Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The people running our club 08:03 - Mar 31 with 2780 viewsVic

It’s a pleasant change to feel that the people running our club actually know more about football than us lot on here!

Listening to the interviews we get, the fans forums, etc it’s just hit me how much these guys seem to know, how in control they are and how clear a strategy they have. For the last several years it really felt that we might know as much as those in the club - (owner, ceo - and sometimes even the manager!!)

I’m excited for next season and truly hope that this time, this time the results match the optimism.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

The people running our club on 08:07 - Mar 31 with 2046 viewsDubtractor

Its a massive step up from a 5 point plan hastily written on the back of a fag packet isn't it?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The people running our club on 08:27 - Mar 31 with 1999 viewshomer_123

Much in the same way I was not interested in what our previous owner had to say (when he did communicate) - I'm not getting carried away with our new incumbents.

Not being negative but words are easy - it's the implementation we've always had a problem with.

Since KM has joined, I think those plans look a little more achievable than they ever did under Cook and it looks like we are building well behind the scenes.

It feels like we are in a far better position than we have been for many years but the cold hard reality is we will likely still be playing L1 football next season.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2022 8:29]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The people running our club on 08:34 - Mar 31 with 1968 viewsElephantintheRoom

Just remember it’s hot air backed with 100% borrowed money based on a business plan drawn up before Russian money became dirty. Things have changed a bit since then - including rampant inflation and very hard times ahead for average people. . Last time the club was run by a chancer spending money the club didn’t have like water it ended rather badly for the club - and rather well for Sheepshanks.

You may well find history is repeating itself.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

The people running our club on 08:35 - Mar 31 with 1960 viewsChurchman

It certainly does make a change. The days of being mugged off with promises of plans that didn’t exist, apart from cost saving, seem to be over..

I listened to Mark Ashton’s Bluemonday interview in addition to the forum and a year down the line, it’s clear the owners and he are serious about this and are are trying to rebuild the club from the ground up. The last bit of evidence for me, for some reason, was the buying of that parcel of land behind Churchmans. They clearly have a programme of projects and are in it for the long haul.

I also listened to Simon Milton’s interview. What a loss to the club he is. An interesting and engaging man. But it is clear he is very excited by club’s future, after becoming disillusioned with Evans and he knows better than anyone. I hope the club are able to use whatever spare time he has, along with others who know this club like Matt Holland.

It’s all good and if Mr Milton is optimistic, then so am I.
The people running our club on 08:41 - Mar 31 with 1914 viewsNthQldITFC

The people running our club on 08:34 - Mar 31 by ElephantintheRoom

Just remember it’s hot air backed with 100% borrowed money based on a business plan drawn up before Russian money became dirty. Things have changed a bit since then - including rampant inflation and very hard times ahead for average people. . Last time the club was run by a chancer spending money the club didn’t have like water it ended rather badly for the club - and rather well for Sheepshanks.

You may well find history is repeating itself.

Is it your birthday today? You seem unusually happy.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The people running our club on 08:51 - Mar 31 with 1880 viewshype313

The people running our club on 08:27 - Mar 31 by homer_123

Much in the same way I was not interested in what our previous owner had to say (when he did communicate) - I'm not getting carried away with our new incumbents.

Not being negative but words are easy - it's the implementation we've always had a problem with.

Since KM has joined, I think those plans look a little more achievable than they ever did under Cook and it looks like we are building well behind the scenes.

It feels like we are in a far better position than we have been for many years but the cold hard reality is we will likely still be playing L1 football next season.

Agreed, I also think people are lapping it up, especially the communication side of things, as we didn't have any for 14 years bar the odd interview in that time.

I think it's great that they are keen to engage with so many facets of the club, trying to involve as many people as possible, but lets not get away from the fact that in order for them to get any sort of return they need buy in from the fanbase, and at the moment it's a sales pitch. I haven't got a problem with that, and I have bought into it, but the proof will be in the pudding, or cheeseboard, whichever floats your boat.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The people running our club on 08:53 - Mar 31 with 1889 viewsFixed_It

But it isn't just words. Look at the recruitment. Look at the stadium. Look at the crowds. Look at the ...everything!

* well whatever the sales pitch, I'm in!
[Post edited 31 Mar 2022 8:54]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The people running our club on 08:53 - Mar 31 with 1856 viewsSouperJim

I think cautious optimism is probably wise, we've had our fingers burnt so many times before. It does genuinely feel like there is now more substance to what we are trying to achieve than there has been at any other time in the last 20 years, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and all that.

I'm also interested to know at what point gamechanger will want a return on the investment. If they can propel us into the top half of the championship within 5 years will they then sell to the highest bidder?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Login to get fewer ads

The people running our club on 08:59 - Mar 31 with 1809 viewsSteve_M

Yes, definitely. Ashton coming across as open and thanking TWTD and Blue Monday is just basics for a CEO in a public facing role really. It's nice that there are firm plans being unveiled to improve the club's infrastructure, even just to do basic maintenance, but there is a way to go before a) these things happen and b) we start seeing tangible results.

Still, it is an improvement that the club is apparently being run properly and by people prepared to listen to the concerns of fans. We're in a much better place off the pitch than we have been since 2002 I think.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The people running our club on 09:02 - Mar 31 with 1778 viewsvilanovablue

The people running our club on 08:53 - Mar 31 by SouperJim

I think cautious optimism is probably wise, we've had our fingers burnt so many times before. It does genuinely feel like there is now more substance to what we are trying to achieve than there has been at any other time in the last 20 years, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and all that.

I'm also interested to know at what point gamechanger will want a return on the investment. If they can propel us into the top half of the championship within 5 years will they then sell to the highest bidder?

If we are in the top half of the championship we'll be a much more attractive proposition. I'd also suggest we may also be giving them the return on investment that they might be looking for in way that is not unlike Brentford.
The people running our club on 09:04 - Mar 31 with 1767 viewstextbackup

When I’m listening in it almost sounds too good to be true, and I almost don’t want to let myself get too excited/carried away…

However, if it ends up even half as good as I’m thinking then we will become a well established championship club, with the ability to push on and aim for playoffs

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The people running our club on 09:13 - Mar 31 with 1717 viewsElderGrizzly

The people running our club on 09:02 - Mar 31 by vilanovablue

If we are in the top half of the championship we'll be a much more attractive proposition. I'd also suggest we may also be giving them the return on investment that they might be looking for in way that is not unlike Brentford.

I'm not sure getting in the top half of the Championship will get them the return they need.

As to get there, we are going to have to spend a significant amount of money.

Only PL money and the increase in value that brings to the club will start to see a return. And then maybe only a couple of years of staying there.

If we get to the PL, you'd expect they will have spent the best part of £100m+ to get there.

I fully expect we will be buying (relatively) cheap and selling high along the way as part of that ROI too.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2022 9:14]
The people running our club on 09:15 - Mar 31 with 1695 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The people running our club on 08:41 - Mar 31 by NthQldITFC

Is it your birthday today? You seem unusually happy.

Very much a, 'I got lucky last night', vibe.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

The people running our club on 09:28 - Mar 31 with 1646 viewshomer_123

The people running our club on 08:59 - Mar 31 by Steve_M

Yes, definitely. Ashton coming across as open and thanking TWTD and Blue Monday is just basics for a CEO in a public facing role really. It's nice that there are firm plans being unveiled to improve the club's infrastructure, even just to do basic maintenance, but there is a way to go before a) these things happen and b) we start seeing tangible results.

Still, it is an improvement that the club is apparently being run properly and by people prepared to listen to the concerns of fans. We're in a much better place off the pitch than we have been since 2002 I think.

20 years Steve....20 years.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The people running our club on 09:28 - Mar 31 with 1656 viewsOldFart71

I don't share anyone's view that this is going to fail. When McKenna came in he was something we have never had. In that he wasn't a failed manager or even one that was successful, sacked and then successful again. Or failed and then failed again. How many of them are there floating around. The problem with a majority of them is age. Many have set ideas, doesn't matter which players they have at their disposal they have to fit into a pattern. Some plod along such as McCarthy, some are brought in to save a club from relegation. In Towns case some were calling for an old fossil until the end of the season. I felt that it just needed someone to tweak what we had after all every man and his dog were proclaiming that we had the best or at least some of the best players in this league. I don't believe for one minute that all these guys are brought in to just fill places or make the club look good. They have a purpose. If they or McKenna fail they will go the same way as Paul Cook. Although in McKenna's case I do believe he will have a couple of season's after this one. But as we have seen since McKenna took over we probably are the best in this Division and with a couple of these players we currently have given another contract or signed permanently and another two or three signings we will romp this league.
The people running our club on 09:38 - Mar 31 with 1604 viewsChurchman

The people running our club on 08:59 - Mar 31 by Steve_M

The PR side of Ashton’s role is, I agree, just basics. But it’s a basic so many people in similar roles forget only too easily. It’s important.

The rebuilding of the club’s infrastructure and its off field activity (community stuff) is crucial to the club’s future. Without it, the club doesn’t have one as was evident from Evans’ disastrous ownership where the club was literally disappearing before our eyes.

Rebuilding the club has to start with planning and getting in the right people. The build part comes after that and in any project it always looks like nothing is happening until suddenly things start coming together. It takes time to see those tangible results. I’d be interested to know what their timings are.

So in 11 months of the new ownership, could we have expected to see more? On the field, yes. I thought with the resources we had, top two was a realistic target and we are well short. Fortunately we are better placed now with what looks like the right people in charge for next season.

Off it? They promised a short term tidy up, they are changing contracts on certain things, they’ve bought some land, have announced plans for limited work in the summer. I didn’t expect much more than that at this stage.

In terms of community stuff, I have no idea what’s happening with that, but overall it all feels like a start up phase to me. I believe optimism is justified and we are in a far better place than we’ve been in for years, despite what Captain Happy Elephant may think. Why not? We’ve earned the right after years of decay and nothingness. But this always has to be tempered with a little caution - for now.
The people running our club on 09:41 - Mar 31 with 1587 viewsSteve_M

The people running our club on 09:28 - Mar 31 by homer_123

20 years Steve....20 years.

I still remember fans getting very excited because ME did an 'interview' after McCarthy had left the club and everything was brilliant. There is a whole other level of detail coming from Ashton which is encouraging.

Yes, 20 years of decline. Six, maybe seven half-decent seasons in that and an awful lot of crap. It's also no wonder people like Ashton are so excited by the potential here.

The people running our club on 09:44 - Mar 31 with 1574 viewsDanTheMan

The people running our club on 09:41 - Mar 31 by Steve_M

I still remember fans getting very excited because ME did an 'interview' after McCarthy had left the club and everything was brilliant. There is a whole other level of detail coming from Ashton which is encouraging.

Yes, 20 years of decline. Six, maybe seven half-decent seasons in that and an awful lot of crap. It's also no wonder people like Ashton are so excited by the potential here.

That thread is still one of the funniest things. There was about three of us who thought it was rubbish and said nothing whilst loads of people thought it was incredible.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

The people running our club on 09:50 - Mar 31 with 1530 viewsGuthrum

The people running our club on 09:13 - Mar 31 by ElderGrizzly

I'm not sure getting in the top half of the Championship will get them the return they need.

As to get there, we are going to have to spend a significant amount of money.

Only PL money and the increase in value that brings to the club will start to see a return. And then maybe only a couple of years of staying there.

If we get to the PL, you'd expect they will have spent the best part of £100m+ to get there.

I fully expect we will be buying (relatively) cheap and selling high along the way as part of that ROI too.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2022 9:14]

Hence the emphasis on younger footballers and on developing players. That is the way to buy quality (relatively) cheap and add value.

Everything is set up towards that model, with so many of the coaching and recruitment teams having experience with Youth. Plus we've already seen it in operation. The sale of Downes and Dozzell covered an important chunk of last summer's transfer activity. It gets the club closer to break-even than could be managed any other way.

I think we'll be seeing a lot of good young players pass through ITFC in the coming seasons, but using their talent to improve our position while here.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The people running our club on 09:51 - Mar 31 with 1525 viewstextbackup

The people running our club on 09:44 - Mar 31 by DanTheMan

That thread is still one of the funniest things. There was about three of us who thought it was rubbish and said nothing whilst loads of people thought it was incredible.

Well done to you and the two others.

Assume you all got together to lead the in ground protests against him?

The people running our club on 09:57 - Mar 31 with 1495 viewsDanTheMan

The people running our club on 09:51 - Mar 31 by textbackup

Well done to you and the two others.

Assume you all got together to lead the in ground protests against him?

Damn right, had a bedsheet and everything.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

The people running our club on 10:00 - Mar 31 with 1484 viewsSteve_M

The people running our club on 09:38 - Mar 31 by Churchman

The PR side of Ashton’s role is, I agree, just basics. But it’s a basic so many people in similar roles forget only too easily. It’s important.

The rebuilding of the club’s infrastructure and its off field activity (community stuff) is crucial to the club’s future. Without it, the club doesn’t have one as was evident from Evans’ disastrous ownership where the club was literally disappearing before our eyes.

Rebuilding the club has to start with planning and getting in the right people. The build part comes after that and in any project it always looks like nothing is happening until suddenly things start coming together. It takes time to see those tangible results. I’d be interested to know what their timings are.

So in 11 months of the new ownership, could we have expected to see more? On the field, yes. I thought with the resources we had, top two was a realistic target and we are well short. Fortunately we are better placed now with what looks like the right people in charge for next season.

Off it? They promised a short term tidy up, they are changing contracts on certain things, they’ve bought some land, have announced plans for limited work in the summer. I didn’t expect much more than that at this stage.

In terms of community stuff, I have no idea what’s happening with that, but overall it all feels like a start up phase to me. I believe optimism is justified and we are in a far better place than we’ve been in for years, despite what Captain Happy Elephant may think. Why not? We’ve earned the right after years of decay and nothingness. But this always has to be tempered with a little caution - for now.

"But it’s a basic so many people in similar roles forget only too easily. It’s important."

Very true and I remain cautiously optimistic, as I think is Homer, rather than performatively cynical as certain other posters are.

The people running our club on 10:01 - Mar 31 with 1476 viewsGuthrum

The people running our club on 09:44 - Mar 31 by DanTheMan

Most people were just so pleased to hear anything from the ownership that it was bound to get a more favourable reaction.

Likewise with Ashton. The fans have been so starved of insight into thinking at the top, having to rely on sometimes mad speculation, that there is delight in what should be normal levels of information. Plus Ashton does communicate very well in a modern fashion, sharing stuff with the fans rather than talking at (or down to) them.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The people running our club on 10:03 - Mar 31 with 1477 viewsBasuco

The important part for me is that it looks like a structure is being put in place, there has to be off field income to back up match day income, otherwise just spending on the squad will not be financially sustainable. The club has to be built up to provide a competitive budget, whatever league we are in.
The people running our club on 10:03 - Mar 31 with 1466 viewstextbackup

The people running our club on 09:57 - Mar 31 by DanTheMan

Damn right, had a bedsheet and everything.

Good man

A bedsheet is better than doing absolutely nothing but moan on a forum about it

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024