Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Joe Root 09:13 - Mar 26 with 930 viewschicoazul

a bad captain or an unlucky one? Because he doesn’t seem to be a good one.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Is Joe Root on 09:26 - Mar 26 with 892 viewscatch74

Hampered by lack of spinner and opening batsmen.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Is Joe Root on 09:26 - Mar 26 with 891 viewsmylittletown

Not vey good, I think. He doesn't seem to have the instinct for it.

Operates to plans rather than adapting. His fields have often been obviously inappropriate, but he continues with them.

He does command respect, though and now Buttler's gone, not sure who else you' pick for the role
Is Joe Root on 09:37 - Mar 26 with 871 viewsGuthrum

Is Joe Root on 09:26 - Mar 26 by catch74

Hampered by lack of spinner and opening batsmen.

It's very difficult to make tactical plans when you end up twenty-something (or less) for two in the first handful of overs, reliant entirely upon yourself, plus one guy who's battling injury and stress and another who had to give up the day job with the gloves, for any kind of decent run total. Then have an attack which is brilliant on one specific type of wicket, but rather toothless when it's slow/flat/not swinging (which seems to be most of the world, currently).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is Joe Root on 10:04 - Mar 26 with 843 viewsWhos_blue

Probably a bit of both, though he can only play with players at his disposal.
There is no doubt Broad and Anderson would have ripped through the Windies yesterday, but part of me understands why the ECB have to look to the future.
The reality is there will never be another Anderson. The stats confirm he is unique.
I find Root to be a good honest professional and find it hard to dislike anything about him, however I do agree he is slow to react to on field situations.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Is Joe Root on 12:07 - Mar 26 with 768 viewsSteve_M

Certainly not a great captain, lacks the inspiration when plans aren't working, but also hard to see how anyone else would have done much better at this point in time given the nature of English cricket at the moment.

The wider failings remains at the top of the ECB.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Is Joe Root on 12:23 - Mar 26 with 754 viewschicoazul

Is Joe Root on 12:07 - Mar 26 by Steve_M

Certainly not a great captain, lacks the inspiration when plans aren't working, but also hard to see how anyone else would have done much better at this point in time given the nature of English cricket at the moment.

The wider failings remains at the top of the ECB.

It’s weird because he is obvs an amazing player, seems like a good bloke, and as you allude to everyone who knows him likes and respects him. But his record is becoming horrendous and you have to think it’s someone else’s turn. No idea who mind you. Burns?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Is Joe Root on 12:29 - Mar 26 with 744 viewsGuthrum

Is Joe Root on 12:23 - Mar 26 by chicoazul

It’s weird because he is obvs an amazing player, seems like a good bloke, and as you allude to everyone who knows him likes and respects him. But his record is becoming horrendous and you have to think it’s someone else’s turn. No idea who mind you. Burns?

Stokes I think not, for much the same reason as Botham and Flintoff. Inspirational, yes, but not sure he's enough of a tactician.

I don't know whether Burns is good enough with the bat to cope with the usual loss of form once burdened with Captaincy.

Really not sure. Leach?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is Joe Root on 13:24 - Mar 26 with 694 viewsHorsham

Is Joe Root on 12:29 - Mar 26 by Guthrum

Stokes I think not, for much the same reason as Botham and Flintoff. Inspirational, yes, but not sure he's enough of a tactician.

I don't know whether Burns is good enough with the bat to cope with the usual loss of form once burdened with Captaincy.

Really not sure. Leach?

I think Stokes is a bit of a different beast to Flintoff and Botham in terms of character. More serious, both of the other 2 were serious competitors but I think character wise Stokes is a bit of a one off.

Really don’t think Root should still be doing it. Stokes is surely the only alternative.
Login to get fewer ads

Is Joe Root on 13:42 - Mar 26 with 665 viewsmylittletown

Is Joe Root on 13:24 - Mar 26 by Horsham

I think Stokes is a bit of a different beast to Flintoff and Botham in terms of character. More serious, both of the other 2 were serious competitors but I think character wise Stokes is a bit of a one off.

Really don’t think Root should still be doing it. Stokes is surely the only alternative.

I agree that Stokes is a completely different character from the other two, but he has always said he didn't want to do it. I don't think that it was just a team political stance either, he seemed genuine.
Wanting to do it is an important factor!
Is Joe Root on 14:46 - Mar 26 with 606 viewsSteve_M

Is Joe Root on 12:23 - Mar 26 by chicoazul

Up until the India tour at the start of last year, England's recent record was still quite reasonable and there were some signs of Root intuiting things as a captain that worked. Probably without the - all too frequent - batting collapses then that record would still look ok now. So, not sure how mucho if that is really down to Root.

A large part of the problem for any replacement is that no one else is quite certain of a Test place, Stokes if fit and maybe Bairstow (Yes, his form has been mixed) but feels like there's not another player with any solid claim to a place in the team let alone the captaincy.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Is Joe Root on 14:24 - Mar 27 with 476 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Is Joe Root on 12:29 - Mar 26 by Guthrum

Really not sure. Leach?

That's the craziest thing about Root is his batting has bren superb with the burden of captaincy but his captaincy has been underwhelming.

Again though the question is who else do you give it to? No real other candidates.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Is Joe Root on 14:38 - Mar 27 with 453 viewsRadlett_blue

Is Joe Root on 13:42 - Mar 26 by mylittletown

I agree that Stokes is a completely different character from the other two, but he has always said he didn't want to do it. I don't think that it was just a team political stance either, he seemed genuine.
Wanting to do it is an important factor!

Stokes seems the only viable candidate as it's hard to suggest any other England players who can currently be sure of their place. Bairstow, probably.
Stokes seems to give Root a lot of input, but maybe he doesn't want the extra pressure & media attention that goes with the captaincy.
Root does seem bereft tactically, but England are a poor Test side at the moment & would struggle whoever was the captain. Root shouldn't be sacked as we don't want to pi$$ off our best player; Strauss or whoever should sit down with him & persuade him to give up the captaincy as long as he can also persuade Stokes or Bairstow (or maybe even Foakes, who should stay in the Test side) to do the job.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024