Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars 12:04 - Mar 25 with 1502 viewsghostofescobar

may get poached (if any) over the summer. An offer too good to turn down for Walton? Morsy wanting to get back to the Championship? Burns good form earning him a decent contract a league up? The Fridge going to a "bigger" club? Woolfy being snapped up as "one for the future" by someone? Aluko offered one last big(ger) contract? Santi with a good offer from abroad? Ed Sheeran not getting a squad number? Ok, not the last one, but you get my gist.

GhostOfEscobar

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 12:09 - Mar 25 with 1467 viewsKeno

McKenna to Newcastle is the one I have heard

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 12:16 - Mar 25 with 1437 viewsclive_baker

Walton's great, but if there wasn't a queue of clubs in January after him I doubt much has changed there. Morsy isn't getting any younger so we're probably OK with him.

Burns is the one that concerns me, and to a lesser extent a Championship club taking a punt on Celina if the price is right. If a Stoke or a Cardiff chucked £2m at us for Burns, we would have to accept it surely?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 12:16 - Mar 25 with 1432 viewshype313

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 12:16 - Mar 25 by clive_baker

Walton's great, but if there wasn't a queue of clubs in January after him I doubt much has changed there. Morsy isn't getting any younger so we're probably OK with him.

Burns is the one that concerns me, and to a lesser extent a Championship club taking a punt on Celina if the price is right. If a Stoke or a Cardiff chucked £2m at us for Burns, we would have to accept it surely?

Cardiff would be a concern given he's from South Wales.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 12:21 - Mar 25 with 1414 viewsmonty_radio

I think that, as ever, we're in danger of bigging up yet another set of players who still have much to prove. On a good day all the players named in the O.P.'s post might get an offer, but, Walton apart (and even in his case, his kicking is not as good as modern football demands) all of them have also shown limitations. They've been hammered into a consistently good shape by an up-and-coming coach, but the run of draws tells a story that won't be attracting as many admiring glances as our enthusiasm suggests.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 12:52 - Mar 25 with 1344 viewsParsley

I was thinking about this earlier. I reckon the most likely championship interest would be in Burns, Celina and Chaplin. All decent ages and get involved with goals.
Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 13:07 - Mar 25 with 1287 viewsBiGDonnie

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 12:16 - Mar 25 by clive_baker

I highly doubt £2m for our POTS will be even half of what we'd want for him. I can see clubs being interested though, unfortunately.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 13:09 - Mar 25 with 1275 viewsFrimleyBlue

I'll be very surprised if Wolfenden us with us next season in league 1.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 13:18 - Mar 25 with 1232 viewsKieran_Knows

We're a club that spent a small fortune last summer, paying decent fees and decent wages ... only to see us (probably) miss out on a play-off spot, let alone go up as Top 2.

I can't see many really wanting our players, and probably not paying their true worth, should they be interested.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 13:25 - Mar 25 with 1198 viewsIllinoisblue

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 13:18 - Mar 25 by Kieran_Knows

We're a club that spent a small fortune last summer, paying decent fees and decent wages ... only to see us (probably) miss out on a play-off spot, let alone go up as Top 2.

I can't see many really wanting our players, and probably not paying their true worth, should they be interested.

That’s a weird take; just because we’ve failed collectively doesn’t mean we don’t have good individuals who might interest lower half Championship clubs. It’d be a surprise if Burns, Fridge (when fit), maybe Wolf don’t get interest.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 13:26 - Mar 25 with 1186 viewsquad

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 13:09 - Mar 25 by FrimleyBlue

I'll be very surprised if Wolfenden us with us next season in league 1.

I won't.
Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 13:35 - Mar 25 with 1139 viewsKieran_Knows

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 13:25 - Mar 25 by Illinoisblue

That’s a weird take; just because we’ve failed collectively doesn’t mean we don’t have good individuals who might interest lower half Championship clubs. It’d be a surprise if Burns, Fridge (when fit), maybe Wolf don’t get interest.

Not really though is it? Burns rejected Championship interest last summer to sign for us, and lets be honest, there was only one reason for that.

Not that I don't think individually they've been bad, just don't think clubs will pay near what we want for them ... lets not forget Ashton drives a hard bargain as well, so players won't be leaving on the cheap.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 13:59 - Mar 25 with 1049 viewsIllinoisblue

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 13:35 - Mar 25 by Kieran_Knows

Not really though is it? Burns rejected Championship interest last summer to sign for us, and lets be honest, there was only one reason for that.

Not that I don't think individually they've been bad, just don't think clubs will pay near what we want for them ... lets not forget Ashton drives a hard bargain as well, so players won't be leaving on the cheap.

Clearly we’re shelling out ridiculous wages for L1. I do wonder, though, when we were going on our insane shopping spree last summer if other clubs were still hurting financially from covid. Now that’s kinda sorta over - clubs at least have crowds/income now - will assume we’ll see more competition and activity in the transfer market.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 14:01 - Mar 25 with 1042 viewsBseaBlue

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 13:35 - Mar 25 by Kieran_Knows

Yes. Long gone are the days of us getting robbed for our prospects. I reckon there will be interest in Burns but whether it will be enough for us to part with him remains to be seen.
Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 14:11 - Mar 25 with 989 viewsAlanG296

Surely anyone with a contract for next season will only be available if McKenna makes them available? Financially we're no longer in the position that we were under Evans where we had to accept offers to balance the books.
Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 14:21 - Mar 25 with 963 viewsOldFart71

I think a lot of what is being said needs to be put into context. Yes we have a pretty high wage bill Division One wise, yes we have several players that could do a decent job for a Championship side. The things that make the argument against these things is what we paid for these players was evened out by sales so the old chestnut of cheque book ITFC was/is rubbish. With a couple of additions along with a couple of youths coming through there's no reason why we can't get promoted at the end of next season. Crowd wise we compete with many in the Championship and a few in the Premier League so whilst a few may see moving to a higher league of interest as with Celina he has stated he is happy at Town and the fans adore him, which might not be the case anywhere else, plus getting into another team consistently might be harder.
Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 14:24 - Mar 25 with 945 viewsitfcsuth

I think Wes Burns is the one that concerns me more than the rest, I can't see any of the other core group moving on.

Would have to put up a good figure for Wes Burns though (£2M-£3M) - has a long term deal with the club, has been superb, and seems to really enjoy his football and the other squad members.
Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 14:40 - Mar 25 with 915 viewsBlueNomad

1. It would appear we don't NEED to sell
2. I'm sure the players were sold a project, with the prospect it might take a couple of years
3. They are relatively well paid on longish contracts
4. It appears, from the outside, that they are happy both individually and collectively
5. MA appears to drive a hard bargain
6. Players might want to improve under KMc
7. They play in front of large crowds (at home)
8. Players like Burns are in their late 20's and haven't been scooped up before
Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 14:46 - Mar 25 with 896 viewsitfcjoe

We will only lose players to top end Champ clubs or higher, and can't see anyone bar Burns who ahs done enough to improve their reputation to get there

And Burns is 27 now, he's not worth the sort of money we'd need for him

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 15:01 - Mar 25 with 825 viewswrightsrightglove

Seeing the thread about players we may let go, I wonder how many of our stars on 14:40 - Mar 25 by BlueNomad

1. It would appear we don't NEED to sell
2. I'm sure the players were sold a project, with the prospect it might take a couple of years
3. They are relatively well paid on longish contracts
4. It appears, from the outside, that they are happy both individually and collectively
5. MA appears to drive a hard bargain
6. Players might want to improve under KMc
7. They play in front of large crowds (at home)
8. Players like Burns are in their late 20's and haven't been scooped up before

This.

Can’t see any of our core players pushing for a move away other than those whose way we wouldn’t stand in (Pigott, Hladky etc.) They seem to be settled and enjoying working under the manager and I feel like there’s a genuine warmth between the players and the crowd that has been missing for a long time. I think we’ll see a few of the players on the peripheries moved on and a few quality signings and then we’re good to go.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024