Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joining some dots together... 08:45 - Mar 30 with 1347 viewstractorboy1978

Sam Williams with a background in academy scouting
Gary Probert with a background in academy management and youth development
McKenna with a background in coaching elite youth teams and player development

It's pretty clear the direction we are going in. McKenna said himself last night he wants to build around a young, hungry, technical base of players. I think we are going to see a few Dominic Thompson types come in over the summer. Would make sense why Dyer feels a bit threatened for his group of U23s. That being said, we have a team in place now that I think will give game time to players that prove themselves to be 'elite' - the bar is going to be raised and challenge laid down.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2022 8:46]
Joining some dots together... on 09:18 - Mar 30 with 1206 viewsDarth_Koont

Makes sense if that’s a conscious approach.

The top teams we’ll be competing against over the next few years (League One and then the Championship) all have the money to buy and pay the wages of players who are the finished article (or close to it). Even us fans can pretty much do that part.

Where there’s an edge to be gained may well be in the development of younger players, which takes more insight and skill over a longer period.

That shouldn’t necessarily mean a block to our existing U23 players (a few of whom would be fast-tracked in such a system like Humphreys, Simpson and Baggott). But probably means the bar is a fair bit higher than it has been in recent years for the players just below them in ability/potential.

That’s the same for our first-teamers too so I don’t see any inconsistency/inequality with that higher standard and extra competition. I suppose the problem is how we get these promising youngsters game time to develop in that more competitive environment – and I’m not sure the loan system works all that well unless we use it more sparingly.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2022 9:22]

Pronouns: He/Him

Joining some dots together... on 09:24 - Mar 30 with 1155 viewsitfcjoe

Joining some dots together... on 09:18 - Mar 30 by Darth_Koont

The top teams we’ll be competing against over the next few years (League One and then the Championship) all have the money to buy and pay the wages of players who are the finished article (or close to it). Even us fans can pretty much do that part.

Where there’s an edge to be gained may well be in the development of younger players, which takes more insight and skill over a longer period.

That shouldn’t necessarily mean a block to our existing U23 players (a few of whom would be fast-tracked in such a system like Humphreys, Simpson and Baggott). But probably means the bar is a fair bit higher than it has been in recent years for the players just below them in ability/potential.

That’s the same for our first-teamers too so I don’t see any inconsistency/inequality with that higher standard and extra competition. I suppose the problem is how we get these promising youngsters game time to develop in that more competitive environment – and I’m not sure the loan system works all that well unless we use it more sparingly.

It surprises me how Ashton talks about the only difference between cat 1 and cat 2 being the games programme as though that is a minor thing.

Whenever you've heard anyone from this end talking about why we need to be Cat 1 it is always about needing the games programme to test our boys against, to raise their standards.

If we want to focus on youth dev like that, to me it's imperative that we try to get to Cat 1 as the standard is just so much higher - all these guys have worked in Cat 1 academies almost exclusively like McKenna, Pert etc

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Joining some dots together... on 09:58 - Mar 30 with 1024 viewsFixed_It

Joining some dots together... on 09:24 - Mar 30 by itfcjoe

It surprises me how Ashton talks about the only difference between cat 1 and cat 2 being the games programme as though that is a minor thing.

Whenever you've heard anyone from this end talking about why we need to be Cat 1 it is always about needing the games programme to test our boys against, to raise their standards.

If we want to focus on youth dev like that, to me it's imperative that we try to get to Cat 1 as the standard is just so much higher - all these guys have worked in Cat 1 academies almost exclusively like McKenna, Pert etc

You would think/hope that these guys will have an influence and that Ashton may come round to their way of thinking.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Joining some dots together... on 10:04 - Mar 30 with 982 viewsvilanovablue

Joining some dots together... on 09:58 - Mar 30 by Fixed_It

You would think/hope that these guys will have an influence and that Ashton may come round to their way of thinking.

It'll probably be an easier conversation in the Championship and I'm happy waiting until then. I think we have other priorities first.
Joining some dots together... on 10:24 - Mar 30 with 895 viewsJakeITFC

Joining some dots together... on 09:24 - Mar 30 by itfcjoe

Or they think they can organise their own games programme to compliment Cat 2 better - Dyer's comments of a behind closed doors game v Wycombe, for example.
Joining some dots together... on 10:30 - Mar 30 with 864 viewsitfcjoe

Joining some dots together... on 10:24 - Mar 30 by JakeITFC

Or they think they can organise their own games programme to compliment Cat 2 better - Dyer's comments of a behind closed doors game v Wycombe, for example.

WE do have more games organised, but ultimately we do have a league schedule to take part in which is of varying quality to be kind.....and the longer it takes us to get to Cat 1 the bigger the gap will be.

But we consitently sit at top end of both our leagues, whilst playing players that are quite young compared to their peers - we had 5 schoolboys in the XI that beat 2nd placed Colchester on Saturday whilst they brought back players who have played for the first team this season.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Joining some dots together... on 11:22 - Mar 30 with 734 viewsVic

A higher bar HAS to be a good thing! We need the bar to be high throughout the club or there is no point in having the academy. If the current crop are not going to make it then it's down to a low bar in the past - sadly we have to move on and look for better in the future. What was good enough for a team slowly going down the leagues is no longer good enough for a club going upwards.

So much as I like KD, if he's not totally onboard then he needed to move on. the club is bigger than any individual, and right now it's all about the club.

Viva le revolution

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Joining some dots together... on 11:31 - Mar 30 with 685 viewsSTYG

Joining some dots together... on 11:22 - Mar 30 by Vic

A higher bar HAS to be a good thing! We need the bar to be high throughout the club or there is no point in having the academy. If the current crop are not going to make it then it's down to a low bar in the past - sadly we have to move on and look for better in the future. What was good enough for a team slowly going down the leagues is no longer good enough for a club going upwards.

So much as I like KD, if he's not totally onboard then he needed to move on. the club is bigger than any individual, and right now it's all about the club.

Viva le revolution

There are few things more joyful in football than 'one of our own' coming through the ranks and rising up into the first team and becoming a stand out player.

The simple fact is though, I don't want a youth player getting minutes because he's better than an average League One player. We have the ambition and the backing to encourage some very good Championship players like Morsy, Celina and Walton to the club now and if a Kieran Dyer comes through then great.

But we are not reliant on it now like other clubs and, despite looking back fondly at the 70's and 80's and how proud we are - the reality then was we'd taken 15 year old boys from Carlisle and Glasgow because we could attract the top talent, not that we'd necessarily brought them all the way through U8's. Bent was a Londoner and an Arsenal fan. Warky, Beat, Burley - none of them were local.

So recruitment of young players will really be key and that gives us a better chance of casting the net wide and bringing in the best than simply relying on attracting and developing the top talent that Lowestoft, Woodbridge or Saxmundham has to offer.

I'd love us to have some local lads like Dyer (or Bonne) if he'd stayed being involved in the side, but the reality is now, with worldwide scouting and especially our resources, the chances of the best possible side we can put together containing a local kid are close to none. What we will clearly see is progressing for players we've managed to attract from Manchester, Holland or Sierra Leone - who come here at 14-15 and end up being top players for us a few years down the line.
Login to get fewer ads

Joining some dots together... on 11:41 - Mar 30 with 636 viewsPinewoodblue

Joining some dots together... on 11:31 - Mar 30 by STYG

There are few things more joyful in football than 'one of our own' coming through the ranks and rising up into the first team and becoming a stand out player.

The simple fact is though, I don't want a youth player getting minutes because he's better than an average League One player. We have the ambition and the backing to encourage some very good Championship players like Morsy, Celina and Walton to the club now and if a Kieran Dyer comes through then great.

But we are not reliant on it now like other clubs and, despite looking back fondly at the 70's and 80's and how proud we are - the reality then was we'd taken 15 year old boys from Carlisle and Glasgow because we could attract the top talent, not that we'd necessarily brought them all the way through U8's. Bent was a Londoner and an Arsenal fan. Warky, Beat, Burley - none of them were local.

So recruitment of young players will really be key and that gives us a better chance of casting the net wide and bringing in the best than simply relying on attracting and developing the top talent that Lowestoft, Woodbridge or Saxmundham has to offer.

I'd love us to have some local lads like Dyer (or Bonne) if he'd stayed being involved in the side, but the reality is now, with worldwide scouting and especially our resources, the chances of the best possible side we can put together containing a local kid are close to none. What we will clearly see is progressing for players we've managed to attract from Manchester, Holland or Sierra Leone - who come here at 14-15 and end up being top players for us a few years down the line.

Which you have a better chance of doing if you are CAT1.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Joining some dots together... on 11:43 - Mar 30 with 613 viewswrightsrightglove

Absolutely this.

This is the only sustainable approach that’s going to get us moving forwards in the right direction without the need for massive investment every season. If we can develop young, hungry players, the type of which will hopefully be attracted to working under our management team, then we have saleable assets to help fund continuing improvements. Hopefully the emphasis is on quality over quantity and we’ll be signing up players who are on the verge of being able to improve the first team, or who will be after a short amount of time improving under McKenna. At some point, whether it’s today, tomorrow or in a few years time, our in house youngsters are going to have to prove that they’re better than the other players in their position at the club if they want to make an impact, that’s just the reality of the situation and that completion can only be positive for the club.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024