Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway 21:56 - Mar 22 with 5700 viewsBondiBlue

Sorry if this has been covered in joe's thread.

Can we put this one to bed now? Phil said the same a while back - said it was the same with gibbs.

We're going to miss out on the playoffs this year having given none of the all-conquering u23s a chance. I can handle missing out on the playoffs if we're building for next season. I can handle giving none of the 23s a chance if we're top of the league.

Poll: Which would you accept?

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:04 - Mar 22 with 3721 viewsjayessess

The grief Simpson got on the back of very little actual confirmed info was very OTT.

But until we're mathematically out of the play-off picture McKenna should pick what he thinks is the strongest possible team for every game. There will be plenty of time in the Summer to assess who is and who isn't ready for first team football, then to plan our squad building accordingly.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:08 - Mar 22 with 3682 viewsFrimleyBlue

Get your head down, train with the first team when invited and keep pushing. KM clearly rewards players for efforts and ability just look at Jackson coming in from the cold.

What these youngsters and KD should have realised is whilst we are trying to finish in the play offs, KM is having to look at who to keep and who to let go in the summer. He can only do that by using the first team players, it's upto KD and Mcgreal to look after the u23s, they then have the summer to show KM why they should be involved in the first team and not the u23s next summer.

There is no devine right to get first team football just because you play u23 football, it's a different level, different speed, different tactical requirements and in most games it's boys v boys.

Simpson was getting more first team exposure in training, then got injured, that's tough luck, get head up and go again.

We've had casement come in this season, he was average. so that just proves the difference in levels imo.

Will be interesting how many u23 players kieron uses when he himself becomes a manager, it's easy to suggest players get picked when your the u23 manager, but looking down..........
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 22:10]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:11 - Mar 22 with 3636 viewsFrimleyBlue

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:04 - Mar 22 by jayessess

The grief Simpson got on the back of very little actual confirmed info was very OTT.

But until we're mathematically out of the play-off picture McKenna should pick what he thinks is the strongest possible team for every game. There will be plenty of time in the Summer to assess who is and who isn't ready for first team football, then to plan our squad building accordingly.

TBH the media made the simpson thing worse, talking about contracts etc.

Had it just been Simpson to stay at town, that would be been enough and people wouldn't have thought anymore of it. Mention contract issues and of course people are going to question attitude etc, the media got what it wanted

Waka waka eh eh

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:13 - Mar 22 with 3604 viewsLankHenners

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:11 - Mar 22 by FrimleyBlue

TBH the media made the simpson thing worse, talking about contracts etc.

Had it just been Simpson to stay at town, that would be been enough and people wouldn't have thought anymore of it. Mention contract issues and of course people are going to question attitude etc, the media got what it wanted

McKenna mentioned the contract when asked about the situation. Hardly an unfair question and hardly 'the media's' fault for anything.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:16 - Mar 22 with 3558 viewsFrimleyBlue

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:13 - Mar 22 by LankHenners

McKenna mentioned the contract when asked about the situation. Hardly an unfair question and hardly 'the media's' fault for anything.

Oo an oversight, I did write the club then thought actually was it eadt. I stand corrected.

silly of KM for that then imo.

Waka waka eh eh

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:17 - Mar 22 with 3555 viewsjayessess

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:13 - Mar 22 by LankHenners

The key isn't "never mention the money", it's fans being a bit more realistic about this stuff and not throwing their toys out of the pram every time a player thinks about their future.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:21 - Mar 22 with 3516 viewsLankHenners

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:16 - Mar 22 by FrimleyBlue

Oo an oversight, I did write the club then thought actually was it eadt. I stand corrected.

silly of KM for that then imo.

Not silly at all. If you have that attitude towards everything then there'd be no point having any media/communication from the club or elsewhere and you'd never hear from anyone about anything lest someone goes off on one.

The silly thing is fans having a childish response to fairly routine answers to routine questions.

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:26 - Mar 22 with 3466 viewsLankHenners

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:17 - Mar 22 by jayessess

The key isn't "never mention the money", it's fans being a bit more realistic about this stuff and not throwing their toys out of the pram every time a player thinks about their future.

Indeed, in any other scenario in 'the real world', the employee would be praised to high heaven for taking a stand and looking after their own interests over their employer, and rightly so. In football the employee is the one that gets the abuse and the accusations of 'greed' etc. as if the fans are somehow owed unbreakable loyalty and commitment to their desires.

Login to get fewer ads

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:26 - Mar 22 with 3452 viewsFrimleyBlue

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:21 - Mar 22 by LankHenners

Not silly at all. If you have that attitude towards everything then there'd be no point having any media/communication from the club or elsewhere and you'd never hear from anyone about anything lest someone goes off on one.

The silly thing is fans having a childish response to fairly routine answers to routine questions.

We're talking about a social media reaction at play here, it's easy to say fans should feel this fans shouldn't react like that etc, but it's always happend and will always happen when it comes to contracts and players.

To some, they don't care
to others some see a contract dispute as a player/agent holding a club to ransom, some see it as a power play by a player/agent in this case following half a good season at league 2 level and suddenly contract issues in play. dont forget he also deleted all mentions of town on his socials etc too. ( Christ, he even watched his mate at a nodge game and it was on twitter), it's just how horrid social media has become since the likes of twitter went live.

Easiest way to ensure 0 negative social media follow up, don't mention contracts.

Some things in life gets better every day, social media isn't one of them and I doubt it will change any time soon.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 22:28]

Waka waka eh eh

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:28 - Mar 22 with 3424 viewsgtsb1966

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:26 - Mar 22 by FrimleyBlue

We're talking about a social media reaction at play here, it's easy to say fans should feel this fans shouldn't react like that etc, but it's always happend and will always happen when it comes to contracts and players.

To some, they don't care
to others some see a contract dispute as a player/agent holding a club to ransom, some see it as a power play by a player/agent in this case following half a good season at league 2 level and suddenly contract issues in play. dont forget he also deleted all mentions of town on his socials etc too. ( Christ, he even watched his mate at a nodge game and it was on twitter), it's just how horrid social media has become since the likes of twitter went live.

Easiest way to ensure 0 negative social media follow up, don't mention contracts.

Some things in life gets better every day, social media isn't one of them and I doubt it will change any time soon.

Aren't you exhausted yet?
KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:30 - Mar 22 with 3392 viewsFrimleyBlue

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:28 - Mar 22 by gtsb1966

Aren't you exhausted yet?

Nah im good, enjoying a nice evening. Are you ok?

Waka waka eh eh

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:32 - Mar 22 with 3391 viewsLankHenners

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:26 - Mar 22 by FrimleyBlue

To some, they don't care

I agree, fans will always discuss/speculate about any and all aspects of club communication, something which social media encourages and amplifies. In this specific example if the contract situation hadn't been mentioned and Simpson was just here with no-one knowing why all sorts of (negative) things would be said about him.

Therefore, whether it's mentioned or not is irrelevant as people will always speculate/criticise something else. Your argument eats itself.

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:41 - Mar 22 with 3332 viewsFrimleyBlue

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:32 - Mar 22 by LankHenners

I agree, fans will always discuss/speculate about any and all aspects of club communication, something which social media encourages and amplifies. In this specific example if the contract situation hadn't been mentioned and Simpson was just here with no-one knowing why all sorts of (negative) things would be said about him.

Therefore, whether it's mentioned or not is irrelevant as people will always speculate/criticise something else. Your argument eats itself.

Personally I'd have just said Simpson had a great first half of the season and we want to have a closer look at him over the remainder of the season.

That way it's true. They were looking at him.
No twitter rumours of agent involvement
No negative speculation of why he's back etc etc

Waka waka eh eh

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 23:01 - Mar 22 with 3261 viewsHighgateBlue

I agree with this entirely, but to be fair to KMac, he may give Simpson a run at some point in the last few games once it is even clearer that we have definitely missed out. Given the lack of goalscoring form of our strikers, and given that nobody forced us to recall Simpson, I think it would be rude not to give him a chance at that stage!
KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 23:26 - Mar 22 with 3162 viewsLankHenners

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:41 - Mar 22 by FrimleyBlue

Personally I'd have just said Simpson had a great first half of the season and we want to have a closer look at him over the remainder of the season.

That way it's true. They were looking at him.
No twitter rumours of agent involvement
No negative speculation of why he's back etc etc

That's not true and I think this entire board would testify that you've been one of the worst culprits for speculating and finding bizarre takes on things based on minimal or bland information given through interviews, reports etc. let alone something as 'juicy' as an alleged contract dispute.

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 23:44 - Mar 22 with 3081 viewsFrimleyBlue

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 23:26 - Mar 22 by LankHenners

That's not true and I think this entire board would testify that you've been one of the worst culprits for speculating and finding bizarre takes on things based on minimal or bland information given through interviews, reports etc. let alone something as 'juicy' as an alleged contract dispute.

I do enjoy a bit of speculation, why not, a forums a great place to see what people think about certain things when things are open to interpretation or like KD news yesterday 0 reason given for leaving, So absolutely discuss it if you want to or not if you don't.

However, your reply has nothing to do with my post that you've replied to. I've shared a view on how easy it could have been handled which would have lead to 0 speculation, 0 negative thoughts.

How or why that brings up my personal joy of speculation is bizarre. Unless you found yourself agreeing with me but not wanting to admit it ;)

Waka waka eh eh

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 00:02 - Mar 23 with 3059 viewsBondiBlue

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 23:01 - Mar 22 by HighgateBlue

I agree with this entirely, but to be fair to KMac, he may give Simpson a run at some point in the last few games once it is even clearer that we have definitely missed out. Given the lack of goalscoring form of our strikers, and given that nobody forced us to recall Simpson, I think it would be rude not to give him a chance at that stage!

Rude and damaging. What are the rest of the 23s, 18s and parents of potential town academy players going to think?

I'm obviously excited by what the club might achieve under gamechanger but this episode is showing them up as being very short-sighted when it comes to a traditionally very important and fruitful part of ITFC's culture.

I should say in their defence, they had to back cook and he was obviously the one who, fearing for his job after a terrible start, decided he didn't trust the youngsters as first-team squad players and felt that he needed to sign not just 11 but a full 18 of players with first-team experience.

Poll: Which would you accept?

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 07:01 - Mar 23 with 2776 viewstractorboy1978

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 00:02 - Mar 23 by BondiBlue

Rude and damaging. What are the rest of the 23s, 18s and parents of potential town academy players going to think?

I'm obviously excited by what the club might achieve under gamechanger but this episode is showing them up as being very short-sighted when it comes to a traditionally very important and fruitful part of ITFC's culture.

I should say in their defence, they had to back cook and he was obviously the one who, fearing for his job after a terrible start, decided he didn't trust the youngsters as first-team squad players and felt that he needed to sign not just 11 but a full 18 of players with first-team experience.

I'm sure in the summer we will see Humphreys, Ndaba, Simpson and possibly a couple of others given a proper chance to impress/stake a claim in pre-season. Realistically, if you can integrate two players from your academy into the first team each season you are doing pretty well.

The bar has been raised since GC20 came in. Ultimately the aim is to get two promotions as quickly as possible and we are financially backed enough to do so. When you are bringing Championship players like Morsy, Celina, Chaplin, Aluko, Edmundson into a L1 team, the level our academy lads need to hit to get given a chance goes up a notch.

Bailey Clements is a perfect example - he got given a real chance this season and unfortunately looked a fish out of water.
KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 07:11 - Mar 23 with 2728 viewshype313

But when you listen to Kieron, he says In the previous season he scored 2 goals, and felt he wasn't ready for Swindon.

Simpson had a fabulous 3 months at Swindon, but people carry on like we're not giving the next Messi a chance.

I'm sure McKenna will look to give players the opportunities if he feels they are ready and at the level, if not then I trust his judgement.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 07:18 - Mar 23 with 2690 viewsitfcjoe

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 07:11 - Mar 23 by hype313

But when you listen to Kieron, he says In the previous season he scored 2 goals, and felt he wasn't ready for Swindon.

Simpson had a fabulous 3 months at Swindon, but people carry on like we're not giving the next Messi a chance.

I'm sure McKenna will look to give players the opportunities if he feels they are ready and at the level, if not then I trust his judgement.

Where young players struggle with regards to Senior expensive players is weight of opportunities

If he came in and put in the same performances Pigott has he’d be written off and you wouldn’t see him until next season. But people want to persist with JP

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 07:31 - Mar 23 with 2600 viewshype313

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 07:18 - Mar 23 by itfcjoe

Where young players struggle with regards to Senior expensive players is weight of opportunities

If he came in and put in the same performances Pigott has he’d be written off and you wouldn’t see him until next season. But people want to persist with JP

Yep, i can certainly see the frustration from that point of view.

It's a tough one for McKenna due to the fact that we have an outside chance, albeit very slim, to make the play offs at the business end of the season, and he probably looks at it and thinks do I play a guy who has scored in this league even though he stinks the place out everytime he steps on the pitch or do I gamble on a youngster at this critical juncture.

I can see KD's point about pathways, but I can also see McKenna's view aswell.

It's a tough one, if we don't win on Saturday then i'm sure McKenna will staet to have a look at the younger one's coming through.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 08:06 - Mar 23 with 2469 viewsChurchman

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 07:31 - Mar 23 by hype313

Yep, i can certainly see the frustration from that point of view.

It's a tough one for McKenna due to the fact that we have an outside chance, albeit very slim, to make the play offs at the business end of the season, and he probably looks at it and thinks do I play a guy who has scored in this league even though he stinks the place out everytime he steps on the pitch or do I gamble on a youngster at this critical juncture.

I can see KD's point about pathways, but I can also see McKenna's view aswell.

It's a tough one, if we don't win on Saturday then i'm sure McKenna will staet to have a look at the younger one's coming through.

I agree. I would hope that McKenna has watched the u23s and if he thought one of them was better than a first teamer, he’d put him in. At this stage of the season, surely he is playing the side he thinks is the best for a particular match.

McKenna’s coaching career has mostly been in youth football. He’s been at this club four months. No time at all. If he’d rocked up, shoved in two or three of the players Kieron talked about, how would that have sat with the existing oversized first team squad? What if it had gone badly? The supporters would already be questioning him. He had to work with the latter first. He has and the results speak for themselves.

When the playoffs are out of reach, I’m sure McKenna will look at u23 players and that’ll be their chance. That and the summer/pre season. I don’t get the impression McKenna is stupid and if the club has developing players better than can be acquired, I’m sure he’ll utilise them in time.

KD gave the impression that this decision has been coming on a while. I’m a little surprised he didn’t stay at least until after his operation to see how things panned out with McKenna. Is he going to be a remote figure like Lambert and McCarthy or an every game everywhere person like Hurst and Cook? What impact is McKenna going to have over the playing structure in the club? A lot, I’d suggest. It was pointed out by him and Ashton that he’s a Manager, not a Coach.
KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 09:13 - Mar 23 with 2279 viewsitfcjoe

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 22:17 - Mar 22 by jayessess

Exactly - realise that the clubs PR machine is able to spin a message against a player to pressure them.

Remember how many times in the past we hear stories about players being forced out of clubs.

Remember that the players, especially when they are young boys, are just humans like everyone else

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 09:19 - Mar 23 with 2240 viewsCuffy81

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 07:18 - Mar 23 by itfcjoe

Piggott has a proven goal scoring record in league one over a number of seasons which suggests he worth persisting with.. as opposed to Simpson who had 3 good months in league two.
KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 09:23 - Mar 23 with 2229 viewsghostofescobar

There has been something fundamentally "broken" with our youth system for a couple of decades. We have produced very good kids, performing well at youth and U23 levels, but very few who have gone onto properly make it in the game. The issue isn't not getting chances in our first team (of course there will be occasional blockers: Lambert), it's that the players aren't ready, good enough, mentally prepared, whatever the reason is. If they were, they would make it elsewhere. Ipswich aren't the only club in the land with a first team. As KM has spent much of his career working with youth players, I would hope he will improve the situation.

GhostOfEscobar

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024