Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home 15:54 - Mar 28 with 2765 viewsgordon

Is it still going to be Joe Root? Of the rest, it's difficult to see who would be good at it & good enough and fit enough to be a regular pick - Stuart Broad might be a useful choice as captain for the summer. Would certainly be surprised if we saw much more of Craig Overton, Chris Woakes and Mark Wood - think we'd be better moving on from all of them, and seeing a bit more of Broad and Anderson alongside Mahmood and Robinson.

Would have been great to see Matt Parkinson have a go in the Windies, but would be a difficult debut in May against NZ.

Of the batsmen no one really did badly enough to be dropped, without anyone doing particularly well.
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 16:00 - Mar 28 with 2269 viewschicoazul

I raised this the other day and as many people rightly said, there simply is nobody else. Very worried NZ are going to absolutely hump us.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 16:08 - Mar 28 with 2254 viewsgordon

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 16:00 - Mar 28 by chicoazul

I raised this the other day and as many people rightly said, there simply is nobody else. Very worried NZ are going to absolutely hump us.

Indeed, but think Joe might understandably just say he's had enough now.
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 16:11 - Mar 28 with 2245 viewsXYZ

Grasp the nettle that a change needs to happen.

Given that, Broad's the only sensible option.

Improve the FEC nurturing team.
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 16:18 - Mar 28 with 2230 viewsJakeITFC

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 16:00 - Mar 28 by chicoazul

They absolutely will.

I love Root but he has to step aside now, I'd be tempted to go with Broad for the summer but it leaves the same questions for the winter/next year. I don't think it's right to give it to Stokes (who has said he doesn't want it) or Buttler (who isn't really going to provide much difference to Root considering he's been vice captain for a while).

With that in mind you look at the county game and maybe pick an inventive captain there - give Billings the gloves and captaincy? Hope that Vince being given that responsibility helps him to concentrate in the top order?
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 16:23 - Mar 28 with 2221 viewsIpswichKnight

I would not be surprised to see Sam Billings as captain and keeper, Foakes was deeply underwhelming in the Windies. Has a real feel for a new captain and coach for start of our summer.

As soon as the ball did something we collapsed in a heep with all the old favourites Crawley nicking off, comical run out, collapsing to medium pacer who wouldn’t get in most counties 2nd XI.

Overton would have played all 3 if hadn’t been Ill. We keep managing to pick the wrong team and it obvious Root doesn’t want a leggie, selectors can keep picking Parkinson but with Root as captain he will never play. Saw nothing in Fisher other than an honest trundler think Sam Cook would get more international wickets than him ( attacks the pads and outside edge ).
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 16:34 - Mar 28 with 2198 viewsmylittletown

In England, Woakes has a better Test record than Anderson or Broad.

From Wisden

'In English conditions, Woakes takes a wicket every 44.5 balls he bowls in Test cricket. A phenomenal record that is superior to either Anderson (51.5) or Broad (50.6). In fact, no one has taken as many Test wickets in England as Woakes at a better strike rate.'
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 16:43 - Mar 28 with 2178 viewsstonojnr

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 16:11 - Mar 28 by XYZ

but you might have noticed Broad isnt in the current squad, and I dont believe for a minute the spin Strauss gave about why Anderson & Broad were being left out for this series had anything to do with trying out future bowling options.

So until he is picked again, he cant be captain, and I think its only 50/50 he will be picked again because it would show the ECB decision makers, that go right to the top remember, made a mistake and they never admit they make mistakes like that, just read KPs biography to see how the ECB functions in situations like this.

and especially as the current group of selectors, even if Root steps down, who agreed to drop him & Anderson, will remain in place, so whats changed ? theyll no doubt conclude England only lost the series because the batting line up still needs tweaking and we need to declare in games sooner, which in some ways are weirdly contradictory positions about batting if you think about it, Im sure none of them will publically at least admit we might have stood a better chance with bowlers who are able to take 20 wickets.

so I think it is still, and I believed this before and after the Ashes, it is Roots position to carry on holding, until he chooses to step down, as there simply isnt anyone else in the test team who can step up, and that is as much the most damning part of the mess the ECB have made with test and first class cricket.
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 16:44 - Mar 28 with 2171 viewsFtnfwest

We more or less have to accept that we just aren't very good. Root probably needs to go as captain as he just isn't good as one.
Batting - as you say not much change. Crawley is too talented to drop but he's really not an opener and wouldn't mind seeing him back at 3 and Root 4.
Broad and Anderson to return, the latter possibly as captain - must admit i never thought of him as one but worth a short term go. Woakes should only play if one of those is injured at least in this country because he is a good bat as well. Mahmood and Robinson complete our best 4 seam bowlers in the absence of Wood and Archer. So i'd play 3 of those 4 plus stokes, but i was a bit non-plussed by the windies tour in terms of stokes who was suddenly back to being a frontline bowler whereas he's been very much a 4th seamer at best for couple of years.
Having said all that, Strauss won't bring back A & B i don't think... internal politics etc.
Login to get fewer ads

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 16:49 - Mar 28 with 2144 viewsmylittletown

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 16:44 - Mar 28 by Ftnfwest

We more or less have to accept that we just aren't very good. Root probably needs to go as captain as he just isn't good as one.
Batting - as you say not much change. Crawley is too talented to drop but he's really not an opener and wouldn't mind seeing him back at 3 and Root 4.
Broad and Anderson to return, the latter possibly as captain - must admit i never thought of him as one but worth a short term go. Woakes should only play if one of those is injured at least in this country because he is a good bat as well. Mahmood and Robinson complete our best 4 seam bowlers in the absence of Wood and Archer. So i'd play 3 of those 4 plus stokes, but i was a bit non-plussed by the windies tour in terms of stokes who was suddenly back to being a frontline bowler whereas he's been very much a 4th seamer at best for couple of years.
Having said all that, Strauss won't bring back A & B i don't think... internal politics etc.

As pointed out above, Woakes is the obvious first pick bowler in England. The stats don't lie.
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 17:01 - Mar 28 with 2125 viewsgordon

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 16:43 - Mar 28 by stonojnr

but you might have noticed Broad isnt in the current squad, and I dont believe for a minute the spin Strauss gave about why Anderson & Broad were being left out for this series had anything to do with trying out future bowling options.

So until he is picked again, he cant be captain, and I think its only 50/50 he will be picked again because it would show the ECB decision makers, that go right to the top remember, made a mistake and they never admit they make mistakes like that, just read KPs biography to see how the ECB functions in situations like this.

and especially as the current group of selectors, even if Root steps down, who agreed to drop him & Anderson, will remain in place, so whats changed ? theyll no doubt conclude England only lost the series because the batting line up still needs tweaking and we need to declare in games sooner, which in some ways are weirdly contradictory positions about batting if you think about it, Im sure none of them will publically at least admit we might have stood a better chance with bowlers who are able to take 20 wickets.

so I think it is still, and I believed this before and after the Ashes, it is Roots position to carry on holding, until he chooses to step down, as there simply isnt anyone else in the test team who can step up, and that is as much the most damning part of the mess the ECB have made with test and first class cricket.

There'll be a new coach in place though, and unless it's just one of the usual Collingwood/Giles/Strauss types, which it almost certainly won't be, then that coach will have full say on who to pick and make captain etc. Someone like Mickey Arthur or Gary Kirsten would definitely say I'll have my best team thanks, irrespective of Strauss's red ball reset.
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 17:05 - Mar 28 with 2122 viewsgordon

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 16:49 - Mar 28 by mylittletown

As pointed out above, Woakes is the obvious first pick bowler in England. The stats don't lie.

Sure, but if they were all fit then Robinson, Mahmood and Archer all have more potential to win tests abroad, where Woakes is pretty useless.
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 17:27 - Mar 28 with 2101 viewsIpswichKnight

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 17:05 - Mar 28 by gordon

Sure, but if they were all fit then Robinson, Mahmood and Archer all have more potential to win tests abroad, where Woakes is pretty useless.

You can add Stone and Wood to that and also argue that all of them are better in England than Woakes as well.
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 18:43 - Mar 28 with 2071 viewsXYZ

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 17:01 - Mar 28 by gordon

There'll be a new coach in place though, and unless it's just one of the usual Collingwood/Giles/Strauss types, which it almost certainly won't be, then that coach will have full say on who to pick and make captain etc. Someone like Mickey Arthur or Gary Kirsten would definitely say I'll have my best team thanks, irrespective of Strauss's red ball reset.

Picking your team most likely to win your next test match is a radical idea England could adopt.

Justin Langer as coach; 2 years of Broad as captain; potential successors to Broad identified and groomed. England will improve.
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 18:50 - Mar 28 with 2062 viewsjas0999

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 16:11 - Mar 28 by XYZ

Broad is very much past his best though and not a long term option as he doesn’t tour well nowadays. In fact, he has only glimpses of his past brilliance and will often bowl the occasional good spell. He would also use all of our reviews in the first three balls!

Woakes could potentially be a better option.
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 19:03 - Mar 28 with 2052 viewsmylittletown

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 17:27 - Mar 28 by IpswichKnight

You can add Stone and Wood to that and also argue that all of them are better in England than Woakes as well.

There is absolutely no argument whatever to say that any of them are better than Woakes in England, unless you just want to ignore facts.
To repeat. No one has taken as many Test wickets in England as Woakes at a better strike rate. Ever.
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 20:11 - Mar 28 with 2001 viewsAce_High1

A change of captain is a must, Root is a great batsmen but no where near a leader of men or tactically astute enough. He is better being the cheeky joker in the dressing room and left to concentrate on his batting.

Broad or Bairstow are the only options, we can't burden Stokes with it, he has enough to do.

Some of the talk about brining someone new in like Billings or Vince - they are not good enough to play regular test cricket which has long since been proven.

More worrying when listening to a podcast was the names in the hat for Director of Cricket - Mark Nicholas and Rob Key were linked, bloody hell!! Media personalities.

Whatever we do, the number 1 item on the agenda must be to pick your best 11 for each match and try to win, none of this planning for 3 years time, rest and rotate rubbish.
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 20:55 - Mar 28 with 1956 viewsMaySixth

Tom Abell would be the really bold, logical choice.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 21:12 - Mar 28 with 1929 viewsBlueForYou

Have read comments elsewhere regarding Sam Billings, & I think he’d be a good option as keeper, batsman, captain. He’s pretty good at all of those. As a player he’s quality, but has been blocked for years behind Bairstow, Butler, Foakes & forced into playing 20/20. You get more for your money with Billings. There are good players who can still come into the side,
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 21:15 - Mar 28 with 1909 viewsMaySixth

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 21:12 - Mar 28 by BlueForYou

Have read comments elsewhere regarding Sam Billings, & I think he’d be a good option as keeper, batsman, captain. He’s pretty good at all of those. As a player he’s quality, but has been blocked for years behind Bairstow, Butler, Foakes & forced into playing 20/20. You get more for your money with Billings. There are good players who can still come into the side,

Foakes is a far better batsman and wicketkeeper than Sam Billings.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 07:42 - Mar 29 with 1806 viewsCoastalblue

I don't follow the County game these days, am guessig there's no Mike Brearley/Keith Fletcher type super astute Captain to come in for a year or two with prime role as Captain?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 08:12 - Mar 29 with 1789 viewsSaleAway

I'm baffled with this obsession with changing the captain. This team are fundamentally not very good - as the saying goes, can't bat, can't bowl, can't field. Doesn't matter if you put one of the great captains in, they can't make batsmen not play stupid shots, or bowlers be able to get their lengths right.

As a nation we seem incapable of creating a cricket eco system that gives proper space for both one day and test cricket, and whilst we flip flop between focussing on one or other of them, we will be good at one or the other, not both.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 09:00 - Mar 29 with 1752 viewsmylittletown

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 08:12 - Mar 29 by SaleAway

I'm baffled with this obsession with changing the captain. This team are fundamentally not very good - as the saying goes, can't bat, can't bowl, can't field. Doesn't matter if you put one of the great captains in, they can't make batsmen not play stupid shots, or bowlers be able to get their lengths right.

As a nation we seem incapable of creating a cricket eco system that gives proper space for both one day and test cricket, and whilst we flip flop between focussing on one or other of them, we will be good at one or the other, not both.

They can set decent fields, apply pressure at the right time, change plans when they are clearly not working etc.
Joe has been failing in each of those, but there really isn't a sensible alternative at the moment.
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 09:15 - Mar 29 with 1735 viewsIpswichKnight

England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 09:00 - Mar 29 by mylittletown

They can set decent fields, apply pressure at the right time, change plans when they are clearly not working etc.
Joe has been failing in each of those, but there really isn't a sensible alternative at the moment.

Good captains raise there team, Hussain made a bang average England team with similar bowling attack ( actually probably worse ) a good side by simply saying we’re not rolling over you will have to fight for every run or wicket and if we lose it will be deep on the 5th day. They had plans and executed them, Giles firing it down Tendulkars leg side to get him stumped!
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 09:35 - Apr 15 with 1533 viewsgordon

Here we go then, be interesting to see what happens - should be Broad really, but if Strauss is in charge he'll probs bring back Jos Buttler as an opener / captain or something equally stupid.
England cricket captain against New Zealand at home on 15:40 - Apr 15 with 1434 viewssolemio

Good timing re Craig Overton. This morning he took 7 Essex wickets - or at least 7 yesterday evening and this morning.

The problem with Parkinson is that he can't field, can't bat and is not such a good spinner as Jack Leach.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024