Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front 13:07 - Mar 30 with 1168 viewsAsa

A very smart move for so many reasons, but you'd imagine someone identifying talent for Manchester United will have contacts the world over and also a huge database of players not deemed good enough for them that may not have lived up to their potential and could be viable options for us and absolute stars here.

Does anyone know what the current situation is with work permits, EU players, those from overseas etc. It's all well and good being aware of the next Taricco, Guentchev or Petta, but there seem to be so many rules now, post Brexit especially, that prevent players from signing for us, that I wondered what our worldwide market is likely to be reduced to, assuming we now have this huge scope for player identification.

Is it still the case that players with international caps are likely to be granted work permits and does this apply to U23 / U18 internationals?
[Post edited 30 Mar 2022 13:11]
Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front on 13:09 - Mar 30 with 1137 viewsDanTheMan

On the work permit front, essentially it's a points system that is a combination of their international record and the division they play in.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/12/work-permits-premier-league-post-brexit-e

Given the points needed it seems highly unlikely that we'd be able to get anyone on work permits in.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front on 13:17 - Mar 30 with 1084 viewsElephantintheRoom

Hostile environment and zero chance of getting unknown foreigners in.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front on 13:22 - Mar 30 with 1065 viewsSwansea_Blue

Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front on 13:09 - Mar 30 by DanTheMan

On the work permit front, essentially it's a points system that is a combination of their international record and the division they play in.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/12/work-permits-premier-league-post-brexit-e

Given the points needed it seems highly unlikely that we'd be able to get anyone on work permits in.

It'd be interesting to see a list of former players who we couldn't have signed under the new rules. I suspect there'd be a few.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front on 13:25 - Mar 30 with 1049 viewsAsa

Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front on 13:17 - Mar 30 by ElephantintheRoom

Hostile environment and zero chance of getting unknown foreigners in.

It seems limited for sure, which is a shame given that it would likely give us a significant advantage in being able to use resources that other League One clubs cant afford.

It seems there must be some favourable criteria though as some overseas players have been coming in. Then there's the likes of Berahino, a Burundi born Burundi international who had been in Belgium and China I think for the last few years, so presumably some criteria there to allow a player to return here who has been here as a child or played here recently (unless it was all agreed on recent international caps). If there's some criteria there for returning players for example, I suppose there could be some past Premier League / Championship players that have left the country in the last few years that would qualify for us, like Berahino has at another League One club.

It's only a few years really since the likes of Bru, Baijner, Shumilikovski, Brekke-Skard. I'd like to think the quality would be a lot better but even those types of players we'd have seen in recent times seem to be out of reach now, but then I guess if Bru was playing regularly for Mauritius, then there's a chance he could sneak in based on their world ranking and frequency of playing time.

Would be fascinated to know what, if any, realistic avenues the club has now for going after such talent, with it seemingly being this massive resource we could now tap into, but likely can't.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2022 13:27]
Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front on 13:39 - Mar 30 with 1003 viewsDanTheMan

Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front on 13:25 - Mar 30 by Asa

It seems limited for sure, which is a shame given that it would likely give us a significant advantage in being able to use resources that other League One clubs cant afford.

It seems there must be some favourable criteria though as some overseas players have been coming in. Then there's the likes of Berahino, a Burundi born Burundi international who had been in Belgium and China I think for the last few years, so presumably some criteria there to allow a player to return here who has been here as a child or played here recently (unless it was all agreed on recent international caps). If there's some criteria there for returning players for example, I suppose there could be some past Premier League / Championship players that have left the country in the last few years that would qualify for us, like Berahino has at another League One club.

It's only a few years really since the likes of Bru, Baijner, Shumilikovski, Brekke-Skard. I'd like to think the quality would be a lot better but even those types of players we'd have seen in recent times seem to be out of reach now, but then I guess if Bru was playing regularly for Mauritius, then there's a chance he could sneak in based on their world ranking and frequency of playing time.

Would be fascinated to know what, if any, realistic avenues the club has now for going after such talent, with it seemingly being this massive resource we could now tap into, but likely can't.

I think for say Berahino, he was here as a child and so qualified to play for England so someone like him wouldn't be a problem as they are a British national I would assume.

I think as well there were special permits or something granted to those who were already playing football in the UK who would not have met the criteria to allow them to continue playing but I cannot recall the details.

Bru is an example of someone who I could not see getting a work permit. Played a reasonable amount of games in Bulgarian league which is band 6. If we assume he played all the games he'd have got two points from that, I don't think any points from his Mauritius games as they hadn't played any games and maybe some points from a couple of Europa League appearances. Assuming he got a maximum from that (5) and even if he got points for playing for Mauritius he'd still be some way from the required 15 points.

EDIT: Might have also got an additional two points for just being in a matchday squad for a band 6 league, but still that'd be at about eleven I think, if they had appeared internationally.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2022 13:44]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front on 13:44 - Mar 30 with 967 viewsMattinLondon

Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front on 13:39 - Mar 30 by DanTheMan

I think for say Berahino, he was here as a child and so qualified to play for England so someone like him wouldn't be a problem as they are a British national I would assume.

I think as well there were special permits or something granted to those who were already playing football in the UK who would not have met the criteria to allow them to continue playing but I cannot recall the details.

Bru is an example of someone who I could not see getting a work permit. Played a reasonable amount of games in Bulgarian league which is band 6. If we assume he played all the games he'd have got two points from that, I don't think any points from his Mauritius games as they hadn't played any games and maybe some points from a couple of Europa League appearances. Assuming he got a maximum from that (5) and even if he got points for playing for Mauritius he'd still be some way from the required 15 points.

EDIT: Might have also got an additional two points for just being in a matchday squad for a band 6 league, but still that'd be at about eleven I think, if they had appeared internationally.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2022 13:44]

You’d think that with footballers earning more than the average wage the government wouldn’t be so strict with work permits. But instead just think of the tax they could claim from their wages.
Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front (n/t) on 14:57 - Mar 30 with 851 viewsMatterhorn

Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front on 13:44 - Mar 30 by MattinLondon

You’d think that with footballers earning more than the average wage the government wouldn’t be so strict with work permits. But instead just think of the tax they could claim from their wages.

Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front on 15:00 - Mar 30 with 844 viewsMatterhorn

Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front on 13:44 - Mar 30 by MattinLondon

You seem to be forgetting, this government only wants to make the less well off poorer!
Login to get fewer ads

Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front on 15:30 - Mar 30 with 791 viewsBluespeed225

Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front on 13:25 - Mar 30 by Asa

I don't think Brekke-Skard would be out of reach. Colchester would think twice!
Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front on 16:15 - Mar 30 with 738 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Ashton seemed to suggest last summer that as general rule if we were looking abroad we'd need to be a championship club to attract the calibre of player to meet the criteria.

Santi shows it is possible though

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Very exciting to see a world of options open up on the scouting front on 17:59 - Mar 30 with 629 viewsFrimleyBlue

Going off Ashton's interview just now, seems we might be seeing some players from abroad.

Love that we don't really have 2 lists depending on what league we are in.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024