Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Norwich fans in the early 70s 08:03 - Mar 26 with 2064 viewsDJR

Unlike other away fans, there was a period in the early 70s when Norwich fans didn't stand in the North Stand when they played us; from what I can recall they stood in Churchmans. Now I never knew the reason for this, but my friends and I speculated that it was because they were too scared to stand in the North Stand. I suppose the other option was police advice, but given that Norwich fans were much less fierce than, say, Chelsea fans, I rather doubt this. Does anyone else recall this, or know the actual reason? Apologies if this has been raised before, but I don't recall seeing anything about this.
Norwich fans in the early 70s on 08:19 - Mar 26 with 1935 viewsNthQldITFC

Who?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Norwich fans in the early 70s on 08:21 - Mar 26 with 1940 viewsellaandred

I seem to remember when we played them in the (old) first division for the first time, they were in the Churchmans.
We lost 2-1
Norwich fans in the early 70s on 08:41 - Mar 26 with 1853 viewschicoazul

Probably to do with getting to the train station before and after. Can’t have the herberts walking up PR back in those days.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Norwich fans in the early 70s on 09:18 - Mar 26 with 1721 viewstrncbluearmy

Remember this well,literally a handful would turn up and they were pushed around the Churchmens like a pinball.

Conversely Town took thousands to carrot Rd, some even arriving the day before.

Two magnificent moments of Town dominance are etched in the memory,the Sea of Blue on their pitch after the Texaco Cup Final and the taking of the barclay in the late seventies,invasion via fence over and under and via the steep banking at the back of the stand,classic three pronged attack.

COYB
Norwich fans in the early 70s on 10:12 - Mar 26 with 1568 viewsDJR

Norwich fans in the early 70s on 09:18 - Mar 26 by trncbluearmy

Remember this well,literally a handful would turn up and they were pushed around the Churchmens like a pinball.

Two magnificent moments of Town dominance are etched in the memory,the Sea of Blue on their pitch after the Texaco Cup Final and the taking of the barclay in the late seventies,invasion via fence over and under and via the steep banking at the back of the stand,classic three pronged attack.

COYB

I remember those two occasions well. I also remember on one occasion that oil was put on the fencing between the fans to discourage climbing, and that my white jerkin was covered in black oil marks after the game, much to my mum's annoyance.

As regards the fact that very few turned up to Portman Road, I suppose many had never been further than Cromer, so travelling to Ipswich was like going abroad.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2022 10:14]
Norwich fans in the early 70s on 10:28 - Mar 26 with 1519 viewsBobbychase

COYB

I used to have a Postman in Ipswich who was part of the 1970s Town travelling support. He said they would get together lads from the Stonham/Mendlesham area and get their own coach to Carrow Road, There's a village on the A140 just south of the Norwich ring road and one of their pre-match rituals was to get out and have a dump there.

He also said Town at Norwich was very much our fans taking over the area around Carrow Road.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Norwich fans in the early 70s on 10:41 - Mar 26 with 1452 viewsColin_Viljoen

In those days before segregation you could move all around the North Stand, any Norwich that dared enter our stand, were quickley dealt with!
Norwich fans in the early 70s on 10:55 - Mar 26 with 1397 viewsElephantintheRoom

Was it not simply that Churchman’s was the away end pre-segregation and fencing? Going back a bit further to the 60s the rivalry seemed a tad more friendly with many people in North Suffolk and South Norfolk attending matches at both clubs. I remember when Hugh Curran got a hat trick at the North Stand End in a league cup tie the first year Town were back in the top division and the songs got no more hostile than “we all p!ss in a green and yellow b0g.”

Similarly England played West Germany in the World Cup final in 66 with no mention of the war - despite it being in most peoples memory back then. Nowadays though ….

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Norwich fans in the early 70s on 10:58 - Mar 26 with 1386 viewsArnieM

COYB

Ha ha I was one of those on the pitch when we win the Texaco Cup. When we’d walked from the station to the ground prior to the game it absolutely tipped it down . I got soaked to the skin …. Problem was I’d got a brand new pair of Levi jeans on / my legs were blue when I got home that night !

As an aside , it would be nothing unusual for Town to take close to 8-9k fans to carrot roood in those days…. We had half the old Barclay stand with the “thin blue line “ or a fence between the rivals fans .

TWTD ….,

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Norwich fans in the early 70s on 11:00 - Mar 26 with 1384 viewsKeno

Norwich fans in the early 70s on 10:55 - Mar 26 by ElephantintheRoom

Was it not simply that Churchman’s was the away end pre-segregation and fencing? Going back a bit further to the 60s the rivalry seemed a tad more friendly with many people in North Suffolk and South Norfolk attending matches at both clubs. I remember when Hugh Curran got a hat trick at the North Stand End in a league cup tie the first year Town were back in the top division and the songs got no more hostile than “we all p!ss in a green and yellow b0g.”

Similarly England played West Germany in the World Cup final in 66 with no mention of the war - despite it being in most peoples memory back then. Nowadays though ….

Was it not simply that Churchman’s was the away end pre-segregation and fencing? - No

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Norwich fans in the early 70s on 11:05 - Mar 26 with 1363 viewsMattinLondon

Norwich fans in the early 70s on 10:41 - Mar 26 by Colin_Viljoen

In those days before segregation you could move all around the North Stand, any Norwich that dared enter our stand, were quickley dealt with!

Is that why segregation was introduced?
Norwich fans in the early 70s on 12:08 - Mar 26 with 1207 viewsColin_Viljoen

Norwich fans in the early 70s on 11:05 - Mar 26 by MattinLondon

Is that why segregation was introduced?

In the early 70's there was just a row of police keeping the 2 sets of supporters apart, when somebody scored there would be a mass surge towards the other team. Sometimes there would be a coming together, I think the police actually enjoyed it in there as they got stuck in themselves.
Norwich fans in the early 70s on 12:19 - Mar 26 with 1184 viewsbackwaywhen

Norwich fans in the early 70s on 10:58 - Mar 26 by ArnieM

Ha ha I was one of those on the pitch when we win the Texaco Cup. When we’d walked from the station to the ground prior to the game it absolutely tipped it down . I got soaked to the skin …. Problem was I’d got a brand new pair of Levi jeans on / my legs were blue when I got home that night !

As an aside , it would be nothing unusual for Town to take close to 8-9k fans to carrot roood in those days…. We had half the old Barclay stand with the “thin blue line “ or a fence between the rivals fans .

TWTD ….,

Remember that well , singing …..it never rains in Ipswich 🎶 lol good old days.
Norwich fans in the early 70s on 13:18 - Mar 26 with 1082 viewsLord_Lucan

My memories were that the big Mancs, Scousers, Spurs and Arse would always take both sections of the North but Norwich (even though just up the road) would only ever fill one. Such was the crush in the home section of the North that when it became apparent that Norwich wouldn't fill the two it was then opened to Ipswich - usually around 14.15.

They used to seemingly enter PR from the station and back via the sewers as they were never seen before or after the game.

For away games we would usually take circa 8,000 and fill our sections including the South Stand Corner with a presence in The River End as well. It was seriously a day of taking liberties......

.......until around 1983 when they turned us over when we went there in the FA Cup

Not saying that Norwich are a bunch of pansies, they've given a few clubs the runaround - including The Baby Squad at Leicester relatively recently - it's just for some reason they just don't generally make much of a show against Ipswich.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Norwich fans in the early 70s on 13:20 - Mar 26 with 1079 viewsDyland

Norwich fans in the early 70s on 13:18 - Mar 26 by Lord_Lucan

My memories were that the big Mancs, Scousers, Spurs and Arse would always take both sections of the North but Norwich (even though just up the road) would only ever fill one. Such was the crush in the home section of the North that when it became apparent that Norwich wouldn't fill the two it was then opened to Ipswich - usually around 14.15.

They used to seemingly enter PR from the station and back via the sewers as they were never seen before or after the game.

For away games we would usually take circa 8,000 and fill our sections including the South Stand Corner with a presence in The River End as well. It was seriously a day of taking liberties......

.......until around 1983 when they turned us over when we went there in the FA Cup

Not saying that Norwich are a bunch of pansies, they've given a few clubs the runaround - including The Baby Squad at Leicester relatively recently - it's just for some reason they just don't generally make much of a show against Ipswich.

"They used to seemingly enter PR from the station and back via the sewers as they were never seen before or after the game."

literal lollers

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Norwich fans in the early 70s on 13:26 - Mar 26 with 1057 viewsNthQldITFC

Norwich fans in the early 70s on 10:55 - Mar 26 by ElephantintheRoom

Re. your last sentence; the England fans were still waiting for a fitting second line to the song, I suppose, to replace "...and not much else, England, England."

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Norwich fans in the early 70s on 13:35 - Mar 26 with 1044 viewsDJR

Norwich fans in the early 70s on 12:08 - Mar 26 by Colin_Viljoen

In the early 70's there was just a row of police keeping the 2 sets of supporters apart, when somebody scored there would be a mass surge towards the other team. Sometimes there would be a coming together, I think the police actually enjoyed it in there as they got stuck in themselves.

I also enjoyed it as a young teenager, so long as there wasn't actually any fighting. Indeed, the only occasion I was ever punched at a game was when Chelsea were the visitors, and there was such mayhem in the North Stand, that I was actually punched by an Ipswich fan who thought I was a Chelsea fan. It came out of the blue, with the person who punched me asking "Who do you support?". I wasn't sure what to say because he had three heavies alongside him and I thought he was a Chelsea fan, but fortunately my friends said "Ipswich" and he apologised. It left a bit of a bruise, and I had to try to hide it from my parents when I went home.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024