Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The art of original chants 12:30 - Mar 28 with 2266 viewsAsa

It is properly dead now isn't it.

Pompey and Argyle both had massive, vocal followings and apart from one club related song (Play Up Pompey / Argyle, Argyle) it was the usual 'Football In a Library (which made zero sense Saturday coming seconds after a loud tribute to Mariner), You're Supposed To Be At Home and X Is A Sh*thole, I Wanna Go Home). Sitting near the away fans it's been the same with Sunderland, Wednesday and everyone else for seasons.

I can't remember the last time I heard a genuine, of the moment, match related chant either home or away. Used to be pretty commonplace that something would happen in a match and a chant would get going.

Even the Graham Poll one after the corner debacle was vaguely original but that's going back 20 years!

There must be a plethora of stories about good ones, like the Shilton one (did we come up with that or was it one doing the rounds post-Tina?)
[Post edited 28 Mar 2022 12:32]
The art of original chants on 12:37 - Mar 28 with 2201 viewsSitfcB

“Cowley you’re a cûnt”

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

The art of original chants on 12:37 - Mar 28 with 2198 viewsboroughblue

Fair point, got to admit we seem very devoid of chants this season. Haven't managed to come up with many new songs, only very simple ones for a small selection of players (Bonne, Conor Chaplin baby), an we even use the same song for two players which drives me mad (OHH Bersant Celina and the same for Aluko).

We even can't work out if its Mckenna or Keiron at the wheel as per another thread. FWIW I say Mckenna, but as long as we all eventually sing the same I can't say I'm bothered.

But yea, Pompey have only ever had about 2 songs. But I suppose that goes for most clubs. Our Allez Allez chant is our biggest one isn't it.
The art of original chants on 12:39 - Mar 28 with 2182 viewsAsa

The art of original chants on 12:37 - Mar 28 by SitfcB

“Cowley you’re a cûnt”

That's surely just because Warnock has retired now and passed over the tune (that every clubs fans seems to have serenaded him with) to another, younger manager?
[Post edited 28 Mar 2022 12:41]
The art of original chants on 12:44 - Mar 28 with 2133 viewsclive_baker

Blue Moon, you got promoted too soon. Etc. About the last properly imaginative one I can remember, oh and Finidi's song, that was a bit different.

Occasionally one pops up elsewhere, like Will Grigg which took over Euro 2016. But it's rare, same tedious repertoire from most fans.

I would suggest the onus for this might fall on, I don't know, those who have some experience of writing songs....

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The art of original chants on 12:46 - Mar 28 with 2117 viewsVeggie

Are the acoustics at the ground really that bad? In the North Stand the atmosphere was probably the best it’s been all season yet they claim it was like a library.
The art of original chants on 12:52 - Mar 28 with 2089 viewsAsa

The art of original chants on 12:46 - Mar 28 by Veggie

Are the acoustics at the ground really that bad? In the North Stand the atmosphere was probably the best it’s been all season yet they claim it was like a library.

It's a really weird one.

I have family members in Sir Bobby. We are in Sir Alf.

A couple of times this season they've said the atmosphere in the North was electric but it's sounded really flat from where we are. By contrast the away fans sound very loud and our fans have commented that they barely heard anything from them.

I know the acoustics in the North are shot to bits since the second tier but the two sets of supporters are so far apart that it seems to both sets of fans as if there's no noise coming from the other end.

But then I was at Morecambe in the stand at the side and it was a proper flat atmosphere it there. Like nothing. After all the other away games I've done this season have been rocking. Then had plenty of mates behind the goal at Morecambe say the atmosphere was class.

Unless the vocal majorities are next to each other, which we all know they won't be at FPR, then it's something that will continue. I was in the Directors Box for Cheltenham and it was incredible how much noisier the North sounded (for a 0-0 draw) and it can't just be that night was the best atmosphere, so definitely a lot of sound getting lost from one end to the other.
The art of original chants on 12:54 - Mar 28 with 2074 viewsAsa

The art of original chants on 12:44 - Mar 28 by clive_baker

Blue Moon, you got promoted too soon. Etc. About the last properly imaginative one I can remember, oh and Finidi's song, that was a bit different.

Occasionally one pops up elsewhere, like Will Grigg which took over Euro 2016. But it's rare, same tedious repertoire from most fans.

I would suggest the onus for this might fall on, I don't know, those who have some experience of writing songs....

I have plenty of experience of writing songs that nobody wants to sing along with, but that leaves us in the same position.
The art of original chants on 13:03 - Mar 28 with 2020 viewsSitfcB

The art of original chants on 12:54 - Mar 28 by Asa

I have plenty of experience of writing songs that nobody wants to sing along with, but that leaves us in the same position.

Let’s not go to town on this.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Login to get fewer ads

The art of original chants on 13:08 - Mar 28 with 1990 viewsFtnfwest

best outlet for slightly more original ones is those saluting individual players, which for obvious reasons has died a death in recent seasons. Hopefully an improvement in form for an extended spell might turn this around
The art of original chants on 13:10 - Mar 28 with 1982 viewsNthQldITFC

"Thanks Kachloul, for going to the Villa..." was a masterpiece in my eyes, containing, as it did, the superb juxtaposition of the vulgar "Now you're a greedy c**t," with the elegantly constructed "Undeserving of our praises", and ending with the delightful "hernia" reference. Sublime.

Just my ha'p'orth.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The art of original chants on 13:19 - Mar 28 with 1940 viewsNthQldITFC

The art of original chants on 13:10 - Mar 28 by NthQldITFC

"Thanks Kachloul, for going to the Villa..." was a masterpiece in my eyes, containing, as it did, the superb juxtaposition of the vulgar "Now you're a greedy c**t," with the elegantly constructed "Undeserving of our praises", and ending with the delightful "hernia" reference. Sublime.

Just my ha'p'orth.

Further to this, I was much amused by the last paragraph of the following contemporary article about the sordid turncoat.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/2212008/kachloul-should-boost-town

'The Moroccan will hope to avoid any fixtures in France though, as he once got out of joining the French foreign legion by feigning madness in his younger days.'

The art of original chants on 17:09 - Mar 29 with 1617 viewsVeggie

The art of original chants on 12:52 - Mar 28 by Asa

It's a really weird one.

I have family members in Sir Bobby. We are in Sir Alf.

A couple of times this season they've said the atmosphere in the North was electric but it's sounded really flat from where we are. By contrast the away fans sound very loud and our fans have commented that they barely heard anything from them.

I know the acoustics in the North are shot to bits since the second tier but the two sets of supporters are so far apart that it seems to both sets of fans as if there's no noise coming from the other end.

But then I was at Morecambe in the stand at the side and it was a proper flat atmosphere it there. Like nothing. After all the other away games I've done this season have been rocking. Then had plenty of mates behind the goal at Morecambe say the atmosphere was class.

Unless the vocal majorities are next to each other, which we all know they won't be at FPR, then it's something that will continue. I was in the Directors Box for Cheltenham and it was incredible how much noisier the North sounded (for a 0-0 draw) and it can't just be that night was the best atmosphere, so definitely a lot of sound getting lost from one end to the other.

It’s was definitely electric on Saturday. Maybe the new owners can sort out some kind of way of ‘enhancing’ the sound, like they do at Spurs? I’m not sure what technology that entails but would be good if it’s possible.
The art of original chants on 17:20 - Mar 29 with 1589 viewsPablo_Counago

The art of original chants on 17:09 - Mar 29 by Veggie

It’s was definitely electric on Saturday. Maybe the new owners can sort out some kind of way of ‘enhancing’ the sound, like they do at Spurs? I’m not sure what technology that entails but would be good if it’s possible.

Well in America that have some bloke at the front with a mic and an amp

I'm certainly hoping thats not a plan the new owners have to bolster loudness from fans...
The art of original chants on 17:23 - Mar 29 with 1578 viewsAsa

The art of original chants on 17:09 - Mar 29 by Veggie

It must have been.

Even the Sir Alf stand was singing at one point! A sure sign that the North must be rocking.
The art of original chants on 17:53 - Mar 29 with 1466 viewsjontysnut

I saw a tweet a few weeks ago which mentioned Frank Skinner's recollection of a 70s WBA song, sung to the tune of Dixie: something like this

I wish I was in London
Oh yes, oh yes
I'd go down to Trafalgar Square and say to Admiral Nelson
F... off, F... off
You one-eyed cockney b@stud

Genius, inspired choice of Dixie, the targeting of a national hero and effortless invective.

Someone pointed out Nelson was actually from Norfolk, so.
"Jackett you're a coat" (n/t) on 17:54 - Mar 29 with 1461 viewsBloots

The art of original chants on 12:37 - Mar 28 by SitfcB

“Cowley you’re a cûnt”

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

The art of original chants on 18:30 - Mar 29 with 1388 viewsdominiciawful

The art of original chants on 17:20 - Mar 29 by Pablo_Counago

Well in America that have some bloke at the front with a mic and an amp

I'm certainly hoping thats not a plan the new owners have to bolster loudness from fans...

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

The art of original chants on 19:05 - Mar 29 with 1338 viewsNthQldITFC

The art of original chants on 18:30 - Mar 29 by dominiciawful

Zombie.

"Jackett you're a coat" (n/t) on 19:46 - Mar 29 with 1271 viewsSeablu

"Jackett you're a coat" (n/t) on 17:54 - Mar 29 by Bloots

Heckingbottom you’re a blunt.
The art of original chants on 20:47 - Mar 29 with 1178 viewsRyorry

One of the weirdest I heard about was just this evening, via a R4x 'Soul Music' episode featuring, of all things, the hymn 'The Lord is my Shepherd', which used to be sung as the anthem at West Brom. Quite something to hear the full ground there belting it out - only the first verse, but all words correct!

Adrian Goldberg explained it was a response to matches being shifted to Sundays in 1974 because of the miners' strike & ensuing powercuts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05tkzn5
12.01-15.03
[Post edited 29 Mar 2022 20:56]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The art of original chants on 20:52 - Mar 29 with 1165 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

I know. I should stick to tweaking the lyrics to Cage's 4′33″ .....

Give the ball to Burns please won't you, Santi
Taking on the fullback, tell him get the ball across
Make your late run straight towards the goalmouth
But don't forget to give the ball to Burns.
(Johnny Cash - Give My Love to Rose)

Bakinson oh Bakinson
Midfield maestro in the making
And we watch the talent waking
He was 21 (OK a little license)
When we signed Bakinson
(Glen Campbell - Galveston)

The day you signed I knew we needed you so
And if we have the chance we'll never let you go
And from the day you started
We never can be parted
You'll make 'em turn their heads every game you play

So won't you, please
Stay our Sami Morsy
Say you'll stay our skipper
Stay our Morsy now
Wha oh oh oh
(Ronettes - Be My Baby)

Ah you can talk about old Pep, Jurgen too
But we've got Keiran, he's a blue
Ah Portman Road, we're going to Portman Road
We're going to Portman Road
Everybody's going to Portman Road
(Ray Charles - Mess Around)

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

The art of original chants on 20:53 - Mar 29 with 1150 viewsSkip_Intro

If you mean the 'he comes from Africa/ he rides a big tractor' chant that was a rip off of the Vieira chant at Arsenal...
The art of original chants on 20:55 - Mar 29 with 1143 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

The art of original chants on 20:47 - Mar 29 by Ryorry

One of the weirdest I heard about was just this evening, via a R4x 'Soul Music' episode featuring, of all things, the hymn 'The Lord is my Shepherd', which used to be sung as the anthem at West Brom. Quite something to hear the full ground there belting it out - only the first verse, but all words correct!

Adrian Goldberg explained it was a response to matches being shifted to Sundays in 1974 because of the miners' strike & ensuing powercuts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05tkzn5
12.01-15.03
[Post edited 29 Mar 2022 20:56]

Psalm 23.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/09/11/ch

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

The art of original chants on 20:57 - Mar 29 with 1131 viewsRyorry

The art of original chants on 20:55 - Mar 29 by You_Bloo_Right

Psalm 23.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/09/11/ch

Yep.

Edit: Prog didn't mention that version of why the Albion adopted it tho, thanks!
[Post edited 29 Mar 2022 21:00]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024