are even showing better form than us in fact and we keep overlooking this point.

Our only hope involves 3 of the teams directly above us dropping off in form dramatically.

It is possible but the longer that it doesn't happen, the less likely it is to happen.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 22:26 - Mar 15 with 1938 viewsRyorry

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 22:14 - Mar 15 by Chrisd

Plus Portsmouth, Wycombe, Wednesday & Argyle all having games in hand (even if some are against each other).
[Post edited 15 Mar 2022 23:23]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 23:12 - Mar 15 with 1806 viewsHARRY10

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 22:26 - Mar 15 by Ryorry

Plus Portsmouth, Wycombe, Wednesday & Argyle all having games in hand (even if some are against each other).
[Post edited 15 Mar 2022 23:23]

I think Wigan are not going to be caught by us -16 points ahead and 2 games in hand. I doubt Pompey have what it takes.

Making up 8 points is only three wins ...... seems to be the thought of some - but that assumes three clubs will lose three games in a row.

I would feel more hopeful if we did not have to play Oxford, Plymouth, Wigan and Rotherham. The first two we are capable of bearing, But we are also capable of draws against Cheltenham, Morecambe and Pompey.

Draw one of those other four games and we would need to beat Wigan and/or Rotherham to be in with a chance.

However, all we can do is beat whoever we play, and see where we are at the end. The idea that we can focus on 'chasing down' certain teams is silly.

Keep winning, and the fat lady will have to sit it out
Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 23:22 - Mar 15 with 1789 viewsRyorry

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 23:12 - Mar 15 by HARRY10

I think Wigan are not going to be caught by us -16 points ahead and 2 games in hand. I doubt Pompey have what it takes.

Making up 8 points is only three wins ...... seems to be the thought of some - but that assumes three clubs will lose three games in a row.

I would feel more hopeful if we did not have to play Oxford, Plymouth, Wigan and Rotherham. The first two we are capable of bearing, But we are also capable of draws against Cheltenham, Morecambe and Pompey.

Draw one of those other four games and we would need to beat Wigan and/or Rotherham to be in with a chance.

However, all we can do is beat whoever we play, and see where we are at the end. The idea that we can focus on 'chasing down' certain teams is silly.

Keep winning, and the fat lady will have to sit it out

Sorry, I meant Wycombe not Wigan - had memorised the 4 to type by rote repeating in my head - the former got morphed into the latter by my tired grey matter!

Login to get fewer ads

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 23:31 - Mar 15 with 1755 viewsHARRY10

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 23:22 - Mar 15 by Ryorry

Sorry, I meant Wycombe not Wigan - had memorised the 4 to type by rote repeating in my head - the former got morphed into the latter by my tired grey matter!

time for bed, said Zeebedee
[Post edited 15 Mar 2022 23:32]
Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 00:47 - Mar 16 with 1664 viewspointofblue

Feels like season’s over already; it’s too much of a deficit to make up at this stage. Yes, the Cook era was dreadful but I still can’t think back to Cheltenham at home and Morecambe away under McKenna. Four points dropped there and we’d be two points off sixth right now.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 03:48 - Mar 16 with 1598 viewsBondiBlue

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 00:47 - Mar 16 by pointofblue

Feels like season’s over already; it’s too much of a deficit to make up at this stage. Yes, the Cook era was dreadful but I still can’t think back to Cheltenham at home and Morecambe away under McKenna. Four points dropped there and we’d be two points off sixth right now.

Cheltenham away and morecambe at home under cook were an awful lot worse.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 06:36 - Mar 16 with 1483 viewstextbackup

We will beat Oxford, and Plymouth, and the dream will not be over.

Can’t wait until Saturday now

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 08:19 - Mar 16 with 1310 viewsITFC_Forever

Nothing’s changed in that respect… we all knew we’d need 6-7 points from Portsmouth, Oxford and Plymouth.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 08:31 - Mar 16 with 1285 viewsdirtyboy

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 00:47 - Mar 16 by pointofblue

That feels like you're blaming McKenna.

Cheltenham had some cracking results around the time they played us and Morecambe are fighting for their lives, so will sit out for points against teams they don't think they can beat, where a draw is a win for them in the larger picture.

Let's just cast our minds back to September.....

6 games played and just 3 points....that gap was already there.

At that point in time, Rotherham have showed the best turnaround as they were only 6 points ahead of us, but Sheff Wed +7, Portsmouth +7, Oxford +8, Wycombe +8, Plymouth +8, MK Dons +9, Bolton +9, Wigan +10 nad Sunderland +12.

Move on to late December and we're 10 points off 6th, with the table clearly starting to take shape and proving just which teams are the best with us sitting on just a +4 goal difference.

For some perspective on just how big the job has been.
Cook/JM, 21 games, 27 points, +4 GD

McKenna, 16 games, 32 points, +14 GD.

With our squad, how on earth did we not even scrape 2 wins in those first 6 games which would have put us firmly in contention and possibly in our own hands, but as it stands, we're relying on luck + being the best team in the division for the next 8 games.

McKenna with a pre-season.

But look...

It's been an exciting season, some great football (with Cook it was good to watch, even when the results were poor).

What will be will be, just enjoy the journey.
Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 08:55 - Mar 16 with 1232 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 06:36 - Mar 16 by textbackup

We will beat Oxford, and Plymouth, and the dream will not be over.

Can’t wait until Saturday now

Every time results dont go our way or weve not won, i think thats season over. Then the next week weve won, results go our way and suddenly its back on. Hopefully be thinking the same sunday morning
Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 08:57 - Mar 16 with 1217 viewsDubtractor

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 08:55 - Mar 16 by abracaDOBRA_

Every time results dont go our way or weve not won, i think thats season over. Then the next week weve won, results go our way and suddenly its back on. Hopefully be thinking the same sunday morning

This is 100% where I'm at. My optimism comes and goes pretty dramatically.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2022 10:03]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 09:08 - Mar 16 with 1189 viewsBlueySwede

I do think it´s a huge ask for us to reach the playoffs now, but I will never give up on a season until it´s mathematically over. Miracles has happened before.
Oxford will be a tough game, but if we keep being solid and put our chances away we can do it.
Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 09:24 - Mar 16 with 1127 viewsitfcjoe

We basically need 6 wins at the very least to have half a chance of the top 6 - so whilst it wouldn't totally sew it up it would basically mean we need to win every game from there on in which is hugely unlikely

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 09:27 - Mar 16 with 1116 viewstextbackup

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 08:57 - Mar 16 by Dubtractor

This is 100% where I'm at. My optimism comes and goes pretty dramatically.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2022 10:03]

Yep, same, I can only liken my current state to a 7 year old child that doesn’t know if he’s coming or going

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 09:30 - Mar 16 with 1109 viewstextbackup

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 09:24 - Mar 16 by itfcjoe

We basically need 6 wins at the very least to have half a chance of the top 6 - so whilst it wouldn't totally sew it up it would basically mean we need to win every game from there on in which is hugely unlikely

Even if we finish 7/8th and 4points off 6th, I’ll be really happy. Means we’ve given it a hell of a go

To maintain this form and quality into next season then becomes the aim

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 09:38 - Mar 16 with 1065 viewsSitfcB

Plymouths last 7 games of the season…

Us
Oxford
Burton
Wycombe
Sunderland
Wigan
MK Dons

Blimey, they’re going to have a big say in what happens.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 09:39 - Mar 16 with 1051 viewsdavblue

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 09:24 - Mar 16 by itfcjoe

Oxford look like they need 10 or 11 points from 8 games to get to 78/79points
Plymouth the same from 9 games
Sunderland 12/13 points from 8 games
Sheff Wed 14 points from 9 games

We are going to need 19/20 points from 8 games, it's very tough, don't think there's enough goals in us to get over the line but it's hugely encouraging, this last half of the season.
Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 09:40 - Mar 16 with 1048 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 09:30 - Mar 16 by textbackup

Even if we finish 7/8th and 4points off 6th, I’ll be really happy. Means we’ve given it a hell of a go

To maintain this form and quality into next season then becomes the aim

yeah agree, anywhere but bloody 9th! Id be happy if we finish 7th (if were not making the PO), would of been a brilliant effort and in other seasons would've seen us in 6th
Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 11:03 - Mar 16 with 916 viewsRyorry

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 09:27 - Mar 16 by textbackup

Yep, same, I can only liken my current state to a 7 year old child that doesn’t know if he’s coming or going

Exactly - football for me is primarily about the *excitement* - and we've been denied that for so many years that I've lost count. I'm happy & grateful to have that back, and to be able to enjoy the ride!

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 18:47 - Mar 16 with 682 viewsHARRY10

Oxford win nothing less or season is over on 09:40 - Mar 16 by abracaDOBRA_

yeah agree, anywhere but bloody 9th! Id be happy if we finish 7th (if were not making the PO), would of been a brilliant effort and in other seasons would've seen us in 6th

This has been a season where 8 other clubs have been able to achieve a higher total (so far) than what is usual.

We have not, that's why we are not in 6th place
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024