Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I don’t watch any championship football 19:15 - Mar 26 with 2089 viewstextbackup

So question to those that do…

If this team were currently in the championship how would we get on?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I don’t watch any championship football on 20:25 - Mar 26 with 1925 viewsSwansea_Blue

Comfortably, I expect. We’d need to be a bit more clinical. I think we’d control games similarly, but teams can hurt you a lot quicker if they get half a chance on the break. It is hard to judge, but I’ve seen a fair amount of Championship football this year and not many teams control a game like us. If you’ve got that team shape and understanding, you can normally take it up a league. We have the individual quality too, so I’d have no concerns about us playing in the Championship.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

8th, on goal difference. (n/t) on 20:27 - Mar 26 with 1910 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

I don’t watch any championship football on 20:28 - Mar 26 with 1899 viewsFrimleyBlue

Have watched a few Fulham games recently as they seem to be on sky every week.

I've felt we're very similar apart from their striker and set pieces causes alot of problems for their opponents, but the football itself is very similar and I think if they are the best then we're not that far off. not as far as it looked like we were 6 months ago.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

I don’t watch any championship football on 20:34 - Mar 26 with 1870 viewsFunge

We would be top of the league with a GD of +50.

We are the mighty Ipswich; all other teams are fcking w@nk.

(Honestly, if McK is the real deal, we could be pushing for play-offs. Most likely 13th?)
[Post edited 26 Mar 2022 20:34]
I don’t watch any championship football on 20:37 - Mar 26 with 1848 viewsVic

I’ve been wondering this. But then I tell myself that we’re not even top 6 in the form table in Lg 1! We’re raving about our football, but truth remains that over the last 8 or 9 games several teams have got more points than us.

Is it really down to our inability to score enough goals?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

I don’t watch any championship football on 20:41 - Mar 26 with 1828 viewsclive_baker

It’s a heck of a lot easier to stay up than go up, in the respect that the level of consistency required for the latter, and the mental strength is completely different. I think it’s natural to look at sides that go up and come back down, which happens a lot, but we’re a slightly different proposition in that our owners will invest, and we’ll have a fan base & budget that compares pretty well at Championship level. We wouldn’t be a Rotherham going up.

I think our current squad would need some help, but honestly I think if we went up we would slot into the middle of the Championship relatively comfortably with some considered additions. We’re a very well organised side.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I don’t watch any championship football on 20:42 - Mar 26 with 1806 viewsSwansea_Blue

I don’t watch any championship football on 20:28 - Mar 26 by FrimleyBlue

Have watched a few Fulham games recently as they seem to be on sky every week.

I've felt we're very similar apart from their striker and set pieces causes alot of problems for their opponents, but the football itself is very similar and I think if they are the best then we're not that far off. not as far as it looked like we were 6 months ago.

Fulham have the firepower, that’s the difference. I watched them the other week when they came down here and Swansea didn’t let them have the ball for about 40 mins. Then there was a sending off and Fulham steam rollered them in the 2nd half. But 11 v 11 Fulham weren’t all that at all. We play better (albeit in a lower league).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

ha (n/t) on 20:47 - Mar 26 with 1761 viewsDyland

I don’t watch any championship football on 20:34 - Mar 26 by Funge

We would be top of the league with a GD of +50.

We are the mighty Ipswich; all other teams are fcking w@nk.

(Honestly, if McK is the real deal, we could be pushing for play-offs. Most likely 13th?)
[Post edited 26 Mar 2022 20:34]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

I don’t watch any championship football on 20:52 - Mar 26 with 1709 viewsBiGDonnie

Against the form team in the league we were a cut above today.

The starting 11 today, mid-table. A couple of solid additions up top and we'd be fighting for the playoffs.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

I don’t watch any championship football on 21:55 - Mar 26 with 1551 viewsbournemouthblue

Footballing wise we are fine, there's some very talented players in this side

The touch and skills from Celina, Aluko and Chaplin are way above League One standard

In terms of strikers, we aren't clinical enough and I don't think McKenna really had a striker that fits his system yet

Based on what I saw today, Norwood is the closest to it but I'd suggest a real physical athlete with some pace and plenty of fitness would be really useful for us

Which puzzles me why they haven't wanted to look at Tyreece Simpson

I fear we simply won't get to find out on that one

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

I don’t watch any championship football on 22:49 - Mar 26 with 1434 viewsFreddies_Ears

I have seen quite a lot of Championship football this season. Our current line-up would be bottom-6, probably bottom-3. But if we were promoted, we would invest and improve, finishing bottom half but safe.
I don’t watch any championship football on 08:00 - Mar 27 with 1236 viewsChrisd

There’s a huge gap between L1 and the Championship now, for all the good form we’ve shown over recent months, we’d have to strengthen to be competitive.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

I don’t watch any championship football on 09:19 - Mar 27 with 1128 viewsScout38

I don’t watch any championship football on 08:00 - Mar 27 by Chrisd

There’s a huge gap between L1 and the Championship now, for all the good form we’ve shown over recent months, we’d have to strengthen to be competitive.

Look at Rotherham, Wigan and Wycombe. The gap is huge. 5 or 6 new players needed to survive and virtually a whole new team needed to challenge for the top 6.
I don’t watch any championship football on 09:36 - Mar 27 with 1092 viewstractorboy1978

I don’t watch any championship football on 08:00 - Mar 27 by Chrisd

There's two decent sides that are a lot better than the rest, but it's much of a muchness after that. I think all of the current top 9 in L1 would be pretty confident they could stay up.
I don’t watch any championship football on 09:53 - Mar 27 with 1067 viewsChrisd

I don’t watch any championship football on 09:36 - Mar 27 by tractorboy1978

There's two decent sides that are a lot better than the rest, but it's much of a muchness after that. I think all of the current top 9 in L1 would be pretty confident they could stay up.

Got to respectfully disagree. Did you watch Forest last week against Liverpool? Have a look at the sides that got promoted last season - Peterborough- 23rd, Hull - 20th and Blackpool 13th. Not really setting the world alight in the Championship. We've still got quite a lot of areas that need strengthen even in our starting XI and that's to get us competitive IMO.

I don’t watch any championship football on 10:07 - Mar 27 with 1027 viewstractorboy1978

I don’t watch any championship football on 09:53 - Mar 27 by Chrisd

Got to respectfully disagree. Did you watch Forest last week against Liverpool? Have a look at the sides that got promoted last season - Peterborough- 23rd, Hull - 20th and Blackpool 13th. Not really setting the world alight in the Championship. We've still got quite a lot of areas that need strengthen even in our starting XI and that's to get us competitive IMO.

There's a lot of sides that are good on their day but I wouldn't say it is an enormous gulf. Blackpool are 13th with a very similar squad to the one we beat twice last season. They are well coached though and obviously improved. Same with Luton, they are 3rd operating on a shoestring, but they have a talented manager.

This squad is only going to improve working with McKenna - making us a solid Championship team would be more a case of tweaks than major surgery.
I don’t watch any championship football on 10:10 - Mar 27 with 1016 viewsBlueNomad

I don’t watch any championship football on 09:53 - Mar 27 by Chrisd

Didn’t we think that in 2000?
I don’t watch any championship football on 10:22 - Mar 27 with 994 viewspointofblue

There is still a sizeable gap in quality between the Championship and League One. At this stage I think we would be fighting against relegation; our success dependant on if we could convert any chances we were able to create.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I don’t watch any championship football on 11:57 - Mar 27 with 877 viewsBigCommon

We'd probably hold our own, imo.. EG, stay up...
But we lack depth in our squad, and we lack a consistent striker...
The strength of our midfield is heavily reliant on Morsy's availability..

I think we've got a decent 1st eleven spine.. In the Summer, instead of a "demolition" job, we are , now, in a position to add wisely, in the same way that Wigan did this year...

Personally, I think , that if we get it right and with another 12 months of McKenna's philosophy, and the right strengthening, then, building a side capable of a double promotion, is not out of the question. Via Champinship play offs, 2 years from now??
Bold statement, I know.. But, McKenna's only been here around 3 months.. And he hasn't got all the tools required, yet... I think that's the cause of frustration, we sometimes see, post match. When we haven't quite finished games off.. He knows what he needs, but hands are tied until the next window. Or, until he's had a good length of time to further coach and improve, some of our existing bunch...
My overall view is, that our current squad would most likely stay up, in the Championship. But would be scrapping it out, mid /lower table...
An improved squad, that gains promotion next season, would be better equipped (with even further additions should we go up), to have a realistic go at the Championship play offs... Just my op'
I don’t watch any championship football on 12:09 - Mar 27 with 849 viewsChrisd

I don’t watch any championship football on 10:07 - Mar 27 by tractorboy1978

There's a lot of sides that are good on their day but I wouldn't say it is an enormous gulf. Blackpool are 13th with a very similar squad to the one we beat twice last season. They are well coached though and obviously improved. Same with Luton, they are 3rd operating on a shoestring, but they have a talented manager.

This squad is only going to improve working with McKenna - making us a solid Championship team would be more a case of tweaks than major surgery.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you need to have a look again at the number of changes Blackpool made with their playing staff from when they got promoted from L1 because it certainly wasn't the squad we beat twice last season.

I don’t watch any championship football on 12:25 - Mar 27 with 802 viewstractorboy1978

I don’t watch any championship football on 12:09 - Mar 27 by Chrisd

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you need to have a look again at the number of changes Blackpool made with their playing staff from when they got promoted from L1 because it certainly wasn't the squad we beat twice last season.

They regularly have 7/8 of last season's squad starting. Perhaps not the same squad entirely but the crux of it is the side that got promoted. That was my point really, they've had a solid season without ripping it up and starting again. And on paper our squad is better than the one they got promoted with!
I don’t watch any championship football on 14:14 - Mar 27 with 706 viewsChrisd

I don’t watch any championship football on 12:25 - Mar 27 by tractorboy1978

They regularly have 7/8 of last season's squad starting. Perhaps not the same squad entirely but the crux of it is the side that got promoted. That was my point really, they've had a solid season without ripping it up and starting again. And on paper our squad is better than the one they got promoted with!

Not from what I've seen. Look at their departures and arrivals during the season on the link below, a huge turnover of players:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-blackpool/transfers/verein/1181

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024